It broke our damn spirit boys, like Bain.

rjdriver

Reaction score
That scene when Bane says "I was wondering what would break first? Your spirit or your body.

I've know all along. That pick has to do with everything. That effing pick broke our spirit. That effing pick has to do with Cable and Wilson, and Lynch, and Bevel, and RJdriver and Michael Bumpus, and the tiles falling down in the Kingdome and everything that remotely correlates with the Seattle Seahawks

None of this shit would have mattered had we run the ball in for the win. We were gifted a guarantee of immortality. FOOTBALL IMMORTALITY. We blew it. We will and deserve to be punished for a long time.

I haven't gotten over it. I never will. It requires a plethora of serendipity to win a super bowl. It requires momentum, and talent, and scheme, and timing, and scheduling, and Tanzania, and lack of injuries, and the stars aligning the proper way. All of it happened, and yet, we spit in its face. We should have all vicariously laid claim to two time super bowl championships.

Thats why this Card loss hurts so bad. That's why all this shit hurts so bad. Because we feel we deserve a do over. Something was wrong with the universe that night, and it must tip back right? It couldn't have happened. I fantasize in my mind giving the ball to Marshawn and envisioning the celebration in my head. I'm sick! I fantasize about that shit more than I do ringless' chick with the big tits. I repeat, these losses this year hurt so prodigiously because of that one damn play. I wouldn't give a rats ass if we were 0-9 if I was a back to back champion, but the "should have been" that "never was" is shattering my inner soul. I need help, it's not just a f-ing game to me.

That night last February friends...... They broke or spirit. They broke our damn spirt. That night took away my childhood. which is weird because I'm 43, but it did.

Oh Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I have mixed Ambien and a lot of alcohol before writing this, it may be intelligible and non sequitur , but to a man who's veins are laden with booze and pills, it makes total sense, so don't judge.

Hawks fan since 76'

peppersjap

Reaction score
I get what you are saying and am just as frustrated as you but don't buy it! We could have easily been a 7-9 team the year we won the Super Bowl but everything bounced in our direction that year. We had 4th quarter leads in all 9 games this year so we could be 9-0 but we are getting no bounces. That couldn't be better exemplified than on the play tonight when we had just taken the lead and Sherman moved in for the interception and he tipped it and the ball bounced up in the air and Floyd made the catch. That was a play that went our way 2 years ago. I would be embarrassed if we were 9-0 this year because we are yet to play a good game but I would take it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I know it's totally irrational, but I feel the same exact way. Each shitty loss takes me back to the utter WTF feeling I felt at the end of the bOWL--and mind you, I felt it before the ball was picked, I felt it as soon as I saw Russ wasn't going to hand the ball to Lynch against the 30th-ranked short yardage defense in the NFL.

Points for Michael Bumpus reference. Extra points for Kingdome ceiling tiles reference.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I feel for you guys that think and feel this way. Having watched this team since '76, all I ever asked the football gods for was one stinking Super Bowl win and I got that. HOWEVER, I do believe that the interception fractured this team emotionally and mentally. Not sure they'll ever recover from it though they're certainly young enough to do so. Whether they'll recover from the greed of demanding more money and the focus on endorsement deals and the like instead of winning football, hard to say. Doesn't look good right now.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Crazy but I was thinking the same thing ! Anybody who knows the emotional part of football knew that was bigger than a pick to lose the Super Bowl . We lost trust in the coaches and the team took a me me me attitude. We should have let the OC fall on the sword it was the right call to do that . We combined that loss with paying the quarterback millions and millions of dollars that has not proven he can win from the pocket with just faith that's biting us in the ass
And to get a weapon like Jimmy Graham and not do anything with him is just astonishing to me .should've stuck to our guns and stay true to ourselves we're ground running Power rushing team .and we toss our best offense lineman for a weapon that RW has no idea how to use or find

kearly

Reaction score
I don't know about the Bane analogy, (who would be Bane in this metaphor?), but I do think this season is the equivalent of the Dark Knight Rises: Overly antagonizing, painful, frustrating, way out of line with expectations, and can't go 15 minutes without having something happen that makes no damn sense.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
kearly":siyzb7ze said:
I don't know about the Bane analogy, (who would be Bane in this metaphor?), but I do think this season is the equivalent of the Dark Knight Rises: Overly antagonizing, painful, frustrating, way out of line with expectations, and can't go 15 minutes without having something happen that makes no damn sense.

This is pretty good ! Sounds about right to me! :th2thumbs:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I don't think it was that play.

If anything, it was the opposite. That play was a clear sign that Wilson was not ready and a highlight of the difference between hitching your wagon to Lynch for the win, or to Wilson. The FO just chose not to read the signs.

The SB looked for all the world like the team trying to annoint the new #1. The irony being, Lynch runs that in, Seattle wins, talk of Dynasty starts all over again and Madison Avenue jumps on the Wilson train quick. You would see him in all the same commercials you see Curry in now, x10. Oh, and everyone on this forum, myself included - would be erecting Russell Wilson statues in their backyards.

Bear in mind, I watched yesterday's game wearing a RW jersey, so it isn't like I hate the guy. But he needs to learn he is Andy Dalton, not Joe Montana. And, as the Bengals are showing, you CAN win with Andy Dalton - but you need to know your strengths and your weaknesses. Wilson's weakness is as a pocket passer. Maybe he can get better, but his strength is that on the move, he is very very difficult to defend.

The other strength is that he is tremendous at the RO. Now we are not seeing him keep as much, ostensibly to keep him healthy. But funny thing that, Wilson not running is getting hit twice as much AND the offense is incompetent/ineffective.

You have to remember he is a 3rd round pick. He has flaws. His agent conned the team into signing some ungodly high contract, but the team is worse without Wilson. The other problem is that a good portion of the team clearly doesn't like him.

Kind of hard to ignore the whispers at this point. Mike Rob leaves and the first thing that happens is he starts hinting about it. Tate too, though to Tate's credit he didn't near twist the knife like he could have.

This year the rumor was that the throw was Wilson's call and he deviated from the play. So what is the truth? Does it matter? There is clearly a faction without the locker room that is sick of Wilson getting all the credit, being the annointed one, and little of the blame. The team/marketing/media-relations needs to stop showcasing this guy as the savior and start showcasing the team. Maybe that will at least encourage the rest of the team to start rowing together in the same direction.

It was never the loss of soul. This team bet big on Wilson, put everything on him, and he just was never going to be able to deliver. The warnings were there. The whispers were all around. And Wilson's own conduct should have given them pause, but in making that bet - they closed the window to the SB for this year and likely next. Since that window was only open 2-3 more years, that is a problem.

That SB play was a warning, they chose not to listen to. Not a loss of soul, just a doubling down on a bad strategy that already lost us the SB. Wilson can still be a great QB, but he is years away from being able to put this team on his back - so the FO needs to stop expecting it and go with what works/has worked that made the team good.