Kelcie McCray for a 5th round pick

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Once again, the FO shows how well they manage the draft, although in this case thru trading a pick. Lots of attention (rightfully so) has been paid to the strong picks of Clark and Lockett, but they also traded a 5th round pick (very controversial at the time) for McCray and what they got back was our leader in Special Teams tackles (tied for 5th in the NFL) and now a very competent contributor to the secondary at SS signed thru next year. Schneider and his team continue to amaze me. Great trade.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah he has been a nice addition. I remember people not being mad that the FO got him, it just seemed like they paid more than what other teams were paying for similar role players. They were giving up 6th or 7th round picks and we gave up a 5th.

Doesn't matter much now, and it does seem like he was worth it.

OP
OP
marymoorhawk

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Given the track record of the FO I find it hard to believe they gave up a 5th when they could have offered a 6th or 7th and still got the player.

Having said that, from a pure value standpoint, just on his ST contributions alone he's worth a 5th. The fact that he looks like he can step in and contribute at SS is just icing on the cake.

sutz

Reaction score
HawkFan72":ky96w638 said:
Yeah he has been a nice addition. I remember people not being mad that the FO got him, it just seemed like they paid more than what other teams were paying for similar role players. They were giving up 6th or 7th round picks and we gave up a 5th.

Doesn't matter much now, and it does seem like he was worth it.
I'm generally skeptical of fan evaluations of trade/pick value anyway. :laugh:

In P&J I trust.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":3s3nqr2f said:
Given the track record of the FO I find it hard to believe they gave up a 5th when they could have offered a 6th or 7th and still got the player.

Having said that, from a pure value standpoint, just on his ST contributions alone he's worth a 5th. The fact that he looks like he can step in and contribute at SS is just icing on the cake.

From what I've seen when the FO knows what they want they put all their cards in. They do not hesitate and seem to understand their leverage very well.

We don't know how much this way of bargaining might build credit with other GMs either. Teams might like dealing with us cause we do not try to put one over on them.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":pc4b8sae said:
I'm generally skeptical of fan evaluations of trade/pick value anyway. :laugh:

In P&J I trust.
Now THAT is funny ^ :lol:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":2d01zuao said:

I agree completely, I was merely explaining what I remember fans being upset about. It wasn't McCray himself, just that they thought the FO paid too much. The FO obviously made the best deal they could for a player they thought would be an upgrade on STs. They were right.

Mick063

Reaction score
Unless you watch him in practice every day, all you can go on is what he does on game day.

He is, and always was, worth the fifth round pick. My eyes tell me so.

I don't recognize the amateur "expertise" to qualify his "value". I won't risk condemnation by adding further comment.

King Dog

Reaction score
Generally I feel like we get fleeced when we make trades. 7th for Barrett Ruud, 5th for Flynn, 7th for TJack, and 7th for Michael are some of the exceptions :)

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":3i4xa4sx said:
Once again, the FO shows how well they manage the draft, although in this case thru trading a pick. Lots of attention (rightfully so) has been paid to the strong picks of Clark and Lockett, but they also traded a 5th round pick (very controversial at the time) for McCray and what they got back was our leader in Special Teams tackles (tied for 5th in the NFL) and now a very competent contributor to the secondary at SS signed thru next year. Schneider and his team continue to amaze me. Great trade.
"Once again, the FO shows how well they manage the draft..."

Actually the Hawks have managed the draft quite poorly for several years. Many many wasted draft picks through bad trades, poor drafting when they keep their picks.

With Clark and Lockett you have just about their only draft successes in recent years.

Ever since we got the core of the team together (fantastic job Schneider) we have been among the worst teams in the NFL for trades AND drafting AND free agent contracts.

It would be cool if people would hit "refresh" on Schneider's GM profile because he has been awful for quite a while now.

Mick063

Reaction score
My refresh on Schneider:

There are more undrafted free agents on Seattle than on any other team. The team is poised for it's third trip to the Super Bowl in three years.

Testimony to both player evaluation (Schneider) and player development (coaching staff).

sutz

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":1k0urluw said:
marymoorhawk":1k0urluw said:

Actually the Hawks have managed the draft quite poorly for several years. Many many wasted draft picks through bad trades, poor drafting when they keep their picks.

With Clark and Lockett you have just about their only draft successes in recent years.

Ever since we got the core of the team together (fantastic job Schneider) we have been among the worst teams in the NFL for trades AND drafting AND free agent contracts.

It would be cool if people would hit "refresh" on Schneider's GM profile because he has been awful for quite a while now.
Yeah well thats just like your opinion man

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Man, I suck as a seahawk fan. I've never even noticed him in a game or knew he was on the roster. What number is he?

OP
OP
marymoorhawk

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2xherylv said:
marymoorhawk":2xherylv said:

This has to be the worst troll job I have seen in a long time (so long in fact it predates the last good draft by Schneider i guess ... ha). When the backbone of back to back SB teams was built thru the draft (and UDFA is part of that) I would say you have earned your rep. 2012 type drafts (ancient history I know) are once in a generation type events. The team has received solid contributions from picks in 13/14, just not to the same insanely high level. Getting 2 to 3 contributors in a draft is solid and most teams in the league would love that level of draft success . This has been a really tough roster to crack too.

Edit - there is this too. Most pro bowlers drafted in the last 5 drafts and it's not even close. Schneider is so overrated!
http://nypost.com/2015/04/25/an-exhaustive-ranking-of-every-nfl-teams-draft-haul-since-2010/

OP
OP
marymoorhawk

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":247ps82w said:
Man, I suck as a seahawk fan. I've never even noticed him in a game or knew he was on the roster. What number is he?

chris98251

Reaction score
Yep and another bunch of fans going dammit now I have to buy another jersey :)

HawkerD

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":fxjcwv9i said:
bjornanderson21":fxjcwv9i said:
marymoorhawk":fxjcwv9i said:

This has to be the worst troll job I have seen in a long time (so long in fact it predates the last good draft by Schneider i guess ... ha). When the backbone of back to back SB teams was built thru the draft (and UDFA is part of that) I would say you have earned your rep. 2012 type drafts (ancient history I know) are once in a generation type events. The team has received solid contributions from picks in 13/14, just not to the same insanely high level. Getting 2 to 3 contributors in a draft is solid and most teams in the league would love that level of draft success . This has been a really tough roster to crack too.

Edit - there is this too. Most pro bowlers drafted in the last 5 drafts and it's not even close. Schneider is so overrated!
http://nypost.com/2015/04/25/an-exhaustive-ranking-of-every-nfl-teamsi-draft-haul-since-2010/

2 or 3 contributors per draft is below average. 50% of the draft picks being contributors is about average. 2013/2014 there were 20 picks; Britt is the only starter. Jordan hill, Luke Wilson, Marsh and KPL are only a few other contributors from those two drafts. Stop being such a homer and see it for what it is. With only 25% of picks contributing (and barely for some of them) Those drafts were busts plain and simple.

Geologic

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":13loqdm9 said:
marymoorhawk":13loqdm9 said:

I agree. 2013 is looking like a disaster of a draft outside of Luke Willson (second string TE) and Jordan Hill. 2014 is a little better but by not much. Both 2013 and 2014 has no major contributors.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Geologic":1g7fiokt said:
bjornanderson21":1g7fiokt said:
marymoorhawk":1g7fiokt said:

I agree. 2013 is looking like a disaster of a draft outside of Luke Willson (second string TE) and Jordan Hill. 2014 is a little better but by not much. Both 2013 and 2014 has no major contributors.

2013 was a weak draft year overall throughout the league (Willson, Hill, Simon, and Michael are borderline talents with both failures and successes). But we also saw in 2013 a shift from Carroll as Chief Scout to John Schneider. It came the year after Schneider's greatest success in pushing for Carroll to draft Russell Wilson, who was not the prototypical height of Carroll's previous QBs. That is also when Carroll began to talk about the fact that his advantage, in having prior knowledge of players when he scouted them in college, was waning and more discretion would be given to Schneider. So I think there were some growing pains in dealing with those changes. However, the 2015 class looks stronger than 2013 or 2014. Tyler Lockett and Frank Clark have proven to be high quality starters. And they have four more players from that class who they are developing in the pipeline.