Kelcie McCray for a 5th round pick

Hustle_Wilson

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2c1vhx1t said:
Fun fact: Kam Chancellor and Richard Sherman are the only 5th Rounders in the last six years to become Pro Bowlers or All-Pros. That is TWO players out of the 218 players drafted in the 5th Round since 2010 or 0.9%.

Josh Norman will be on that list this year. Great stat.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
King Dog":xcess5wi said:
CurryStopstheRuns":xcess5wi said:
Willyeye":xcess5wi said:
marymoorhawk":xcess5wi said:
Given the track record of the FO I find it hard to believe they gave up a 5th when they could have offered a 6th or 7th and still got the player.

Having said that, from a pure value standpoint, just on his ST contributions alone he's worth a 5th. The fact that he looks like he can step in and contribute at SS is just icing on the cake.

They probably offered a 7th round pick and KC turned them down. They couldn't offer a 6th rounder because they didn't have one to trade...they traded it away earlier for CB Mohammed Seisay...I think he's on the IR.The good news is that the Hawks as of now have 3 comp picks...3rd round, 5th and 6th. They won't be official until next Spring, but they can't be traded anyway

They can be traded away beginning next draft.

I don't believe that is correct. I believe it's the draft after next. I could be wrong though.

You are

Willyeye

Reaction score
It is not allowed for teams to trade away Compensatory Draft Picks. Comp picks for 2016 are based on Free Agency losses in 2015. They don't become official draft picks until about 45 days before the draft. NONE of them may be used in a trade of any kind. There are no exceptions to this rule.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Seanhawk":lfhvi5ha said:
McCrary is now 33

No, McCrary was #99.

1996_MichaelMcCrary-(3).jpg

Nice. His blocked FG that was returned for the GW TD against the Oilers is one of the Seahawks' most fantastic finishes ever, but unfortunately it was during a '90s blackout game so it doesn't get mentioned as often as others (e.g., Krieg to Skansi vs. KC).

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Willyeye":38lrlzix said:
It is not allowed for teams to trade away Compensatory Draft Picks. Comp picks for 2016 are based on Free Agency losses in 2015. They don't become official draft picks until about 45 days before the draft. NONE of them may be used in a trade of any kind. There are no exceptions to this rule.

Please try to be better informed in the future. I can't be tasked with educating you in the future.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ars-draft/

sutz

Reaction score
I'd say the kid made some good plays today. Very serviceable. :th2thumbs:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Led the team in tackles, had a pass defended, but also looked a little lost at times. Failed to fill a lane that led to Cleveland's biggest play of of the game. Overall, not a bad performance for a career backup.

sutz

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3f8c4ik0 said:
Led the team in tackles, had a pass defended, but also looked a little lost at times. Failed to fill a lane that led to Cleveland's biggest play of of the game. Overall, not a bad performance for a career backup.
...and basically a street free agent. :229031_shrug:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Willyeye":aaovffpb said:
I think too many Hawk fans have been spoiled by 3 of the best drafts in NFL history.. There are a lot of factors that influence draft results.
--snip--

5. Trades have been a rough road for the Seahawks. I consider them more of an experiment. Taking a 22 year-old kid and molding them to fit the team is obviously much easier than trying to fit a diva like Harvin onto the team.
--snip Jimmy Graham stuff /snip--
I would also say this...a trade for a guy like Burley doesn't seem like much of a success story so far, but he could have actually been our savior for SB49. Tharold Simon, a draft pick who had a great season in 2014, dislocated his shoulder in Week 16. He truly should have been IR'ed...face it, he's no Earl Thomas. Then Maxwell got sick before the Divisional Round game against the Panthers, and Simon replaced him...he got schooled by Cam Newton in that game...he could barely run and tackle, obviously playing through a lot of pain. SB49 came...Carroll decided to keep Simon active and make Burley inactive. When Lane was injured, Carroll switched Maxwell to nickel and put in the injured Simon at RCB. Simon pretty much lost that game in the 4th quarter, but he honestly shouldn't have been playing. Had Burley been active, Pete could have replaced Lane with Burley at nickel, and left Maxwell at RCB. TB would not have engineered two TD drives in the 4th quarter and the Hawks would have won. Point being, Burley was the better choice, but it is clear example of how difficult it is for any new player to become a star on this team.

Nice analysis and recap of that part of things.
Just shows what a roll of the dice it all is, Pete having Simon active in SB49 and Burley inactive. I felt that way too, that Burley would have done way, way better than Simon at keeping up with the Pats small, quick receivers, where Simon got torched repeatedly. I don't know if the info on the extent of Simon's injuries was ever really disclosed. (Got any good links on it?) Had Pete had Burley activated, likely we win our 2nd ring.

What's interesting is we also lost the 2005 SBXL game, refs aside, because of a DB injury during the game that exposed our tissue-paper depth at that position. Marquand Manuel (our 2nd string SS after IR'ed Ken Hamlin) blew a hamstring in the 2nd quarter, and we put in a street free agent at SS in the biggest of games. (Etric Pruitt) Two Stealers TD's probably resulted from Manuel going out; the 76 yard Willie Parker TD run, and the trick play 43 yard TD. Not to excessively blame Pruitt specifically; the secondary functions as a unit, and when one part isn't on the same page, it screws up the whole unit. (Like Cary Williams did this year) In XLIX, Brady quickly figured out an injured Simon was the weak link and picked on him ad nauseum.

So in both Seahawks SB losses, it wasn't the megastars that the game hinged on, it was bottom-of-the-roster depth, specifically in DBs.

So I think the Kelcie McCray trade could/should be evaluated from the standpoint that this guy could be the difference in a huge game, a very serviceable backup SS who is killer on special teams. If Kam is unavailable, McCray looks way more serviceable than say, Dion Bailey, though in fairness Bailey was thrown in there and apparently is now a starter for the Jets, or at least starts when his competition is injured. McCray could easily make the difference against the Packers, Panthers, or Cards, or even our 1st round playoff opponent. The thing is, if McCray DOES make the difference, we will probably never know it. He'd make the difference, for example, by being assignment correct, causing Palmer to go to his 2nd and 3rd reads, taking an extra half second that causes him to get hit while throwing by Avril, and to throw up a wounded wobbler that turns into a pick 6 for Jeremy Lane. We'll all go, "Way to go, Avril and Lane!" and never know that McCray was the true key to the play.

On top of that, McCray, even though now playing SS for Kam, also has the ability to play FS for Earl Thomas, and be serviceable, should Earl be unavailable. Again, a capable fill-in there (vs. a street free agent) can keep a W from turning into a L.

All things considered, trading a 5th for Kelcie McCray is looking like a great value, almost a steal, at this point in the season.

Jville

Reaction score
There is indeed something to be said for timing and need as factors in the use of draft picks.

McCray filled an immediate hole on special teams and fortified the safety position. A late fifth round was ok in my book. That 6th round pick given up last year for Marcus Burley was also timely. It filled a roster hole .... immediately. Smart move last year as well.

I like backing a team that wakes up every morning thinking about how to get better and tapping into resources when opportunities present themselves.

For those who annually prefer hoarding and collecting draft picks for "next year" and enjoy wining and crying over current conditions, there is always Trent Baalke's outfit. Baalke has a legion of fans sitting on their hands.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":2oqg57ol said:
Given the track record of the FO I find it hard to believe they gave up a 5th when they could have offered a 6th or 7th and still got the player.

Having said that, from a pure value standpoint, just on his ST contributions alone he's worth a 5th. The fact that he looks like he can step in and contribute at SS is just icing on the cake.

His play at SS reminds me of our current secondary asst. Marquand Manuel. Doesn't bring the heat like Kam does, but is almost always in the right place. Also like Manuel, McCray is a great open field tackler, but has more speed/range.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Once Kam gets healthy, I hope his big-hit mentality comes alive for the post season. We need him to start rocking some of these TE's that now feel they can run roughshod on us. I don't know whether he's holding back because of the salary issue, or maybe he's taking all of the increased info on concussions to heart, but we need our enforcer back.

Jville

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":brwhhgoq said:
marymoorhawk":brwhhgoq said:

His play at SS reminds me of our current secondary asst. Marquand Manuel. Doesn't bring the heat like Kam does, but is almost always in the right place. Also like Manuel, McCray is a great open field tackler, but has more speed/range.

Marquand Manuel Correction: Marquand followed Dan Quinn to Atlanta where he serves as the Falcon's defensive backs coach.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That's probably a good comparison to Marquand Manuel. Highly serviceable solid player, may not make the Pro Bowl, but does their job.

Didn't know Manuel followed Quinn. That overall continuity of secondary coaches issue may have been one more factor in our early season secondary woes, where coaches called in coverages, and two guys were playing the called coverage, but 2 others weren't.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
HawkerD":3592t75i said:
marymoorhawk":3592t75i said:
bjornanderson21":3592t75i said:
marymoorhawk":3592t75i said:
Once again, the FO shows how well they manage the draft, although in this case thru trading a pick. Lots of attention (rightfully so) has been paid to the strong picks of Clark and Lockett, but they also traded a 5th round pick (very controversial at the time) for McCray and what they got back was our leader in Special Teams tackles (tied for 5th in the NFL) and now a very competent contributor to the secondary at SS signed thru next year. Schneider and his team continue to amaze me. Great trade.
"Once again, the FO shows how well they manage the draft..."

Actually the Hawks have managed the draft quite poorly for several years. Many many wasted draft picks through bad trades, poor drafting when they keep their picks.

With Clark and Lockett you have just about their only draft successes in recent years.

Ever since we got the core of the team together (fantastic job Schneider) we have been among the worst teams in the NFL for trades AND drafting AND free agent contracts.

It would be cool if people would hit "refresh" on Schneider's GM profile because he has been awful for quite a while now.

This has to be the worst troll job I have seen in a long time (so long in fact it predates the last good draft by Schneider i guess ... ha). When the backbone of back to back SB teams was built thru the draft (and UDFA is part of that) I would say you have earned your rep. 2012 type drafts (ancient history I know) are once in a generation type events. The team has received solid contributions from picks in 13/14, just not to the same insanely high level. Getting 2 to 3 contributors in a draft is solid and most teams in the league would love that level of draft success . This has been a really tough roster to crack too.

Edit - there is this too. Most pro bowlers drafted in the last 5 drafts and it's not even close. Schneider is so overrated!
http://nypost.com/2015/04/25/an-exhaustive-ranking-of-every-nfl-teamsi-draft-haul-since-2010/

2 or 3 contributors per draft is below average. 50% of the draft picks being contributors is about average. 2013/2014 there were 20 picks; Britt is the only starter. Jordan hill, Luke Wilson, Marsh and KPL are only a few other contributors from those two drafts. Stop being such a homer and see it for what it is. With only 25% of picks contributing (and barely for some of them) Those drafts were busts plain and simple.

Jeeze Louise! You want to see a 50% contribution by draftees when the roster has been pretty-much set with talent?! Send a letter to the NFL asking them to double the size of the active roster. Then ask yourself who's being blind in this case?

Latest posts