Surprise cuts?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Every year there are a few guys who look poised to make the 53 but end up just falling outside the cut. Here are some guys I think won't be with us through 2016.

1. Tharold Simon, someone with great potential who just can't seem to stay on the field. With Sherman, Lane, Burley and Shead being as good as locked it, I don't think Simon will win one of the two remaining spots. I personally think those will go to Tye Smith and Stanley Jean Baptiste.

2. Cassius Marsh, a personal favorite of mine but I don't really see much of a role left for him. At LEO we now have Avril, Clark and Clemons. I also doubt he'll be able to lock down a spot as a pure LB as I don't trust his coverage skills enough for that.

3. Jordan Hill, with the addittion of a couple of very promising DTs in Reed, Jefferson and Bryant he might just not make the cut this year after a disappointing 2015.

4. Justin Britt, with his move to center it seems like he's truely out of the G/T conversation now. With Lewis, Hunt and Sokoli I think we have more than enough talent at the position (experience, technicality and athleticism respectively). I don't think there will be a spot for him come september, not even as swing tackle as that job will most likely go to Sowell.

5. Paul Richardson, even though I'm still optimistic about his potential it might be the time for us to move on. Just like Simon he's way too injury prone and in a year where I think we're only going to keep 5 WRs he might just miss out.

You guys got anyone who you think will fall short or disagree with one of my picks? Feel free to speak your minds.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
I agree with your picks, but I don't think Marsh gets cut due to the signing of Clemons. Clemons is old, I just don't think Marsh has done enough to merit a roster spot.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I see Britt being cut but not the rest but I commend you for trying to come up with some names that would definitely be surprising and your reasoning isn't all that far off either. I think Simon and Richardson in particular offer too much value when healthy and their upside is too high to give up on. All this to say that I probably just sealed their fate and they will be cut shortly.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Unless they murder someone there is zero - ZERO - chance that either Marsh or Richardson gets cut. The only one of those 5 that I could realistically see not making the final 53 is Simon.

titan3131

Reaction score
KPL
Brock Coyle
Marsh
Simon
Christine michael
Terrell (safety)

all of them are on the bubble.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Jordan Hill maybe. He only has one year left on his contract and had a down year. They traded up to draft someone who plays the same position in Jefferson.

Britt could happen. Depends on how they feel at the d

They really like Marsh on special teams.

Paul Richardson? Since when does tearing your ACL late in your rookie season make you injury prone?
He never really got right from it and ended up with a bad hamstring injury. He isn't suffering a multiple sprained ankles and missing a game here or a game there.Golden Tate didn't emerge till year three.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Overseasfan":fhza1c05 said:
Every year there are a few guys who look poised to make the 53 but end up just falling outside the cut. Here are some guys I think won't be with us through 2016.

1. Tharold Simon, someone with great potential who just can't seem to stay on the field. With Sherman, Lane, Burley and Shead being as good as locked it, I don't think Simon will win one of the two remaining spots. I personally think those will go to Tye Smith and Stanley Jean Baptiste.

2. Cassius Marsh, a personal favorite of mine but I don't really see much of a role left for him. At LEO we now have Avril, Clark and Clemons. I also doubt he'll be able to lock down a spot as a pure LB as I don't trust his coverage skills enough for that.

3. Jordan Hill, with the addittion of a couple of very promising DTs in Reed, Jefferson and Bryant he might just not make the cut this year after a disappointing 2015.

4. Justin Britt, with his move to center it seems like he's truely out of the G/T conversation now. With Lewis, Hunt and Sokoli I think we have more than enough talent at the position (experience, technicality and athleticism respectively). I don't think there will be a spot for him come september, not even as swing tackle as that job will most likely go to Sowell.

5. Paul Richardson, even though I'm still optimistic about his potential it might be the time for us to move on. Just like Simon he's way too injury prone and in a year where I think we're only going to keep 5 WRs he might just miss out.

You guys got anyone who you think will fall short or disagree with one of my picks? Feel free to speak your minds.

Simon will be the starting RCB...and will play great. Why everyone expects the Seahawks to cut him after he played great when healthy and with him being healthy now is perplexing to me. Like getting rid of a brand new car because you blew a couple tires.

I think Clemons and Browner might get cut. Their attitudes are great in a locker room, but their play has dwindled because of their age. They'll be among the final cuts.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Simon starting wouldn't surprise me at all. Guy is loaded with talent and if he stays healthy in camp he has a great chance to start.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":20fouwkq said:
All 5 of those make the final 53.

I agree. Simon is the only one that is a possibility IMO.

Linebackers KPL and Coyle are possibilities. Although I love KPL, he hasn't been mentioned at all in the discussion.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
For those of you saying Coyle, who's the backup MLB if that happens?

I see Britt and Hill being very distinct possibilities in the OP's list.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Doubt we cut Jordan Hill in a contract year, he's flashed enough ability. Think we'll give him one last shot at putting a consistent year together.

Marsh was pretty great on special teams down the stretch, FO values that greatly.

We've shown a tendency to be pretty brutal when it comes to dealing with the O-line though, I could see Britt being cut.

seahawks51usc

Reaction score
I can see Browner being cut if the coaching staff determines he's lost a step. Same with Clemons. Both re-signed with Seattle for very little guaranteed money.

KPL could be cut if Pinkins outplays him.

One of Britt/Sokoli will be cut if Pericak outplays them.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1mst082r said:
For those of you saying Coyle, who's the backup MLB if that happens?

I see Britt and Hill being very distinct possibilities in the OP's list.

[youtube]m9fxoT9V9q8[/youtube]

Very instintive linebacker who plays with aggression that borders on reckless. Plays with a lot of passion and is a good tackler. He does play out of control sometimes, leading him to overrun plays.

IMO he plays like Earl, if Earl was a linebacker.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
austinslater25":2yehltts said:
I see Britt being cut but not the rest but I commend you for trying to come up with some names that would definitely be surprising and your reasoning isn't all that far off either. I think Simon and Richardson in particular offer too much value when healthy and their upside is too high to give up on. All this to say that I probably just sealed their fate and they will be cut shortly.

IMO there is ZERO chance Britt get's cut. He's way too valuable as a backup then any other player as he can play either Tackle or Guard. He would be important as our 6-7 dressed OLman.

cheese22

Reaction score
Morgan, Clemons and Browner seem like the most obvious. Morgan is a guy that can play a whole game and you don't hear his name. Clemons and Browner just aren't close to what they were and have younger guys waiting to make their mark on this team.
I think PRich and Hill are too young and talented to give up on. Britt learning to play C means he could play all 5 spots on the line (which could also save Soko for another year) which obviously adds value.
One name I wouldn't be surprised to see traded is Michael. To me he's too inconsistent to rely on and we drafted a lot of talent in the backfield.

kearly

Reaction score
Good topic.

For me I think the "surprise" cuts are always the guys who play well in the preseason but get cut/released anyway. Guys like Jaye Howard, Ron Parker, Kevin Smith, Allen Bradford, Mike Morgan, Ricardo Lockette, Jermaine Kearse, etc. Sometimes those guys end up back with the team, sometimes they don't. I remember being surprised when they were cut because they played well in the preseason and had seemingly earned a roster spot with their play. The team's decision to keep John Lotulelei over Jaye Howard was probably the angriest I've been at a Seahawks move since the Aaron Curry pick. As much as I love PCJS, they have roster cuts every year that leave me scratching my head.

Regarding the players mentioned in the OP (Simon, Marsh, Hill, Britt, Richardson):

Simon. Seattle is thin at outside corner especially if the team views Lane as a slot corner. That said, Simon is a UFA after this season so there isn't much incentive to hold onto him for future development. It's pretty much put up or shut up time for him. Decent chance he is gone.

Marsh. He's a good special teamer but so far has been CFL caliber as a defensive lineman. If he takes well to a SAM role he could make the team, but he could be at a disadvantage against Morgan and Pinkins who are both excellent athletes. Good chance he is gone.

Hill. Jordan Hill has never been a true pass rusher. People got way too carried away with his flourish of sacks late in 2014 without noticing that pretty much all of those sacks were of the cleanup variety (the kind of sacks Lawrence Jackson specialized in). Very rarely is Jordan Hill the first player to arrive at a QB, and if he is, it's probably because the guard he beat made a glaring mistake. However, Hill is still a player with a decently fast first step who is evolving into a solid run stopper. Last year he was a well rounded DT, albeit a replacement-level one. As a backup, for dirt cheap, that has value. The biggest knock on him for me is his health. I think he stays as a backup.

Britt. Moving him to center feels like a last ditch effort. There are going to be winners and losers on the OL this August. Britt has better physical tools than Hunt or Lewis so it should be an interesting experiment. Versatility will help his cause.

Richardson. He has another cheap year left after 2016 and his skillset fits the current offense very nicely. He looked ahead of schedule as a rookie before his injury. Durability is a concern but the Seahawks have excellent depth at WR. Even if he gets injured again, I think Seattle would want him back for one last try in 2017.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Offense - Christine Michael
Defense - Kevin Pierre-Lewis

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Basis4day":1vv0o8u2 said:
Jordan Hill maybe. He only has one year left on his contract and had a down year. They traded up to draft someone who plays the same position in Jefferson.

Britt could happen. Depends on how they feel at the d

They really like Marsh on special teams.

Paul Richardson? Since when does tearing your ACL late in your rookie season make you injury prone?
He never really got right from it and ended up with a bad hamstring injury. He isn't suffering a multiple sprained ankles and missing a game here or a game there.Golden Tate didn't emerge till year three.
Your idea of injury-prone is incorrect.

Injury-prone DOES NOT mean you get the same injury over and over, it just means you keep getting injured.

If someone misses time with a leg inury, and then misses more time the next season with another leg injury, then it appears that player is prone to leg injuries.

He missed 4 games as a Freshman, then tore his ACL and missed the next season. Then he had his injuries in the NFL.

3 out of his last 4 seasons have ended with leg injuries.

Does he need to have 4 out of 5 ended early? 5 out of 6? 6 out of 7?

Paul Richardson is VERY injury-prone.