The Official I Love Bevell Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
He needs some love on here. Too many "I hate Bevell" and Fire Bevell" threads out there. Let's show the guy some love.

I love you Bevell and think you do a very solid job.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Good idea. I just think he's the best fit to make our offense successful. He's a good teacher, sets up a solid gameplan and makes the necessary in-game adjustments to keep our offense in rhythm and exploit opposing defenses.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I don't love him, but I do think he get's a worse rap than he deserves. Sometimes I wonder what's going on with him, like a swing pass to Cmike on 2nd & 20. Other times he puts together insane game plans like the 2nd half of last season. I'm hoping to see a lot more of the later and less of the former.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I have to confess to having NO OPINION regarding the Hawks' OC. (Blasphemy, I know!) I just don't have anything like the amount of information or background to offer any worthwhile evaluation.

I'm just a schlub who watches the games and gets overly emotional regarding officiating and NFL garbage, like the continued existence of the Patriots.

Gimme one more Super Bowl, and I can retire and have drinks with Marshawn.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
I have no idea either how to evaluate Bev's relative value to other NFL OC's aside from the obvious stats - in which most of his offenses do excel, but will say this about his impression on just a personal/chemistry people level from watching his many pressers:

Bevell comes across as obviously bright, plenty optimistic, analytically acute, and enthusiastic. He must be at least as good people-wise as practically any other NFL caliber OC in 'presence of mind.'

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I love to hate Bevell.

Don't ya just love bubble screens doomed to failure on long yardage?

Runs up the gut by rookies on long yardage out of shotgun for half a yard gained?

Dink and dunk all day when Russel is fully capable of the deep ball?

Ignoring Graham in the end zone?

Those tricky third and 24 draw plays?

Play action when the line is folding like a house of cards and there is a -50% chance anyone on the opposing defense is gonna buy it?

Not running beast mode in a SuperbOwl and costing us the game?

Oh so much to love about Bevell. :34853_doh: :pukeface:

Thing is, in all seriousness, about perhaps 30% of the time the guy shows flashes of brilliance, but screwing the pooch the other 70% of the time kinda wrecks it for him.

Yep, would love him a lot more if he was head coach in say Cleveland? :34853_doh:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Umm.. Aren't there several other, mostly boring, threads for Bev-bashing already?

McGruff

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":2xvajsl5 said:
I have to confess to having NO OPINION regarding the Hawks' OC. (Blasphemy, I know!) I just don't have anything like the amount of information or background to offer any worthwhile evaluation.

I'm just a schlub who watches the games and gets overly emotional regarding officiating and NFL garbage, like the continued existence of the Patriots.

Gimme one more Super Bowl, and I can retire and have drinks with Marshawn.

Refreshing non-opinion.

I think given the total execution failures against Arizona, it is impossible to accurately evaluate the offensive gameplan last week.

Byond that, this has been the most consistent and productive offense in the history of the Franchise for the last 4-5 years, and I refuse to believe that is IN SPITE of Bevell. Or that Wilson has developed into a great QB IN SPITE of Bevell.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I'm with VivaEfrenHerrera. I don't really have a strong opinion about Bevell. I probably could say good and bad things about him, but I don't know enough about him versus the other 31 guys in the league who do his job. It seems to work out overall for the Seahawks having him around, and his job and how it looks is complicated.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I love Bevell like the love I would show for an ex-wife who kept trying to take a dump in the sink even though she's been shown repeatedly there's a better, simpler way.

SeaChat

Reaction score
Darrell Bevell reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield, a now deceased comedian, for those of you too young to remember, who is most remembered for the one liner " Sheesh I Get No Respect Around Here:" !

That pretty well sums up Darrell Bevell in a nut shell here on Seahawks.net, anyways. In many other circles he is a highly respected professional Offensive Coordinator.

I have read easily thousands of pages and post throughout this forum bashing the crap out of this guy. I don't know how he does it. He comes up to the podium and delivers a press conference with a room full of reporters, knowing that a lot of his haters from Seahawks.net, are setting at home watching him on their TVs, and ridiculing him aloud in their living rooms, with their families concerning themselves with the sanity of those select viewers, who are probably in part convinced that Darrell can actually hear the profanities they are lodging at him, or their families would think so anyhow. I say this from my own personal experiences with two sons, one of which is a Bevell hater and has been forever.

When I read through the post out there aimed at Darrell, I see the Seahawks family "Scape Goat", that is the fall guy who takes all the heat for everything that is inherently wrong with the rest of family. The Scape Goat makes it easy to excuse everyone else's failures when things don't work out, or go our way. He seems to take on the role pretty well, having constantly taken responsibility for just about everything we throw at him, even when there is clear evidence that what happened was totally out of his control, he will still make excuses for everyone else and blame himself for any significant failures

The other night was a classic Darrell Bevell example. In a press conference he excused the horrible and obvious barrage of Offensive Holding penalties heaped on us the other night in Arizona, actually saying that it was his fault for not doing a better job of getting the offensive linemen to quit holding to protect Russell and trust instead that Russell could work his way out of danger if they failed to block a defender.

While there was marginal truth in what he was saying, he demonstrated incredible selflessness and humility, shouldering responsibility for all of those penalty yards on his shoulders, knowing in advance that a lot of haters out there looking for someone to blame would gladly take his head on a platter, instead of focusing on the officiating crew who clearly were aimed at stacking up obstacles to Seattle's offensive success that night, given that identical "infractions" were being committed as often and in many cases much more obviously than the Seahawks Oline, and were not being held accountable for even a fraction of what was heaped on Seattle's front steps.

I look back over the years that Bevell has been acting as the Offensive Coordinator for the Seahawks, since 2011 for the record, and in these past 5 years the Seahawks have had more Offensive and Defensive successes than they had enjoyed in all the years prior to his arrival in Seattle.

I think the guy gets a bad wrap as a person and as an Offensive Coordinator. Once we weed our way though all the armchair Quarter Backs and find our way into the brains of various authorities and experienced players and coaches throughout the NFL, we find an entirely different take on Darell,.

The truth is most of our opponents fear him. They know this guy is very good at his craft. Like so many like to think, he is not setting there playing spin the football to see what the next play is he is going to call in. His mind is like a super computer, constantly processing numbers, what are the chances of this play working on this down and how many yards will it earn us if it's successful and if not what options is it going to lead to on the next play he calls in.

When its all a success and we kick the crap out of our opponents with our Offense, everyone jumps in and starts praising the players involved in the individual plays that led to our success, but little if anything is ever said about the great play calling that allowed all of these guys to shine and succeed in that battle.

Darrell sets back while we al sing their praises of the players and their rolls in and joins in their praises himself. Never saying " hold on just a damn minute there, how about a little love here for the true genius behind the scenes that made this whole thing possible".

I personally think that Darell Bevell has been a God send to the Seattle Seahawks and I think had he not been with us we wouldn't be where we are today and wouldn't have accomplished what we have over the years he has been with us.

Largent80

Reaction score
pacific101":7xewr5u1 said:
Darrell Bevell reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield, a now deceased comedian, for those of you too young to remember, who is most remembered for the one liner " Sheesh I Get No Respect Around Here:" !

That pretty well sums up Darrell Bevell in a nut shell here on Seahawks.net, anyways. In many other circles he is a highly respected professional Offensive Coordinator.

I have read easily thousands of pages and post throughout this forum bashing the crap out of this guy. I don't know how he does it. He comes up to the podium and delivers a press conference with a room full of reporters, knowing that a lot of his haters from Seahawks.net, are setting at home watching him on their TVs, and ridiculing him aloud in their living rooms, with their families concerning themselves with the sanity of those select viewers, who are probably in part convinced that Darrell can actually hear the profanities they are lodging at him, or their families would think so anyhow. I say this from my own personal experiences with two sons, one of which is a Bevell hater and has been forever.

When I read through the post out there aimed at Darrell, I see the Seahawks family "Scape Goat", that is the fall guy who takes all the heat for everything that is inherently wrong with the rest of family. The Scape Goat makes it easy to excuse everyone else's failures when things don't work out, or go our way. He seems to take on the role pretty well, having constantly taken responsibility for just about everything we throw at him, even when there is clear evidence that what happened was totally out of his control, he will still make excuses for everyone else and blame himself for any significant failures

The other night was a classic Darrell Bevell example. In a press conference he excused the horrible and obvious barrage of Offensive Holding penalties heaped on us the other night in Arizona, actually saying that it was his fault for not doing a better job of getting the offensive linemen to quit holding to protect Russell and trust instead that Russell could work his way out of danger if they failed to block a defender.

While there was marginal truth in what he was saying, he demonstrated incredible selflessness and humility, shouldering responsibility for all of those penalty yards on his shoulders, knowing in advance that a lot of haters out there looking for someone to blame would gladly take his head on a platter, instead of focusing on the officiating crew who clearly were aimed at stacking up obstacles to Seattle's offensive success that night, given that identical "infractions" were being committed as often and in many cases much more obviously than the Seahawks Oline, and were not being held accountable for even a fraction of what was heaped on Seattle's front steps.

I look back over the years that Bevell has been acting as the Offensive Coordinator for the Seahawks, since 2011 for the record, and in these past 5 years the Seahawks have had more Offensive and Defensive successes than they had enjoyed in all the years prior to his arrival in Seattle.

I think the guy gets a bad wrap as a person and as an Offensive Coordinator. Once we weed our way though all the armchair Quarter Backs and find our way into the brains of various authorities and experienced players and coaches throughout the NFL, we find an entirely different take on Darell,.

The truth is most of our opponents fear him. They know this guy is very good at his craft. Like so many like to think, he is not setting there playing spin the football to see what the next play is he is going to call in. His mind is like a super computer, constantly processing numbers, what are the chances of this play working on this down and how many yards will it earn us if it's successful and if not what options is it going to lead to on the next play he calls in.

When its all a success and we kick the crap out of our opponents with our Offense, everyone jumps in and starts praising the players involved in the individual plays that led to our success, but little if anything is ever said about the great play calling that allowed all of these guys to shine and succeed in that battle.

Darrell sets back while we al sing their praises of the players and their rolls in and joins in their praises himself. Never saying " hold on just a damn minute there, how about a little love here for the true genius behind the scenes that made this whole thing possible".

I personally think that Darell Bevell has been a God send to the Seattle Seahawks and I think had he not been with us we wouldn't be where we are today and wouldn't have accomplished what we have over the years he has been with us.

Walls of text and end with a simple.... :lol:

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
+1 to Pac101, good post.

Nobody is perfect, nobody on offense ever could be perfect with a rabid defense in your face trying just as hard, but as a good statistic of success long term W-L results do definitely factor.

Bevell is key to a demonstrably big-time, historically-successful NFL team.