Last play call was XLIX all over again

seabowl

Reaction score
Here we are, last shot at winning the game with a pretty obvious call to make. So what do we do? We end up trying to outsmart the other team by calling something they won't expect only to fail. Are we talking XLIX or today? Actually both. We all know in XLIX the call was handing it to Marshawn. A unique player that is built for those situations. Today we have virtually the same scenario with regards to having to score and have another unique player in Graham that was made for these situations, especially if you are going to jump ball. I just don't get it.

The OC of this team for the most part has hurt the offense and teams chances of reaching its potential for several years now. My guess is he is not going anywhere and only years from now will we find out what the coach, GM and owner saw in him that we the fans do not. Again I just don't get it.

Jville

Reaction score
Such outbursts are becoming highly predictable.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Seanhawk":17mf6upi said:
Not even close. Freakin' comical hyperbole.

Great objection. How about backing it up

hawk45

Reaction score
What was XLIX all over again was the inept clock management leading up to the final play.

getnasty

Reaction score
How do you know that the play wasn't designed for Graham? Sometimes the coverage dictates were the ball goes. Russell seen what he had and his mind was made up before the snap of the ball. I guarantee that if Jimmy Graham was line up were Kearse was there would have been Double coverage on him. This was nowhere close to the call in the Superbowl. Plus if Russell doesn't throw the ball out of the end zone maybe your saying how great the call was. Complain about everything before the last play all you want but the last one was the least of our worries.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Don't think so. However, it sure looked to me like RW was going to Kearse all the way. Never seemed to look anywhere else. And, am I wrong, or is the pylon considered part of the field of play? Because Kearse got his first foot down in the end zone, and his second foot smacked the pylon. If the pylon is part of the field, was that not a touchdown?

blue 22

Reaction score
we will be in this same situation next year and all the bevell apologists like seanhawk will still be defending him. :2thumbs:

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
seabowl":37xq7mtm said:
Seanhawk":37xq7mtm said:

Well one was a pass play against a team that couldnt stop the run. This was a pass play that didnt go to the receiever you prefer.

Its not a very good comparison

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":1fe9mk8s said:
seabowl":1fe9mk8s said:
Seanhawk":1fe9mk8s said:

Well one was a pass play against a team that couldnt stop the run. This was a pass play that didnt go to the receiever you prefer.

Its not a very good comparison

Any way you look at it Bevell got cute and used a Low Percentage play and used the wrong guy to throw it to.

Jville

Reaction score
This thread is simply yet another installment in a campaign to smear, blame and hate Darell Bevell. It's unmistakable. There will, no doubt, be many more threads launched by this campaign thru out the coming week.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
There are parallels. In 49 the play targeted our #5 receiver and here, if Kearse was indeed 1st read as it appeared, the play targeted our #3 or #4 receiver. When the game is on the line, Bevell with apparently Pete's acquiescence, has opted for "surprise" instead of plays targeting their very best players.

Simply, Bevell and Pete do not subscribe to the theory of "if you go down, you go down with your very best." On the flip side, Kearse has made so many clutch plays over the years and it was just a matter of inches today, but I would prefer a target to Graham or Baldwin in that situation-our 2 best.

It's akin to a 100mph closer opting to throw his 3rd best pitch-a hittable sider with the game on the line.

Threedee

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2qgvuw84 said:
seabowl":2qgvuw84 said:
Seanhawk":2qgvuw84 said:

Super Bowl vs. Week 8. Like I said, not even close.

When you don't treat the Bevellisms of the regular season as the same as in the SB, then you risk only condemning his ineptitude once per season, when it no longer matters.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1ft0sbet said:
There are parallels. In 49 the play targeted our #5 receiver and here, if Kearse was indeed 1st read as it appeared, the play targeted our #3 or #4 receiver. When the game is on the line, Bevell with apparently Pete's acquiescence, has opted for "surprise" instead of plays targeting their very best players.

Simply, Bevell and Pete do not subscribe to the theory of "if you go down, you go down with your very best." On the flip side, Kearse has made so many clutch plays over the years and it was just a matter of inches today, but I would prefer a target to Graham or Baldwin in that situation-our 2 best.

It's akin to a 100mph closer opting to throw his 3rd best pitch-a hittable sider with the game on the line.

Good info. Also the call of a jump ball has IMO a very low rate of success especially if there is no physical height difference between the receiver and defender.

blue 22

Reaction score
Jville":29co2vtn said:
This thread is simply yet another installment in a campaign to smear, blame and hate Darell Bevell. It's unmistakable. There will, no doubt, be many more threads launched by this campaign thru out the coming week.

Like I said... we will be in this same situation next year... nothing will change with bev at the helm. marker my words! :les:

The Breh

Reaction score
seedhawk":djkf4ceu said:
And, am I wrong, or is the pylon considered part of the field of play? Because Kearse got his first foot down in the end zone, and his second foot smacked the pylon. If the pylon is part of the field, was that not a touchdown?
This one needs a legit explanation.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The Breh":1fnjh6cr said:
seedhawk":1fnjh6cr said:
And, am I wrong, or is the pylon considered part of the field of play? Because Kearse got his first foot down in the end zone, and his second foot smacked the pylon. If the pylon is part of the field, was that not a touchdown?

Foot touching pylon is not considered in bounds. Just ask Darrell Jackson. If you've been a Hawks fan longer than 11 years you'll get the Jackson reference.

Swedishhawkfan

Reaction score
The reason it is stupid is because its a fade call IMO. I think just telling everyone to get open in the endzone and just throw abullet to someone has a fairly high chance of success, atleast higher than a fade.

The Breh

Reaction score
seabowl":rncu5bfd said:
The Breh":rncu5bfd said:
seedhawk":rncu5bfd said:

Foot touching pylon is not considered in bounds. Just ask Darrell Jackson. If you've been a Hawks fan longer than 11 years you'll get the Jackson reference.
What I remember most about DJ unfortunately is that shite offensive PI in the SB.
Crossing the plane and hitting the pylon diving forward is much different than a foot knocking it down. Didn't know.