How to fix the pass rush.

RW92

Reaction score
Again I revisit probably the most important question going into the playoffs. If you were the coach how would you fix the
pass rush?

AS we all know without getting to the quarterback there isn't much success moving deep within the playoffs.

Here are my remedies. Let me know your own thoughts.

1.) First we do need to blitz more on passing downs.

2.) Get away from the zone soft coverage. I realize that coach Richard is probably trying to protect a weekend secondary with Thomas injured by not blitzing, but hey we can die the slow death trying to get off the field on 3rd down, or go "all in" pushing all our chips to the middle with the all out blitz. Who knows we may get that strip, fumble sack yet.

3.) I know I'm going out on a limb here, but what if we took Rubin out of the equation on certain plays, and played with just 3 down linemen (almost like an 8-3 set), and inserted Frank Clark, standing up in the gap on passing downs to hopefully shoot the gap and get to the Q.B faster? Hey we have to try something.

4.) And lastly too many times I feel that Bobby Wagner is too far off in the middle leaving an open gap were the quick slant pass can be thrown. He needs to move up slightly to better defend the quick slant.

I know I'm reaching, but right now if we keep doing what we have been doing we are doomed. Don't keep doing what is failing. Make a change. And does anyone know if Damontre Moore can come back for the playoffs. Aside from the recent DWI I thought he put good pressure off the end. A shame he ended up on IR.

PS. There's still time for hope. Not much, just a glimmer. The window is closing on this season and with Sherm cancelling his media session today the chemistry is starting to look a little bleak.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Great post RW92. I was thinking about your point #3. The Seahawks are getting good rush from the edge but very little from the middle. My thought was to try Bennett at DT and let Clark come from the edge. Bennett did an excellent job in past from the inside. Clark would work too but Clark's speed is better utilized from the edge. While Rubin, Reed, and McDaniel are god against the run, they provide very little pass rush through the middle. It's hurting the team not getting to the QB by collapsing the pocket.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1j0apfeh said:
Great post RW92. I was thinking about your point #3. The Seahawks are getting good rush from the edge but very little from the middle. My thought was to try Bennett at DT and let Clark come from the edge. Bennett did an excellent job in past from the inside. Clark would work too but Clark's speed is better utilized from the edge. While Rubin, Reed, and McDaniel are god against the run, they provide very little pass rush through the middle. It's hurting the team not getting to the QB by collapsing the pocket.

You guys have heard of Seattle's Nascar package haven't you?

RussB

Reaction score
Less zone and send more guys.

For example put bennett at DT to get more inside pressure and let clark and avril get edge pressure. Line corners up in man press to jam guys at the line to get the QB to hold ball just a little longer. Also maybe send an extra linebacker. Thats what i would try to do if i was a defensive coordinator. Im not an expert by any means though just my two cents. I feel like seahawks are still too basic and teams have gotten accustomed to them, they have the talent to send extra heat and sell out blitz but they never do.