What worries me in the Playoffs

chris98251

Reaction score
Earl is a great film guy, his recognition and reactions are why our defense clicks and why teams rarely challenge us deep, or why they didn't prior to his injury. Terrell isn't slow, but he doesn't have that recognition and experience or recovery speed.

Lets look at what we have on the table going forward for teams.

Stafford, strong arm and they like to throw deep and under routes.

Ryan multiple receivers that are threats, deep ball team and a lot of mid routes.

Rogers , we don't need to know anything else, they live by the deep ball.

The only team I think we have an edge on in the passing game is Dallas, Prescott has Moxie but I think can be challenged and baited to throw a bad pass, however he is also an ignition switch and if he gets rolling and like Wilson uses his legs we could have some issues.

Giants, again they live or die with Manning to Beckham, our recognition and ability to stay with fast and quick receivers in will be telling.

All and all, if I am a DC, I put quick up against Shead, I put fast up against Sherman, make Sherman read pass and run and run him down field a lot, make Terrell read and react, Shead will need to stay with quick or you get over the top there as well, again make Terrell read and react. With the rest of the offense you make Terrell have to make a lot of decisions, playoff time you only need one or two big hits down field to break a game open.

This is my biggest concern, getting Terrell up to speed on film and recognition of the teams were playing, all the QB less Prescott are savvy Vets that exploit a weakness when they find it, we can't afford to cover up for Terrell and try to give him help.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bingo, and what I said in some other threads........the back end of our defense scares the hell out of me right now with what QB's and offenses are in the playoffs.

The key to our playoff success is resting IMO at the feet of our D-line. If they can play out of their minds and get crazy pressure consistently? Then I think we can make another run.

If they can't? Then I smell a one and done, or at best another road loss at Atlanta. Cause this offense isn't good enough right now to win a shootout 45-41.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
Agree 100%, losing ET was a huge hit to the D, and the Hawks overall chances to make a run! I'm hopeful that Terrell can pick it up, but it takes time and you know these opposing teams are scheming plays to take advantage of it.

My biggest hope is that our Dline takes it to the next level and gives Stafford/Ryan/Prescott no time at all to think or make reads. :stirthepot:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This would be the perfect time to re-instate press coverage. Something we have gone away from.

That timing disruption is what gives or D-line enough time to get pressure and cause mistakes. This D-line has the players to be elite if the secondary does it's job but if we don't disrupt timing they will not be affective.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2zwkqdtg said:
This would be the perfect time to re-instate press coverage. Something we have gone away from.

That timing disruption is what gives or D-line enough time to get pressure and cause mistakes. This D-line has the players to be elite if the secondary does it's job but if we don't disrupt timing they will not be affective.

The D still has about the same mix of cover 3 and press depending on down and distance.

Shead and Sherman aren't the problem, it's what are Terrell and Lane going to do if the D Line doesn't get home? Those two are the weak links right now on the back end.

Frankly I expected Lane to have a great season. He was finally fully healthy and got a fat contract for a nickel corner, he needs to play better.

Too many steps behind crossing WR's, and not quick enough on the zone switches.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1h2dczs9 said:
RichNhansom":1h2dczs9 said:

The D still has about the same mix of cover 3 and press depending on down and distance.

Shead and Sherman aren't the problem, it's what are Terrell and Lane going to do if the D Line doesn't get home? Those two are the weak links right now on the back end.

Frankly I expected Lane to have a great season. He was finally fully healthy and got a fat contract for a nickel corner, he needs to play better.

Too many steps behind crossing WR's, and not quick enough on the zone switches.

Good point and agree on Lane. His signing was good news when it happened and he has had his worst year by far. The only bright spot for him is how well he played the last game. He actually looked like our best corner in that game. Hopefully he buries his head in the film room and is ready to make a redeeming playoff run. He might need it to keep his roster spot next year.

Terrell would be as big a benefactor as the D-line if we can disrupt timing and prevent free sprinters getting down field.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Gonna' enjoy the ride and see how it plays out. New season, and they are capable of beating any team if they bring their A game. Obviously, the team has issues, but they can turn it on in the playoffs.

endzorn

Reaction score
I want to win this weekend to extend the streak of seasons with a playoff win, but other than that I feel like this team is playing with house money. This isn't a great team so there isn't the same pressure. Anything they accomplish will feel like it's beyond expectation.

RussB

Reaction score
They need to play alot more 2 deep now. Pete is stubborn is has tried to stick to to the single high safety and its alreayd blown up in his face multiple times with terrell. Something tells me he wont change a thing though. Teams are going to feast on terell.

djb28

Reaction score
My expectations are about as high as me walking into the Playboy mansion and landing the maid.
So whatever happens, I am cool with in this weird season.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
djb28":1cop0hau said:
My expectations are about as high as me walking into the Playboy mansion and landing the maid.
So whatever happens, I am cool with in this weird season.

Your avatar seems to make it appear that you did alright at the Mansion. :shock:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
In years past, this offense-heavy NFC playoff picture would have been great for us. Not this year.

Guys, we are not getting to the Super Bowl. I'd love it, but it's not happening.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What worries me in the playoffs:

Offensive Line.

Back end of the defense. Also, Lane isn't playing all that great.

Wilson playing poorly in cold weather. (looks like it will be colder than when we were in GB).

Graham not getting any targets and being ignored in the RZ.

New Long Snapper.

Depth at RB.

Bevell's situational play calling.

Think that about covers it.

NINEster

Reaction score
Detroit's biggest thing going against it is their lack of playoff/big game pedigree.

Matchup wise you have to like them far better than a 71/29 split.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
NINEster":2klk9ahg said:
Detroit's biggest thing going against it is their lack of playoff/big game pedigree.

Matchup wise you have to like them far better than a 71/29 split.

I think their problems extend deeper than guys who haven't played in the playoffs. That is overblown. Their problems are they have no run game, and their pass defense is the worst in the NFL. Not to mention their own has a mangled finger on his throwing hand. Those are the weaknesses the Hawks need to exploit.

ptisme

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1kf1qwlz said:
For as worrisome as we think a lot of the playoff opponents are, here's 538's take on everyone's chances:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FiveThirtyEight/status/816600817293729793[/tweet]
Are they any better with football than politics?

Boycie

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3a76s6k0 said:
Gonna' enjoy the ride and see how it plays out. New season, and they are capable of beating any team if they bring their A game. Obviously, the team has issues, but they can turn it on in the playoffs.

I'll be down in the Mayan Riviera for this game. I hope there a bunch of 12s at my resort!

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
RussB":2975ri8w said:
They need to play alot more 2 deep now. Pete is stubborn is has tried to stick to to the single high safety and its alreayd blown up in his face multiple times with terrell. Something tells me he wont change a thing though. Teams are going to feast on terell.

That has never been Kam's strength though.