Are We Playing With House Money?

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I've heard a few talkings heads (Brock and Salk mainly) say that the Hawks are playing with house money. Do you agree?

For me, I can see where they are coming from, but I also understand that this team is good enough to make the NFC Championship game or even SB if everything breaks right. I want to see them win at least one playoff game and would LOVE to seem them make the SB. What say you?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Absolutely we are playing with house money. Who cares though? The Seahawks are an above average team that needs to play above their head to continue playing. No shame in that.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
House or Haush money??? There is a difference in spelling yanno? Yes we are playing with their money in a very bad way. I think I heard them calling for a loan from our team....:p :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :stirthepot:

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I have no idea what playing with house money means in this scenario. Does that mean the guys are just happy to be there and will take any result?
No way. They are going to be all business on the road and look to run a few upsets.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Not for the team itself. But for me as a fan yeah. This year has already exceeded expectations. I’d be bitterly disappointed with a first round loss in the moment but I’d get over it quickly

Erebus

Reaction score
In my opinion, no. To me, house money means the players didn't invest much into the season and are only in their position because of luck. Being in the playoffs is a reflection of the hard work and dedication the whole team put into the season.

Elemas

Reaction score
Weird term but, I agree. We are 8th or 9th in cap space next year...that can lend to the "rebuilding" feel. Came into this year with a new OC. Expected a terrible o-line...Carson showed flashes last year but, who knew? I was having Thomas Rawls flashbacks. At the time, our draft picks seemed....questionable at best.

Thoroughly impressed....excited to say the least. I think they can pull it off!

Tusc2000

Reaction score
I don't know how the term House Money applies here either. This 2018 squad is earning everything it is getting. A little luck in the form of key injuries to other NFC wild card competitors has helped (not to mention the Chiefs being without their star RB), but we are absolutely deserving of a playoff slot.

Going forward, success in the playoffs is often a result of good seeding -- something we can control by winning today. So we may go far depending upon whether we get good match-ups in first round (and maybe second round) opponents. And whether we play in a dome / a warm weather site -- or in the bitter cold.

knownone

Reaction score
I think some of you are over thinking this. Playing with house money means you have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Unless you expected us to win the Superbowl this season I think the distinction that the team is playing with house money is a fair one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1rqs6lng said:
I have no idea what playing with house money means in this scenario. Does that mean the guys are just happy to be there and will take any result?
No way. They are going to be all business on the road and look to run a few upsets.

The question was do WE think we're playing with house money, not the players.

Obviously the players were confident that they'd be here, but most pundits and fans were not.

So it's a fair question. I do think we're playing with house money. I didn't think we'd make the playoffs this year, and of course I want us to go as far as possible in the playoffs........but if we lose in the first round? Yeah I'll be bummed but IMO it'd be a successful season.

That's what house money means, means you're already ahead and exceeded expectations.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Aces & eights, double down...
Blitz and go downfield at the right times and the rest should take care of itself.
The playoff experience of Russ, Doug, Bobby & KJ leading this talented young team with a rogue identity is house money. If they play focused, loose, hard and catch a little luck along the way they can beat anyone.

mikeak

Reaction score
We just gave up good draft position for playoffs

So no - there is something gained and now don't just give itnaway

fenderbender123

Reaction score
No. We want to win the Super Bowl every year.

Now, if we were 0-15 and already locked up the first overall pick in the draft, then sure we can bust out that term.