Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Kap be our back up?

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE: PG-13
Re: Could Kap be our back up?
Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:18 pm

• Also

ESPN story referenced is a fascinating read. All about how Pete wanted him in 2017.Denies kneeling had anything to do with it, in 2017 he really thought Kaep was a starter and didn't want a conflict with Russ. How someone called Pete about Kaep. Enough spoilers, it goes on and on.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:20 am
  • Basis4day wrote:https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Here is a list of every QB currently in the NFL.

If you're REALLY going to say Kaep is unsigned because of talent, you're saying he is a worse player than every person named on this list.

I’d take him over Geno if he was willing to be paid barely over vet min like Geno is. Has there been any indication that he’s willing to accept such a deal? In a cap-strapped league, you see few teams, if any, investing heavy money in backup QBs.

A 32-year-old QB who doesn’t hit the 60% completion percentage threshold and has been out of the league the past three seasons is going to have a difficult time getting paid.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:38 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Doug is awesome, and I rank him right up there with Sando as the best writers with considerable Seahawk knowledge, but this tweet might be lacking context.

He references Kaep’s system like it made it extra impressive that he threw only four picks over 11 games, but just three years earlier, Nick Foles threw 26 TDs to 2 INTs as a second-year QB in that same system. Is it possible the system schemes for that? Kaep completed just 59.8% of his passes in that four-INT season, which ranked 26th in the NFL, so it’s not like he was crazy accurate. He was probably just not taking chances.

16 TDs in 11 games is not super impressive, and he compiled a 1-10 record. I know he didn’t have the greatest surrounding cast, but how often do you see a record like that from a team with an established, high-end QB? His rushing also tailed off considerably over those later starts.

I believe strongly in his cause, and genuinely hope he finds his way back in, but it’s not unfair to recognize that his play fell off. Teams will have to consider that before deciding whether to invest in a 32-year-old QB coming off a three-season lay-off. Players coming off long layoffs in the past have usually needed to accept minimal contracts. Has there been any indication that Kaep is willing to do that?
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:46 pm
  • Donn2390 wrote:I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
    Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
    I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..

You and me Donn, though I don't know if I can watch football at all any longer. My opinion is "why feed these millionaire players and billionaire owners"? I hope they can put their free educations to use. Professional sports do not attract me any longer. With China and the NBA, now with the support of everyone for the Marxist BLM the relationship between sports and relaxation/hobby is over.

The only way for sports leagues to move on is to remove all politics from sports. Otherwise, they have lost me....JMO...
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:56 pm
  • jammerhawk wrote:Seattle did have him in for a look, he wasn’t worth what he was asking for back then. The Hawks got a look at what he was then, and passed on him. He was never widely recognized for his arm and hasn’t thrown in an NFL system for a very long time, and that skill which is critically important for the position is a diminishing skill. I don’t know if he still has the ability to play at a high level.

It’s true the league screwed him over, but he was an active participant of sorts. For him the time wasn’t right to continue his protest though it should have beenAs is clear to most every sensible person Nothing is for free, and he has burned a lot of bridges, those issues would need to be sorted out prior to him being given a chance to prove he still can play. The price would need to fit his circumstances as well. He will need to prove his skill is worth adding or he will be another athletic QB who remains out of work.

I don’t truly know if he genuinely wants to return on anything but his terms, perhaps there is little chance there is a franchise that wants to pay his price in terms of pure cost benefit. It’s on him now to show he wants to return. The time for that is now to show he can still play. If he does he would still only be signed for a back up gig, that job is paid less than a starting job.

His situation is an interesting social science case study. I wish him nothing but good luck.

You aren't the only person who has said "the league screwed him over". How did they screw him over? He screwed himself over, opening his big yap and kneeling. HE made a spectacle of himself onstage, at his work. May as well say Meghan Markles friend was screwed over because of words she said and she was fired. He opened his mouth, removed himself from the concept of team, and protested his way out of the league. HIS FAULT 100%

If memory serves me, this was over the Ferguson riots, which were a lie. The man killed put himself in a situation where he assaulted a police officer in his cruiser and struggled over his service weapon. It was a legal reaction, and one that any police would do to any assailant. In the parlance of the day, a "nothing burger".
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:28 pm
  • johnnyfever wrote:
    Donn2390 wrote:I don't think there is any chance he is picked up by the Hawks or anyone else. Not only does he still bring a very bad vibe and lost revenue, but I would be surprised if he could make the team. He wasn't good when he left and a three year vacation doesn't help.
    Those facts along with the fact I don't think he wants to play, being an activist pays better and is more fun. It's easier to say I'm good than to have to prove it and fall on your face in embarrassment.
    I hope he never plays another down anywhere. If players are now allowed to kneel I will be done watching football, along with millions of others. If they wish to stay in the locker room and leave their political views completely out of site, that could work. I enjoy the game, not the politics or the personalities..

He only brought a bad vibe to those who made kneeling about the flag and politics. It's those folks who made it political. He never made a political statement. He made a plea to look at police brutality before the game started, and it was brief and respectful. From that point on, it was all football.

I remember him running rampant against the later versions of the legion of boom. Dude had game, but his football sense was sometimes questionable. He is better than a lot of starters in the game, and should easily have a job if others didnt bring politics into it. If you really mean what you say about football being football, then you sir need to leave politics out of it.

The political statement WAS the kneeling. Sorry, but kneeling when you should be standing and honoring the ONLY thing that really we all share in common, love of country. You are either for America or against it. It is very simple. You have millions of dollars and an offseason of 6 months to work for your ideals. The time to do it is not at work. That is as basic a thing as any working man or woman knows.
    jeremiah
    NET Rookie

Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:47 pm
  • Kaep didn't screw up. There was no NFL rule about kneeling in 2016 and it wasn't enforced on the club level. It came across bad with the locals because he had not spoken out during Ferguson and other incidents that happened during his career, but just as it was imminent that he was going to be benched for Gabbert all the sudden now he does it. People believed Eric Reid more because he was still seen as an asset and in fact went on to Carolina and did well.

But on the national level, people went into orbit. It was all about the anthem=flag=must stand. Or be a traitor. Which was itself a political statement. If the NFL wanted to stay out of politics they shouldn't be enforcing poltiical behavior.

I agree that Kaep's vet minimum because that's the market for QBs who haven't been starters for years. But no one will know if he'll take it until, you know, someone offers.

I find Pete's interview a little disingenuous because on one hand he's talking about how great Kaep was in 2017-18 and how he wished he'd had a role, but now it's that Geno "really does things we like" and they're good football wise. Serious question, has Geno played a single down for us? His team didn't advance when he was the starter with the Jets.

So other than coinflipping, what's there about his record or any recent play to eschew, today, the same "spirit of competition" that Pete said he usually encourages but "Russell was just such a dominant player"? There's certainly none of that going on with Geno. And Kaep even with the rust could be better, esp if you take Pete's gushing about him. There is no way to know that other than offering a vet-min contract and letting them compete in camp.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:30 pm
  • I'll go with the last few words that only competing would tell the story twixt Kap and Geno.
    Thing is we're strapped for cash and still hoping for a Clowney miracle. So between Kap and Clowney I don't see much of a competition. But I do hope Kap gets another chance.
    Appyhawk
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Location: Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montana.

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:08 pm
  • League minimum to come into camp? One of them won't work out and it'll cost us the cost of camp for them. Which is in the two figures.

Every August and September, the roster goes from 90 to 53. A 40 percent loss, and all of them had contracts. But in fact, a team can cut a healthy player very rapidly.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:14 pm
  • Well an additional problem now is if they shorten the pre season this year Russ is going to get most the reps in games only due to lack of camps.

Geno and if Kaep brought in won't get a chance to showcase themselves really, in fact Geno is leaps and bounds ahead since he played here last season now.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:22 pm
  • If that's true about Geno it'll become apparent in camp.

I mean, why not kick the tires?
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:58 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:I find Pete's interview a little disingenuous because on one hand he's talking about how great Kaep was in 2017-18 and how he wished he'd had a role, but now it's that Geno "really does things we like" and they're good football wise. Serious question, has Geno played a single down for us? His team didn't advance when he was the starter with the Jets.

Part of being a good coach and a good leader is also being a good politician. in order to keep peace you say what is popular, not what you necessarily believe. Team unity is vitally important to field a successful team. Smile, say nice things, don't make waves, and go play football. I'm seeing that example being played out throughout the league and beyond.
    Mr Kap will not be back, not only will no one want him, he will not subject himself to failure and ridicule, a very real possibility. JMHO
    Last edited by Donn2390 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:43 pm
  • AgentDib wrote:We already brought Kaep in for a look at the backup spot. He wasn't interested in backup QB salary and then named us in his lawsuit.

Nothing has changed since then and this remains a political discussion rather than a football discussion.
    This post should end the discussion.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:46 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:We already brought Kaep in for a look at the backup spot. He wasn't interested in backup QB salary and then named us in his lawsuit.

Nothing has changed since then and this remains a political discussion rather than a football discussion.

One thing that the whole anthem situation and the pandemic situation has informed is that politics, like public health, bleeds into sports. It always is a melting pot. The City of Santa Clara and the 49ers have been warring about politics for years and it has been discussed without "politics! warning" for years.

The other thing is that that even if informed by politics, this remains a football discussion. Let's face it that Geno's nowhere near a Bridgewater. He's just another meh starter from 2016 that unlike Kaep never did anything with his team. The one thing he does have is that he has been on a team consistently even though he hasn't thrown since 2018.

The cost to bring in Kaep for a tryout would be basically airfare, hotel and whatever stipend if anything is normally offered in these situations.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:03 pm
  • I'm not convinced Kaep wants to be a backup. I've always felt he wants paid bigger money, and a real shot as a starter.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:08 am
  • CPHawk wrote:I'm not convinced Kaep wants to be a backup. I've always felt he wants paid bigger money, and a real shot as a starter.

There is no way to know if Kaep wants to be a backup or take vet min until someone invites him. It bothers me that everyone's saying "someone" should take a chance, but then find reasons why that "someone" shouldn't be them.

The concern is that Kaep and/or his GF could make the backup role and the salary that comes with it a racial issue. In which case, frankly, they would be laughed off. It is normal for men who last started in the 2016 season to be paid at the low-end, and the only way that changes is if said men perform at a high level when brought in as relief. Most do not, so they keep playing for low-end salaries.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:54 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:I'm not convinced Kaep wants to be a backup. I've always felt he wants paid bigger money, and a real shot as a starter.

There is no way to know if Kaep wants to be a backup or take vet min until someone invites him. It bothers me that everyone's saying "someone" should take a chance, but then find reasons why that "someone" shouldn't be them.

I get that, but I find it strange that basically nothing has been reported on his starter/backup preference or what kind of contract he’s seeking. He doesn’t have to be worked out or offered something to know that. Clowney hasn’t had a workout, but there have been frequent stories about his financial demands. It seems unlikely that nobody has at least contacted his agent and inquired into what he’s looking for.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:39 am
  • Even better! I believe his agent is Dean Rosenhaus. Most teams have his number. A call costs nothing. $10M isn't doable now. $1M is going to be a stretch. That is what the market is for anyone in his situation and that's not racial. They can make a simple phone call (which costs nothing) or bring him in for a visit if they like the terms in the call, and sign him to compete in camp if they like the results of the visit.

They are not however going to even make the phone call if they are scared that Kaep, or his mouthpiece GF, is going to start accusing them of racism right off the bat.

There won't be any talk about whether he sits or stands now. If he wants to play, he has to realize the fact that you don't trash someone who might be sniffing at you for a job.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:03 pm
  • From the NYT:

Recognizing Kaepernick is seemingly the only concrete action that has widespread agreement among players. With momentum built, less fear of reprisal from owners, the league or fans, and an unusual amount of time away from the field because of stay-at-home restrictions, players want to get more involved in societal change. The only question is: What’s next?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/th ... r-BB15ojv1
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:31 am
  • He'd be a rock star at CHOP.
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:06 am
  • Florio might agree with you Lords.

From PFT today:

Publicly stating that he encourages a team to sign Kaepernick and privately twisting arms to get him signed are two different things. Backroom deals, as previously mentioned, happen all the time. If the league and/or Goodell truly wanted Kaepernick on a team, it already would be done.

Maybe a nudge from Goodell isn’t needed. Maybe it’s just a matter of time before a team realizes that there’s an actual business benefit, both from a football and a non-football perspective, to having Kaepernick on the roster. He’s better than plenty of backup quarterbacks, he instantly would have the highest-selling jersey in all of sports, the team that signs him would immediately gain a national following, and the coach, executive, and/or owner who makes it happen would be regarded as a modern-day Branch Rickey.

Maybe Goodell is, for now, giving the teams a chance to figure that out on their own. If they don’t, it wouldn’t be difficult for Goodell to get one of the NFL’s 32 teams to take one for the team, especially since there are plenty of things that could be promised to that team by the league office in order to get the deal done.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... aepernick/
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:59 am
  • One problem for a team signing Kap now is you are pressured to keep him no matter what. Even if he doesn’t perform imagine the backlash if you release him.
    Am I not remembering correctly or didn’t Denver offer him a contract a couple of yrs ago and he declined.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:40 am
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:One problem for a team signing Kap now is you are pressured to keep him no matter what. Even if he doesn’t perform imagine the backlash if you release him.
    Am I not remembering correctly or didn’t Denver offer him a contract a couple of yrs ago and he declined.

The 49ers tried to trade him to the Broncos in 2015. They had him out and decided that what he wanted as a starter wasn't worth it.

As far as pressure, well the Rams took Michael Sam in the draft. He was cut by the end of camp and went to DAL to be on their practice squad. That didn't work out either. No one said either release had anything to do with his orientation.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 am
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:One problem for a team signing Kap now is you are pressured to keep him no matter what. Even if he doesn’t perform imagine the backlash if you release him.

This exactly the reason kap won't be signing anywhere. he better than any of us realize the very real possibility that he can't make a roster and would be completely humiliated. Get more notoriety , better pay, notoriety being a trouble maker, and it keeps his g/f happy, the one who leads him around by the nose.
    Donn2390
    NET Starter

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:44 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:
    AgentDib wrote:We already brought Kaep in for a look at the backup spot. He wasn't interested in backup QB salary and then named us in his lawsuit.

One thing that the whole anthem situation and the pandemic situation has informed is that politics, like public health, bleeds into sports. It always is a melting pot. The City of Santa Clara and the 49ers have been warring about politics for years and it has been discussed without "politics! warning" for years.

The other thing is that that even if informed by politics, this remains a football discussion. Let's face it that Geno's nowhere near a Bridgewater. He's just another meh starter from 2016 that unlike Kaep never did anything with his team. The one thing he does have is that he has been on a team consistently even though he hasn't thrown since 2018.

The cost to bring in Kaep for a tryout would be basically airfare, hotel and whatever stipend if anything is normally offered in these situations.
    Yes but what is your response to the fact that the one team that tried him out ended up named in his lawsuit? Why would any team sign up for that, let alone our team who was burned?
    If he wanted to play he wouldn’t have named the hawks, no?
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:56 pm
  • hawk45 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:

Yes but what is your response to the fact that the one team that tried him out ended up named in his lawsuit? Why would any team sign up for that, let alone our team who was burned?

First, the 49ers are the only team who released that starter because of things that routinely happen when teams get nervous about said starters. The relationship was on its way out over a protracted of time. They brought in at least two rotations of QB whisperers and HCs to try to resurrect Kaep into what they envisioned.

But that happens with people around the league. Player-team relations regularly burn out for whatever reason after both sides tried and that player ends up moving on, usually to another team. It's not like we are in the position of the 49ers either with their backup QB room consisting of players who played QB for them in an actual game for them. We have a backup who has never done that, and as his backup we have a UDFA who may but probably not do anything in camp.

PC is implying heavily in recent interviews that the 2017-18 Hawk discussions fell apart over Kaep's want to be a starter and/or get paid starter money. Moreover, PC said he was very impressed with him from seeing him at that time. There would be no QB competition or starter talk at this time.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:43 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:The 49ers tried to trade him to the Broncos in 2015. They had him out and decided that what he wanted as a starter wasn't worth it.

In retrospect, not one of their better decisions, and they have had a string of truly awful decisions at QB.
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:36 am
  • So from Florio...

The team’s entire flirtation with Kaepernick remains odd. In 2017, he was too good to sign. In 2018, he needed a workout before he could be signed. The truth may be (is) that, in 2017, the organization was concerned that some of the players who were on the roster at the time would be inclined to agitate for Kaepernick to replace Russell Wilson as the starter. By 2018, the organization made a hard pivot toward clearing out any remaining anti-Russell players, which would have made it easier to avoid a schism over whether Wilson or Kaepernick should play, if Kaepernick had been signed to serve as Wilson’s No. 2.

Even now, Kaepernick clearly would be an upgrade over Geno Smith as the backup to Wilson. Kaepernick also would be better than the current backup (and/or a better fit as the starter’s understudy) in places like Buffalo, New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, L.A. (Chargers and Rams), Denver, Kansas City, Washington, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, and Arizona.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... to-action/
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:39 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:So from Florio...

The team’s entire flirtation with Kaepernick remains odd. In 2017, he was too good to sign. In 2018, he needed a workout before he could be signed. The truth may be (is) that, in 2017, the organization was concerned that some of the players who were on the roster at the time would be inclined to agitate for Kaepernick to replace Russell Wilson as the starter. By 2018, the organization made a hard pivot toward clearing out any remaining anti-Russell players, which would have made it easier to avoid a schism over whether Wilson or Kaepernick should play, if Kaepernick had been signed to serve as Wilson’s No. 2.

Even now, Kaepernick clearly would be an upgrade over Geno Smith as the backup to Wilson. Kaepernick also would be better than the current backup (and/or a better fit as the starter’s understudy) in places like Buffalo, New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, L.A. (Chargers and Rams), Denver, Kansas City, Washington, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, and Arizona.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... to-action/

Geno's skill and or arm may not be what Kaeps is, his head is better or at least based on stories about his study habits, Wilson has stated that his film room observations are great, a Back up is more then on the field.

Saying that cost, and giving Kaep a chance is worth while, but the obligation to sign him to the roster is going to be high due to politics.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:43 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    hawk45 wrote:This post should end the discussion.

First, the 49ers are the only team who released that starter because of things that routinely happen when teams get nervous about said starters. The relationship was on its way out over a protracted of time. They brought in at least two rotations of QB whisperers and HCs to try to resurrect Kaep into what they envisioned.

But that happens with people around the league. Player-team relations regularly burn out for whatever reason after both sides tried and that player ends up moving on, usually to another team. It's not like we are in the position of the 49ers either with their backup QB room consisting of players who played QB for them in an actual game for them. We have a backup who has never done that, and as his backup we have a UDFA who may but probably not do anything in camp.

PC is implying heavily in recent interviews that the 2017-18 Hawk discussions fell apart over Kaep's want to be a starter and/or get paid starter money. Moreover, PC said he was very impressed with him from seeing him at that time. There would be no QB competition or starter talk at this time.

Right, good points all round, but I missed where you addressed how, when the 2017 discussions fell apart over a very reasonable disagreement over starter money, a good faith disagreement, that Kaep named the Seahawks in his lawsuit, a bad faith act given that Pete went out of his way to offer a reasonable salary.

You must agree that Pete has likely learned that unless he pays Kaep starter money, any attempt to deal with him carries a not-insignificant risk of exposing the team to a lawsuit, based on past events.

In which case, do you expect the team to put their hand on the same stove again?
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:02 pm
  • The Hawks and any other team may have more plausible excuses on, say, social immunity. AFAIK, Kaep sued the league and not individual clubs but yeah it's bad when clubs are named.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:14 am
  • I get really sick of rumor being posted as fact.

I wish Kap would do an interview. His silence makes it easier on the scab picking haters.
    AVL
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:55 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ SEATTLE SEAHAWKS FOOTBALL ]

Information