Earl Thomas

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
As you may know I tend to look at things in terms of historic context --- and my favorite all-time player that people never seem to recognize is Eugene Robinson. I've said in the past he had a better Seahawk career than either Kenny Easley or Cortez Kennedy. Many think I'm nuts.

I think Earl Thomas is well on his way to being the greatest defensive player in Seahawk history. Mind you I'm somehow biased towards safeties -- but can you possibly imagine what this defense would be without him? The dude is freaking EVERYWHERE. ALL DAY LONG.

That is all.

A

Anonymous

Eugene Robinson was the bomb. You'll hear no complaints from me for saying so.

Agree on ET. Him getting run over today was interesting, but everything else he did was spectacular.

garrylt4

Reaction score
Eugene Robinson was a great hawk but IMHO he is no where near Cortez Kennedy's level. I relize I'm bias Tez is my all time favorite Seahawk.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
garrylt4":uew2mw9g said:
Eugene Robinson was a great hawk but IMHO he is no where near Cortez Kennedy's level. I relize I'm bias Tez is my all time favorite Seahawk.

I realize I'm vastly outnumbered in the Eugene vs. Tez debate. I'm at peace with it.

KK84

Reaction score
Eugene ruled and is/was severely underrated, but better career than Tez? Wut?

raisethe3

Reaction score
I agree with this. But Earl should be named DPOY.

Reaction score
Robinson was underated, but Easley was one of the most physically gifted in the history of the game. He would of been a first ballot if he wasn't forced to end his career early.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":199x4m8s said:
As you may know I tend to look at things in terms of historic context --- and my favorite all-time player that people never seem to recognize is Eugene Robinson. I've said in the past he had a better Seahawk career than either Kenny Easley or Cortez Kennedy. Many think I'm nuts.

I think Earl Thomas is well on his way to being the greatest defensive player in Seahawk history. Mind you I'm somehow biased towards safeties -- but can you possibly imagine what this defense would be without him? The dude is freaking EVERYWHERE. ALL DAY LONG.

That is all.

Yeah I've always wondered why Eugene Robinson didn't get more credit. Probably due to the solicitation arrest before the Superbowl. Kinda sad how the guy just wanting to get laid (and not sued) before the big game pretty much destroyed his reputation.

If Easley had played longer, he would have had a better career, though. Easley was just dominant - speed and coverage skills of Earl Thomas, and a bigger hitter than even Chancellor. Ronnie Lott, Jack Tatum, and Lester Hayes are the only DBs I've ever seen who were that intimidating, but none of them had Easley's coverage skills. I remember watching Easley knock countless guys out, where they'd have to get carted off the field. One time while getting the pick. I think about it now, knowing what we know about CTE, and wonder how many of those guys have long-term disabilities from their encounters with Easley (sympathetic, not celebratory). That man was literally dangerous to his opponents' health. People were scared of him, including his own teammates.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah Hans, if Easley had been able to play his career was Earl + Kam. He was just never healthy after '84.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
No safety in this game has ever been a bigger or better hitter than Chancellor.

Not Easley, Lott, Tatum, Atwater, Dawkins, no one. It's not even close....

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
MVP Defensive Player 2013. Book it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":17shs3w6 said:

He should win it, but I think people are still too high on Watt. Watt is a great player, no doubt, but he's got the benefit of winning it last year so he has an advantage in people's heads.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkFan72":35631q3p said:
Aros":35631q3p said:

He should win it, but I think people are still too high on Watt. Watt is a great player, no doubt, but he's got the benefit of winning it last year so he has an advantage in people's heads.
Actually it may be Sherm after the picks today, especially cuz the game was in NY.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3dczlc8j said:
Aros":3dczlc8j said:

I haven't seen Watt play since the Hawks game, but if the rest of his season has been 75% as good he should win it. I would love for a Earl to win it and I think he deserves it, but JJ was unblockable that day.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1azt65op said:
HawkFan72":1azt65op said:
Aros":1azt65op said:

I haven't seen Watt play since the Hawks game, but if the rest of his season has been 75% as good he should win it. I would love for a Earl to win it and I think he deserves it, but JJ was unblockable that day.

Well his numbers are down from last year. He "only" has 9.5 sacks. But on film you can see he's the same player, wreaking havoc everywhere.

But I agree with what was said up there that Sherman may be Thomas's biggest threat for the title this year (even though I think Earl deserves it more).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
ET is the untouchable in the secondary. He's the guy that makes them click. Thankfully he's been there every game. His intangibles would be impossible to replace. Sherm and the other CB attribute their play to ET. They can take risks because he's got their back.

Easley by far was the best safety to ever wear Seahawk blue. It's unfortunate that his career was cut short due to his health issues. Robinson was great, Blades, Blackmon, Glasgow, Milloy, and Williams were very good. Seahawks have had really good luck with having some solid to great safeties. Thomas is on his way to HOF career and cement his place on top the list.

chris98251

Reaction score
Could you imagine Easley and Thomas in the same secondary, no slight to Kam but just think of that speed and ability.