Kudos from an outsider

Picksix

Reaction score
Greetings to the good people of Seahawk Nation. Congratulations on a great season so far, and for having an organization that has put together a fantastic team over the past few years. I am a Midwestern guy who moved out to the Seattle area a few years ago. I must admit, I am not a Seahawk fan, but I admire what's going on with the team here. They are definitely a joy to watch, and I love your defense. And having lived here a while, and seeing how die hard Seattle fans are, and what you've been through (in all sports), you all deserve a championship. With that being said, I have a couple questions I'd like to pose.

Since I was a boy, I've been a fan of a certain team that has seen its share of success, but recently has become a joke. They have an owner who can't help but throw himself into the spotlight every chance he gets, a QB that has a penchant for gagging at the worst times, and a defense that's on pace to be the worst the NFL has ever seen. If they complete yet another December collapse, they may well be looking at a new coaching staff - again. Personally, I would like to see us raid your staff to fill some spots. I imagine Quinn is still a little green to take a HC position, but what's the feeling among Seahawk fans about 1) Bevell being HC material, and 2) Norton being a DC? Since Norton played for Dallas, and I think still lives there, I could see him wanting to come back, but even if Bevell is ready to be a HC, would he want to coach for Jerry?

I appreciate any and all feedback, and being a Cowboy fan, I understand I've put myself in the line of fire. I only ask that you not be too harsh. My psyche is a bit fragile at the moment.

Axx

Reaction score
I lives in da state of taxes and most cowboy fans are delusional

Agcat

Reaction score
I don't know that anything will change for you as long as Jerry is in charge of the football decisions. It won't matter who the coaches are.

OP
OP
P

Picksix

Reaction score
Agcat":63xonf3y said:
I don't know that anything will change for you as long as Jerry is in charge of the football decisions. It won't matter who the coaches are.

I agree, but if he makes a change, I'm trying to think who might be good. A lot of fans throw out names like Gruden, Lovie, etc, but those names really do nothing for me.

Jay-Dog

Reaction score
All the cowboy fans I know are jumping ship and are boycotting the team.. The few that remain are lost or hardcore fans ok with mediocrity.

Dallas is done until Jerry gets out of the way. Sad really.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I, like a lot of football fans, think that JJ is the problem in Dallas.
Until he hires a good coach AND steps out of the way, success will be a mater of luck for the Cowboys. That's my opinion.
Thanks for the props on the Hawks.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
I suspect most of us are already resigned to the fact that the coaching staff might well get plundered during the off-season. (Even more incentive to get to the Super Bowl, I guess.) Bevell doesn't get much love here, or maybe it's more accurate to say that the DB hate is much louder. As to whether he'd be willing to play under JJ, it's hard to say but it seems like anybody with an ego big enough to want to be a head coach in the NFL would take the Cowboys job without much hesitation, Jerry or no Jerry. I suppose Bevell's been in the national conversation enough that he could afford to be choosy (unlike Gus Bradley, who pretty much had to say yes to Jax) but still. It's the Cowboys.

Norton's another one who's been mentioned more than once as a potential poaching target and I don't think too many posters would be surprised to see him go as well.

On the other hand, the Hawks are pretty dang good right now, and it's got to be fun to be part of what's going on. That's got to be worth a little something too, to both of those guys. There legit prospects for multiple rings right the hell now and those kinds of opportunities don't come along every day.

OP
OP
P

Picksix

Reaction score
VivaEfrenHerrera":8e99d9ux said:
I suspect most of us are already resigned to the fact that the coaching staff might well get plundered during the off-season. (Even more incentive to get to the Super Bowl, I guess.) Bevell doesn't get much love here, or maybe it's more accurate to say that the DB hate is much louder. As to whether he'd be willing to play under JJ, it's hard to say but it seems like anybody with an ego big enough to want to be a head coach in the NFL would take the Cowboys job without much hesitation, Jerry or no Jerry. I suppose Bevell's been in the national conversation enough that he could afford to be choosy (unlike Gus Bradley, who pretty much had to say yes to Jax) but still. It's the Cowboys.

Norton's another one who's been mentioned more than once as a potential poaching target and I don't think too many posters would be surprised to see him go as well.

On the other hand, the Hawks are pretty dang good right now, and it's got to be fun to be part of what's going on. That's got to be worth a little something too, to both of those guys. There legit prospects for multiple rings right the hell now and those kinds of opportunities don't come along every day.

The thing with Norton though, is that when he was a LB for the Cowboys, he won 2 SB's when they were at their peak in the early 90's, with prospects for winning more, and he took the money and ran to SF (which was of course, really good as well). I hear what you're saying, and he may decide he wants to stick around, but I would think it would tough to pass up a DC position to stay a position coach.

Mick063

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has assumed the Al Davis role of manipulating his team to mediocrity.

I don't see much improvement until he completely hands over the reins to a competent GM.

Just my opinion.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I imagine many teams will be going after our coaches if we win the big show. Bevell is the only Coach with the requisite experience, but I see him, like Garrett, not being a strong enough personality to persuade Jones to do things his way.
What we have is a team that is assembled in a very complimentary fashion. We have a lot of players capable of putting up big numbers, but none are featured per say (closest being Lynch). Jones needs to keep his fingers out of the pudding for that to work. He won't. Norton was a great linebacker and he does a good job with our LBers, but I'm sure there's a reason why he's never been advanced to even a DL coach. His personality reminds me of singletary, LOL! Quinn is a smart Dude, but probably needs a year or two more as a coordinator. In any event, our team started the turnaround using a new management philosophy, a new coach who chose his GM and who has final approval on all personnel moves... and we have an owner who FACILITATES rather than wading in and gumming up the works.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Nice first post pick6! :)
The Hawks bandwagon's seats are filling fast and have only a few left.

As for Darrell Bevell, I highly recommend him for the Cowboys HC job, pass my approval along to crazy uncle Jer-uh please! 8)

OP
OP
P

Picksix

Reaction score
In a way, it's nice to see fans of another team look at the Cowboys and see that JJ is the real problem of the team, as opposed to the coach or the QB, but on the other hand, he's the one aspect that will take the longest to change. It does feel like we have our own Al Davis situation going on, which is really unfortunate.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pmedic920":3uj4rubn said:
Until he hires a good coach AND steps out of the way, success will be a mater of luck for the Cowboys. That's my opinion.

This is exactly the problem. I even saw friction when Jimmy Johnson was coach after Tom. JJ is the problem and will always be it until he learns to trust his GM and Coach. If he would learn to trust his GM and Coach and hand them the reins, then Our OC would be ok. In fact there are some on this board that would ask you how much you want to take him off our hands. LOL
Go Hawks.

OP
OP
P

Picksix

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1auzstou said:
pmedic920":1auzstou said:

This is exactly the problem. I even saw friction when Jimmy Johnson was coach after Tom. JJ is the problem and will always be it until he learns to trust his GM and Coach. If he would learn to trust his GM and Coach and hand them the reins, then Our OC would be ok. In fact there are some on this board that would ask you how much you want to take him off our hands. LOL
Go Hawks.

Oh, he trusts his GM, because he is the GM. But yeah, he's very much a micromanager who has to have his hands in everything.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Picksix Welcome to Hawks.net ...
I have one question for you: Let's say I ask you to cook dinner for x-mas. But, I'm the one who goes out grocery shopping, what do you think will come out of it? I borrowed this from Parcell ...
I don't know how much can be achieved in Dallas, when JJ is the guy choosing the players in the draft and free agency. You can have the best coach in the world, but if the personal is not motivated and not competitive ... it will show at some point and teams will exploit it, once the word gets out.
The word has gotten out about Dallas defense and I would be shocked, if they don't get blown out in Washington tomorrow. Thank God for them, the Skins defense is just as pathetic.
Here is the bottom line: JJ must relinquish his power to competent people and step aside.
I expect Bevell to take the Jets job. The Jets are currently run by an ex Hawks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":1ebw9i13 said:
Won't happen he really believes he's doing a good job. Sorry picsix but welcome anyway.

OP
OP
P

Picksix

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2od8xud1 said:
Picksix Welcome to Hawks.net ...
I have one question for you: Let's say I ask you to cook dinner for x-mas. But, I'm the one who goes out grocery shopping, what do you think will come out of it? I borrowed this from Parcell ...
I don't know how much can be achieved in Dallas, when JJ is the guy choosing the players in the draft and free agency. You can have the best coach in the world, but if the personal is not motivated and not competitive ... it will show at some point and teams will exploit it, once the word gets out.
The word has gotten out about Dallas defense and I would be shocked, if they don't get blown out in Washington tomorrow. Thank God for them, the Skins defense is just as pathetic.
Here is the bottom line: JJ must relinquish his power to competent people and step aside.
I expect Bevell to take the Jets job. The Jets are currently run by an ex Hawks.

That's a good point that you make about Bevell possibly to Jets to reunite with Idzik(?). And your points about JJ are definitely valid, but he's made it clear that he'll continue to operate the way he has. Contrary to what most people think, he gives all the coaches and scouts a forum to make their case as to which players they want, and their drafts have been better with Garrett being the HC, but yeah, Jerry makes the final call on which players they take, and you'd like for it to be the HC.

Wasn't Pete the one who made the call on Russell?

drdiags

Reaction score
Welcome PickSix. John Schneider (GM) was the first to trumpet Wilson. He wanted to draft him in the 2nd round and had to be talked down by scouts and Pete. Pete warmed up to him after John started singing his praises early in the scouting process. Pete is also the Executive VP or some such title, that makes him John's boss. So yes, eventually he and JS need to agree but John gets to make the pick.

Bevell seems to me like he would be another Garrett. I think Pete and Cable have to tweak him sometimes to run the ball more but that is just an assumption of mine. The team has a weird brain trust on offense where they use Cable more like a running game coordinator, as well OL coach. Probably like Gibbs was used at Atlanta and other places.

Norton does a fine coaching job with the LBs but you wonder if he wants to be a DC with Pete retaining Bradley and replacing him with Quinn, two coaches that were part of Mora's staff.

I would not be surprised to see Kris Richards (DB Coach) get some love around the league after helping to coach the secondary the past 4 years under Pete.

Cowboys keep talent on that squad but need a strong minded HC that Jerry respects. The HC needs to be a young blood if you ask me, not a Parcells or Holmgren type. The Packers raved about the Boys running game but the investment in the aerial game is such that the Boys cannot or will not feature the running game when they should. That has to change so they can get a hard edge back to them like the glory years.

Reaction score
Nice olive branch entry to .net, well played, and let me remind you there is still space left on the 'Hawk wagon...you know you want to ;). I think it only gets worse for you and the 'Boys as Jerry gets older and I can see it ending up in court in about 5-7 years with Little Jerry (Steven) trying to wrestle control of his certifiably deranged daddy's team.

I can't see any coach worth his salt taking the HC job in that mess and having the same GM remain, although a chance to make millions and be a NFL HC will get many takers, regardless of the inevitable outcome, but it won't be a Gruden type. And while it is only a matter of time before a team offers a HC job to Bevell, I really don' think he would take the Dallas job knowing his chance for success would be minimal at best.
JJ has slipped right into Al Davis' well earned place as the clown of the NFL and it looks like Happy Hour Irsay is waiting to take his place when the time comes. Reality TV has nothing on the NFL.