Hawks dump Ireland

Tech Worlds

Reaction score

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I wonder if we used him to know more about the AFC East teams picking ahead of us, or if we just went the opposite of all his evaluations?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Good. He was a last minute option and hopefully they got what they needed from him.

mikeak

Reaction score
I realize this can have two meanings but I did hear that Seattle AND Miami were the two teams that started the most draft picks over the past few years.

So one could say he really knew what he was doing drafting or someone could say it was a bad roster so not hard to draft starters. Either way he did have something on his resume and I don't think the Miami team is as bad as it has looked. Just didn't get a good qb in there.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
My understanding was that the original intention was to hire him as a draft day consultant for 2014 only. Doesn't seem like this is really news. Just part of what they always said was the plan.

Ireland may have had good info on AFC depth charts and where people were likely to be taken. All the scouting was probably done by the time they hired him. Seems like we got the guys we targeted, even though we moved back a ton. Maybe a good move.

Edit: I checked, and yeah, every source says he was hired to work through the 2014 draft only.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Oh, but why do your homework when you can just create your own scenario.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
How is not retaining his services "waking up" and "dumping him"?

I wonder if some of you pat yourselves in the back while giving yourself a high five through the mirror.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It would be really awesome if they ditched him and stuck him with a huge dinner bill right after telling him they would no longer need his services.

OP
OP
Tech Worlds

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2hn7b4gq said:

Pandion Haliaetus":2hn7b4gq said:

I wonder if some of you pat yourselves in the back while giving yourself a high five through the mirror.

Jesus you guys need help. Seek it soon.

I just read the article where it said

" The plan was for Ireland to be with the Seahawks through the draft, with the possibility of further work within the organization. The Seahawks decided to move on without him"

Looks like they dumped him to me. Sorry that I didn't use the adjectives or do the homework you desired.

I certainly wasn't strutting around like I was right or anything. Your post is off base.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Oh man, there is more sensationalism in the header of this greasy thread than a CNN breaking news "story."

I'm sure Ireland is devastated because he now has to pack his clothes into a suitcase, check out of Super 8 and return his rental car before heading to the airport.

:sarcasm_on:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":420ki0lm said:

True this!

Ultimately Ireland wasn't "dumped" just allowed to leave after his deal with the team was finished. Perhaps his deal here wasn't clear, perhaps he was brought here for information and or to see if he was a fit with our personnel team. Maybe his leaving was his idea.

Some here dislike Ireland and wish he'd never been asked to come here, lots of negativity about him. Clearly JS thinks much of him. Bill Parcells knows a lot about football liked him lots. He was good enough to be a GM for an NFL team which means he actually has some real abilities. There is little doubt he has a lot of football knowledge.

Let's all be a tad more temperate in our posts.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
jammerhawk":kjzyskoh said:
Some here dislike Ireland and wish he'd never been asked to come here, lots of negativity about him. Clearly JS thinks much of him. Bill Parcells knows a lot about football liked him lots. He was good enough to be a GM for an NFL team which means he actually has some real abilities. There is little doubt he has a lot of football knowledge.

Yeah, this. Like with a crappy head coach, there's almost always a pretty good foundational reason that they got to be a head coach in the first place; generally it's that they were at least really good at some specialty, but couldn't manage to put it all together upon promotion to do the full job effectively. It's likely to be the case with Ireland as well, that he's good at some things but lacks the overall skill set needed to make a good GM.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Perhaps all the though police in this thread can start another thread, one where we can all say nice things about Tim Ruskell. Ireland=Ruskell. I'm glad both are gone.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1esqt3o8 said:

I dont go through the mirror...that would be 7 years bad luck and I would probably have to become a Niner fan then. LOL :mrgreen:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't trust Ireland to scout talent. Or to manage scouts of talent. However, I don't think that was the reason he was brought in. My guess is that he was brought in consult on strategic elements of the draft process itself -- e.g. will we lose Player X to AFC Team A if we trade behind them. Now that he's served that purpose, he be gone. Works for me.

Seems like getting an outsider's perspective on that kind of stuff could be useful in future years, too. I'm sure the Seahawks' scouts don't grade players the same way other teams do, and that could conceivably cloud their judgment on where players are likely to be taken. Luckily, for something like this, the outsider doesn't need to be a good scout. He just needs to think the same way as other NFL GMs.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1eg5k88a said:
HawKnPeppa":1eg5k88a said:

Pandion Haliaetus":1eg5k88a said:

Jesus you guys need help. Seek it soon.

I just read the article where it said

" The plan was for Ireland to be with the Seahawks through the draft, with the possibility of further work within the organization. The Seahawks decided to move on without him"

Looks like they dumped him to me. Sorry that I didn't use the adjectives or do the homework you desired.

I certainly wasn't strutting around like I was right or anything. Your post is off base.

Since the subject of 'help' was breached, allow me to assist.

"The plan was for Ireland to be with the Seahawks through the draft..." STOP, because anything else was conditional upon what he brought to the table. Then comes "...with the POSSIBILITY of further work within the organization." That tells me that his time as an extra set of eyes doubled as an observation period. How does this equate to the F.O. suddenly "waking up" to realize some grave error? Yeah, I'm glad the F.O. narrowly averted a catastrophe. :th2thumbs: :lol: :177692: