Earl is officially our punt returner

ringless

Reaction score
I don't like this at all. That's just bc of what happened when Tyrann returned punts. Exposing players like them to the most dangerous plays. You guys need a special teams ace that is replaceable back there. Let Earl focus on what he does best. Defense.

Mick063

Reaction score
Folks were once declaring that because Patrick Peterson returned kicks, it should go on his resume for being the top corner in the game.

I never bought into that line of argument.

I think Earl is the best free safety in the league whether he returns punts or not.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
If ET lights it up as a punt returner and there is no drop off in his play on defense, then I will like it. Carroll wants his players to play free without a focus on injuries. I'm still not sure ET is that impressive as a punt returner in terms of breaking tackles. When he sees daylight, he can be dangerous.

Lxx

Reaction score
well it wouldnt be pete's philosophy to put what he considers the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best punt returner out here now would it?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawknation2014":18zyrhgh said:
If ET lights it up as a punt returner and there is no drop off in his play on defense, then I will like it. Carroll wants his players to play free without a focus on injuries. I'm still not sure ET is that impressive as a punt returner in terms of breaking tackles. When he sees daylight, he can be dangerous.
With Walters back this may be a moot point anyhow. My only fear of ET getting hurt is the "cheapshot factor".'
You can't tell me that Harbaugh, Fisher, Arians or any other coach that's tired if getting their tails kicked by the Hawks, wouldn't think it would be worth a 15 yard penalty to light ET up on a fair catch, to get the best defensive player out of the game..... It would be worth it IMHO if I was in their shoes!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":ygp9remu said:
hawknation2014":ygp9remu said:
With Walters back this may be a moot point anyhow. My only fear of ET getting hurt is the "cheapshot factor".'
You can't tell me that Harbaugh, Fisher, Arians or any other coach that's tired if getting their tails kicked by the Hawks, wouldn't think it would be worth a 15 yard penalty to light ET up on a fair catch, to get the best defensive player out of the game..... It would be worth it IMHO if I was in their shoes!

I think this "fear" is overblown. No one wants to open that can of worms.

This coming from someone that doesn't want Thomas to return punts mind you. But the cheap shot thing is over the top IMO. If this were the case someone would have cheap shot Earl on kickoff coverage a year ago.

warden

Reaction score
I wish our coach was as smart as you guys, like WTF is he thinking putting ET in as punt returner.

I for one have absolutely no problem with Earl returning punts. If you play scared you should be looking at a different career.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
warden":amz3bohi said:
I wish our coach was a smart of you guys, like WTF is he thinking putting ET in as punt returner.

I for one have absolutely no problem with Earl returning punts. If you play scared you should be looking at a different career.
This.

razgriz737

Reaction score
I know most of the arguments against Earl returning punts are for injury reasons, but IMO I just think he looks awkward fielding punts. Something about the way he runs feels sketchy. But what do I know anyway?

northseahawk

Reaction score
Let's all boo ET and Pete on Thursday whenever he is out for a punt return to get our (fans) position across

Like many of you have mentioned, WTH is this! Why! No one wants him to do it except ET himself n Pete. Even Kam n other players were totally against it.

northseahawk

Reaction score
razgriz737":1upnneth said:
I know most of the arguments against Earl returning punts are for injury reasons, but IMO I just think he looks awkward fielding punts. Something about the way he runs feels sketchy. But what do I know anyway?

Exactly! He doesn't have the shifting ability nor the experience in how to miss and take tackles like offensive players do. Plus, even if he is a great returner, why take a risk so huge and detrimental to the success n failure to this team!

northseahawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1r7y4b0d said:
Someone remind me to resuscitate this thread when Earl takes one to the house Thursday.

Let him take it to the house every game till the 7th week. What if he gets injured in the 8th week on a punt return n he is out the rest of the way? It's not about a single game. It's a about the bigger picture. This defense will not be the same without ET.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If Earl is the best at returning punts, then he should be doing it. The impact that a good return has on a game is very valuable. We wouldn't have won the division last year without them. Plus, we're only talking an extra few plays a game.

Also...I am stoked that I get to see more Earl Thomas.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
northseahawk":1gb2zfu0 said:
FlyingGreg":1gb2zfu0 said:
Someone remind me to resuscitate this thread when Earl takes one to the house Thursday.

Let him take it to the house every game till the 7th week. What if he gets injured in the 8th week on a punt return n he is out the rest of the way? It's not about a single game. It's a about the bigger picture. This defense will not be the same without ET.

And what's to say he doesn't get hurt playing safety? Should he even leave his house every day in case he gets hit by a meteor?

It's football. You don't play worrying about getting hurt.

Tired of the crying about this in this board.

Latest posts