Percy Harvin to be unleashed... Deep

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN FREAKING SAYING!

He's too damned fast not to use deep! JESUS. Please, make it happen, Pete! Super speed + great hands = NO BRAINER to take deep shots with!

Largent80

Reaction score
Last week they forgot the long pass for a TD that Carpenter took off the board.

I guess they have been sleepwalking in the last week and a half.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete wasn't saying that Percy is NOW going to be used deep, he was responding to a reporter's question about Percy's routes.

He's saying they do have deep plays for Percy, because he's too fast NOT to use deep. Just hasn't connected yet.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34w0u27s said:
Pete wasn't saying that Percy is NOW going to be used deep, he was responding to a reporter's question about Percy's routes.

He's saying they do have deep plays for Percy, because he's too fast NOT to use deep. Just hasn't connected yet.
Have to attempt 'em to complete 'em, and we've barely attempted any deep passes to Percy thus far.

Scratch that, per PFF there have been zero 20+ yard pass targets to Percy, though four 10-19-yard targets.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cpn4g31 said:

I don't know how many deep routes he ran on Sunday, but I'd bet he sees a vast increase against the Rams. Jenkins has been torched a few times this season so he could have a field day.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
He's to short for Russell to see. Russell went deep consistently and successfully when we had Sidney cause he could actually see him.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Since he is saying this (and Bevell is saying we need to get the ball to Lynch more) before we face off against the Rams, I guess we should suspect fewer touches for Marshawn and more bubble screens to Percy eh?

- bsd

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1vxmm99x said:
Since he is saying this (and Bevell is saying we need to get the ball to Lynch more) before we face off against the Rams, I guess we should suspect fewer touches for Marshawn and more bubble screens to Percy eh?

- bsd

No, it's all about that play-action, boss.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ss7c49u said:
Sgt. Largent":1ss7c49u said:

Have to attempt 'em to complete 'em, and we've barely attempted any deep passes to Percy thus far.

Scratch that, per PFF there have been zero 20+ yard pass targets to Percy, though four 10-19-yard targets.

Percy had a TD against the Skins that was called back, that was a deep in route.

Percy can run deep routes, but beating good corners deep and high pointing balls it's not what he does best. He's better at short to intermediate routes where he can use his speed to get separation quickly in space.

So I'm not of the "OMG if we just ran Percy deep all of our offensive problems would be fixed." Also remember after he runs a deep route he likes to take himself out of the game for a couple plays.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I would like to see more deep routes by Lockett, Harvin, Kearse and Richardson personally. I think all four of these guys could loosen up some defenses if given the chance here and there during a game. In turn that will back the safeties off a bit and open up some of those mid-range routs that Baldwin, Harvin (again), Wilson and even guys like Walters or maybe Norwood (a guy I would love to see get some playing time over Walters personally) run over the middle.

It would just be nice to see the offense pound the ball with ALL of their running backs (you too Christine Michael, if you're alive) and take some shots with some of those weapons they have on the outside. My only request is for the team to back off the bubble screens (no more than 2-3 times a game when needed for short yardage) and use Harvin a bit more like a WR, that would be nice.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3w1zd9y7 said:
So I'm not of the "OMG if we just ran Percy deep all of our offensive problems would be fixed."
Neither am I. In fact, nobody has said this that I've seen; you're just taking what I and some others have said about how it'd help open things up to send Percy deep regularly and adding a dash of hyperbole to the skillet to support your opinion. Cheers, mate.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1xmm8znd said:
THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN FREAKING SAYING!

He's too damned fast not to use deep! JESUS. Please, make it happen, Pete! Super speed + great hands = NO BRAINER to take deep shots with!
You did. I felt the same way. They let him go deep a few times against Washington but then went back to LOS stuff last Sunday.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":4w48lxc1 said:
The right noises at least, let's hope it comes to fruition.

"He's too fast not to use deep," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll told The Times ahead of Sunday's tilt with the Rams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... witter_atl

Taken from this original article (which may or may not have been linked) http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2 ... 17xml.html
Gee, who'd of thunk it? I mean you don't have to run him on a fly pattern every play but what about a 7-10 yard dig route or a few quick 5 yard slants or something? And for the love of God use Lockette and Richardson more in a mid-deep game. Lockette is always good for 1 50 yard catch and then we ignore him for the rest of the game.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Largent80":2baghs3q said:
Last week they forgot the long pass for a TD that Carpenter took off the board.

I guess they have been sleepwalking in the last week and a half.

Yup. I was so surprised that the play worked and then THEY ABANDONED IT like it was a failure.

It makes no sense. Percy can blow by a Defense if the play is set up right. The Carp penalty had NOTHING to do with that play working. So do more like it!

DavidSeven

Reaction score
For people killing the coaches for not passing deep to Harvin, do you guys know for a fact that they haven't sent him deep on routes where he was intended to be the #1 read?

Watch Pete's Monday press conference. He seemed agitated at the suggestion that the coaches aren't calling deep plays. They are calling them. The balls aren't getting thrown.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I saw Percy running wide open 20 yards down field on several occasions Sunday. Russell was just under too much pressure to get it to him.

...or just didn't see him cuz he is short.

Largent80

Reaction score
Here is the conundrum. Teams know they need to try and make RW stay in the pocket. The Hawks pretty much need to get the WR's to have a delayed go because there never IS a pocket. So, Russell needs to try and run to a spot to throw the ball and the wr's need to be open while he is trying to set up.

There are a lot of reasons for that....blitzes, poor blocking, bad play design or adjustments.

Easier said than done with our current line and TE situation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1dm941w3 said:
Sgt. Largent":1dm941w3 said:
So I'm not of the "OMG if we just ran Percy deep all of our offensive problems would be fixed."
Neither am I. In fact, nobody has said this that I've seen; you're just taking what I and some others have said about how it'd help open things up to send Percy deep regularly and adding a dash of hyperbole to the skillet to support your opinion. Cheers, mate.

I didn't know you were British? Who knew.

Hyperbole skillet, I'm using that one if you don't mind.