2014 Seattle Mariners

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hate to be a negative Nancy, but Jackson & Denorfia may be too late. Losing again tonight and dropping like a rock in the Wild Card standings.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2189z40q said:
SeatownJay":2189z40q said:
Sports Hernia":2189z40q said:
Yep, not worried about Cano in the least. He is a professional hitter, who has missed a few HR's by mere inches. As it warms up the ball really starts to fly out of Safeco and it plays much like your average ballpark.
So you're saying Cano should reach double-digit home runs by August?
There is no need for you in this thread. Leave.

FYI, it's August 1st and Cano has 7 home runs. But go ahead and continue your moral superiority.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":9feddk5h said:
CurryStopstheRuns":9feddk5h said:
SeatownJay":9feddk5h said:
Sports Hernia":9feddk5h said:
Yep, not worried about Cano in the least. He is a professional hitter, who has missed a few HR's by mere inches. As it warms up the ball really starts to fly out of Safeco and it plays much like your average ballpark.

FYI, it's August 1st and Cano has 7 home runs. But go ahead and continue your moral superiority.

Why are you trying to wind people up though? Are you trying to discuss the Mariners, or just take the jelly from people's donuts?

Honest question. this thread has three posts: Yeah Mariners. Mariners are irrelevant and suck. Actual baseball discussion about the Mariners baseball team.

The first two unfortunately take up more space than the third

SonicHawk

Reaction score
They were good trades for sure. Anytime you can improve your club and not give up a lot in return it's a win. Nick Franklin was done in this organization. If he turns out to be a good ballplayer it really doesn't matter, there isn't room for him. That wasn't the case for Adam Jones or Shin Soo Choo. Those were BAD trades.

I don't know if it's enough. There wasn't too much available as far as 'good' trades. I doubt Jack Z is back next year if the team doesn't make the playoffs. I wanted to sell the farm for some real players (besides DJ), not just decent rentals.

This is a scary team in the playoffs... well, I mean it was, until OAK and DET made moves to put freaking all stars in their rotation.

Mariners are the 4th best team in the AL.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1kkszbk4 said:
Why are you trying to wind people up though? Are you trying to discuss the Mariners, or just take the jelly from people's donuts?

Honest question. this thread has three posts: Yeah Mariners. Mariners are irrelevant and suck. Actual baseball discussion about the Mariners baseball team.

Because Curry has a habit of jumping on anyone in this thread that dares to post anything other than blind optimism about the Mariners. I posted a serious question, I even backed it up with statistical evidence in a follow-up post, and his only response was to tell me to leave. I could've also included your response that told me I was boring.

I've posted before in this thread that I've been pleasantly surprised by the team this year after having extremely low expectations back in March/April. I'd be more than happy to have an actual discussion about the M's but I don't see how it's possible when responses like the above are the norm whenever I, or anyone, mentions the team's many flaws.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2pwyvych said:
They were good trades for sure. Anytime you can improve your club and not give up a lot in return it's a win. Nick Franklin was done in this organization. If he turns out to be a good ballplayer it really doesn't matter, there isn't room for him. That wasn't the case for Adam Jones or Shin Soo Choo. Those were BAD trades.

I don't know if it's enough. There wasn't too much available as far as 'good' trades. I doubt Jack Z is back next year if the team doesn't make the playoffs. I wanted to sell the farm for some real players (besides DJ), not just decent rentals.

This is a scary team in the playoffs... well, I mean it was, until OAK and DET made moves to put freaking all stars in their rotation.

Mariners are the 4th best team in the AL.
I like the Jackson trade. The Denorfia trade is meh to me, as is the Morales trade. I do like the fact that Jack actually did something to address the offense, though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2cumxx6d said:
Uncle Si":2cumxx6d said:

Because Curry has a habit of jumping on anyone in this thread that dares to post anything other than blind optimism about the Mariners. I posted a serious question, I even backed it up with statistical evidence in a follow-up post, and his only response was to tell me to leave. I could've also included your response that told me I was boring.

I've posted before in this thread that I've been pleasantly surprised by the team this year after having extremely low expectations back in March/April. I'd be more than happy to have an actual discussion about the M's but I don't see how it's possible when responses like the above are the norm whenever I, or anyone, mentions the team's many flaws.

Fair enough, and I agree.

you do have a tendancy of popping into the thread and being overtly negative, as if you're baiting people.

Actual discussion:

Our three trades have made us better. Good enough to catch the Jays and hold off the Royals and Yankees?

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SeatownJay":191rn0sb said:
CurryStopstheRuns":191rn0sb said:
SeatownJay":191rn0sb said:
Sports Hernia":191rn0sb said:

You just stir shit in this thread. You mention one positive post as if that covers the myriad of I told you so posts and general snarky negativity.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
It really depends on how much the offense improves. I don't really see KC as a threat, but the Yankees still have 18 games left against the Red Sox & Rays and they no longer have to worry about facing Price, Lester, or Lackey in those games.

The 3-game series against Baltimore is important. They need to win the series to get some sense of momentum again.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":9thny8jx said:
It really depends on how much the offense improves. I don't really see KC as a threat, but the Yankees still have 18 games left against the Red Sox & Rays and they no longer have to worry about facing Price, Lester, or Lackey in those games.

The 3-game series against Baltimore is important. They need to win the series to get some sense of momentum again.

Statistically (if we go by WAR), the've added 3 wins. They have the better pitching staff of the three, but maybe a more difficult schedule. The offense will need to improve around the three additions as well, and that inclused Cano's power numbers.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3v6o36no said:
SeatownJay":3v6o36no said:

Statistically (if we go by WAR), the've added 3 wins. They have the better pitching staff of the three, but maybe a more difficult schedule. The offense will need to improve around the three additions as well, and that inclused Cano's power numbers.

While I would like to see more power from Cano, he is still ripping doubles and triples and generally getting on base. The lack of power would be less of an issue if the team could be more clutch batting behind him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3jv22og4 said:
Uncle Si":3jv22og4 said:
SeatownJay":3jv22og4 said:

While I would like to see more power from Cano, he is still ripping doubles and triples and generally getting on base. The lack of power would be less of an issue if the team could be more clutch batting behind him.

Yeah, i'm happy with Cano, but we also know the players behind him cant be counted on consistently. We knew they couldnt when we went in for Cano.

I love the power numbers and OBP, but i'd like to see more RBI.

The team is close (to a playoff team, not the A's, O's, Tigers and Angels). A little bit more power from Cano would help bridge that gap between us and the Jays.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So since we're all in "serious discussion" mode, where do you think Jackson & Denorfia slot into the lineup?

Also I'd just like to bring up the fact that I'm thrilled they finally brought up Chris Taylor.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1cd48tx1 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1cd48tx1 said:

Yeah, i'm happy with Cano, but we also know the players behind him cant be counted on consistently. We knew they couldnt when we went in for Cano.

I love the power numbers and OBP, but i'd like to see more RBI.

The team is close (to a playoff team, not the A's, O's, Tigers and Angels). A little bit more power from Cano would help bridge that gap between us and the Jays.

I think any combination of Ackley and Jackson in the one or two hole will improve those RBI numbers. While I like the long ball, I have always been more of a fan of doubles and triples as they are more difficult for a pitch to forget since a base runner remains in scoring position.

Tical21

Reaction score
I don't love Austin Jackson. He's probably an upgrade over Jones, but is inconsistent at best. Plays a good center though. Doesn't hit for average, power, or steal bases. I hope they put some thought into leaving Ackley at the top while he's getting on base, and sliding Jackson to the 7-hole or therabouts. Meh. I'm kinda into Denorfia though. I like the way he plays, and he can hit for average, which I still contend is the way Safeco needs to be played. I think the bulk of our playoff chances lies at the feet of one Kendrys Morales. If he can hit .280 with pop, we're legit. If he hits .230 with none, we're not. We've had our downturn. Time to turn it back up and push hard.