M's Off season, 2017-2018

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawkfan68":8c8ymzt2 said:
Obviously Ohtani wasn't looking to join a small market team.

Or he simply didn't want to play for the worst MLB franchise. Would you blame some hot NFL prospect for not signing with the Browns? At least he has a chance to win with the team he signed with.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":39rrwphn said:
therealjohncarlson":39rrwphn said:
massari":39rrwphn said:
If they don't end up with Ohtani, it'll be an epic failure at this point considering all the prospects they've given away from an already depleted farm system.

If we don't get him and don't put the international money to good use, honestly I think it's a fireable offense for all of them, mainly DiDummy

Why in the world would you say that? Dipoto has done any and everything in his power to try and get it done. If they ultimately lose out cause Ohtani wants to live on the beach in SD and is cool with only 300k signing bonus What possibly more could Dipoto have done?

If that happens, we turn around and spend the international bonus money on a bunch of young Venequelen, dominican, cuban etc players. We can useit this year, we can push it to next etc. It can help replenish what was lost. Younger guys yes, but potentially higher ceilings.

Also the Braves had to forfit like 10 international signinings cause they got caught cheating. So we can sign some of those guys too.
Those players the Braves gave up are free agents but on hold..They do not need to be drafted ect btw
Losing OH to the Angels sucks but there was going to be only one of seven that gets him.
Time to move on.The GM tried hard and really there are a few IFA's we can get with that money
who is to say we won't get a couple superstars from this while Ohtani can be a bust?
One door closes and others will open,the game is funny like that.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Msfann":1zmpd6l0 said:
gowazzu02":1zmpd6l0 said:
Vpk0718":1zmpd6l0 said:
Fire Dipoto. Idiot traded away some good prospects for nothing now.

So you'd rather he not of tried?

He gambeled and failed, pissed away some of our top prospects in a hail Mary to save his failing career. I would feel differently if he succeeded but he didn't.

I think he should be fired too.

Strongly agree, he went all in and lost. He has made a ton of deals, but ultimately has just spun down the tires while wheeling.

massari

Reaction score
JD has 7 months to make something good happen with all that international spending money or it could be the final straw.

Also getting Chone Figgins vibes from Dee Gordon. Please be wrong.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think M's made an effort but Ohtani wasn't ever coming to Seattle (IMO). Not when you have two good teams in the LA market bidding for his services. He is also looking at his long term future. He's capped on what he can make since he's under 25. He's trying to maximize his position for his next contract and being in a larger market helps him more. It makes sense business wise for him too.

The problem with Dipoto is that he has weakened the pitching. Pitching was the strength of the team before he took over. Since he took over, he's bringing in bats at the expense of good pitching. That's what hurt the M's last season, their lack of good pitching.

getnasty

Reaction score
He didn't get nothing in return for the prospects he got Dee Gordon who is a batting champ and an all star. It sucks to lose out but we'll be in the mix if we can figure out how to boost the starting rotation.

DHawk

Reaction score
Well, we have until June to use 3.5mil worth of international cash. Hopefully it can make up for the prospects we lost, what a cluster... Gotta say though, what a shot to the gut. I love this team... but we're the Browns of MLB.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
What about that Cuban guy the Atlanta Braves lost, or is that something completely different?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ms got Dee Gordon. That’s a nice get. Losing out in Ohtani sucks but.. they tried. That’s promising. One thing with JD, he’s always trying. Not always successfully, but you can assume that the international money will be used, and many additional moves on the horizon.

Not saying they’ll work, but atleast it’s interesting

Vpk0718

Reaction score
Yes. Dipoto is bad and I'm tired of this team keeping bad GMs around for years too long. We wasted most of Felix's career on Bavasi and Z, two GMs that the fans knew were terrible but stayed way too long. The same is going to happen again. This ownership doesn't give a shit about winning and is fine with mediocrity.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Vpk0718":2i4fnudi said:
Yes. Dipoto is bad and I'm tired of this team keeping bad GMs around for years too long. We wasted most of Felix's career on Bavasi and Z, two GMs that the fans knew were terrible but stayed way too long. The same is going to happen again. This ownership doesn't give a shit about winning and is fine with mediocrity.

Except they keep financing free agent moves and aggressive trades?

One thing not to like the moves, but it’s not for a lack of trying or caring.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Well RIP 2018 season... the Yankees just won the WS. Doubt anyone will be able to beat that lineup now. Sucking suck!

Rat

Reaction score
I freaking hate being a Marlins fan. The team was finally interesting for the first time in 15 years, and then the new ownership comes in and ships out our MVP at the first chance, and to the Yankees of all teams. :cry:

I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I figured if anyone could commiserate with me, it'd be Mariners fans.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I honestly don't get all of the criticism Dipoto gets. He's much better than Jack Z or Bavasi. Those guys literally threw money at big time free agents that never panned out. It's not like Dipoto is giving bad deals left and right.

My main knock on Dipoto is the lack of emphasis on pitching, but to be fair he inherited one of the worst offensive franchises in MLB history. Before Dipoto, this team was setting records for inept offense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Rat":vdn37qsb said:
I freaking hate being a Marlins fan. The team was finally interesting for the first time in 15 years, and then the new ownership comes in and ships out our MVP at the first chance, and to the Yankees of all teams. :cry:

I know that has nothing to do with this thread, but I figured if anyone could commiserate with me, it'd be Mariners fans.

Not for the first time as well. Being a Marlins fan has to be frustrating.

massari

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GregJohnsMLB/status/940297775329226752[/tweet]

P5TeuEh

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Crizilla":32yo6uuh said:
Manny Machado PLEASE

He wants to play SS

OF course, Jean played pretty good at SS, but he made some big errors there as well, which is why Arizona put him in OF.. that would take care of a lot really.

Gordon, Jean, Gamble, the two other guys.

Latest posts