The Qatar World Cup Will Be Held In The Winter

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-qatar-world-cup-will-be-held-in-the-winter-1686591704/+GregHoward1

Bad news: the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is still happening, in Qatar. Worse news: the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will take place in November and December.

Sports Illustrated's Grant Wahl has the goods:

Multiple sources say it's a done deal that World Cup 2022 will take place in November and December of 2022 in Qatar. A FIFA task force will meet in Doha next week and make that recommendation, and the FIFA Executive Committee is set to make the decision final at its meeting in Zurich next month.

Well, beats players dropping of heat exhaustion, I guess.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Hey, good news is that the temperatures there might just drop into double digits for at least part of the night. I've been through Qatar a few times, and unless you've been to that part of the world, you have really no idea how hellishly hot it is. The first time I stepped off the plane, I thought I'd just walked into the prop wash of one of the engines. Nope, just "cool" ocean breezes. During the day, it's so hot you don't even know you're sweating--it just evaporates so fast you can't see or feel it. Then you hit the air conditioning and are instantly drenched in sweat, like you've just gotten out of the shower fully clothed. Having the World Cup there was one of the stupidest ideas in sports I've ever heard, and that's not even addressing geopolitical issues such as safety and terrorism.

Seabhac

Reaction score
It may be the beginning of the end for the World Cup...I hope not. I can't see the big leagues of Europe releasing players for the tournament.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":20lqwikh said:
Can't wait to see how the English FA and other major European FAs will react to this. The whole thing is complete nonsense, in my opinion. The reason that the World Cup and the European Championship are played in the summer is because that is when the major club leagues are in their off season. This to me is pretty damaging to football as a whole.
FIFA, and specifically Sepp Blatter, don't care about what's best for football, their only concern is what's best for their bank accounts.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seabhac":1t34y0mq said:
It may be the beginning of the end for the World Cup...I hope not. I can't see the big leagues of Europe releasing players for the tournament.

They would have to shut the leagues down. There is no way they could run this like an African Cup of Nations type scenario where suddenly a couple guys from big clubs are just gone from the lineup.

Imagine Chelsea, Arsenal and City (or Bayern, Real, Barca) trying to stay atop the (current) standings with their internationals gone, while Spurs, Southampton and Liverpool (Dortmund, Shalke, Atleti) gleefully play on missing one or two (or 5 for Liverpool).

Cant be done. Which means you have to afford not only 35 days for the tournament but another 4 weeks for recovery.

I think the FA and La Liga's governing body (is that just Real and Barca?) will play a major part in this story in the next 3-4 months.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seabhac":qc02ovy9 said:

All the top leagues will just take a big WC break............and the WC will never go away, as it's a bajillion dollar money maker.

Things that make this much money never go away.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":3vjhcup6 said:
http://screamer.deadspin.com/the-qatar-world-cup-will-be-held-in-the-winter-1686591704/+GregHoward1

Bad news: the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is still happening, in Qatar. Worse news: the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will take place in November and December.

Sports Illustrated's Grant Wahl has the goods:

Multiple sources say it's a done deal that World Cup 2022 will take place in November and December of 2022 in Qatar. A FIFA task force will meet in Doha next week and make that recommendation, and the FIFA Executive Committee is set to make the decision final at its meeting in Zurich next month.

Well, beats players dropping of heat exhaustion, I guess.
As Sailor said it still doesn't solve the weather problem that much though it will be SLIGHTLY less then hellishly hot given that's almost the coolest part of the year in that area of the world. All it really tells me is that the World Cup selection decision and process is rife with corruption this decision just reeks of it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bf08g6sv said:
Seabhac":bf08g6sv said:

All the top leagues will just take a big WC break............and the WC will never go away, as it's a bajillion dollar money maker.

England, Spain, Italy, Germany, Argentina can still field teams while its stars play in their leagues.

What makes more money than the world cup is the domestic and Champs leagues. and its not close

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3e1uzjz4 said:
Sgt. Largent":3e1uzjz4 said:
Seabhac":3e1uzjz4 said:

England, Spain, Italy, Germany, Argentina can still field teams while its stars play in their leagues.

What makes more money than the world cup is the domestic and Champs leagues. and its not close

1. Just because clubs CAN field enough to play for a month or more during their season, doesn't mean they want to. I doubt clubs like Barca and Real Madrid are going to want to lose all 11 of their starters for 1-2 months.

2. Different money. Domestic and Champions League makes big money for the clubs and those specific leagues. World Cup money is divided up between FIFA and the national teams (and Sepp Blatter's offshore bank accounts).

In 2014, FIFA divided up 576 million between the participating countries, ain't no way that's going away.

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/prize-m ... -cup-2014/

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":l3r5497b said:
Uncle Si":l3r5497b said:
Sgt. Largent":l3r5497b said:
Seabhac":l3r5497b said:

1. Just because clubs CAN field enough to play for a month or more during their season, doesn't mean they want to. I doubt clubs like Barca and Real Madrid are going to want to lose all 11 of their starters for 1-2 months.

2. Different money. Domestic and Champions League makes big money for the clubs and those specific leagues. World Cup money is divided up between FIFA and the national teams (and Sepp Blatter's offshore bank accounts).

In 2014, FIFA divided up 576 million between the participating countries, ain't no way that's going away.

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/prize-m ... -cup-2014/

576 million divided by 32 teams is 18 million... thats a mid tier transfer fee in January for a team in the top half of any of these leagues. You think Chelsea wants to lose 1/2 its lineup in November/December for the World Cup? Do you think the BPL wants to shut down operations for 8 weeks and then field a stretched product in February/March while its players try and recover fitness. Do you remember how poor the PL product was in August/September?

Your point 1 is exactly what Seab, peaches and I are saying. The domestic leagues can have a massive say in how this plays out. I'd be very interested to see what a Bayern says about giving up 1/3 of the German national squad mid season.

This is round 2 (round 1 was actually giving Qatar the tournament)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3czyrhjx said:
576 million divided by 32 teams is 18 million... thats a mid tier transfer fee in January for a team in the top half of any of these leagues. You think Chelsea wants to lose 1/2 its lineup in November/December for the World Cup? Do you think the BPL wants to shut down operations for 8 weeks and then field a stretched product in February/March while its players try and recover fitness. Do you remember how poor the PL product was in August/September?)

When did I say it was more than the big domestic leagues?

576 million divided by the qualifying nations is still a lot of money, and vital for I'd say way more than half the nations that depend on WC money to sustain their national teams.

Seabhac said he hoped that the Qatar games wasn't the beginning of the end, and I was merely saying that the WC isn't going anywhere, no matter what time of year it's played. It's the biggest sporting event on the planet and makes too many people A LOT of money.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":31q61ffz said:
Uncle Si":31q61ffz said:
576 million divided by 32 teams is 18 million... thats a mid tier transfer fee in January for a team in the top half of any of these leagues. You think Chelsea wants to lose 1/2 its lineup in November/December for the World Cup? Do you think the BPL wants to shut down operations for 8 weeks and then field a stretched product in February/March while its players try and recover fitness. Do you remember how poor the PL product was in August/September?)

576 million divided by the qualifying nations is still a lot of money, and vital for I'd say way more than half the nations that depend on WC money to sustain their national teams.

Seabhac said he hoped that the Qatar games wasn't the beginning of the end, and I was merely saying that the WC isn't going anywhere, no matter what time of year it's played. It's the biggest sporting event on the planet and makes too many people A LOT of money.

Well - For sure FIFA make a ton of money. The clubs just pray that their players don't get injured.
My prediction for is that it will be scrapped - Main reasons being the fact that it has to be Nov/Dec.

In reality the fact that its planned for Nov/Dec should be the least reason not to have it there - lots of human rights issues in the preparation etc. Who knows how stable the region will be in 6 years.

The good news (and what I'm hoping for) is that the USA would be in line to step in as hosts. Already a favorite for 2026 IF the process is transparent and fair. I think if it got pulled from Qatar the USSF would consider that "fair" and go ahead and bid/win.

Seabhac

Reaction score
Do you remember the awful effect Man United had on the FA Cup after they pulled out to participate in the Fledgling FIFA World Club Cup in 2000. FA Cup has never recovered as prestige tournament since then.

The English FA hate FIFA. This should be interesting.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So what would the fallout be if the big European leagues refused to release their players for the World Cup?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1pkruv5h said:
Uncle Si":1pkruv5h said:

Got you.

What I am saying is that Qatar may be the time when the domestic leagues stand up to FIFA. While 576 million may be alot of money, that's really nothing to the domestic leagues, or specifically the top domestic teams. It is them who will be the most effected by this. Basically, FIFA has decided to take on some of the wealthiest people in the world. They won't win that.

If Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, City, Real, Barca, Arsenal, Bayern all decide to keep their players from the national team (which they can do... some of the English teams have already made similar moves regarding their English call ups during international breaks) it will put a major wrinkle in the tournament.

Don't mistake money making for popularity. If France, Germany, England, Spain, the Dutch are all represented by 2nd tier players, that will have a major impact on the tournament. And again, while 576 million is alot of money, its not enough to sway a Saudi oil monarch or Russian steel magnate from winning a title in May.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3dilfilb said:
What I am saying is that Qatar may be the time when the domestic leagues stand up to FIFA. While 576 million may be alot of money, that's really nothing to the domestic leagues, or specifically the top domestic teams. It is them who will be the most effected by this. Basically, FIFA has decided to take on some of the wealthiest people in the world. They won't win that. .

I hope that does happen. I don't think it will cause FIFA's in bed with every nook and cranny of the soccer world, but I hope it does.

Qatar is a joke, and never should have happened if not for the wheel barrels of cash that the Qatar contingent rolled into Blatter's office to secure the tournament.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":7qazzggg said:
Uncle Si":7qazzggg said:
What I am saying is that Qatar may be the time when the domestic leagues stand up to FIFA. While 576 million may be alot of money, that's really nothing to the domestic leagues, or specifically the top domestic teams. It is them who will be the most effected by this. Basically, FIFA has decided to take on some of the wealthiest people in the world. They won't win that. .

I hope that does happen. I don't think it will cause FIFA's in bed with every nook and cranny of the soccer world, but I hope it does.

Qatar is a joke, and never should have happened if not for the wheel barrels of cash that the Qatar contingent rolled into Blatter's office to secure the tournament.

Not suggesting any of it will happen. However, the FA has to feel the Qatar thing more than others. England (and the US) were next in line for that World Cup. FIFA's insistence here is pitting them head to head with an organization as stubborn as them.

or... scrap all that. Apparently the European leagues are now fixated on additional compensation instead.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/even-the-big-european-powers-cant-stop-the-winter-world-1687692141

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
BBC News last night indicated that the leagues will have to shut down and that they will demand some compensation for lost revenue/hassle of having to change their schedules.

Good. FIFA are so covered in dirty money they should have their headquarters in Washington DC. I think they could even teach our politicians a thing or two!

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":3stb8mcq said:
BBC News last night indicated that the leagues will have to shut down and that they will demand some compensation for lost revenue/hassle of having to change their schedules.

Good. FIFA are so covered in dirty money they should have their headquarters in Washington DC. I think they could even teach our politicians a thing or two!
FIFA's already stated they won't provide any compensation to teams or leagues for the inconvenience, stating that they have seven years to figure it out.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2015 ... -in-qatar/
Valcke also said there will be no compensation paid to club teams for the inconvenience of rescheduling the 2022 World Cup, nor will there be an apology from FIFA.

“There will be no compensation,” Valcke said. “We are doing nothing which destroys football. There is seven years to reorganize football around the world for this World Cup.”

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Which makes this a media driven negotiation. I would imagine there will be something to compensate. Right now its a staring contest. Who knows what it will look like 3 years from now.

Latest posts