Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:48 pm
  • I know there's a lot of opposition to anything fish, but if you look at the Ryan Muraro 2011 Seattle Sockeyes mock-up (several posts prior to this), I love the colors and the sockeye looks badass. But again, the colors -- they are BOLD and AGGRESSIVE.

Kraken would be an interesting name, but if you compare Muraro's reddish-orange, green, and blue Sockeyes kit mock-up to Josh Crookston's blue/green/white Kraken kit mock-up, I think you'll readily see that the latter looks incredibly tame in comparison.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:38 pm
  • Ruminator wrote:I know there's a lot of opposition to anything fish, but if you look at the Ryan Muraro 2011 Seattle Sockeyes mock-up (several posts prior to this), I love the colors and the sockeye looks badass. But again, the colors -- they are BOLD and AGGRESSIVE.

Kraken would be an interesting name, but if you compare Muraro's reddish-orange, green, and blue Sockeyes kit mock-up to Josh Crookston's blue/green/white Kraken kit mock-up, I think you'll readily see that the latter looks incredibly tame in comparison.

Can we have a bold and aggressive uniform without using red? Red is just so not PNW to me. All the teams we route against and hate wear red (49ers, Cardinals, Texas Rangers, Angels). If anything red is Anti-Pacific Northwest...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 pm
  • The Sockeye mock-up does look good, but agree with the too much red.

Hard to get red into a team from the PNW. Maybe were just so used to blues, greens and greys.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:The Sockeye mock-up does look good, but agree with the too much red.

Hard to get red into a team from the PNW. Maybe were just so used to blues, greens and greys.

Arn't spawning sockeye red?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:36 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:The Sockeye mock-up does look good, but agree with the too much red.

So then we'd be a pregnant fish? Uhh, no thanks...
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:56 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:The Sockeye mock-up does look good, but agree with the too much red.

The SuperSonics wore red uniforms in the 90s -

I'd like to see other colors being used.....I'm tried of everything pro sports being either green or blue. Another color mix would be nice.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:26 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    Bobblehead wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:The Sockeye mock-up does look good, but agree with the too much red.

So then we'd be a pregnant fish? Uhh, no thanks...

Well.. they are not all pregy.
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:01 am
  • I don't mind red. Why does everything in Seattle has to be blue or green? Those are kinda played out to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:11 am
  • dopeboy206 wrote:I don't mind red. Why does everything in Seattle has to be blue or green? Those are kinda played out to me.

[b][/b The only thing red in Seattle is when red tide happens.
    Red is for the Cardinals,Reds and Red Sox ect.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:29 pm
  • DJrmb wrote:
    DHawk wrote:Love the Aviators! Would like to see some different color schemes for it too. Wow!

Yeah I'd personally like to see the Action Green worked in a bit from the Seahawks/Sounders colors. Not a lot just enough as a statement of unity...

alright this is just awesome. But knowing Seattle they wouldn't want this particular guy as the logo
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:52 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    dopeboy206 wrote:I don't mind red. Why does everything in Seattle has to be blue or green? Those are kinda played out to me.

[b][/b The only thing red in Seattle is when red tide happens.
    Red is for the Cardinals,Reds and Red Sox ect.
    idc that blue and green is played out.

dopeboy206
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 pm
  • you guys are so cute, you are going to spend 600m to gold plate a dumpster? has anyone committed to paying the expansion/application fee yet? :P
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:06 pm
  • m0ng0 wrote:you guys are so cute, you are going to spend 600m to gold plate a dumpster? has anyone committed to paying the expansion/application fee yet? :P

Yea, the expansion application is for the David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer ownership group. It's not an open application, its specifically for that group. So I assume they'll be paying it once awarded the expansion franchise.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 pm
  • Has the Seattle group payed the 10 million expansion application fee yet? I would love to see the NHL in the Northwest, I would prefer Portland :P but I would be a fan for either city, I just wonder how committed they really are
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 pm
  • I think they're 100% committed. They've been involved int he KeyArena renovation the whole time as well.

Its not a coincidence that once the city approved the MOU for the Key renovation, the next day the NHL announced they can fill out the expansion team application.

I think behind the scenes, this is all done and inevitable.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:23 pm
  • Can't they get it earlier and just play in Portland or BC for a year.. like some other franchises have done in the past?
    Bobblehead
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:58 am
  • Bobblehead wrote:Can't they get it earlier and just play in Portland or BC for a year.. like some other franchises have done in the past?

Have there been expansion franchises that have played in other states and countries?

I could see the Tacoma Dome, that holds 20k. But if you're the new ownership group, why rush it? Gotta lay the groundwork for your entire organizational structure, that can take years.

Head coach, GM, assistants, scouts, internal offices like marketing to start promoting, advertising and selling season tix, etc.

Anyway, no reason to rush this IMO. Let's do it right so we hit the ground running.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:56 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:you guys are so cute, you are going to spend 600m to gold plate a dumpster? has anyone committed to paying the expansion/application fee yet? :P

Yea, the expansion application is for the David Bonderman and Jerry Bruckheimer ownership group. It's not an open application, its specifically for that group. So I assume they'll be paying it once awarded the expansion franchise.

So the people in the state of Washington and King County taxpayers will not have to pay for anything but tickets to watch games correct?
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:49 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:you guys are so cute, you are going to spend 600m to gold plate a dumpster? has anyone committed to paying the expansion/application fee yet? :P

So the people in the state of Washington and King County taxpayers will not have to pay for anything but tickets to watch games correct?

Yep, and tens of millions for traffic mitigation.

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local ... -473972650

As much as I was rooting for Hansen, give Lieweke and the OVG group credit. They understood the political situation, came in and kicked some serious ass to get this done.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    twisted_steel2 wrote:

Yep, and tens of millions for traffic mitigation.

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local ... -473972650

As much as I was rooting for Hansen, give Lieweke and the OVG group credit. They understood the political situation, came in and kicked some serious ass to get this done.

Yep. IMHO CH was too nice, and the Seattle CC took advantage of that.
    Leiweke knew how to play the political game that’s why his plan succeeded.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am
  • If anyone needed another reason Not to go with the "Seattle Sockeyes":

Davenport — a best-selling author based in Western Washington — has filed to trademark the name “Seattle Sockeyes,” as well as for another fictional football team she writes about, the “Seattle Steelheads.” She’s also written about a “Seattle Skookums” baseball team. But she has only filed to protect the name in her books — it won’t prevent a sports team from using the title.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/387801/seattle-sockeyes-romance/
    DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 pm
  • http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2218 ... nchise-bid

Last week, DetroitHockey.net reported that someone who apparently works for OVG registered 38 website domains with 13 possible team names: Cougars, Eagles, Emeralds, Evergreens, Firebirds, Kraken, Rainiers, Renegades, Sea Lions, Seals, Sockeyes, Totems and Whales. The team's potential name has become one of the hottest topics in town, igniting a mad dash for rights.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:07 pm

• http://q13fox.com/2018/02/18/brian-robi ... up-sports/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:57 pm
  • Sacramento Kings are scheduling a preseason game in Seattle next season. Where I don't know as the Key will be a building site and Tacoma Dome gets refurbed. NBA wants their piece of the pie?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 pm
  • They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

The Kings? Really the ones that held out and held out on a buy out and flipped the bird at Seattle when we tried to buy them initially or Hansen I should say, Is the NBA and Seattle City Council doing a double bird flip to Hansen and the Sonic fans here?

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:48 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

The Kings? Really the ones that held out and held out on a buy out and flipped the bird at Seattle when we tried to buy them initially or Hansen I should say, Is the NBA and Seattle City Council doing a double bird flip to Hansen and the Sonic fans here?

Opponent is rumored to be Golden State. Kings vs Thunder would be interesting. People may show up to boo both.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 am
  • So, a Sonics return is a definite maybe? :2thumbs:
    There's what I used to know, what I think I know, and what I know I know. And they all get lost in the haze sometimes.
    grizbob
    NET Veteran

Location: Born in Oakharbor, raised in the west, sentenced to life in St George

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:05 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

Yeah the Kings is the only part of this that irritates me.

That's tone deaf on Silver and the NBA's part, to think we'd embrace a pre-season game with the team the league did their best to block coming here.

Durant and the Warriors I understand, we love KD.

I say we sell out the place with everyone wearing Sonics gear, and just scream Go Sonics for 48 minutes ignoring the game entirely.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

That's tone deaf on Silver and the NBA's part, to think we'd embrace a pre-season game with the team the league did their best to block coming here.

I say we sell out the place with everyone wearing Sonics gear, and just scream Go Sonics for 48 minutes ignoring the game entirely.

Ahh better yet start the Super and other side of the arena Sonics Cheer.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:15 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:They could do it in Kent or Everett or HEC ED or what used to be called Hec Ed Pavillion.

Would love to see either happen.
    Ruminator
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:37 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:23 pm
  • Something about it just doesnt look NBA/NHL standard still. We needed the full blown separate brand spankin' new arena.
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    WhyDidntWeRun.jpg
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:08 am
  • Crizilla wrote:Something about it just doesnt look NBA/NHL standard still. We needed the full blown separate brand spankin' new arena.

Not happy unless you're not happy.
    TransGenderHawkFan
    NET Starter

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:01 am
  • Crizilla wrote:Something about it just doesnt look NBA/NHL standard still. We needed the full blown separate brand spankin' new arena.

I think it would have been easier for sure. I still dont get the 'we need to save the roof' part of all this, but not a lot about this arena adventure has made sense honestly.

But I do think it'll be nice when its complete, impossible to get to and get home! :D But its probably going to be pretty nice when complete.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:50 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I actually do think this is going to happen.

There's a LOT of pissed off We Want our Sonics Back fans that are going to make this game their rally cry to let the league know they aren't going away until we get our team back.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:27 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I actually do think this is going to happen.

There's a LOT of pissed off We Want our Sonics Back fans that are going to make this game their rally cry to let the league know they aren't going away until we get our team back.

I'm very pissed but I don't want a Sonics redux if you will.
    They stole the team like sneaky thieves..I haven't followed the NBA since.
    Would rather the new team be just that ..New name and all
    Even then I can't say I'd be a fan.The game is not the same.
    The memory of that Championship is something they cannot touch
    and I'm glad I was there to see it.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am
  • So yesterday Bonderman and Bruckheimer said that they also want to own an NBA team on top of NHL. Having the same owners probably helps with any scheduling issues between the two leagues and one of them is already a minority owner of the Celtics so has the connections. Given the random NBA preseason game that has just been scheduled, is it likely something is happening behind the scenes with the NBA. Expand to us and Mexico city?

I doubt they would have hinted at the NBA yesterday unless there was something. possibly happening.

Does this also kill SODO and Chris Hansens attempted completely? If so, I wonder what happens to all the SODO land...it certainly won't be going to the port unless the city make him sell it.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:39 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:So yesterday Bonderman and Bruckheimer said that they also want to own an NBA team on top of NHL. Having the same owners probably helps with any scheduling issues between the two leagues and one of them is already a minority owner of the Celtics so has the connections. Given the random NBA preseason game that has just been scheduled, is it likely something is happening behind the scenes with the NBA. Expand to us and Mexico city?

I doubt they would have hinted at the NBA yesterday unless there was something. possibly happening.

Does this also kill SODO and Chris Hansens attempted completely? If so, I wonder what happens to all the SODO land...it certainly won't be going to the port unless the city make him sell it.

Basketball and Hockey are two different animals when it comes to expansion.

The NHL doesn't have the insane bajillion dollar TV contracts divided equally between all the owners, so the expansion money is FAR more important to hockey owners than it is to the NBA owners who aren't down with expansion, which means having to share the lucrative TV with one or two more owners.

So yes, I believe that Bonderman is serious when he says he wants to own an NBA team (he's already a minority owner in the Celtics), but if I had to guess, it'd be a relocated team and not expansion.

But the good news is he's already part of the club (unlike Hansen), so he'd be #1 on the list for relocation and new ownership once Key Arena is done if there's a floundering franchise.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:07 am
  • website down already?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:23 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:website down already?

It's back up

https://www.nhlseattle.com/
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:website down already?

It's back up

Apparently its really slow and they are telling people to use the ticketmaster app. Good sign that there's at least demand.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

It's back up

Apparently its really slow and they are telling people to use the ticketmaster app. Good sign that there's at least demand.

I swear they do this on purpose, so that when the nightly news and national sports media talks about it they can say "OMG SO MANY PEOPLE WERE TRYING TO GET TICKETS THE SITE CRASHED!!!"

It's good PR.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

It's back up

I swear they do this on purpose, so that when the nightly news and national sports media talks about it they can say "OMG SO MANY PEOPLE WERE TRYING TO GET TICKETS THE SITE CRASHED!!!"

It's good PR.

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 9618706432

If true...wow
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:07 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    It's back up

It's good PR.

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/stat ... 9618706432

If true...wow

DJrmb
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:21 am
  • Makes me proud, DROP THE PUCK!!

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:21 pm

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:07 am
  • This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one familiar with Seattle area politics, but a group of local property owners are looking to challenge the Key Arena renovation plan.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/no- ... enovation/
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:02 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one familiar with Seattle area politics, but a group of local property owners are looking to challenge the Key Arena renovation plan.

Won’t let me past the paywall.

Is it the AstroTurf group “Citizens with nothing better to do”? Led by Chris Van Dyke (aka Van Dick).
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:45 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one familiar with Seattle area politics, but a group of local property owners are looking to challenge the Key Arena renovation plan.

Won’t let me past the paywall.

Is it the AstroTurf group “Citizens with nothing better to do”? Led by Chris Van Dyke (aka Van Dick).

Here's the relevant quote from the article.

Seattle Times wrote:In a wide-ranging, 17-page letter, Seattle land-use lawyer Courtney Kaylor, representing the owners of the Expo and Astro apartment complexes, writes that a draft version of the EIS “is replete with incomplete and inconsistent statements’’ and should be “revised and republished and subject to additional public comment.’’

Kaylor argues that since KeyArena is city-owned, the EIS should treat it as a “public project” requiring the examination of alternative arena sites under state law. The failure to do that alternative-site study, she adds, means the process “is therefore inadequate on its face.’’
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 pm
  • It would seem to me that this group has no basis, this has been discussed 10 years or more very publicly and concerning multiple plans and sites, if they had a legitimate axe to grind it should have been presented then, this appearing to be a group wanting to use a stall tactic to possibly discourage the NHL or NBA from coming here.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information