EPL 2012-2013

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I know your GOTY question is probably aimed at EPL goals but I did find this unusual one from the Belgian league.

[youtube]fsD20PjqsCA[/youtube]

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Liverpool supporters in this thread, how do you feel about Brad Jones's performance in Reina's absence? I say he's performed admirably and that Reina may be shopped in the window, agree? Pepe can't be out this long with just a minor hamstring knock.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
InSuarezWeTrust":5t20r4e4 said:
Liverpool supporters in this thread, how do you feel about Brad Jones's performance in Reina's absence? I say he's performed admirably and that Reina may be shopped in the window, agree? Pepe can't be out this long with just a minor hamstring knock.

It's not performance related, but Jones is a bit to, well, how to put it gently, Australian.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Gatehawk":2hadic84 said:
I have heard Reine could definitely be on his way out in January.

The juxtaposition of 'could' and 'definitely' pretty much sums up online transfer rumours. Reina's best days look to be behind him, sadly.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2i1vh018 said:
Hawkspur":2i1vh018 said:
Gatehawk":2i1vh018 said:
I have heard Reine could definitely be on his way out in January.

The juxtaposition of 'could' and 'definitely' pretty much sums up online transfer rumours. Reina's best days look to be behind him, sadly.

He'd still be a quality keeper on the continent.

It'll be wherever Rafa Benitez pops up next. There you go: I could get a job on the Daily Mail's sports desk with insight like that.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I see Reina leaving soon, whether it be January or the Summer. However, Jones is only between the posts until more quality can be found. More names will pass through before January is upon us.

Lots of interesting discussions of late on Liverpool and their new manager (and his system). Yesterdays change from a suddenly favored 3-5-2 (from his earlier 4-3-3) to a 4-4-1-1 shows a manager learning.

12 points from 11 games (with 6 of those being City, United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Newcastle, Everton) is not ideal, but under the pressure and pretense of playing the top half its hard not to find positive change.

Interesting article: http://microlfc.wordpress.com/2012/...gers-the-right-man-to-take-liverpool-forward/

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
I have seen Reina actually linked with Arsenal, but I highly doubt they'd sign him.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
Can Spurs please postpone all of their games until after January? Or at least until Dembele and Assou-ekotto are fit again? I admit to switching off after Arsenal's 2nd, but would hazard a guess that Arsenal exploited Huddlestone's severe lack of pace in midfield and hesitancy of our full backs.

As soon as Adebayor was sent off, that game was cooked. Bad tackle, and not too many arguments with the card, although I thought a yellow would have been more appropriate. Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of dozen worse tackles that didn't get reds, but nevermind; with Huddlestone up against Corzola, Arteta et al I was never confident of getting more than a point.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":o1enyd2w said:
Alright, Spurs. Back in your box.

Yeah, man. If they don't buy someone like Moutinho, Tom Ince etc in January they may as well hammer a nail or two in that box, put it next to Liverpool's and we can fight it put for the final UEFA Cup place every year.

InSuarezWeTrust

Reaction score
Quality effort from the Reds today. Hopefully if we can stay within striking distance then do some Christmas shopping we can put the heat on the top 5-6 teams or at least make their own respective campaigns more difficult.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1rpse8hr said:
In rooting for QPR this year I'm learning what it must be like to be a Browns fan.

Iain Dowie and Phil Brown will no doubt be hanging around outside Loftus Road, resumes in hand, awaiting Mr Fernandes' arrival on Monday morning.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur, I'd like to give a high 5-2 you. :0190l:

In all honesty, claiming that the red card was why Spurs lost is not a legit excuse, I know I wouldn't admit it if it was Arsenal but still. Spurs had a striker sent off when up 1-0 and after that they played as if they had a defender sent off, hell half the time Spurs looked like they were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. It was awesome to see all the Arsenal new boys to score in their first NLD and for Mertesacker to finally get his first Gunners goal. The win was definitely satisfying and hopefully this will result in a massive turnaround.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I'm guessing it's true that Spurs played like they had a defender sent off rather than a striker. If you re-read my post you'll notice that I thought we would lose beforehand based on Huddlestone being too slow to cope with your midfield. The red card certainly didn't help; Lennon was very close to making it 2-0 seconds before Adebayor got himself sent off. My main gripe with the red card is that it was given (legitimately, admittedly) when many other refs (including Howard Webb on most other days) wouldn't have. Although I would have been slightly surprised if we'd held on to win, the red card definitely changed to momentum.

A great result for Arsenal (yuck), but I'm guessing that Spurs won't have been as bad in this 5-2 loss as they were in last year's.

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Hawkspur":jmymrhfe said:
My main gripe with the red card is that it was given (legitimately, admittedly) when many other refs (including Howard Webb on most other days) wouldn't have. Although I would have been slightly surprised if we'd held on to win, the red card definitely changed to momentum.

You and I have different opinions on the red card. While I'm sure we'll both agree that it was a bookable challenge, I feel that it warranted a red card. I think the reasoning behind the red card was that Adebayore's challenge was totally reckless and could have severely injured Cazorla. First off he dove in, second was a foot above the ground when he made contact and finally he was never gonna get the ball(if he had touched the ball he would have probably saved himself from a red card and got just a yellow).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'll chime in... Howard Webb loves to leave an impact on Derby games (or just any massive rivalry). Adebayor deserved yellow. Being reckless is what a yellow card is for. Making contact (or in this case full contact) is what reds are for. Either way. It was close enough either would have been warranted. But with Webb you knew it would be red.

Arsenal looked the better side but still leaky, even with a man up. At 4-1 they let off and gave one up, then if not for Bales selfishness were ready to give up another soon after. That group needs to organize, and I mean from the front back. But its a derby victory and they should just settle for 3 points.

Suarez is the best striker in the EPL... I dare someone to argue who is doing more with less. Simply superb. And liverpool have gone 7 straight undefeated. A nice run for the young team with the new manager (and yes its just Wigan, but it was just Stoke not too long ago)

Poor effort by United, and Chelsea is showing cracks. They not only look mortal but severly flawed, especially defensively.

More to be setttled by Boxing Day. Looking forward to see what groups step forward and which fall back in the next 4 weeks.

And before I forget... suck it Bitters!

OP
OP
Gatehawk

Gatehawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20ic0s0l said:
I'll chime in... Howard Webb loves to leave an impact on Derby games (or just any massive rivalry). Adebayor deserved yellow. Being reckless is what a yellow card is for. Making contact (or in this case full contact) is what reds are for. Either way. It was close enough either would have been warranted. But with Webb you knew it would be red.

Arsenal looked the better side but still leaky, even with a man up. At 4-1 they let off and gave one up, then if not for Bales selfishness were ready to give up another soon after. That group needs to organize, and I mean from the front back. But its a derby victory and they should just settle for 3 points.

I'm just hoping that when Gibbs returns all struggles will cease.

Suarez is the best striker in the EPL... I dare someone to argue who is doing more with less. Simply superb. And liverpool have gone 7 straight undefeated. A nice run for the young team with the new manager (and yes its just Wigan, but it was just Stoke not too long ago)

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were saying Liverpool is shit and Suarez is saving their ass every week.

Poor effort by United, and Chelsea is showing cracks. They not only look mortal but severly flawed, especially defensively.

It's kinda obvious United's defensive ineptitude is worse than Arsenal, their offense is what's distracting people from it. As for Chelsea, they've joined Liverpool on the list of teams West Brom have upset at home this season. Nice try by Cech to attempt to save a point at the end though.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Gate, you should start every one of your posts with "if I didnt know better"...