49ers vs jets

rlkats

Reaction score
Bad injuries today. Hopefully not as bad as my head is thinking. Not exactly a good gauge on how the niners backups can play, since we are playing a crap jets team

Msfann

Reaction score
The announcers said a few minutes ago "A picture is worth a thousand words" and as he said that they show Frank Gore sitting on the bench and he starts picking his nose. The announcer realising what happened said "Maybe not that picture".

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1307781914611253248[/tweet]

and

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/1307777372641353728[/tweet]

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Oh wow...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisBiderman/status/1307789244509814784[/tweet]

I hate injuries, esp ACLs. Even if it does hand us an advantage in W8 and 17, still hate 'em.

Elemas

Reaction score
Sites are saying the 49ers fear Bosa has a torn ACL.

I don't wish injury on anyone but as a Seahawks fan, I'm not losing sleep. As an Ohio State fan (we live in Dayton), I feel bad for the kid.

I do hope he recovers well. He's an amazing player.

Had a feeling that AZ was our main division comp anyways.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Elemas":9ymxl2nr said:

I don't wish injury on anyone but as a Seahawks fan, I'm not losing sleep. As an Ohio State fan (we live in Dayton), I feel bad for the kid.

Shan's blaming condition of the turf...

Boohman14

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2sinqkyx said:
Elemas":2sinqkyx said:

That's probably valid.

I hate injuries. It's not as fun beating teams when their stars are out. Plus they work so hard to get to that level. It's sad. But it creates opportunity for a star to emerge.. Remember Kurt Warner

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2jrzigwo said:
Elemas":2jrzigwo said:

It’s not just Shanahan.

I’ve seen tweets postgame from Trent Williams, DJ Jones, and most pointedly Arik Armstread. Appears the field is brand new and described as “spongy” and “sticky”. Wasn’t just the 49ers either. Jets lost several players.

The worst part? 49ers play the Giants on the exact same field next week.

Niners are likely done this year. They may be down as many as 7 starters including their two best players, one likely for the year.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I was gonna say Marv, if the other team also had issues it's very likely there's an issue there.

I looked up the Hawks schedule and we meet Jets 12/13 at C-link. it's my team but hey how is that exactly a fair advantage? Certainly variables matter in ground conditions more to the physical health of players than whether some small number of fans are allowed to come in and yell through their facemasks. Just because Goddell acknowleges that there is poss of competitive advantage even here does not mean he gets to indemnify the general principle of competitive advantage, one of which is that NFL players need to play on safety-equivalent fields adjusted for weather.

Your guys performed admirably--yes the Jets suck but you are talking about your 2s and 3s against established vets. High ankles take typically 4-6 weeks right, and your schedule is actually something that Mullens should be able to be competitive in if it comes to that.

Beyond the turf of course is the fact that no one has played a preseason and everyone has had abbreviated camp so therefore you'd expect more injuries leaguewide...and no one can say really what the extent or prevalance of that is prior to maybe week 4.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":30t5niub said:
I was gonna say Marv, if the other team also had issues it's very likely there's an issue there.

I looked up the Hawks schedule and we meet 12/13 at C-link. it's my team but hey how is that exactly a fair advantage? Certainly it matters more to the physical health of players than whether some fans are allowed to come in and yell through their facemasks.

Your guys performed admirably--yes the Jets suck but you are talking about your 2s and 3s against established vets. High ankles take typically 4-6 weeks right, and your schedule is actually something that Mullens should be able to be competitive in if it comes to that.

Beyond the turf of course is the fact that no one has played a preseason and everyone has had abbreviated camp so therefore you'd expect more injuries leaguewide...and no one can say really what the extent or prevalance of that is prior to maybe week 4.

Niners will be competitive, but division is too damn hard to be down that many quality players and compete for the division. Players have already expressed anxiety about playing on that turf again next week. I don’t know what’s gonna happen there. I can’t say for sure if the turf caused the injuries, but pretty clear that they guys who actually played on it think it did. That’s enough for me. Who would know better than them? In the end tho, it doesn’t matter. The guys are hurt now. Complaining won’t undo it.

I dunno about home field right now. I’m not really concentrating on that. I’m just seeing my team become a MASH Unit.

Edit: Oh, sorry...I forgot Solomon Thomas and Weston Richburg are listed as starters. Make that NINE starters out.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I understand and there needs to be a conversation about how all these players from both sides got injured here when it's frankly abnormal--you expect a couple guys at best. Not exactly all these guys.

At the same time, word is that you got one crucial piece that is down for the season and that is Bosa. Very important but even in '19 he didn't carry the whole game for you, the other pieces that participated are all expected to return. Giants and Eagles should be dispatchable even without their return, during or after you are expected other weapons back like Kittle and maybe Sherm in W4.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2k4r3ew9 said:
I understand and there needs to be a conversation about how all these players from both sides got injured here when it's frankly abnormal--you expect a couple guys at best. Not exactly all these guys.

At the same time, word is that you got one crucial piece that is down for the season and that is Bosa. Very important but even in '19 he didn't carry the whole game for you, the other pieces that participated are all expected to return. Giants and Eagles should be dispatchable even without their return, during or after you are expected other weapons back like Kittle and maybe Sherm in W4.

To be clear the field condition pisses me off, but I’m not putting it all on that. There is no way to know that.

What has me annoyed is the volume of injuries from top to bottom.

Bosa likely done for season. Ford has a neck issue and we have no idea there. Solomon Thomas likely done for the season. Jimmy has high ankle sprain and likely out 4-6 weeks. IMO, given their opinion of the conditions, my guess is there is no way they let Kittle play next week. We dunno about Mostert yet.

...all of this and they need to play on that same field again.

I hear ya about just getting through this stretch, but hard to think that way when guys are dropping like flies. It’s like “hey, you get all these guys back and you guys are good” when every successive game just delivers another gut punch.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3pefb7k6 said:
To be clear the field condition pisses me off, but I’m not putting it all on that. There is no way to know that.

What has me annoyed is the volume of injuries from top to bottom.

Bosa likely done for season. Ford has a neck issue and we have no idea there. Solomon Thomas likely done for the season. Jimmy has high ankle sprain and likely out 4-6 weeks. IMO, given their opinion of the conditions, my guess is there is no way they let Kittle play next week. We dunno about Mostert yet.

...all of this and they need to play on that same field again.

I hear ya about just getting through this stretch, but hard to think that way when guys are dropping like flies. It’s like “hey, you get all these guys back and you guys are good” when every successive game just delivers another gut punch.

You guys got rocked HARD here and it's not fair to say it's just injuries that could happen to anyone else on this day alone. Even when we lost functionally the LOB in AZ it wasn't THAT many guys in just one game outside weather...hell when you went through it with Washington Football Team i recall no guys being injured. Y'all went into it with the reasonable expectation that you'd be playing reasonably in reasonable weather and there are injuries to both. If I were Shan I'd def be raising the challenge flag in conversations here.

Mostert on news was said to have a mild MCL and be back in 3 weeks.

chris98251

Reaction score
We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":xxd3a4cg said:
We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.
Pittsburgh’s field is one of the worst too.

The NFL should be all over this.
Injuries suck, even when they happen to a rival.

I want my team to beat the other team with both teams best players playing.

The NFL needs to get on top of that Turf issue before next week’s game.
As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3v9m6oun said:
chris98251":3v9m6oun said:

As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.

I know when they laid our field they did a faux break in of it to simulate a bit of weathering to get rid of the new sticky and feeling, in fact I remember the pellety issue where it was too bouncy and they removed some.

JoeBart324

Reaction score
chris98251":2ueh15im said:
Sports Hernia":2ueh15im said:
chris98251":2ueh15im said:

I know when they laid our field they did a faux break in of it to simulate a bit of weathering to get rid of the new sticky and feeling, in fact I remember the pellety issue where it was too bouncy and they removed some.

I don't post here too often, so Niners fan for full disclosure.

The field may have contributed to injury, but I'm pretty sure at least two injuries shouldn't be attributed to turf.

Bosa got his leg caught under him in a freak pancake block. Not sure a better surface would have prevented his leg from bending the way it did. I know a lot of Niner fans are screaming "I told you he is injury prone" but this seems one of those injuries that you shake your head at and hope the guy has a wonderful rehab. No amount of strength and flexibility would have prevented this injury. It is one of the worst parts of playing football.

Garoppolo's injury too I think would not have been prevented by a better surface. A Jet play dove directly into his ankle attempting a sack and it looked extremely bad at first. Likely should have been a penalty if called correctly, but honestly does 15 yards prevent the damage? Nope, just another crappy set of circumstances that is the reality of playing in the NFL. *Sarcasm hat on* Gregg Williams was coordinating the Jets defense, is this that surprising?

I have no idea what happened to Mostert, so that one could have been turf related. But without being able to see the injury I think it could be a stretch to say it was the turf.

Solomon Thomas is the only injury that I think could have been related to field conditions. The play looked relatively benign and it seemed is leg just stuck in place as the rest of his body went directions his leg didn't want it to go. Again though, we have seen so many players have non-contact injuries on otherwise great field conditions.

If I am being completely honest, I don't think field conditions really contributed all that much to the injuries. Rather, I think an abbreviated off-season program coupled with no preseason games will contribute to many more injuries this year. Football at this level is a brutal game. Training camp, OTAs and preseason give more to player conditioning than fans or players want to admit. Sure, players can train on their own. But to truly get the best conditioning most folks likely need to be pushed by someone else, which is what a coaching staff will do. I think we'll see a few more injuries over the next couple weeks to high profile players as players get into game shape. Think of the first four weeks as our preseason and players are still getting acclimated to playing at the pace they need to.

Marvin49

Reaction score
JoeBart324":164iadk1 said:
chris98251":164iadk1 said:
Sports Hernia":164iadk1 said:
chris98251":164iadk1 said:

I don't post here too often, so Niners fan for full disclosure.

The field may have contributed to injury, but I'm pretty sure at least two injuries shouldn't be attributed to turf.

Bosa got his leg caught under him in a freak pancake block. Not sure a better surface would have prevented his leg from bending the way it did. I know a lot of Niner fans are screaming "I told you he is injury prone" but this seems one of those injuries that you shake your head at and hope the guy has a wonderful rehab. No amount of strength and flexibility would have prevented this injury. It is one of the worst parts of playing football.

Garoppolo's injury too I think would not have been prevented by a better surface. A Jet play dove directly into his ankle attempting a sack and it looked extremely bad at first. Likely should have been a penalty if called correctly, but honestly does 15 yards prevent the damage? Nope, just another crappy set of circumstances that is the reality of playing in the NFL. *Sarcasm hat on* Gregg Williams was coordinating the Jets defense, is this that surprising?

I have no idea what happened to Mostert, so that one could have been turf related. But without being able to see the injury I think it could be a stretch to say it was the turf.

Solomon Thomas is the only injury that I think could have been related to field conditions. The play looked relatively benign and it seemed is leg just stuck in place as the rest of his body went directions his leg didn't want it to go. Again though, we have seen so many players have non-contact injuries on otherwise great field conditions.

If I am being completely honest, I don't think field conditions really contributed all that much to the injuries. Rather, I think an abbreviated off-season program coupled with no preseason games will contribute to many more injuries this year. Football at this level is a brutal game. Training camp, OTAs and preseason give more to player conditioning than fans or players want to admit. Sure, players can train on their own. But to truly get the best conditioning most folks likely need to be pushed by someone else, which is what a coaching staff will do. I think we'll see a few more injuries over the next couple weeks to high profile players as players get into game shape. Think of the first four weeks as our preseason and players are still getting acclimated to playing at the pace they need to.

I'd disagree that the turf is off the hook for both the Bosa and Jimmy G injuries as we don't know what would have happened if the turf gave even a little bit, but in the end it doesn't matter. Its all speculation on our part. The PLAYERS are convinced it had something to do with it and those were the guys who were on the surface. We can sit from our sofas and try to make sense of it but it really doesn't matter. The players think it was an issue and even if they are right and it was a horrific surface, it doesn't put Bosa, Thomas, Coleman, Mostert or Garoppolo back on the field.

Just sucks bad.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Mullens played great in a game vs us (Hawks) a couple years ago, and got the W. Is the dropoff from JimmyG to Mullens really that big? Mullens knows Shanahan's offense very well, and seems to make good decisions. Did any Niner fan, in a few moments of frustration, ever make up a table of pros and cons of Jimmy G relative to Mullens? There was this clairvoyant article below from SI, but it didn't really contrast the strengths and weaknesses of each. My one data point is that Mullens looked like a legit NFL starting QB that game vs the Hawks.
https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/the-i ... rs-in-2020