Sports Hernia

Reaction score
253hawk":ov0wgplb said:
EioHbMTUYAA3M1k
Harsh.

Marvin49

Reaction score
This one is only a few years old but High School sports:

https://www.uhhospitals.org/for-cli.../2019/08/artificial-turf-versus-natural-grass

Researchers identified a total of 953 injuries during the 2017-2018 athletic seasons, with 585 of them occurring on synthetic turf and 368 on natural grass. Researchers then performed subgroup analysis to determine injuries that took place on artificial turf versus natural grass based on injury location (lower extremity, upper extremity, torso), sport, level of competitive play (freshman, junior varsity, varsity), and practice versus competition injuries.

Breaking it down, injuries in upper and lower extremities and torso occurred more frequently on artificial turf than on natural grass. When analyzing by sport, researchers found that football, men's lacrosse, rugby, and girls and boys soccer had higher rates of injury than other sports. Although no statistically significant difference was found in level of play, there was a higher level of competition injury compared with injuries sustained in practice.

From 2019:

https://globalsportmatters.com/heal...ty-of-athletes-which-playing-surface-is-best/

Some of the findings from the 2019 study — as interpreted by Turfgrass Producers International:

1,280 NFL games (213,935 distinct plays) were played during the 2012-16 seasons.
4,801 lower body injuries occurred during the study sample, affecting 2,032 NFL players.
Synthetic turf resulted in a 27% increase in non-contact lower body injuries.
Athletes had a 56% higher rate (knee/ankle/foot) of sustaining an injury on synthetic turf that resulted in time lost, and a 67% higher injury rate resulting in more than 8 days time lost from injury.
Athletes had a 68% higher rate of sustaining an ankle injury rate on synthetic turf that resulted in any time lost from injury and a 103% increase in injury rates on synthetic turf resulting in more than 8 days time lost from injury.
Applying the incidence rate ratios of injuries in this study, if every NFL game were played on natural grass during these five seasons, there would have been 319 fewer lower body injuries.

This is widely recognized among professional athletes and is documented in NFL player surveys:

82.4% of NFL players think that artificial turf contributes more to injury
89.1% of NFL players think that artificial turf causes more soreness and fatigue
89.7% of NFL players think that artificial turf is more likely to shorten their career

All Injuries:

Untitled 1 2

Specifically, lower body injuries:

Untitled 2

Look, I ain't gonna lie. I hate the stuff in a big way. It just doesn't give in the same way grass does. Newer artificial are certainly a million times better than original Astroturf which was as another poster said, carpet on concrete.

The issue now though isn't the hardness of the surface, its tackiness. Its lower limbs getting stuck when grass might give.

Grass isn't perfect to be sure, especially when not properly maintained...or in the case of Washington, dirt painted green. Grass is less expensive to install, but much more expensive to maintain and has to be replaced far more often. Its also difficult to run a multi-purpose facility with grass.

I get that. However, for football? IMO, there is NOTHING better than grass.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good stuff Marvin.

I have a fair few opinions on the matter as a coach. But not the thread for it.

Can say that lower body injuries have been on the rise in sports overall due to the increasing size of the athletes.

There has been a significant change in how we fitness young soccer players, for example.

That said, no professional team in any of the 5 biggest soccer leagues in europe use turf.

Oddly, many do train on it though, especially in the lower ranks.

Maulbert

Reaction score
The turf at MetLife has been verified as meeting all standards and protocols for NFL playing surfaces.

An additional review of the playing surface at MetLife Stadium was held on Wednesday, and it was again verified that the field meets all applicable standards and protocols for NFL field surfaces, a league source tells ESPN's Jordan Raanan.

Representatives from the NFL, NFLPA, MetLife Stadium, the Giants and Jets, FieldTurf and the independent field inspector conducted the review, the source told Raanan.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...review-san-francisco-49ers-gripes-source-says

Washington49er

Reaction score
Maulbert":2vnx66tu said:
The turf at MetLife has been verified as meeting all standards and protocols for NFL playing surfaces.

An additional review of the playing surface at MetLife Stadium was held on Wednesday, and it was again verified that the field meets all applicable standards and protocols for NFL field surfaces, a league source tells ESPN's Jordan Raanan.

Representatives from the NFL, NFLPA, MetLife Stadium, the Giants and Jets, FieldTurf and the independent field inspector conducted the review, the source told Raanan.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...review-san-francisco-49ers-gripes-source-says

Pretty sure it wasn't just the 9ers having issues with the field. Didn't expect much from the NFL, Washington's field hasn't changed and we all know how bad it is.

Just hope 9ers get out of there without any new injuries on Sunday.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":24x0625g said:

I honestly have no idea if anything was different about that turf than any other artificial surface anywhere else in the NFL. I can't with any level of assurance say the field caused the injuries.

All I can say is that the player who were on the field thought the issue was the surface.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Pretty much.

All i can say here is that y'all have to play that field again in a couple days...vaya con Dios and all...

chris98251

Reaction score
Put this on perspective, they said the same thing about FED Ex field, and then again at Soldier Field, before someone else got hurt and they re sodded them.

253hawk

Reaction score
FedEx was garbage. Literally painted dirt.

(Michael Robinson's pregame field check)
322WT5ZWMYY3RISHRSKL576WQU

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Uh oh.

"George Kittle ruled out--Florio. Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle), running back Raheem Mostert (hamstring), defensive end Dee Ford (back), running back Tevin Coleman (knee), and linebacker Dre Greenlaw (quad) have also been ruled out. The 49ers also have cornerback Richard Sherman, defensive end Nick Bosa, defensive tackle Solomon Thomas and wide receiver Deebo Samuel on injured reserve."

All but four of those starters got hurt in that one Jets game. The Giants are meh but this is almost a forced forfeit. Since when do that many starters get hurt on any team?

Maybe it's turf and maybe we're wishful thinking that it is, because if it's more a conditioning/small camp/no preseason issue then we can all expect to see more of Homer and whoever and maybe Geno for Russ.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3auaecxa said:
Uh oh.

"George Kittle ruled out--Florio. Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo (ankle), running back Raheem Mostert (hamstring), defensive end Dee Ford (back), running back Tevin Coleman (knee), and linebacker Dre Greenlaw (quad) have also been ruled out. The 49ers also have cornerback Richard Sherman, defensive end Nick Bosa, defensive tackle Solomon Thomas and wide receiver Deebo Samuel on injured reserve."

All but four of those starters got hurt in that one Jets game. The Giants are meh but this is almost a forced forfeit. Since when do that many starters get hurt on any team?

Maybe it's turf and maybe we're wishful thinking that it is, because if it's more a conditioning/small camp/no preseason issue then we can all expect to see more of Homer and whoever and maybe Geno for Russ.

To be honest, I was a little surprised they even considered playing Kittle on that surface. Not playing him is kinda a no brainer.

As for the game itself, it is VERY possible they lose to the lowly Giants. Down their starters at QB, RB, WR, TE, C, DE, DT, OLB, and CB. They are down their first backup at RB (Coleman), and CB (POSSIBLY Witherspoon, but Varrett may play). At DE they are down BOTH Bosa and Ford.

...so yeah, I am in NO way assuming the Niners are going to breeze in there and win. In fact, if the Giants don't win that game...they gotta be having some serious doubts about both franchises in NY.

I do kinda have a bit of a theory and I'm be curious if anyone who has been on the stuff can tell me if I'm way off base. In week 1 the Giants and Steelers played on the surface at night. In any regular season, they'd have played at least 2 preseason games on the stuff at night.

What I'm curious about is if heat on a 1:00 PM Eastern Time kickoff would have an effect on the tackiness of a brand new field, IE possibly molding residue or the like on the new synthetic blades getting heated up, etc.

I have ZERO clue if that's the case, but the difference in temperature at start time for those games made me wonder.

Marvin49

Reaction score
From the Athletic today (might be behind pay wall, so I'll include portions)...

https://theathletic.com/2093302/202...-turf-versus-grass/?source=emp_shared_article

There really isn’t much debate, though, at least in the medical literature, about whether or not artificial surfaces carry more risk of injury. They definitively do.

Multiple research studies, several of which were conducted by NFL team physicians, have found an increased risk of lower-body injury when playing on turf. And the numbers are overwhelming. One of those, a 2012 study led by Elliott Hershman, team physician for the New York Jets, found a 67 percent greater risk of ACL injury and 38 percent greater risk of ankle sprains on third-generation artificial surfaces, like the turf installed at MetLife Field.

More recent studies have found similar results. A review of injury information from the 2012 to 2018 NFL seasons, again by a group of NFL physicians, determined that the risk of knee, ankle and foot injuries was nearly 50 percent higher on an artificial playing surface. The findings indicate that the closer the joint is to the artificial surface, the greater the risk of injury; the ankle and knee are especially vulnerable.

Let’s be clear, these aren’t snap judgments based on one bad day; they are extensive summaries of multiple seasons of NFL data.

There is also little question, from scientific researchers or the NFL, on what injury mechanism makes lower-body injuries more likely on turf. The difference primarily comes down to how a cleated shoe interacts with the playing surface.

“It wouldn’t be an oversimplification to focus the difference in injury risk on artificial turf down to the interaction between the cleats and the field,” said Sean Sansiveri, who oversees health, medical and safety initiatives as NFLPA’s vice president of business and legal affairs.

The ability of a football player to accelerate, decelerate and cut is dependent on traction that acts in a straight line, whether that be forward and back or straight side to side. That type of traction, termed translational traction, is most important for a player’s performance, since less slip allows for sharper cuts and more rapid acceleration/deceleration. A player needs the shoe to stick to the surface and not slip to quickly move on any field.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Dumb question but is there a standard for cleats? IE how deep they go, their "clenching" ability and so forth?

I remember there was some talk of using different cleats at the infamous FedEx game and if that's true why wouldn't a manufacturer just come out with artificial turf vs. grass ones?

Threedee

Reaction score
Looks like the Browns do not regret taking Mayfield over Darnold. Whatever you may think of Mayfield. I had bought into the hype that Sam was more "pro ready" than Baker, but, alas, those USC quarterbacks...