49ers vs jets

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marv,

Your points are well taken, and if this is just a function of teams not being conditioned due to abbrevated camp and no preseason you'd expect this all over the league.

If turf is/was an incidental factor and the camp factor doesn't equalize, then it's a matter of team conditioning or the individual health of individual players.

Regarding oly's post, Mullens was competitive and he did in fact beat us--with none of the present onstars except maybe kittle to do it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
olyfan63":2bqcppi9 said:
Mullens played great in a game vs us (Hawks) a couple years ago, and got the W. Is the dropoff from JimmyG to Mullens really that big? Mullens knows Shanahan's offense very well, and seems to make good decisions. Did any Niner fan, in a few moments of frustration, ever make up a table of pros and cons of Jimmy G relative to Mullens? There was this clairvoyant article below from SI, but it didn't really contrast the strengths and weaknesses of each. My one data point is that Mullens looked like a legit NFL starting QB that game vs the Hawks.
https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/the-i ... rs-in-2020

So....I've seen people say this all the time.

YES, the dropoff is significant. Seahawks fans always think this because Mullens played well against THEM. At the same time, Dante Pettis had his best game ever against the Seahawks, but at this point he's a total bust.

Mullens is a good backup system QB and is good in Kyles system. He can hold it down for a few games if needed.

The issue with this comparison isn't that people overestimate Mullens. Its that they underestimate Jimmy. That's OK tho. It is what it is.

Yes, it was just the Jets, but Jimmy had one of his best halfs of his NFL career yesterday (14-16, 131 yards, 2 TDs, no INTs, and a QB rating of 140) and he did it on one leg while he was getting hit over and over and over, primarily from middle pass rushers right in his face. Almost all of his numbers came AFTER he got hurt.

Stats don't say everything...but here are some for you...

Jimmy last year:

69.1 comp %, 3978 yards, 8.4 YPA, 27 TDs, 13 INTs, 102.0 Rating (and everyone says "is Jimmy holding them back?)

Mullens as a starter (8 games):

64.2 comp %, 2277 yards, 8.3 YPA, 13 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.8 Rating (and some say "He should be the starter!")

So as I said, this isn't an indictment of Mullens. I like him as the backup FAR better than Beathard...but Jimmy is better.

Also, as bad as people have said Jimmy has played this year...

67.3 comp %, 390 yards, 8.0 YPA, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 118.6 rating

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":25yoxny3 said:
chris98251":25yoxny3 said:
We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.
Pittsburgh’s field is one of the worst too.

The NFL should be all over this.
Injuries suck, even when they happen to a rival.

I want my team to beat the other team with both teams best players playing.

The NFL needs to get on top of that Turf issue before next week’s game.
As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.

I really think the league needs to make the field conditions more consistent, like protective equipment. I really like the Clink turf, all should be the same.

One week you're on natural next you're on artificial that has to be tough getting use to.

Natural seems to be the widow maker.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I mean...you can't make this stuff up. Really starting to believe in the whole Super Bowl loser curse. LOL.

1) Plane to Easy Coast was in "fender bender" before trip which delayed flight 90 minutes.

2) Dee Fords "neck" injury has developed into a "back" injury. No word on when or if he returns this year.

3) Shanahan thought the Jets should have been flagged twice on the play where Jimmy was hurt. One for low hit and another for late hit. The reason the late hit didn't get called? The ref had his mask on and couldn't get to his whistle fast enough to blow the whistle. Not joking.

4) ...and this one...lol...The 49ers don't have a result on the MRIs for Bosa, Thomas, or Coleman yet because, get this, the truck that houses the MRI broke down. Seriously. The 49ers stayed on the East Coast because they have back to back NY games so can't use regular resources. Unreal.

I guess at this point its better to laugh than cry. :) Looks lke Jimmy G actually has a chance to play this week, but my guess is they won't put him on that turf again.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":39sxl8pk said:
I mean...you can't make this stuff up. Really starting to believe in the whole Super Bowl loser curse. LOL.

1) Plane to Easy Coast was in "fender bender" before trip which delayed flight 90 minutes.

2) Dee Fords "neck" injury has developed into a "back" injury. No word on when or if he returns this year.

3) Shanahan thought the Jets should have been flagged twice on the play where Jimmy was hurt. One for low hit and another for late hit. The reason the late hit didn't get called? The ref had his mask on and couldn't get to his whistle fast enough to blow the whistle. Not joking.

4) ...and this one...lol...The 49ers don't have a result on the MRIs for Bosa, Thomas, or Coleman yet because, get this, the truck that houses the MRI broke down. Seriously. The 49ers stayed on the East Coast because they have back to back NY games so can't use regular resources. Unreal.

I guess at this point its better to laugh than cry. :) Looks lke Jimmy G actually has a chance to play this week, but my guess is they won't put him on that turf again.

Fully suss on so many angles especially as you go down this list.

They're not even considering playing Bosa or Solly right? if there's no mri machine then send 'em home to Santa Clara where they can get an MRI at Stanford.

Geez, it's not that hard.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":4oqawqrg said:
Marvin49":4oqawqrg said:

Fully suss on so many angles especially as you go down this list.

They're not even considering playing Bosa or Solly right? if there's no mri machine then send 'em home to Santa Clara where they can get an MRI at Stanford.

Geez, it's not that hard.

I'm sure they'll end up at Stanford, but I have no idea what protocols are in place for such an event. I don't think it escaped their attention that they can send them back.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Confirmed. Big sigh.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1308183124082270208[/tweet]

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":893kzlcg said:

Heard that on John Claytons local radio show this morning. Have you seen any black cats and ladders around the niners?
Definitely some weird crap going on with your team.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":wdeqcmbx said:
Marvin49":wdeqcmbx said:

Heard that on John Claytons local radio show this morning. Have you seen any black cats and ladders around the niners?
Definitely some weird crap going on with your team.

Been a weird karma around the team for years kinda like the curse of the bambino, just can't figure out what it is. Could be ownership.

Marvin49

Reaction score
With all of these injuries, maybe the Niners can get Trent Williams to play both ways. LOL.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/OurSf49ers/status/1308174773420138496[/tweet]

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, the amount of injuries you guys got on Sunday was really brutal to see. I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone. Plus, you guys already had your share. At some point, it just gets in to that ridiculous category. And it is a legit excuse if the team starts losing.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":29de6024 said:
Yeah, the amount of injuries you guys got on Sunday was really brutal to see. I wouldn't wish injuries on anyone. Plus, you guys already had your share. At some point, it just gets in to that ridiculous category. And it is a legit excuse if the team starts losing.

It is what it is. At this point all I can do is let it play out, watch the rookies develop, and see who is worth keeping for next year.

The schedule is lighter at the front end so they might be able to limp along here for a bit before the schedule turns. If they do make a run at it this year, it'll be very different than last year. That monster pass rush is now gone. No Bosa, No Ford, No Buckner, No Thomas.

There will be alot more pressure on Jimmy now. At least we'll get to see what he's made of.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1ie4hd7f said:
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-rumors-49ers-criticism-metlife-stadium-turf-backed-nflpa

"The union source also told Robinson that the NFLPA plans to address the turf injury issues with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, as the statistics show that serious knee injuries occur at a 15 percent higher rate on artificial surfaces."
Stats might say that but the NFL has its share of shitty grass fields over the years.
Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago at times, Levi’s in the past.

RG3, Chris Clemons, our kicker and others all suffered knee injuries in a playoff game in Washington Wilson’s rookie year.

Not arguing with your numbers just that grass can be just as bad and sometimes worse if the field isn’t maintained properly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":15tu95rr said:
Marvin49":15tu95rr said:
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/nfl-rumors-49ers-criticism-metlife-stadium-turf-backed-nflpa

"The union source also told Robinson that the NFLPA plans to address the turf injury issues with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, as the statistics show that serious knee injuries occur at a 15 percent higher rate on artificial surfaces."
Stats might say that but the NFL has its share of $h!t grass fields over the years.
Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago at times, Levi’s in the past.

RG3, Chris Clemons, our kicker and others all suffered knee injuries in a playoff game in Washington Wilson’s rookie year.

Not arguing with your numbers just that grass can be just as bad and sometimes worse if the field isn’t maintained properly.

No question, ANY field if poorly maintained can be dangerous.

However, I believe and have ALWAYS believed that all things being equal, artificial turf is far more dangerous.

In 2010, the players were surveyed about their preferred surface, an 87% said they prefer grass.

The goal of all artificial turf is to be more like grass with less maintenance. Perhaps at some point they will make it just as safe, but they haven't gotten there yet.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
These aren't artificial turf surfaces though. Not like the old ones atleast.

They are field turf surfaces. These are far better than their predecessors. Artificial turf were carpets on concrete.

I think if the league is going to address this as an issue, it needs to look at 2017, 18, 19 as well. Were there this many injuries?

Alot of this feels like its fitness and training related. But I dont know the stats.

253hawk

Reaction score
EioHbMTUYAA3M1k

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1cp98b6v said:
These aren't artificial turf surfaces though. Not like the old ones atleast.

They are field turf surfaces. These are far better than their predecessors. Artificial turf were carpets on concrete.

I think if the league is going to address this as an issue, it needs to look at 2017, 18, 19 as well. Were there this many injuries?

Alot of this feels like its fitness and training related. But I dont know the stats.
Very true. Back in the caveman days our Highschool stadium got brand new artificial turf, which was better than the mud that masqueraded as grass. Their big claim, “hey our turf has twice the padding as the Kingdome turf does”, which didn’t help when your knee joints are barking at you the next day.

The turf they got now with the rubber pellets is much better cushioning wise than the old stuff.
It can still be improved though.