Cam Newton vs Geno Smith, who would you pick for a backup QB

andyh64000

Reaction score
John63":2ji8xyrs said:
cymatica":2ji8xyrs said:
Maulbert":2ji8xyrs said:
Bigpumpkin":2ji8xyrs said:
Can we get serious here?

Cam Newton missed a week of practice because he's unvaccinated. You want to deal with that every couple of weeks?

https://fansided.com/2021/08/31/cam-newton-released-patriots-vaccination-status/

Really? Because all I've heard about the vaccines is they only prevent serious illness and death. What about the thousands of positive tests for vaccinated people?

I think you need to get your facts straight and use your brain. People who are not vaccinated are being demonized even if they pose no risk and have antibodies, yet people like you feel compelled to fear monger and spread disinformation so you can feel like a covid hero. Sick of it

you answered your own question if the vaccines prevent serious illness and death, why would you want someone on your team that might get seriously ill or die. Therw is a difference between being vaccinated and testing positive but knowing you will not die or get seriously ill, and not being vaccinated and know you might die or get seriously ill. The reality is if he is not vaccinated he is a bigger threat to himself and to others period. It's not about fear it's about the facts.

As to being sick of it, I am sick of people dying, or getting so ill they have to go to the hospital because they did not take the vaccine and when someone who gets injured in a car wreck or something gets turned away because there is no room because they are filled with non vaccinated covid patience. Ove r90% of the people hospitalized with Covid are unvaccinated, 100% of the critically ill ones are unvaccinated.

It is also completely false that the vaccine does not help prevent infection.

keasley45

Reaction score
cymatica":2x02obhg said:
Maulbert":2x02obhg said:
Bigpumpkin":2x02obhg said:
SantaClaraHawk":2x02obhg said:
Cam Newton is unvaccinated. The prospect of him infecting the quarterback room was probably a factor in BB's mind.

Can we get serious here?

Cam Newton missed a week of practice because he's unvaccinated. You want to deal with that every couple of weeks?

https://fansided.com/2021/08/31/cam-newton-released-patriots-vaccination-status/

Really? Because all I've heard about the vaccines is they only prevent serious illness and death. What about the thousands of positive tests for vaccinated people?

I think you need to get your facts straight and use your brain. People who are not vaccinated are being demonized even if they pose no risk and have antibodies, yet people like you feel compelled to fear monger and spread disinformation so you can feel like a covid hero. Sick of it

Getting covid once does not prevent you from getting it again and having it worse the 2nd time. Plenty of folks who have been stricken twice and faired much much worse the 2nd time.

Not true for the vaccine. Yes. You can still get the virus but there's a high likelihood (almost 100%) the illness won't be serious or that you'll potentially have little or no symptoms at all. You can however still pass it with its full lethality to others whether you are vaccinated or not.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":pnm1yo05 said:
there is zero chance that Pete even lifted an eyebrow on Cam. Just stop
I agree. He's got the physical means to be a QB but his wiring is suspect.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3647vq3j said:
He's the biggest self-centered QB in the league. Even worse than Lord Rodgers. Difference is Rodgers is a phenomenal QB, Cam hasn't been good for a long while. Wouldn't want him on the Hawks for a 5 dollar contract.
And no, he is not a good guy. Not football wise. Next

Yes.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
keasley45":4pbgqgsg said:
cymatica":4pbgqgsg said:
Maulbert":4pbgqgsg said:
Bigpumpkin":4pbgqgsg said:
Can we get serious here?

Getting covid once does not prevent you from getting it again and having it worse the 2nd time. Plenty of folks who have been stricken twice and faired much much worse the 2nd time.

Not true for the vaccine. Yes. You can still get the virus but there's a high likelihood (almost 100%) the illness won't be serious or that you'll potentially have little or no symptoms at all. You can however still pass it with its full lethality to others whether you are vaccinated or not.

I mean… I thought this was a football forum discussion. ******* eh ladies/gentlemen

BlueThunder

Reaction score
As much as I dislike him, Cam would be an upgrade over Geno. I don't even think it's an argument, especially if he rediscovered the chops he used to have a few years ago. But damn... I really don't like him. Whiny bit ch. But I try not to let my personal feelings interfere with my desire to improve the team in any way possible. And he does do a lot of charitable work, which is good.

AgentDib

Reaction score
If you don't think the vaccination thing matters then consider the time Cam missed last year and then again this pre-season due to Covid and yet he still refuses to be vaccinated. Try to set your politics aside and consider this like you would an injury prone player. Their value is lower because you are less likely to get a full season from them, and in this case the "injury" can be transmitted to other players that will also cause them to miss time.

Also, teams could forfeit games this season if they have outbreaks and unvaccinated players are involved. Taking that risk for a backup QB would be a really, really, really dumb idea.

flv

Reaction score
cymatica":20ddam47 said:

Disgusting misinformed lies on your part.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Failing to get vaccinated absolutely was a major factor in the Pats releasing Newton. He missed 5 days of practice last week because of the protocol he had to go through when he left the team to take care of a personal matter and missed a test. The protocols for unvaccinated players are severe, and if Cam were to come down with Covid, even vaccinated players that were close contacts of his, ie quarterbacks, would have to take two tests spaced 24 hours apart before they could rejoin the team, and depending on the timing, that could be disastrous. And this is Belichick we're talking about. If he had the backbone to stand up to Tom Brady, he sure as hell isn't going to flinch if Newton isn't cooperating.

As far as who is the better backup, even if Covid wasn't an issue, it's clear that Geno is our man. We don't know what Newton would be like as a backup. He said last year that he wasn't going to sign with a team unless he was the starter. He's always been the star of the show and could cause huge problems for us if Russell struggles in a few games and Newton were to start making noise.

I don't think anyone will touch Newton unless he agrees to get fully vaccinated. Indeed, one of the most logical landing spots, WFT, which does not have a franchise-type QB and is coached by Newton's long time HC Ron Rivera, just squashed the speculation and said that they're not interested.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ro ... d=msedgntp

pmedic920

Reaction score
Obviously vax vs no vax could be part of the decision process BUT please keep the thread about the actual topic.
There’s multiple threads you can voice opinion on the vaccines themselves.

My opinion on topic:

No way I want Newton on the team I root for, and his skill level isn’t even in the top 3 reasons.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":23hq7n0n said:
ivotuk":23hq7n0n said:
seabowl":23hq7n0n said:
I truly get the dislike for Newton . With this said you are all saying Geno now but with Covid positives on the rise, if forbid Russ goes into quarantine then I'd rather have the MUCH better qb in Cam then Geno. Sorry but Cam being better than Geno is fact.

Delusional post. :snack:

Physically, his shoulders are shot. Too many big hits, and surgeries.

He’s been a starter everywhere he’s been. Geno only started at the way beginning of his career and was relegated to backup because he is not good enough to start.

Now who’s delusional?????
> Anyone < who believes that a player that refuses to PROTECT others on the team by getting vaccinated is "DELUSIONAL", that's who.
AND the old saying, "the tail goes with the hide", in other words not being "vaxxed" HAS to be a consideration in this discussion,
BB most certainly took it into consideration, no?

toffee

Reaction score
AgentDib":1ckyprj2 said:
If you don't think the vaccination thing matters then consider the time Cam missed last year and then again this pre-season due to Covid and yet he still refuses to be vaccinated. Try to set your politics aside and consider this like you would an injury prone player. Their value is lower because you are less likely to get a full season from them, and in this case the "injury" can be transmitted to other players that will also cause them to miss time.

Also, teams could forfeit games this season if they have outbreaks and unvaccinated players are involved. Taking that risk for a backup QB would be a really, really, really dumb idea.
this

Fade

Reaction score
People need to calm down. This isn't going to happen regardless.

It is a pipedream or a nightmare depending on which side of the fence you're on, but it ain't happening.

Chillax.

John63

Reaction score
Rat":eac15m3o said:
SmokinHawk":eac15m3o said:
Geno. We don't need a media distraction and locker room cancer in Newton.
How is he a locker room cancer?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-are-more-than-enough-to-put-heat-on-his-seat

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/ne...key-factors-in-decision-to-release-cam-newton

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/...-defends-postgame-behavior-at-super-bowl.html

The video where he avoided getting on the ball in a playoff game

There is more

JustTheTip

Reaction score
John63":112yyvgy said:
Rat":112yyvgy said:
SmokinHawk":112yyvgy said:
Geno. We don't need a media distraction and locker room cancer in Newton.
How is he a locker room cancer?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-are-more-than-enough-to-put-heat-on-his-seat

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-east/ne...key-factors-in-decision-to-release-cam-newton

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/10/...-defends-postgame-behavior-at-super-bowl.html

The video where he avoided getting on the ball in the Super Bowl

There is more

Fixed it for you, not to mention the child-like temper tantrums he threw in that game.

Tantrums:
[youtube]LNgQismvN_Y[/youtube]

Refusing to dive on the fumble at 3:50
[youtube]CmFegiqVXKE[/youtube]

RiverDog

Reaction score
pmedic920":37p7xsgk said:
Obviously vax vs no vax could be part of the decision process BUT please keep the thread about the actual topic.
There’s multiple threads you can voice opinion on the vaccines themselves.

My opinion on topic:

No way I want Newton on the team I root for, and his skill level isn’t even in the top 3 reasons.

I don't like Newton, either. I can't get out of my head the incident where he refused to dive after a loose ball in the SB, down by a touchdown and in the 4th quarter, because he was afraid he was going to get hurt.

But that's not the primary reason that I don't think he's a good fit. Geno has been with us for over 2 years now, and has developed a familiarity with Russell, Lockett, Metcalf, et al. He's used to carrying a clipboard and there's been no indication that he's been anything but a good teammate. He's played reasonably well in the preseason.

Cam, on the other hand, might be a better option in a run first offense like ours as he's still a great runner that has to be accounted for, especially on short yardage situations, but he's had accuracy problems and he'd have to not only learn a new system, he'd have to develop a familiarity with our coaches and players. And of course, there's no telling how he'd handle playing second fiddle. It's something he's never had to deal with in his career.

But there is without question a huge issue in his refusal to get vaxxed as it not only affects his eligibility, it could affect multiple other players. Everyone remembers what happened to Denver last season when all 3 of their QB's had to go into quarantine. Although that scenario isn't as likely to happen this year as it was last season, it's still a possibility that runs shivers up the spines of coaching staffs. And this season, if they can't reschedule a game due to a Covid incident, the team with the unvaxxed player has to forfeit.

It doesn't really matter what your position on vaccinations is. The fact is that given this season's protocols, there is no way any team wants to assume that kind of risk, especially if all we're talking about is a backup QB. If we lose Russell for anything more than a game or two, we're screwed no matter who our backup is.