D’Wayne Eskridge

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I'm aware of that. Thats why I asked why he wasnt kept if he was so good. He leaves and plays well somewhere else, the Hawks get a different center but yet Geno is still one of the most sacked QBs in the league. Why is that? Ask yourself that before blaming everything on Russell Wilson.

Russell Wilson: 43 sacks in less than 12 complete games. So about 3.6 sacks per game. He's been sacked on about 9.8% of his dropbacks, the second-worst number in the league.
Geno Smith: 37 sacks in 14 full games. 2.6 sacks per game is pretty high, but it's an offensive line with three new linemen, including rookies at both tackle positions. Smith has been sacked on about 7.6% of his dropbacks, good for 14th-worst in the league (i.e., middle of the pack).

Smith takes a full sack per game less than Wilson, even though we were told before the season started that Wilson, freed from the shackles of Pete Carroll and with a better offensive line, would light up the league.

I predicted before the season started that by mid-season, talking-head mediots would be publicly scratching their heads and wondering what happened to the Broncos offensive line, which had been slightly above-average. Things didn't work out that way, even though Wilson is, as usual, among the league leaders in sack percentage. That's because the story hasn't been the sacks as one of few blemishes on Wilson's otherwise excellent season, but instead Wilson's general utter suckitude and bottom-fifth-of-the-league overall performance. The sacks are just one small part of just how awful Wilson has been this season.

Wilson is 22nd in ANY/A (Smith is seventh), 29th in QBR (Smith is fifth), 26th in passer rating (Smith is second), 28th in DVOA (Smith is sixth), and 28th in DYAR, just below - yikes - Kenny Pickett in that estimate of total value produced this season 😬 (Smith is eighth). And all this despite Smith having an offensive line with two rookie tackles and a new-to-the-team and easily manhandled center.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Russell Wilson: 43 sacks in less than 12 complete games. So about 3.6 sacks per game. He's been sacked on about 9.8% of his dropbacks, the second-worst number in the league.
Geno Smith: 37 sacks in 14 full games. 2.6 sacks per game is pretty high, but it's an offensive line with three new linemen, including rookies at both tackle positions. Smith has been sacked on about 7.6% of his dropbacks, good for 14th-worst in the league (i.e., middle of the pack).

Smith takes a full sack per game less than Wilson, even though we were told before the season started that Wilson, freed from the shackles of Pete Carroll and with a better offensive line, would light up the league.

I predicted before the season started that by mid-season, talking-head mediots would be publicly scratching their heads and wondering what happened to the Broncos offensive line, which had been slightly above-average. Things didn't work out that way, even though Wilson is, as usual, among the league leaders in sack percentage. That's because the story hasn't been the sacks as one of few blemishes on Wilson's otherwise excellent season, but instead Wilson's general utter suckitude and bottom-fifth-of-the-league overall performance. The sacks are just one small part of just how awful Wilson has been this season.

Wilson is 22nd in ANY/A (Smith is seventh), 29th in QBR (Smith is fifth), 26th in passer rating (Smith is second), 28th in DVOA (Smith is sixth), and 28th in DYAR, just below - yikes - Kenny Pickett in that estimate of total value produced this season 😬 (Smith is eighth). And all this despite Smith having an offensive line with two rookie tackles and a new-to-the-team and easily manhandled center.

The funniest part is that both ESPN PBWR and PFF grading has the Broncos offensive line as bang average, even despite injuries.

Latest posts