Geno is MR. CLUTCH

renofox

Reaction score
Only a complete imbecile would think any coach prefers to play games like that.
It's the NFL. You have to be able to and comfortable with winning close games. You almost never have a significant talent advantage. Sometimes you get a significant matchup advantage, but a clear talent advantage like SF is rare
I noted a pattern. I guess that pattern doesn't exist in your world. And that's fine.

toffee

Reaction score
A good day for Geno, a bad day for Russell Wilson, self proclaimed Mr. Clutch, inventor of unlimited, master of hero ball.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Someone who fits very well below Geno on the list.
So this is where it gets confusing. We’re back to claiming he’s a franchise guy like the pic posted? If he has a bad game next week are we back to discussing who we should draft because he’s not the guy? I can’t keep up.

Geno has had a very average year. He played great down the stretch today which was awesome. Both can be true

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
So this is where it gets confusing. We’re back to claiming he’s a franchise guy like the pic posted? If he has a bad game next week are we back to discussing who we should draft because he’s not the guy? I can’t keep up.

Geno has had a very average year. He played great down the stretch today which was awesome. Both can be true
I'm maintaining the position that I always have. I believe Geno is the best we can do, and the best we were capable of doing the past two years. He's performed well above any reasonable expectation, and fundamentally, he is capable of top-10 play if given excellent conditions. Otherwise, Geno Smith is merely a competent operator of the offense who can give you a chance to win if you're not getting dicked in every other phase. He is genuinely a good quarterback, and he'd be competing for championships on a team like San Francisco.

With that said, I've maintained that Geno's viability here is self-limiting by his age. He is a bridge. He's in his 30s and he's not of the caliber where you can hitch your wagon to him until he falls off in his advancing age, and also is about to command a cap hit that is commensurate with his level of talent but isn't especially compatible with the timeline of where this team is in terms of Super Bowl viability.

So, to summarize my view, Geno is not the franchise quarterback of the future for the Seattle Seahawks, and this is likely his last year here given his cap hit. I've maintained that view consistently - he is a bridge. His talent, however, I truly believe is in the 10-12 range based on a combination of factors including his overall processing, his arm talent, his overall accuracy, and his ability to mitigate negative outcomes especially in the form of sacks. For an ideal championship window, we'd want to be moving on a young quarterback relatively soon provided the acquisition of one is reasonable to achieve (as in, not trading up into the top 3 overall picks).

If they're not in a position to obtain one of, say, Williams/Maye/Daniels and would have to settle for a talent like Nix or McCarthy - I'd hope they could maneuver Geno's cap hit a bit or convince him to restructure, and would be comfortable seeing Geno especially with a revamped offensive coaching staff (God damn I wish we had Canales right about now). Even that, again, would be a self-limiting career arc due to Geno's age, which is a fact that cannot be changed. If we could get this offense to the point where it is handling the chains through the rushing attack and bringing Geno's attempts down in both volume and difficulty, we'd be dangerous.

I have tried to be as clear and consistent on this matter as I possibly can over the past couple of years.

Also, I should've been clearer - I just wanted to post that for the statistic, not to endorse the commentary of that reposting tweeter.

GemCity

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me…as this will sound weird. But, as I’m watching our games, there’s not too much that Geno does that has me thinking he’s having an outstanding game.

Then…he’ll drop a dime. And another. Then we pull out a win…

Still thinking he just did “ok”, I go check the stats and say “oh shit…he was lighting their asses up”.

I like these pleasant surprises. Maybe we get last years first half in this years second half. I’ll write back for that.

I love our QB room, WR room, SB room, the Boom Boom room….I digress.

We’ve got a team folks. Playoff bound!!!

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
We need a .net party bus. Dude, if I could get on with Fade and Mal, I bet the drank could have them writing back before the end of the night.

keasley45

Reaction score
Which tells me the Defense played another solid game and kept it close enough for Geno to limp us to a win, after doing little of nothing for the 8 drives prior?
Bro. Really. Limp us to a win?

I swear this place has one way of evaluating the game of football and of qb play.

The offense played the game the way it was called.

Geno has shown way above and beyond reasonable doubt that when the game is called effectively to go into shootout mode, he can. He did it last year, and he's done it this year. In fact he put up a performance in Dallas that no other QB this year has, WITHOUT any semblance of consistent support from the running game or defense.

And that last point - no running game and a porous defense. He's dealt with that since the middle of last year.

The Titans, despite their record, were near tops in the league in limiting passing TDs in the redzone. When Geno shook off the rust of nit playing for 2 weeks, he was the reason we won the game.

He wasn't carried by a defense or a ground game.

themunn

Reaction score
Which tells me the Defense played another solid game and kept it close enough for Geno to limp us to a win, after doing little of nothing for the 8 drives prior?

I don't think those stats really stack up - given we had 7 total drives and scored on 4 of them.

If you told me ahead of time that we will only punt 3 times in the game and have 0 turnovers I'd say that sounds like a pretty good offensive output.

keasley45

Reaction score
I don't think those stats really stack up - given we had 7 total drives and scored on 4 of them.

If you told me ahead of time that we will only punt 3 times in the game and have 0 turnovers I'd say that sounds like a pretty good offensive output.

That makes waaayyyy too much sense. Just stop.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Maybe he had to "share" the headphones with a coach or something. 🤷‍♂️

I didn't think much of it because no way they would pull Geno in that situation.

Did anyone notice that drew Lock had his helmet on right as Geno started to pick it up? Guy seemed to catch fire.
I’ve never noticed the backup qb with his helmet on without coming into the game?
You guys think it’s anything or just something irreverent?
He's still jacked up from the game before. He wants to go out there and ball.