Geno is MR. CLUTCH

keasley45

Reaction score
So this is where it gets confusing. We’re back to claiming he’s a franchise guy like the pic posted? If he has a bad game next week are we back to discussing who we should draft because he’s not the guy? I can’t keep up.

Geno has had a very average year. He played great down the stretch today which was awesome. Both can be true

Shane Waldron has had an extremely underwhelming year. Hard for players to outperform the play sheet. Unless they just live outside of it...

OP
OP
Welshers2

Welshers2

Reaction score
So this is where it gets confusing. We’re back to claiming he’s a franchise guy like the pic posted? If he has a bad game next week are we back to discussing who we should draft because he’s not the guy? I can’t keep up.

Geno has had a very average year. He played great down the stretch today which was awesome. Both can be true
I dont disagree with this and you're exactly right, if he has a bad week this week everyone will say to cut him.

Personally I don't think he's elite or necessarily a "franchise" qb depending on how you define that. I think he's a serviceable mid tier qb who has been great in clutch time.

As you said he's been average. There is a large group of people saying he sucks and is horrible and a small group defending him. I'm more in the middle like your post said. I still stand by my assertion that the hate for him seems a little over the top to me. He hasn't been as bad as generally advertised, but that doesn't mean I'm saying he's elite either. Both can be true

GemCity

Reaction score
I dont disagree with this and you're exactly right, if he has a bad week this week everyone will say to cut him.

Personally I don't think he's elite or necessarily a "franchise" qb depending on how you define that. I think he's a serviceable mid tier qb who has been great in clutch time.

As you said he's been average. There is a large group of people saying he sucks and is horrible and a small group defending him. I'm more in the middle like your post said. I still stand by my assertion that the hate for him seems a little over the top to me. He hasn't been as bad as generally advertised, but that doesn't mean I'm saying he's elite either. Both can be true
Well said!

Ozzy

Reaction score

good post honestly

SonicHawk

Reaction score
It's kind of the point I've been trying to bang through PNW's head who pretends like I suggest Geno is a top tier QB.

He's a damn good QB, but like right in the mid tier. The type of QB you can win a super bowl with if you have a good team around him. He's not a gunslinger, I don't think he makes bad decisions at a high rate, he's efficacy in the redzone has been a lot to do with the Seahawks run game being relatively poor, and the focus on only the corners of the field.

I also think he's been hamstrung by a misuse of our offensive tools. It's not that Waldron's scheme is bad, it's just not the right fit for our skillset.

Our offense is not built on Geno making a ton of reads. His progression is like A or B and that's play design. DK doesn't win a ton of matchups on the outside or comebacks. He's fast, but not quick. Lockett wins those way more than he does because of his quickness. DK is much better when he streaks or when he cuts in and gets in front of the CB and finds the space between the CB and the LB.

Lockett is constantly forgotten about schemewise. We put too much emphasis on passes that don't really pass the LOS, and the run game leaves us with a lot of 3rd and longs.

We also never run to the outside, except when Walker bounces around in the backfield.

With a different group of skill players the offensive scheme might be great.

But all this to say, it's not that I think Geno is great, but I do think that replacing him is not as easy as some suggest. Geno is above replacement level at QB. When I call Geno the QBOTF it's not because I think he's CJ Stroud, but because I don't have a ton of confidence in college QBs like Daniels, Penix, Nix, Sanders etc. Are you so blown away by a Caleb Williams or Drake Maye that you're going to mortgage everything to try and draft them when the rest of your team has so many holes?

I think Geno can win. You give him a better defense, or at a minimum a couple of safeties, you call a gameplan that highlights our skill players as opposed to sticking rigidly to your ideal gameplan, and all of a sudden we're in the NFCCG.

themunn

Reaction score
It's kind of the point I've been trying to bang through PNW's head who pretends like I suggest Geno is a top tier QB.

He's a damn good QB, but like right in the mid tier. The type of QB you can win a super bowl with if you have a good team around him.

Who are the top tier QBs in the NFL that can win a superbowl with even if they don't have a good team around them?

Mahomes? Well he does have a really good team around him.

The only other superbowl winning QBs from last 10 superbowls or so are Tom Brady (retired), who yes you can definitely say that about, Stafford, who clearly couldn't do it with the Lions so obviously needs a good team around him, Foles/Wentz, who obviously would never make it there without a great team and system, and Peyton Manning, who is probably the 2nd QB on the list who you might say could do it without a great team around him - except the only 2 times he managed it was because he had a really great team around him.

So yeah basically unless we find the next Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, Geno Smith is probably exactly who you need

keasley45

Reaction score

He's a damn good QB, but like right in the mid tier. The type of QB you can win a super bowl with if you have a good team around him. He's not a gunslinger, I don't think he makes bad decisions at a high rate, he's efficacy in the redzone has been a lot to do with the Seahawks run game being relatively poor, and the focus on only the corners of the field.

I also think he's been hamstrung by a misuse of our offensive tools. It's not that Waldron's scheme is bad, it's just not the right fit for our skillset.

Our offense is not built on Geno making a ton of reads. His progression is like A or B and that's play design. DK doesn't win a ton of matchups on the outside or comebacks. He's fast, but not quick. Lockett wins those way more than he does because of his quickness. DK is much better when he streaks or when he cuts in and gets in front of the CB and finds the space between the CB and the LB.

Lockett is constantly forgotten about schemewise. We put too much emphasis on passes that don't really pass the LOS, and the run game leaves us with a lot of 3rd and longs.

We also never run to the outside, except when Walker bounces around in the backfield.

But all this to say, it's not that I think Geno is great, but I do think that replacing him is not as easy as some suggest. Geno is above replacement level at QB. When I call Geno the QBOTF it's not because I think he's CJ Stroud, but because I don't have a ton of confidence in college QBs like Daniels, Penix, Nix, Sanders etc. Are you so blown away by a Caleb Williams or Drake Maye that you're going to mortgage everything to try and draft them when the rest of your team has so many holes?

I think Geno can win. You give him a better defense, or at a minimum a couple of safeties, you call a gameplan that highlights our skill players as opposed to sticking rigidly to your ideal gameplan, and all of a sudden we're in the NFCCG.
Agree with almost all of this. But I think the offense has the players (maybe not on the interior line) but the OC has struggled to effectively use them all in a coherent strategy, game to game.

strohmin

Reaction score
Which tells me the Defense played another solid game and kept it close enough for Geno to limp us to a win, after doing little of nothing for the 8 drives prior?
The defense gave up long time consuming drives. Its not like Geno had several oppurtunities to run up the score. The defense made stops when absolutely needed but they didnt play so great to say they carried the game. Id say Geno and the offense played as good as the defense. Plus Geno did pretty good considering our run game was non existant or predictable.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
The defense gave up long time consuming drives. Its not like Geno had several oppurtunities to run up the score. The defense made stops when absolutely needed but they didnt play so great to say they carried the game. Id say Geno and the offense played as good as the defense. Plus Geno did pretty good considering our run game was non existant or predictable.
Absolutely. In so many ways, we actually overperformed offensively including by scoring on a higher percentage of drives than Tennessee usually gives up. The issue is, the average team is getting 10 drives a game against the Titans and we only got 7.

Our defense did well (for them) by holding Tennessee to only 17 points, but they did it while letting them take up basically all of the clock.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I'm just tired of people saying he's not clutch. I see this narrative a ton here and I don't get it.
He's as clutch as anyone . Id have to ask the question " why does he have to be clutch?" It's a team thing . The Seahawks should've had the games in hand . I think he's good enough to lead this team . The team is average though, some weeks they have it together and other weeks were scratching our heads.

This isn't Genos fault.

Seattle needs to be good enough around him to get him in a position where he's not having to be Johnny Unitas 1958 *

* I grabbed that out of my butt

Ozzy

Reaction score

Contrary to popular belief I actually mostly agree on your main point. I could nitpick some of the pass you give Geno in the red zone, his turnover type plays etc but overall I mostly agree. I think Geno is a good QB. I concede that some of my thinking is based on what we saw for ten years with Russ which isn’t fair because Russ eas in rarified air those ten years regardless of whether people want to believe it or lot. You can count with your fingers how many guys started their careers as well as Russ did and that’s crazy if you think about it.

So again to concede the point let’s say Geno is good to very good. Can you win a SB with that? Maybe? But it would take an innovative system, a great roster construction which I don’t believe Pete is capable of at this point in his career and some luck. So that’s why if Pete’s staying I think need special at the position even if it’s a low hit rate.

I also think Waldrons system could work with our players but the line would have to drastically improve and/or Pete would have to allow Waldron to utilize parts of the field Pete isn’t historically comfortable with. Having said that as the line has improved recently the efficiency numbers have looked better so there is some hope moving forward and like I said last week I expect Geno to finish the year very strongly…..I’m not the Geno hater I’m painted to be.

knownone

Reaction score
It's nice to see the temperature surrounding Geno change a bit. The numbers don't lie. He's been between 16 and 8 in almost every significant metric for the past two seasons. Yet, just a few days ago, a substantial portion of our fan base wanted to bench him in favor of Drew Lock. Why? Who knows.

WarHawks

Reaction score
He's averaging 1-2 td's a game. That simply isn't good enough. Especially when playing top teams like the Ravens, 9'ers, etc. Is he serviceable? Sure. But pretending we shouldn't try to improve the position because drafting qb's is hard is just silly. Keep drafting qb's until we find one who rocks our world. Because settling for average or slightly above average isn't exactly a recipe for winning a sb. Let's not forget, the only sb we won was with a top 5 qb who we drafted, on a rookie contract, in his prime. I don't understand why we are trying to re-invent the wheel.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score
He's averaging 1-2 td's a game. That simply isn't good enough. Especially when playing top teams like the Ravens, 9'ers, etc. Is he serviceable? Sure. But pretending we shouldn't try to improve the position because drafting qb's is hard is just silly. Keep drafting qb's until we find one who rocks our world. Because settling for average or slightly above average isn't exactly a recipe for winning a sb. Let's not forget, the only sb we won was with a top 5 qb who we drafted, on a rookie contract, in his prime. I don't understand why we are trying to re-invent the wheel.

What 'at best, serviceable or average' qb ties the NFL record for comeback TDs in the 4th quarter.. in history?

From Sports Illustrated:

"Further demonstrating his capabilities in the clutch, per the Elias Sports Bureau, [Geno] Smith's two go-ahead touchdowns in the fourth quarter on Sunday gave him six such passes this season, tying him for the most in a season in NFL history. His three go-ahead touchdown passes inside a minute to play during the 2023 season also is tied for the most in league history"

His lack of TDs isn't because he isn't capable. He absolutley had missed throws. He's missed reads. He's been hesitant to get rid of the ball. But to look at this offense and go straight to Geno to knock him for not doing enough is to flat ignore that :

1. We have no run game
2. Our O line has been banged up beyond recognition for a good part of the season.
3. And our coordinator is often seemingly inept and incapable of managing the offensive playbook.

And non of that is to excuse Geno's mishaps.

But for Christmas sake, you don't set franchise records if you are just serviceable.

You don't lead the league in completion percentage if you are just serviceable.

And you don't set the all time NFL record for 4th qtr go ahead TDs if you are just serviceable.

And you dont lead the league in completed difficult throws.

The guy can read defenses.

He knows the offense like the back if his hand.

And it should mean something that when we actually throttle up the offense and call plays that make sense ( see any of his NFL record setting 4th qtr go ahead TD drives, the Dallas game, the Detroit game, etc.) that he's damn good.

If we don't want to put him in the elite club, I get it. If we don't think he's done enough to be called 'great' , that's reasonable. But he's a lot better than 'serviceable'.

WarHawks

Reaction score
What 'at best, serviceable or average' qb ties the NFL record for comeback TDs in the 4th quarter.. in history?

From Sports Illustrated:

"Further demonstrating his capabilities in the clutch, per the Elias Sports Bureau, [Geno] Smith's two go-ahead touchdowns in the fourth quarter on Sunday gave him six such passes this season, tying him for the most in a season in NFL history. His three go-ahead touchdown passes inside a minute to play during the 2023 season also is tied for the most in league history"

His lack of TDs isn't because he isn't capable. He absolutley had missed throws. He's missed reads. He's been hesitant to get rid of the ball. But to look at this offense and go straight to Geno to knock him for not doing enough is to flat ignore that :

1. We have no run game
2. Our O line has been banged up beyond recognition for a good part of the season.
3. And our coordinator is often seemingly inept and incapable of managing the offensive playbook.

And non of that is to excuse Geno's mishaps.

But for Christmas sake, you don't set franchise records if you are just serviceable.

You don't lead the league in completion percentage if you are just serviceable.

And you don't set the all time NFL record for 4th qtr go ahead TDs if you are just serviceable.

And you dont lead the league in completed difficult throws.

The guy can read defenses.

He knows the offense like the back if his hand.

And it should mean something that when we actually throttle up the offense and call plays that make sense ( see any of his NFL record setting 4th qtr go ahead TD drives, the Dallas game, the Detroit game, etc.) that he's damn good.

If we don't want to put him in the elite club, I get it. If we don't think he's done enough to be called 'great' , that's reasonable. But he's a lot better than 'serviceable'.
Get back to me when he does that against the Ravens or 9'ers. Because until he does, all of that is moot.

keasley45

Reaction score
Get back to me when he does that against the Ravens or 9'ers. Because until he does, all of that is moot.

Get back to me when we have a running game and a coordinator who can consistently call a complete game.

The Ravens and 9ers. Really? I guess every qb who hasn't beat them this year should get the hook?