Geno is such a joke

John63

Reaction score
5thgen":245dqa65 said:
R Wilson have not came back and won a game for us in a while either. Geno is serviceable while we trade wilson and look for another qb in the draft .

Ahh he just did it last year

John63

Reaction score
5thgen":300uqese said:
R Wilson have not came back and won a game for us in a while either. Geno is serviceable while we trade wilson and look for another qb in the draft .

Ahh he just did it last year 3 times. What are untalking about?

flv

Reaction score
Good luck getting a better veteran QB for $1.2M.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3d0gkbgv said:
I can feel the crucifixion coming on, but he did fine.

Not great, not good. Fine. He played a fine game for a backup quarterback. Managed the game decently. I'm not expecting greatness out of him.

Backup quarterbacks generally are not good. I can't really think of one I'd expect to play any better than that.
I don’t think he did fine, he turtled when it counted. I’m sure he’d tell us all that too.

I sure he didn’t mean to take a sack on 3rd down or fumble in OT, but that’s what the reality was.

Look, it’s easy to crap on someone after an ending like that, I’m guilty as charged, But…. Trying to put this nicely, his skill set as a QB in this league is very very limited.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":1zpkyo5k said:
Appyhawk":1zpkyo5k said:
Had our team played the first half like we played the second Pitt wouldn't have been close enough for any of this OT stuff to happen. As it is we played a mediocre team to a standstill in regulation. This might have been one of the two most winnable games left on our schedule.

Pete Carroll team's only play one half of football a game, that is his philosophy.
Yep, and what a suck ass philosophy it is. If they decided they wanted to “play” in the first half, Seattle wins the game in regulation fairly easy.

Nope, Pete wants to “feel a team out” and be dictated to by the opponent instead of dictating the game to them. Getting tired of them piss away quarters and halves of games with this stupid “you can’t win the game in the 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, 3rd quarter bullshit!

That only works when you have an Uber talented Super Bowl team that can overcome coaching mistakes and bad play calls. This team is light years away from that.

1st game they dictated how the game went, and didn’t give away a half of football. It was wonderful.
IT WORKED, so why did you get away from it? Does Pete crave the drama of always playing behind?

I don’t get it.

Fade

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":8ltk6i04 said:
1st game they dictated how the game went, and didn’t give away a half of football. It was wonderful.
IT WORKED, so why did you get away from it? Does Pete crave the drama of always playing behind?

I don’t get it.

I've been studying this for a long time, and have always been inquisitive to the reasons why coaches do what they do. Pete struggles to adjust to what is happening on the field on the fly compared to his peers, he NEEDS to simplify the game or he himself will get boat raced by the opposing coach.

Pete is not an X's & O's coach. He learned the defense he is still deploying to this day from Monty Kiffin in the 1970's. His offensive philosophy he picked up from Mike Shanahan with the 49ers in the 90s. With some of his other quirks coming from the 70's Raiders.

So he developed a rope-a-dope style to level the playing field and mitigate his weaknesses, and built his philosophy around that.

What you get is a team that plays with great effort, but they aren't smart, and will have long stretches of ugly play game in and game out due to Pete's handicap. This will never change, he is what he is.

So as you said, "feeling teams out" is very real. Wilson for years has been campaigning to start fast, and has said things like why not play like the 4th quarter in the 1st quarter? Which they've done more in recent years. Particularly the start of last year, and the first 3 games of this year. Problem! The Seahawks jump on teams, the opponent adjusts, and Pete takes too long to adjust to the opponents adjustments, he can't keep up. Pete's answer every time is to slow things down and simplify. He's trying to play checkers, he doesn't want to play chess.

John63

Reaction score
Fade":2dfblwul said:
Sports Hernia":2dfblwul said:

I don’t get it.

I've been studying this for a long time, and have always been inquisitive to the reasons why coaches do what they do. Pete struggles to adjust to what is happening on the field on the fly compared to his peers, he NEEDS to simplify the game or he himself will get boat raced by the opposing coach.

Pete is not an X's & O's coach. He learned the defense he is still deploying to this day from Monty Kiffin in the 1970's. His offensive philosophy he picked up from Mike Shanahan with the 49ers in the 90s. With some of his other quirks coming from the 70's Raiders.

So he developed a rope-a-dope style to level the playing field and mitigate his weaknesses, and built his philosophy around that.

What you get is a team that plays with great effort, but they aren't smart, and will have long stretches of ugly play game in and game out due to Pete's handicap. This will never change, he is what he is.

So as you said, "feeling teams out" is very real. Wilson for years has been campaigning to start fast, and has said things like why not play like the 4th quarter in the 1st quarter? Which they've done more in recent years. Particularly the start of last year, and the first 3 games of this year. Problem! The Seahawks jump on teams, the opponent adjusts, and Pete takes too long to adjust to the opponents adjustments, he can't keep up. Pete's answer every time is to slow things down and simplify. He's trying to play checkers, he doesn't want to play chess.

Agree a smart coach would say okay what now, let's let my hif bound qb do what he does best. Run and call an uptempo offense. But nope ox is to much of a control freak for that.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
John63":22bv5yj2 said:
Appyhawk":22bv5yj2 said:
Geno was as good as our line let him be.

Same oline Wilson has been playing behind for 10 uears

Russ is way better. Obviously. You have like 40 replies tonight talking about russ. Take a break gobbling Russ for just 50% of your posts and you would be bearable.

Geno is a backup. He is not good enough to be a starter but Russ was injured. So, he is going to be worse then a future HOF QB.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":23sp2b99 said:
Maelstrom787":23sp2b99 said:

Not great, not good. Fine. He played a fine game for a backup quarterback. Managed the game decently. I'm not expecting greatness out of him.

Backup quarterbacks generally are not good. I can't really think of one I'd expect to play any better than that.
I don’t think he did fine, he turtled when it counted. I’m sure he’d tell us all that too.

I sure he didn’t mean to take a sack on 3rd down or fumble in OT, but that’s what the reality was.

Look, it’s easy to crap on someone after an ending like that, I’m guilty as charged, But…. Trying to put this nicely, his skill set as a QB in this league is very very limited.

The fumble was on him as he needs to tuck the ball but the sack was not his. I mean Russ is sacked most likely too as Shell was beat instantly.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":zxwknn2x said:
Sports Hernia":zxwknn2x said:
Maelstrom787":zxwknn2x said:

The fumble was on him as he needs to tuck the ball but the sack was not his. I mean Russ is sacked most likely too as Shell was beat instantly.
Disagree with the sack, he needs to be aware of the free blitzer(s) and get rid of the ball.
Russ takes too many sacks too, so he’s not the best barometer to base that off of IMHO.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I wouldn't characterize him as "a joke", but his play last night was sub par and disappointing even considering that it was his first start in years.

Tyler Lockett is without question our best hands receiver and route runner, yet Geno completed just two passes in seven targets to him. His overall QBR was 24.4. Granted, he was getting pressure most of the evening, but that's something that a lot of QB's, including Russell, has to manage.

kf3339

Reaction score
Some of you are being way too hard on the man. He played fine for what he is at this point in his career. He's a backup forced into a starting role with little real help. Even in his last play when he fumbled was just trying to gain yards to help the team. Was it the smartest play No. But even Wilson has done many stupid plays that has caused sacks, fumbles and even Interceptions to cost us the game.

I don't think that play cost us the game. There are plenty of other places to look for that excuse.

BamKam

Reaction score
Geno is Geno and looked like Geno last night. Still think the whole team needs to be blown up except for some of the younger talent and start new. We are essentially just keep putting a new band aid over an infected wound hoping it will heal.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":mktchym5 said:
He reminds me of a weaker armed TJack. His balls shrink in the 4th quarter just like him.

Idk, I feel like his balls inflate in the 4th quarter and overtime. He thinks he can make plays he obviously can't.

I'm not going to bag on Geno. There's a reason he's a backup. Most teams don't win when they have to play their backup for an extended period of time, especially teams that already stink like us.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Am I the only one who wasn't expecting much from Geno? He's a back up for a reason. Otherwise he'd be a starter somewhere else.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Stud":3s5hwohr said:
The thread about sticking with Geno if he was good and trading Wilson was hilarious. You win that game with Wilson. Geno was serviceable, but not horribly effective.

Glad Seahawks fans are finally seeing what it's like to have to play with a backup QB!

8)
Eh, pay no mind to some of the sniveling, MOST of these Wilson detractors were hoping beyond hope, that Geno would come in and kick a$$, and PROVE their notion, that Russell Wilson 'Ain't All That', and EASILY REPLACEABLE, they're PO'd that Geno Smith didn't shine, and prove them right...LOLOL I think it's hilarious :lol:

ZagHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":8y34h6v4 said:
Stud":8y34h6v4 said:
The thread about sticking with Geno if he was good and trading Wilson was hilarious. You win that game with Wilson. Geno was serviceable, but not horribly effective.

Glad Seahawks fans are finally seeing what it's like to have to play with a backup QB!

8)
Eh, pay no mind to some of the sniveling, MOST of these Wilson detractors were hoping beyond hope, that Geno would come in and kick a$$, and PROVE their notion, that Russell Wilson 'Ain't All That', and EASILY REPLACEABLE, they're PO'd that Geno Smith didn't shine, and prove them right...LOLOL I think it's hilarious :lol:

I think people are confusing that RW off the team means you suddenly find a new QB that is just as good or better. That's not what people are saying.

People are saying

RW vs Rookie QB + the 4-6 quality starters you would have with RW salary off the books and in that case you have a much better overall team.

Just imagine running a restaurant with Gordan Ramsay as your chef, but you spent all your money on your cook, and now you're left trying to find every other person in the kitchen for $5/hour salaries. You're gonna have a pretty bad restaurant. Now imagine getting someone capable enough and spreading the money around. It's an overall better product even if you don't have GR cooking...or in this case RW.

RW Salary is roughly 30-35M/year

Players like Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas commanded roughly 10M/year

Players like Cliff Avril commanded roughly 7M a year

That's where I get the number 4-6 quality starters. And yeah just imagine yesterday's game with a rookie your developing with a safer game plan (similar to RWs in the first few years) who honestly would play no better or worse than Geno did and then having 4-6 quality players like above in today's NFL. Now imagine yesterday's game with just RW instead of Geno. Yeah I still think that rookie QB team is better.

RW > Geno. RW < Geno/Rookie + 4-6 quality players

The franchise QB IS the most important role on the team, BUT it is overvalued due to outside factors like viewership and butts in seats in the stadium because they bring in the crowd, but the value to the product on the field is NOT worth their pay in the salary cap era.

Oh BTW comparing Geno this last game vs RW the first few games...did RW really play THAT MUCH better than Geno did? I clearly remember RW getting shut out several halves himself and not winning a game in OT either (something you should expect a 30-35M/year QB to pull off vs the backup).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2f67ftfx said:
People are saying

RW vs Rookie QB + the 4-6 quality starters you would have with RW salary off the books and in that case you have a much better overall team.

Maybe.

The evidence around the league from the perennial bottom feeders of the league says that unless you have a competent owner/GM/coach all the picks and cap space in the world won't equate to wins.

So trade Russell, don't trade Russell.....as long as we have an absentee owner and coach who clearly shows signs that the game has passed him by? Won't matter.

hhc

Reaction score
Offense did not look that different to me. Lousy pass protection. Screens that went no where. Receivers not open.

The past 7 years I've watched teams regularly take 5-10 yard passes with what looks like wide open receivers and wondered why the Seahawks could not do that. Perhaps we should just copy another teams route trees, because ours clearly suck when it comes to ball control offense and have for a long time.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2z57hmri said:
Am I the only one who wasn't expecting much from Geno? He's a back up for a reason. Otherwise he'd be a starter somewhere else.

No, you werent the only one. A few people on here thought Geno was going to be good because they got fooled by the Rams game when they were in a prevent defense and he actually moved the ball. They really should have known better.

Latest posts