Gonzaga BB 2019-20 Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3t5xdd6f said:
I live in Spokane and talk Zags with folks all the time.... I've never once heard anyone say that they need to win a championship. On the contrary, folks here legitimately appreciate what's happened the last 20 years. Sure -- getting to the top of the mountain would be amazing but in no way to I sense pressure from anyone.

There was some truth to the "never been to a final 4" gripe --- but after playing in the final game once and a couple of other elite 8 years that beef has quieted down.

You are probably right that the fan base in Spokane isn’t up in arms over a national championship. Gonzaga doesn’t have the crazy boosters of a Kentucky, but it will catch up eventually if they don’t win one soon. I think Zags get more of a pass because they are newer to the scene than most big name programs. However, in any sport where you succeed, you need to win the big one. Think Andy Reid and his SB drought.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Well BYU took it to 'em last night. Should make a for a fun WCC conference tourney!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1b916ffi said:
Well BYU took it to 'em last night. Should make a for a fun WCC conference tourney!
Been a good year. Someone posted on this thread last week saying Few's done a helluva job considering they've only been 6 or 7 deep all year (depending on Tillie's health) but then he deleted the post unfortunately. It was a good post. I would agree with what he said. They also had to assimilate 2 Guards that had never been in the program before as well. Whoever posted and deleted also said at the beginning of the season he'd be very happy with another Sweet 16 appearance considering they lost 4 starters to professional basketball including 2 first round NBA talents. I could not agree more. I've said all along they're a Sweet 16 level team and anything beyond that would be gravy. I'll stick by it. Hope they exceed my expectations.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":crurlxi7 said:
Hawkstorian":crurlxi7 said:
Been a good year. Someone posted on this thread last week saying Few's done a helluva job considering they've only been 6 or 7 deep all year (depending on Tillie's health) but then he deleted the post unfortunately. It was a good post. I would agree with what he said. They also had to assimilate 2 Guards that had never been in the program before as well. Whoever posted and deleted also said at the beginning of the season he'd be very happy with another Sweet 16 appearance considering they lost 4 starters to professional basketball including 2 first round NBA talents. I could not agree more. I've said all along they're a Sweet 16 level team and anything beyond that would be gravy. I'll stick by it. Hope they exceed my expectations.
That was my post. don't think I deleted it but maybe I did (too lazy to look). I still think Few has done a fantastic job this year. He is an all time great coach imo.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Figured they'd split with BYU. Probably need to win out now to keep the 1 seed.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2esy40x9 said:
I think some posts were lost when they restored the backups.
Ah that makes sense. It was a good post Natethegreat.

Crizilla":2esy40x9 said:
Figured they'd split with BYU. Probably need to win out now to keep the 1 seed.
Totally agree. They will always have to have no more than 2 losses imo to get a 1 seed because of the perception of the conference, sometimes legit, sometimes not so much.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Natethegreat":36isx3zn said:
hawksfansinceday1":36isx3zn said:
Hawkstorian":36isx3zn said:
That was my post. don't think I deleted it but maybe I did (too lazy to look). I still think Few has done a fantastic job this year. He is an all time great coach imo.

Agree on Few, who I consider to be one of the best in the biz. I'm a Jayhawk to the core, but have also been a Zags fan since they offered my son a scholly back in the 80s when we lived in Montana. A problem for Zags is their SOS. Drags their KenPom rating down. Regardless, I don't think there is any other coach in America who does as much with as many limitations, but Few has pulled it off constantly and in great style.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
They site right now at #2 in KemPom so I don't think their SOS is dragging it down that much!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":23u5za09 said:
They site right now at #2 in KemPom so I don't think their SOS is dragging it down that much!
Yeah but their Conference sucks.............oh wait, 3 teams will make the tournament, BYU, Zags and St. Mary's and 2 more have 20+ wins (Pacific and San Francisco) with Santa Clara sitting at 19.

None of this can be true!
Signed Tical

2 more wins to the #1 seed. Unfortunately, I am pessimistic about their chances vs. BYU in what will likely be the championship game what with the way Childs has been playing.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This is probably one of the best years for the WCC. Can't remember the last time they got three teams in the dance. But lets not pretend like it's some great P5 conference.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":19rluntc said:
This is probably one of the best years for the WCC. Can't remember the last time they got three teams in the dance. But lets not pretend like it's some great P5 conference.
I don't think anyone was saying that. However the Tical's of the world are delusional as far as how weak the WCC is and how good the Pac 12 is.
As I posted earlier in the year in response to a Tical post teams like Cal would place in the bottom half of the WCC. Likewise, GU would have finished first in the Pac 12. The WCC isn't a power 5 league but they aren't that far behind the Pac 12.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":12qr3uhq said:
Hawk-Lock":12qr3uhq said:
I don't think anyone was saying that. However the Tical's of the world are delusional as far as how weak the WCC is and how good the Pac 12 is.
As I posted earlier in the year in response to a Tical post teams like Cal would place in the bottom half of the WCC. Likewise, GU would have finished first in the Pac 12. The WCC isn't a power 5 league but they aren't that far behind the Pac 12.

Pac-12 is pretty weak, IMO the worst of the P5 conferences. Oregon is the only top 25 team, and possibly the only team that will make it to the second weekend in the tourney. I think they could possibly get 7 teams in the dance, but most of them will be double digit seeds or close to that.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm ridin' pretty high today. Seems likely my 2 fav teams are gonna be 1 and 2 in the polls tomorrow. How often does that happen?
I'm pretty shocked at Baylor losing 4 of their last 5 after their banner start to the year. Oregon stalled out late too. One thing that helps everyone is whenever you have Duke, N Car, and Tucky losing so many games in a season. That alone makes it a pretty good year!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":19f0nmli said:
Crizilla":19f0nmli said:
1 seed in the books but i dont care, FF or bust

Totally agree.
Disagree with you guys. As much as I would LOVE a FF, anything beyond a Sweet 16 is gravy for me considering they lost 4 guys to pro hoops, 2 of which were 1st round NBA draft choices and considering they had zilch at G not too long before the season began. IMO recruiting Woolridge and Gilder in and then incorporating them so smoothly is one of Few's best coaching jobs. In fact this whole year has been I believe. I mean also don't forget they have had a 6 man rotation most of the year since Watson has been out about 75% of it and at times really only had 5 starting level guys when Tillie had his injuries. Yet here they are at 30-2 in a league that will send 3 teams to the dance. As much as anything I frankly don't believe they play good enough defense to make the FF but as always so much depends on matchups.

Now if you want to talk about FF or bust next year, I'll agree. They will be beyond loaded. Dickey V has already stated they'll be his preseason #1.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3fdr4599 said:
They just posted a news flash the NCAA tourney will be played without fans in attendance. Do you think that will affect the outcome?

Games will be cancelled.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3lqwjxil said:
Appyhawk":3lqwjxil said:
They just posted a news flash the NCAA tourney will be played without fans in attendance. Do you think that will affect the outcome?

Games will be cancelled.
So far, nope. TV is going to be allowed in to broadcast because money of course.