Gonzaga BB 2019-20 Thread

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Definitely I feel the same way. I watch this team play and don't see near the talent as the 2017 or 2019 teams.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Looks like 2020 will be remembered as boring basketball in the NCAA, but wow, this is especially pronounced with the Zags after last season's fun-to-watch Brandon Clarke, Rui, Perkins, Norvell, and even Jones at times. Especially Clarke.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":29x67lpi said:
That's debatable --- i think WSU is more like 7 or 8 .... but at the end of the day this is about Gonzaga not the WCC. If Zags could find a way out of the WCC they would take it in a heartbeat but they have no place to go. Can't go to the PAC without football and the MWC was just a chip to leverage staying in the WCC with better terms. MWC really isn't much better than the WCC ... San Diego St. is good this year but Nevada has fallen off and the rest of the league is YIKES.

It will always be the same. Gonzaga will need to schedule a big pre-season schedule to make up for their lousy conference. They get it and get that they can't really change it. The rest of the world can crap on them for it but there's nothing that can be done really to fix it.
Totally spot on.

Read an article online this week that said 2 of the biggest factors in a team going deep in the tournament are defense and free throw shooting, much more so than offense. Does not bode well for a deep run but as you guys mentioned, the whole of the country is pretty meh so that could help offset their obviously problematic areas.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Duke losing to Clemson will swing enough first place votes back to Baylor that Gonzaga will slip to #2 next week.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3qhrneqj said:
Duke losing to Clemson will swing enough first place votes back to Baylor that Gonzaga will slip to #2 next week.
Maybe, GU has two good games this week against Santa Clara and BYU. If they win both its very possible they retain number 1.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Zags absolutely crushing SC right now. 58-22 at half pretty impressive.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Natethegreat":lotqmn5h said:
Zags absolutely crushing SC right now. 58-22 at half pretty impressive.
Their most complete game of the year, helped by poor shooting from SC.

Anton Watson done for the year tho. :(

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sucks about Watson -- hopefully Arlauskas can chew up some minutes. He looks pretty skilled. After him there really isn't anything. Zacharov isn't ready to play and probably should have red-shirted this year if injuries hadn't shorted the roster so much.

The 7 - 8 man rotation is still pretty damn good just can't afford to lose anyone else.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1vk51kv6 said:
Sucks about Watson -- hopefully Arlauskas can chew up some minutes. He looks pretty skilled. After him there really isn't anything. Zacharov isn't ready to play and probably should have red-shirted this year if injuries hadn't shorted the roster so much.
From what I've read today, Watson was most valuable on the defensive end, one of the team's best. Hope this doesn't become something chronic and that surgery takes care of it. From everything I've read he's quality kid.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Petrusev sprains his ankle, misses nearly the entire game but Zags still win by 23. Depth on this team is fantastic.
Good news is he has a week to heal as they don't play again til Sat. night

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like the sprain isn't a long-term deal. Agreed having Thursday off is fortunate.

The thing about their depth though -- right now it's basically 7 starters and maybe one other guy. There's nothing after that. They can't just sit guys down and expect to keep rolling. If Petrusev is out for a few weeks someone is going to jump up and put an L on the Zags.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Not sure how far you get with a 6 man rotation. Arlauskas looks to me like he should be able to eat some minutes but so far Few hasn't let him play much.

St. Mary's in 8 days. Getting Tillie back is probably the difference between a W and L that day.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":11wow232 said:
Not sure how far you get with a 6 man rotation. Arlauskas looks to me like he should be able to eat some minutes but so far Few hasn't let him play much.

St. Mary's in 8 days. Getting Tillie back is probably the difference between a W and L that day.
Tend to agree.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
This team is very good. I’d probably pick them or Baylor to win it all if the dance started today. Gonzaga needs to take advantage of this down season in college basketball. Expectations are going to be extremely high going into March. Anything less than a final four is a bust. At some point Few needs to win a championship, pressure is starting to build.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1ewbkb4k said:
This team is very good. I’d probably pick them or Baylor to win it all if the dance started today. Gonzaga needs to take advantage of this down season in college basketball. Expectations are going to be extremely high going into March. Anything less than a final four is a bust. At some point Few needs to win a championship, pressure is starting to build.
Disagree that pressure is starting to build. He's there with almost none as long as he wants imo. I felt last year was a bust not getting to the FF more than this year would be. Thought the same of Duke last year too. Do think they have a great shot at it this year though that free throw shooting could be the Achilles.

Hit 14 of their first 15 shots last night. That'll make for a coasting win.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":clmsjqoc said:
Hawk-Lock":clmsjqoc said:
Disagree that pressure is starting to build. He's there with almost none as long as he wants imo. I felt last year was a bust not getting to the FF more than this year would be. Thought the same of Duke last year too. Do think they have a great shot at it this year though that free throw shooting could be the Achilles.

Hit 14 of their first 15 shots last night. That'll make for a coasting win.

I meant pressure from the national media and fan base, not that he will lose his job. At some point hen needs to win a national championship. They are no longer a cinderella, Gonzaga is national powerhouse and should be treated the same as a UNC or Kentucky. Under Few they have been a 1 seed, three times, a 2 seed twice, and a 3 seed twice.

I honestly think Zags need to win a national championship soon. Fans probably feel the same. They are powerhouse, expectations for them are high. At some point they need to actually win one.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I live in Spokane and talk Zags with folks all the time.... I've never once heard anyone say that they need to win a championship. On the contrary, folks here legitimately appreciate what's happened the last 20 years. Sure -- getting to the top of the mountain would be amazing but in no way to I sense pressure from anyone.

There was some truth to the "never been to a final 4" gripe --- but after playing in the final game once and a couple of other elite 8 years that beef has quieted down.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2736evg7 said:
I live in Spokane and talk Zags with folks all the time.... I've never once heard anyone say that they need to win a championship. On the contrary, folks here legitimately appreciate what's happened the last 20 years. Sure -- getting to the top of the mountain would be amazing but in no way to I sense pressure from anyone.

There was some truth to the "never been to a final 4" gripe --- but after playing in the final game once and a couple of other elite 8 years that beef has quieted down.
My folks live there still and I grew up there and what you said is my impression of how things are from what I've read while over there and from likewise talking to area residents. I do think another Final Four would be fortuitous for continued national cache' and help in recruiting.

Latest posts