Happy for the win but...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JPatera76":1deiro3w said:
I feel the Dline was getting pressure and on all their replays they were, just gotta give credit to the Zebras for ignoring the tremendous amounts of holding that the Patriots literally got away with.

Not sure what game you were watching, but that was one of the worst games of the Pete Carroll era for D-line pass pressure play.

Cam Newton had over 10 pass plays where he got to his 3rd option, that's criminal for a defense.

The worst part is there is no answer, and it's gonna get even worse if Irvin is hurt and out for weeks.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We will need to bring back Griffin and just come to terms with the fact we will let ourselves be much more vulnerable to the run.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rat":35iqwb84 said:
balakoth":35iqwb84 said:
I love these posts.. we applied pressure almsot NONE for a reason....

You CANNOT be serious..

When it counts dline comes out

This forum is a joke sometimes

Is this a joke? I've never seen a team deliberately not put pressure on the QB. There's no way you can think that was part of some greater plan.

I have seen plenty of teams rush with control when faced with a running QB threat. It becomes as much about clogging running lanes as getting to the passer. Hard to pin your ears back against Cam. If he wriggles free, which he often does, he's off to the races.

I think the plan was controlled rushes and try to get Cam to beat you with his arm. Which he nearly did. Thanks to a heroic effort by Edelman who made some great catches.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3p6lpfe5 said:
The test will be against Dak. If Dak Prescott comes in here scoring 30 pts and 300 yds we will know this is all Norton and nothing to do with Bill or Dan Quinn being such amazing coaches.

Dak Prescott has a hell of an offense and has been playing really well. Just put 40 on the Falcons after losing 4 fumbles in the first quarter. No way I wouldn't expect him to put up 30 and 300 yards on any defense in the league (are there any good ones anymore?).

I think people need to recognize with all the rules handcuffing defenses over the years, 28 points is going to be the new normal for teams to give up. Gotta count on your offense scoring 30 or more most nights.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Just a side: 15 teams scored more than 30 points so far this week. Just the way the NFL likes it. Pete I think has realized this and decided that offense is how you win in Roger's Fantasy driven NFL. He just wants the D to make a few plays here and there.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
800+ yds in 2 games. That is horrifying....

No chance in doing anything in the playoffs if we do not fix that.

Maybe Quinn gets fired and we can make a change mid-season?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
2-0, stats don't win games.
But yes, they do have to stop giving up so many long pass plays w/out a doubt.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":onww5kg8 said:
Maybe Quinn gets fired and we can make a change mid-season?

I don't see how you've watch both of our games so far and think this is a coaching problem and not a personnel problem.

This is the worst D-line of Pete's tenure here, and it's not even close.

flv

Reaction score
September and October are about winning and staying healthy. Positions that struggle now can be good in January if they stay healthy and gel whilst opponents lose their edge.

Off-topic but I didn't like the 3rd & 1 call either. You make that call earlier in the game when yards matter. All that was needed was a 1st down. There were easier pass plays to convert.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
flv":12tk8pv5 said:
September and October are about winning and staying healthy. Positions that struggle now can be good in January if they stay healthy and gel whilst opponents lose their edge.

Off-topic but I didn't like the 3rd & 1 call either. You make that call earlier in the game when yards matter. All that was needed was a 1st down. There were easier pass plays to convert.

Some of this is on Carson. Why'd he slide down when it was the 2 minute warning anyway. Should have been 2nd and 1 or 2, not 2nd and 5.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Was wondering the same thing last night. He could have had a few extra yards had he just put his head down like he always does. Clearly he was just overthinking it and/or worried about clock. Instead of just running hard like he always does and getting a nice gain.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Mad Dog":x0432asn said:
I think people need to recognize with all the rules handcuffing defenses over the years, 28 points is going to be the new normal for teams to give up. Gotta count on your offense scoring 30 or more most nights.

When is 28 going to be the "new normal"? The league average was under 23 last year. The division winners allowed 12.2, 17.6, 24.1, 19.3, 22.1, 19.6, 21.3, and 19.4.

Only nine teams allowed more than 25 PPG last year. Four of them allowed 28 PPG or worse. They were the Dolphins, Giants, Bucs, and Panthers. Those four teams won an average of 5.25 games. If you're giving up 28 PPG, you're one of the worst teams in the league. If you're giving up much more than 20, it takes a miracle of 2011 Giants proportions to get in/through the playoffs and win a Super Bowl.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15bch7n9 said:
2-0, stats don't win games.
But yes, they do have to stop giving up so many long pass plays w/out a doubt.

This feels a bit like last year, exciting and getting early wins hoping the defense comes around. The offense is more exciting, and I'm hoping all these personnel improvements on the backend since Diggs came in make that jump this year. Would be nice if they can keep the Cowboys offense from hanging over 20 points on them next weekend with 400+ passing yards.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Ugly wins, though last night was a great game imo. Just a fun battle back and forth.
We should all be used to the heart attack games by now :irishdrinkers:

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":33sf26dz said:
Was wondering the same thing last night. He could have had a few extra yards had he just put his head down like he always does. Clearly he was just overthinking it and/or worried about clock. Instead of just running hard like he always does and getting a nice gain.
The thing is, if he does continue fighting there was the distinct possibility he could have been carried out of bounds with 2:01 on the clock, giving NE that free extra TO. I don't really fault him in that situation. Closer to the middle of the field, yes, keep fighting. But that close to the side line, get down and make NE choose between letting the clock run or burning a TO.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
1 sack (almost had another) plus 5 TFL's on top of the 3 sacks and 5 TFL's from the previous week isn't panic mode yet. Plus PFF has the Patriots O-Line ranked #7 this year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I hear ya Sutz, but with his power, I doubt he guts pushed out of bounds. Just my opinion. Oh well, we won the game. Even if it was in heart attack fashion. Ugly wins are still Wins

sutz

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2o7tgd5c said:
I hear ya Sutz, but with his power, I doubt he guts pushed out of bounds. Just my opinion. Oh well, we won the game. Even if it was in heart attack fashion. Ugly wins are still Wins
Indeed. :mrgreen: