Hypothetical Bears / Seahawks trade scenario, 2022 edition

FalconsFanNW

Reaction score
John63":bfzd6a70 said:
pittpnthrs":bfzd6a70 said:
If people around here are crucifying Wilson, Fields would be hind and quartered. I wouldnt take the trade because I dont think Fields will ever be anything other than mediocre. He's from Ohio State for cripes sake.

This^^^

… and before that he was a non-starter at the University of Georgia. There was a reason for that… although the Fields leg humpers will say he wasn’t given a proper opportunity. Then he transferred to Ohio St. and played the race card to avoid having to sit out a year… I bring this up because the other Bulldog non-starter Jacob Eason ( from here in WA… recently claimed by the Hawks off waivers) who also lost the job to Jake Fromm transferred to UW and he DID have to sit out a year.

Lost all respect for Fields after he pulled that… and wish upon him nothing but NFL mediocrity. :mrgreen:

LTH

Reaction score
keasley45":zbmu3noi said:
Without this turning into a bash thread, wanted to throw out a hypothetical scenario that *might actually be realistic...

So last year, the Bears were hot for Wilson, but we refuse their offer. Three first round picks, a third rounder and a player or players is what they were willing to surrender.

FF a season and they drafted a rookie starter with a ton of potential, but mixed results - a pick initiated by the outgoing regime with no guarantee that given the rest of the holes on the team, will show fruition in the coming year.

So let's say whoever the new Bears HC is comes in and decides he doesn't want his future tied to the success of a 'prospect' and wants to choose his own guy... and that guy is Russ.

If the Bears offered us Fields and 2 first rounders ('22 and '23) and a 3rd (this year), would you take it or not?

And this assumes, not predicts, that Russ has played his last game here.

This isn't meant to devolve into a, ' russ doesn't want to leave... whoever wants Russ traded is dumb, etc etc etc' session.

It assumes a hypothetical scenario where him leaving is a foregone conclusion for the sake of discussion.

I think the Hawks need a QB that can make all the throws, that is mobile and doesn't turn the ball over. I was very curious to see How Geno would have played vs GB.

Fields meets most of that criteria.

The Hawks have the talent on O so that a QB doesn't have to be lights out they just need to be good and able to execute big plays... but most of it is in decision making...

So I guess it would just depend on How Carroll and JS feel about Fields ...

Would I make that trade? No because I haven't given up on Wilson.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":1izrp35d said:
I think the Hawks need a QB that can make all the throws, that is mobile and doesn't turn the ball over. I was very curious to see How Geno would have played vs GB.

Fields meets most of that criteria.

The Hawks have the talent on O so that a QB doesn't have to be lights out they just need to be good and able to execute big plays... but most of it is in decision making...

So I guess it would just depend on How Carroll and JS feel about Fields ...

Would I make that trade? No because I haven't given up on Wilson.

Justin Fields cant make all the throws and he's thrown 10 interceptions to his 7 TDs. How is that meeting most of your criteria?

History and stats tell us that the QB does need to be lights out for Pete Carroll coached teams. He has a below .500 winning percentage without Russell Wilson. What more proof do you need?

chris98251

Reaction score
You guys miss the most important aspect of a successful QB, measurables are nice, arm strength is a bonus, you can use more of the field with them.

You can't use any of them successfully repetitively if the QB doesn't have the intellect and processing power to make decisions faster than average people, then there is the it factor rising up and pulling up the play of those around him.

You can see guys that have the IT factor, you can't explain it the heart, never say die, they are winners in no win scenarios, they take the Kobayashi Maru and beat it regularly.

That is what you look for, Wilson has that but is handcuffed by an offense that doesn't allow him to play to his strengths, as well as control him enough to play the short game till the long game is there.

Montana had it, Farve, both Mannings to a lesser degree Eli then Peyton, Hass had it, what Holmgren seen in him with less physical skills, Stabler had it, Young had it also. You know it when you see it but can't explain it really.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Meh to Justin Fields.
Tyler Huntley, YES, Gardner Minshew YES.

I think Minshew in particular would be a good fit in the Waldron offense. Minshew won games in *Jacksonville*.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
olyfan63":vghvvqzc said:
Meh to Justin Fields.
Tyler Huntley, YES, Gardner Minshew YES.

I think Minshew in particular would be a good fit in the Waldron offense. Minshew won games in *Jacksonville*.

What is this fascination with Gardner Minshew with a lot of people. The guy isnt good enough to stay on the field for Jacksonville or the Eagles and thats the guy people want under center for Seattle? I'll just never understand that one.

kf3339

Reaction score
Why would anyone want Fields? He looked like crap this year and seriously doubt he will any better than mediocre as a starter and more than likely a backup and gone from the NFL in 4-5 years.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
No to Fields. Bears screwed up by trading up and drafting him.

KinesProf

Reaction score
keasley45":2qvhh2u4 said:
If the Bears offered us Fields and 2 first rounders ('22 and '23) and a 3rd (this year).

It doesn't feel like enough, especially with the Bears not having a 1st round pick in 2022 to trade.

xray

Reaction score
So many experts on rookie QBs. Look up these rookie losers when you get a minute . Troy Aikman--John Elway--Terry Bradshaw--Peyton Manning . All had total chit rookie seasons . Just saying you never know in year 1, especially QBs.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
xray":15t16usn said:
So many experts on rookie QBs. Look up these rookie losers when you get a minute . Troy Aikman--John Elway--Terry Bradshaw--Peyton Manning . All had total chit rookie seasons . Just saying you never know in year 1, especially QBs.
Josh Allen was bad as well. I think if a QB isn't showing you want you need to see in the film room by end of year 2 or in year 3, they don't have it. Of course roster talent and coaching negligence aside.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
xray":m9lwhhg7 said:

Besides chitty rookie seasons, what else do they all have in common? Overall number 1 picks. That ain’t happening until a.) the Seahawks have a first round pick and b.) they suck so bad that they lose pretty much every game. BTW, there have also been overall number 1 picks who never produced and ended up as huge busts. Draft picks are not a guarantee to success.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Why go for Fields who’s broken and get Rodgers instead? 3 year 150 mill

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
To take this theoretical conundrum to the next level, what about the Giants 2× top 10 picks, their number one next year and Daniel Jones?

Latest posts