Is Russell truly a HOF QB as of right now?

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":1elntjph said:
toffee":1elntjph said:
Ok, I am a Russel Wilson Homer. I have no doubt in my mind that Russ is a first ballot HOF if his career ends today. If his career continues for a few more years, or a decade as Russ predicted. Would he still be a HOF is hard to tell.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Depends on his trajectory, also depends on guys like Mahomes, Tannehill, and others where their career goes, problem is with rules gawdy numbers are easier to get, be in the right system and get say 2 trophies and a MVP that can push Wilson way down, remember he has 1 MVP vote total ever.

Today yes possibly, 5 or 10 years, this is a popularity contest many times and accomplishments, Trophies MVP Consistency and headlines. The media has a hard time remembering 10 years ago, and he would have to wait a total of 15 years or so if he played another 10.
My thought exactly.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

RiverDog

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2zbk06zi said:
Also, Aikman is in. Russ is guranteed. It's not just superbowl wins, because then that is saying Emmitt Smith, micheal Irvin, offensive line and hella good defensive players did nothing. That is why the qb wins crap is overrated. Team game guys not and individual player stat.

Plus just compare russ to Aikman. Most awards are a popularity contest.

Aikman has 3 rings and a SB MVP. A more egregious selection would be Kenny Stabler with one ring and a SB MVP.

None of us can rightfully say that a gold jacket is "guaranteed" or a "slam dunk." It all depends on who's voting. I would have never thought that a player like Drew Pearson would have ever made it to the Hall, but he did. And I thought that Terrell Owens was a slam dunk on the first ballot, but it took him 3 tries before they voted him in. Bottom line is that our personal opinions don't matter. The committee doesn't ask for our input.

Quarterbacks play at the most statistically quantifiable position in the game. They're also the most popular when it comes to MVP trophies. Russell has some of the things the committee generally looks for, including a ring and 8 Pro Bowls. But he doesn't have any league/SB MVP's, no All Pro selections, and isn't top 10 in any of the major statistical categories.

In my opinion, Russell needs to pad his resume by getting a league MVP, a SB MVP, an All Pro selection, or accumulate more stats like passing yardage and touchdown passes to the point where he's in the top 10 in those categories to cap off his career and make it on the first ballot. They're going to be comparing his numbers/trophies to guys like Brees and Rodgers.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Sb rings aren't a single factor for hall of fame. They are additionals. Aikman stats compared to Russ aren't top 10 either.

If super bowls and mvps were that important. Marino wouldn't be in. But he is still talked about as one of the best ever.

Russ is guranteed. I will bet you at this moment several years later.

RiverDog

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":31qm59zu said:
Sb rings aren't a single factor for hall of fame. They are additionals. Aikman stats compared to Russ aren't top 10 either.

If super bowls and mvps were that important. Marino wouldn't be in. But he is still talked about as one of the best ever.

Marino was the league MVP in 1984. He had 3 All Pro selections and some gaudy stats, like the all time leader in passing yardage when he retired, that made up for his lack of a ring. Same with Dan Fouts, who also doesn't have a ring.

I disagree. Rings are a big part of the criteria. They're not the most important nor are they a requirement, but they are attributes that are in the top 3 or 4 items that committees look at. It's why Troy Aikman is in and Dave Krieg and Vinny Testeverde aren't.

There are some players, Joe Namath being one, that are inducted for an off the resume reason. In Namath's case, it was his personality at a time that the league was in transition just before the merger, the guaranteed win in the SB, and so forth, that got him elected. Someone mentioned a similar off the resume factor for Russell, that being his height, that he cleared the way for a player like Kyler Murray to be given a shot. I'm not sure that's going to resonate with the committee, but you never know.

I'd gladly take you up on your bet, but the problem is that Russell's career isn't over. We're talking about if he is "truly a HOF QB as of right now". It would be impossible for either of us to claim victory.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":2uqnbbku said:
jamescasey1124":2uqnbbku said:

Marino was the league MVP in 1984. He had 3 All Pro selections and some gaudy stats, like the all time leader in passing yardage when he retired, that made up for his lack of a ring. Same with Dan Fouts, who also doesn't have a ring.

I disagree about the rings. They are a big part of the criteria. They're not the most important nor are they a requirement, but they are attributes that are in the top 3 or 4 items that committees look at. It's why Troy Aikman is in and Dave Krieg and Vinny Testeverde aren't. If Eli Manning makes it in, it will be on the strength of his two rings and SB MVP's.

There are some players, Joe Namath being one, that are inducted for an off the resume reason. In Namath's case, it was his personality at a time that the league was in transition just before the merger, the guaranteed win in the SB, and so forth, that got him elected. Someone mentioned a similar off the resume factor for Russell, that being his height, that he cleared the way for a player like Kyler Murray to be given a shot. I'm not sure that's going to resonate with the committee, but you never know.

I'd gladly take you up on your bet, but the problem is that Russell's career isn't over. We're talking about if he is "truly a HOF QB as of right now". It would be impossible for either of us to claim victory.

Tokadub

Reaction score
[youtube]otzlgdUq8AE[/youtube]

Go to 14:10 into that youtube video and see the startling data proving Wilson is the worst QB in the league in a statistical category known as "How Quarterbacks have performed when expected to pass in 2021".

Wilson is DEAD LAST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE FOR PLAYS WHEN THE QB IS EXPECTED TO PASS IN 2021!

If he continues like that he could very well not make the hall of fame, that's unacceptably terrible play.

We can put part of the blame on the coaches but it's still pathetic individual performance from Wilson.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I did a little research on non HOF quarterbacks, both active and retired, and their overall ranking as measured by total passing yardage:

1) Tom Brady, 82k 2) Drew Brees, 80k 5) Phillip Rivers, 63K 6) Ben Worthlessburger, 63K. 8) Matt Ryan, 58K 9) Eli Manning, 57K. 10) Aaron Rodgers, 53K. 13) Mathew Stafford, 48K. 15) Carson Palmer, 46K. 16) Vinny Testaverde, 46k. 17) Drew Bledsoe, 44k. 19) Joe Flacco, 41K. 20) Kerry Collins, 41K. 23) Dave Krieg, 38K. 24) Boomer Esiasan, 37K. 25) Donovan McNabb, 37k. 26) Matt Hasselbeck, 36K. 27) Alex Smith, 35k. 28) Russell Wilson, 35K.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... career.htm

It's just an FYI that I felt should be part of the discussion.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Tokadub":2ku8aqr1 said:

Go to 14:10 into that youtube video and see the startling data proving Wilson is the worst QB in the league in a statistical category known as "How Quarterbacks have performed when expected to pass in 2021".

Wilson is DEAD LAST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE FOR PLAYS WHEN THE QB IS EXPECTED TO PASS IN 2021!

If he continues like that he could very well not make the hall of fame, that's unacceptably terrible play.

We can put part of the blame on the coaches but it's still pathetic individual performance from Wilson.

Although it's not fair to blame it all on Russell, he's also ranked dead last amongst starting quarterbacks on 3rd down completion percentage, completing just 35.1% of his passes:

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/n ... rt=passpct

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Tokadub":ytk5cxn6 said:

As usual you don't know what you're talking about, you're one of a group of Russ Haters that have been muted over the years, but now have slithered back in with your venomous posts. I still remember those ridiculous RUSS IS TOO SHORT!! posts that kept making its way onto this board.

So any chance you get at trashing Russ is one you grab gleefully, ignoring the obvious points that we have awful pass protection, poor play calling, an inadequate running game, receivers who drop passes that are put right in their hands, and silly penalties that kill drives. But hey, if makes you feel better to insist it's all on Russ, go ahead. Scream and yell about how RUSS IS THE PROBLEM!! if that makes you feel better.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1o4gmic7 said:
Tokadub":1o4gmic7 said:

As usual you don't know what you're talking about, you're one of a group of Russ Haters that have been muted over the years, but now have slithered back in with your venomous posts. I still remember those ridiculous RUSS IS TOO SHORT!! posts that kept making its way onto this board.

So any chance you get at trashing Russ is one you grab gleefully, ignoring the obvious points that we have awful pass protection, poor play calling, an inadequate running game, receivers who drop passes that are put right in their hands, and silly penalties that kill drives. But hey, if makes you feel better to insist it's all on Russ, go ahead. Scream and yell about how RUSS IS THE PROBLEM!! if that makes you feel better.
Russ is too short to do some things other QB's can.
Mr."Unlimited is Limited"open your eyes.
The legs that hid most of his issues
no longer do so.

John63

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1yo1c8x5 said:
Tokadub":1yo1c8x5 said:

What made me feel better is foeing the morons. I don't have to read their bs. There not real fans anyway. Can't be a real fan whe you revel in one of your players struggling.

flv

Reaction score
Here's are only 4 former NFL players with 9 ProBowls who have been retired for 6 or more years and who aren't in the HoF. Everyone with 10 or more is in. Most of those in the HoF have fewer ProBowl appearances.

Wilson has 8 ProBowls in 9 years. Short of something non-football related happening he's in, but if he retired after this season he might have to wait a few years once he's eligible.

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":ryac0b8p said:
Tusc2000":ryac0b8p said:
Tokadub":ryac0b8p said:

What made me feel better is foeing the morons. I don't have to read their bs. There not real fans anyway. Can't be a real fan whe you revel in one of your players struggling.

This is pathetic, now you're the only type of Fan that's real because everyone else isn't doing fellatio on Russells penis, anyone that has a view of him having issues is a Moron, very few are reveling in this, most are looking at the big picture, Petes age, the lack of resources going forward, lack of draft capital going forward, assets we have that could turn the team around faster in a rebuild.

You know football stuff that isn't Russell Wilson exclusively.

Now I know you Foe almost everyone that disagrees with you so you won't read this, but just a statement of your obsession and how you become intolerable of anyone having a different view of Wilson then you.