It's Time

CelticWolf12

Reaction score
Give Pete credit and his due as he brought the Seahawks to the Promised Land! Also, give Pete & John (although I really don’t know who makes the final call) credit for this years draft class because it is thus far outstanding! However, just like 99.99% of every other NFL coach, the league has passed him by. It is a far more offensive centric, complex and fast twitch league than just 7-10 years ago.

With that said, from my perspective, this season was never about W & L, but more about how they win and how they lose. It’s hard to win in this league with two rookie offensive tackles and other rookies at key positions, but this plan was orchestrated by Pete (I just don’t know the power dynamic between Pete & John and who has final say). Pete promoted Hurtt. Pete “switched” to more of a 3-4 concept defense. He shopped for the groceries and he cooked the meal!

This defense was awful last year and is horrible this season. It sucked with Jamal Adams and it stinks without him. The Seahawks have been gouged for the last few years in the running game. The defensive line has been manhandled for the past 3 seasons.

Yesterday’s game was a pathetic embarrassment! Pete Carroll & Co. received a beat down AT HOME against a division rival with zero answers against a team starting their third string QB! Our defense made Purdy look like a seasoned vet. Let me guess, the plan was to run the ball and play field position? I’m pretty sure San Fran knew exactly what was coming!

With that said, this should be the year change happens. The Seahawks will have lots of FA $$$ and several high first, second and third round draft picks. They need to hire a modern competent NFL coach such as Sean Payton and let him bring in his people to run the show. Give the Saints a draft pick and be done with it! Let the new coach evaluate every position including QB, where there will be several free agents available (Jackson, Huntley, Smith) or draft the position. Bring in a proven winner who can actually design a potent, unpredictable and innovative offensive and a REAL defensive coordinator to fix this thing.

Its time!

Go Hawks!!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I just dont know what people expect from Pete Carroll anymore. Its crazy that there are still people convinced he will get the team back to the promised land. Nuts I tell you.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Agreed, @CelticWolf12.

Pete was great back in the heyday, but it looks pretty obvious that the rest of the division (at a minimum) has adapted and passed him by, and IMO, he's showing that he's either failing to, or flat-out unwilling to adapt to a changed world, and I'm being very kind here by using those words.

The only reason IMO that the Seahawks are 2nd in the division is because the Rams are decimated with injuries, and the Cardinals just can't seem to get out of their own way, which guarantees 2nd place to the Seahawks by default. It's up to them to get over that hump and take 1st place, and that just didn't happen this year.

One thing I'm scratching my head over is that there was all this talk about this year being a rebuilding year for the Seahawks, but I and some others in my social circle aren't so sure if Pete's ego is willing to fully embrace the suck for a year or two, go into full tank mode, do a proper rebuild and establish a new core group of players. Just seems a little too patchwork/band-aid for my liking, but that's just me.

Yes, they have the draft capital from the Russ trade among others, and I get it that you don't want to waste the best years of Lockett and DK, but at some point, there's a decision that has to be made: Do you want to plan for sustainable success, or do you want to be the team that's perpetually not that bad, but not that good either (see: Tennessee)?

Mindless effort and giving it 110% from players only goes so far. Eventually you're going to need sound strategy to get over .500 and get taken seriously by the rest of the league.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The switch to the 3-4 was because, like you said, the league became more offense/passing friendly because that's what they think will bring in fans/revenue.

So the Seahawks tried to "adapt" and account for this. This is why they went light against a team like Tampa, who they thought would throw all over the yard. The problem is teams the Seahawks faced decided they wanted to run the ball instead.

Tampa, Vegas, Carolina, SF. Ground and pound into submission.

Even when they try to stack the box, it doesn't matter when they don't have the talent. When you immediately get blown off the line and can't get off blocks, you are dead in the water.

When you can't stop the run, you have no chance. It doesn't matter how good the offense is if they don't have possession.

Front seven needs to be the #1 priority in the offseason.