Jalen Carter should be a must have

seabowl

Reaction score
Carter, in my opinion is the most valuable player in this draft for the Seahawks. He’s insanely disruptive and consistently takes two blockers. In my opinion, there is no way he lasts until five and we would need to trade up to get him but I think he’s worth it. He reminds me of what Cortez did after we got him and we needed to trade up to get him as well (8th and 10th pick for the 3rd puck). Just do it!!!!

knownone

Reaction score
If Tyree Wilson were not in this draft, I might agree with you on trading up for Carter. Wilson is less refined currently, but he has the upside to be the best defensive player in this draft.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
I am not as sold on him as I used to be. IMO his lack of conditioning is a red flag which I compare to lack of self motivation which could be a product of him being naturally better than everybody else while growing up
Maybe but that’s against college level competition. When he moves up to the NFL, he’s gonna realize there’s many big boys like him in the league and he will need to push himself to be better than them. We haven’t had that kind of presence on the line since Cortez Kennedy. I believe he’s worth trading up for.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Maybe but that’s against college level competition. When he moves up to the NFL, he’s gonna realize there’s many big boys like him in the league and he will need to push himself to be better than them.
I'd put the likelihood of that happening at a definite maybe.

Last thing we want to do with the #5 overall pick is select another Malik McDowell.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I've been watching Jalen Carter film and I'm not 100% sold on the guy. I've been hearing Seahawk fans and Seahawk pundits describe him as a "once in generation prospect". I got curious and looked at some of his film that I can find. I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about.

He's playing on a D-Line that is absolutely stacked with NFL caliber talent for one. All of those guys as "top billin" would put it give the opposing offenses some prison loving. Jalen didn't really stand out among all of those guys as a "omg must have".

He definitely looked really winded at times and at others he just didn't have the motor that you would expect of a top tier talent. He wasn't in on as many snaps as I would have thought as well.

He's not a bad player per-say, I just don't look at him as ever being an Aaron Donald sort of player. He also didn't exactly put up fantastic numbers when you compare him to other top tier defensive line prospects from previous years.

I'm torn on the idea of Jalen Carter. I think he's in the category of risky pick at 5. He's not a slam dunk at all. He's just as much of a question mark as the top tier QB's in this draft. He's not a once in a generation prospect, in fact I'd suspect he'd go later in the draft if this were a year with a better D-line class.

Something else that we need to mention here is the combine. It could be that Carter goes much later than expected due to a poor combine showing. The projected top 5 will look VERY different after the Senior Bowl and combine is done with.

I could easily see both Carter and Anderson falling. Anderson's elephant in his room is his size. Can he retain his level of athletiscm if he puts on 10 pounds? He looks a little lighter than his list weight.

The combine will prove to be a very interesting time this year. We also know that Carroll loves his SPARQ guys. I think we should get a much clearer picture about what we might do during the combine.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score

Last thing we want to do with the #5 overall pick is select another Malik McDowell.
If Malik McDowell didn’t turn his brain into soup, he could’ve been a great player. We just don’t know. Yeah he took plays off at Michigan state, but the rest of the team sucked so that might have hurt his motivation. When he turned it on he was a man among boys.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If Malik McDowell didn’t turn his brain into soup, he could’ve been a great player. We just don’t know. Yeah he took plays off at Michigan state, but the rest of the team sucked so that might have hurt his motivation. When he turned it on he was a man among boys.
It also came out that Malik McDowell also supposedly had some of the worst interviews that some execs say they've ever witnessed at the combine. Everyone in the NFL draft has potential, whether or not they reach their potential is the golden question. I think he had much deeper issues than just simply motivation if what they're saying is true.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
We need to find this year's Aidan Hutchison. That guy has a motor that never stops. Carter isn't even close when it comes to that type of energy level.

Chevy

Reaction score
Maybe but that’s against college level competition. When he moves up to the NFL, he’s gonna realize there’s many big boys like him in the league and he will need to push himself to be better than them. We haven’t had that kind of presence on the line since Cortez Kennedy. I believe he’s worth trading up for.
Are you sure he's gonna realize he actually needs to push himself or is he going to do what he has shown to this point...relying on athleticism and not having adversity in his college career.

I was so excited about him at the beginning of the college season, then I saw him gassed his first couple of games. I thought I'll wait on that early gassed ding on him early in the season. Then low and behold other draft people saw it as well late in the season. IMO, he was born with a golden spoon in his mouth.... big, uber athletic, and with the work ethic of a 5-year-old.

If he falls out of top-10, then yeah, I would want him. But IMO he needs a strong vet D-lineman to show him what hard work is to become a legit professional stud in the NFL.

getnasty

Reaction score
Arizona's gonna really have to do something stupid for Carter to be there at 5.
I could easily see a team moving up to draft a QB Arizona's spot. I actually think Anderson or Carter will be around at 5.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
carter can definitely be available at #5. all it takes is chicago trading down from #1 to #6-9 and AZ picking anderson jr.

but likely? no, probably not.

BASF

Reaction score
Not sold on him after watching him a bit.
I'll tell you something, watching the OSU/Georgia game to watch Carter, the person I was sold on is center Luke Wypler. Every time he went against Carter one on one (it was only four reps) he stoned Carter. He worked very well against the stunts. He handled the blitzes very well from the linebackers. He only lost two reps against Nazir Stackhouse one on one in the run game, where Stackhouse is almost always doubled in the run game against other teams. He also handled Stackhouse's bull rush very well. He pulled a few times effectively on runs. He was a bit late on the two screens that OSU tried, but mostly it was because he was being pushed on by Georgia's very good defense. When Stroud got out of the pocket, Wypler was looking for someone to block even though Stroud was already past him. Their other linemen pretty much stood there watching Stroud run. I would not be opposed to taking him in the third round. The biggest knock on him is that he needs to get stronger, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score

Last thing we want to do with the #5 overall p
We need to find this year's Aidan Hutchison. That guy has a motor that never stops. Carter isn't even close when it comes to that type of energy level.
Arizona's gonna really have to do something stupid for Carter to be there at 5.
IF qb’s go 1-2 they may pick Anderson and Indy MAY pick a qb

CPHawk

Reaction score
The more film I watch on Murphy, the more I want him as a Hawk.

Ozzy

Reaction score
His conditioning a deep dive into production for interior guys has me a little concerned with him. I’ve said it before but every other guy similar to him drafted in the top 5 has double and triple the production he’s had. That worries me. I know he would help massively but if he can’t generate production is he that much better than a guy you can get at 20 or in the second if he ends up an average production guy?

He’s maybe the most talented player in the draft so with good coaching I think he can be a monster. Seattle isn’t known for that

Latest posts