Jalen Carter should be a must have

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I like Bresee he reminds me of a more athletic Greg Gaines and could anchor the NT/DT for a decade. Do I like him at 5? Not sure yet. Might trade back and still get him

BASF

Reaction score
The difference between the two is important though. I equate Carter with Tez, while I equate Bresee with Joe Nash. Both played very well and were strong anchors for our defense for what they were. I want the Tez at five. I would want Nash maybe in the late first or early second.

I get the trepidation with Carter. I have been watching his videos way too often lately. The thing is that he already has the quickness/first step that you want. He already has the hand fighting down. He doesn't need to be taught technique. The desire is definitely there to make plays. The main question is whether or not he will do what Mazi Smith did for himself with the nutritionist and improve his life style to maximize his potential. I consider the Seahawks to be a pretty good environment to cultivate that with Carroll's insistence on mental and physical health for his players and what they have available.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
The difference between the two is important though. I equate Carter with Tez, while I equate Bresee with Joe Nash. Both played very well and were strong anchors for our defense for what they were. I want the Tez at five. I would want Nash maybe in the late first or early second.

I get the trepidation with Carter. I have been watching his videos way too often lately. The thing is that he already has the quickness/first step that you want. He already has the hand fighting down. He doesn't need to be taught technique. The desire is definitely there to make plays. The main question is whether or not he will do what Mazi Smith did for himself with the nutritionist and improve his life style to maximize his potential. I consider the Seahawks to be a pretty good environment to cultivate that with Carroll's insistence on mental and physical health for his players and what they have available.
Solid points, nicely put.

Ozzy

Reaction score

Agreed his talent is through the roof.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I get the upside. But if you're drafting upside for which there is nothing but traits (yet to be seen really) to show for it, then you're not talking about a top 15 pick.

Jordan Davis we passed on last year at 9. Carter isn't even in Davis' area code. Undoubtedly he's not going to test as well as Davis. Won't have Davis' production. Won't have his size. Doesn't have his pedigree. Why would we now consider Carter? Let some other team try to make something out of him. I wouldn't even compare him favorably to Jonathan Allen when he came out of Alabama. And he went 17th overall.

Carter isn't in the same class as a Quinnen Williams or a Jordan Davis. But the expectation taking him high will be there. He's a potentially good player. But definitely not transformational. There are multiple guys that will be available at 20 that will be every bit Carter's peer. Very hard pass.

The rush ends in this class are also kind of meh on tape. It's not a horrible class. But it's definitely not littered or even sprinkled with top tier talent. Any edge player taken in the top 10 is like getting a middle 10 player in any halfway decent draft class.

Plenty of teams reach for need. Getting quality players should be the goal in R1. Cross would have been a top 5 pick in this class. Jordan Davis would be the first defensive player taken in this class, and have a shot at going first overall. This class doesn't have the blue chip talent at edge/line or O line. Only the blue chip price.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The 2012-2015 Seahawks had Brandon Mebane. He was a solid but not elite DT. If he can produce and take up the middle like Mebane did, that would be great. Let the guys around him free to get after it. Mebane did that for Avril, Bennett, Wagner, and the rest. Carter is great but he's going to be gone by #5 (just my gut feeling) unless he really blows the senior all star games or the combine. Even at that I think Chicago has him targeted at #1.

I've been watching Gervon Dexter. He's a guy that if the Seahawks trade down, to watch for. His play reminds me a lot of Fletcher Cox. Cox wasn't the biggest guy but was a monster in the middle.

The closest guys to Jordan Davis in this draft, in my opinion, are Siaki Ika, Keeanu Benton, and Mazi Smith. Mazi Smith would be a terrific NT. He's currently listed as 2nd round/3rd round pick but I think he will shoot up the board after the combine.

Last edited:

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I get the upside. But if you're drafting upside for which there is nothing but traits (yet to be seen really) to show for it, then you're not talking about a top 15 pick.

Jordan Davis we passed on last year at 9. Carter isn't even in Davis' area code. Undoubtedly he's not going to test as well as Davis. Won't have Davis' production. Won't have his size. Doesn't have his pedigree. Why would we now consider Carter? Let some other team try to make something out of him. I wouldn't even compare him favorably to Jonathan Allen when he came out of Alabama. And he went 17th overall.

Carter isn't in the same class as a Quinnen Williams or a Jordan Davis. But the expectation taking him high will be there. He's a potentially good player. But definitely not transformational. There are multiple guys that will be available at 20 that will be every bit Carter's peer. Very hard pass.

The rush ends in this class are also kind of meh on tape. It's not a horrible class. But it's definitely not littered or even sprinkled with top tier talent. Any edge player taken in the top 10 is like getting a middle 10 player in any halfway decent draft class.

Plenty of teams reach for need. Getting quality players should be the goal in R1. Cross would have been a top 5 pick in this class. Jordan Davis would be the first defensive player taken in this class, and have a shot at going first overall. This class doesn't have the blue chip talent at edge/line or O line. Only the blue chip price.
I would hope Carter out performs Davis I see Davis as more of a run stuffer who takes up blocks the most tackles he had in any 1 game was 4 against Jacksonville. Will Carter become another Georgia DT that can’t stay on the field due to being poorly conditioned?

BASF

Reaction score
I realize reading Attyla's post that I have never actually said how I would play Carter. I do not see him as an Al Woods replacement/improvement on Bryan Mone. I want him as an improvement on Shelby Harris (who will probably be a cap casualty if he doesn't get an extension) and vast improvement on Ford/Jefferson/Collier. I still want a nose tackle preferably in the second round. We need talent up front, especially if we keep this bastardized Clint Hurtt defense (please, may he be fired), and Carter as that monster 3-4 DE that makes everyone else around him better because he demands double teams is what I am looking for.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Something else that we need to mention here is the combine. It could be that Carter goes much later than expected due to a poor combine showing. The projected top 5 will look VERY different after the Senior Bowl and combine is done with.
Yeah, it's fun to talk about this stuff now but the top 4 on draft day last year were not the top 4 from that January. Walker was still in the 20s (or lower) at this time last year and went #1 overall. Maybe we do get Jalen Carter but with our pick at #20.

I bet more than the typical amount of Hawks fans are going to be watching the combine this year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I realize reading Attyla's post that I have never actually said how I would play Carter. I do not see him as an Al Woods replacement/improvement on Bryan Mone. I want him as an improvement on Shelby Harris (who will probably be a cap casualty if he doesn't get an extension) and vast improvement on Ford/Jefferson/Collier. I still want a nose tackle preferably in the second round. We need talent up front, especially if we keep this bastardized Clint Hurtt defense (please, may he be fired), and Carter as that monster 3-4 DE that makes everyone else around him better because he demands double teams is what I am looking for.
Great post. I agree with your assessment of where Carter would fit in the Seahawk defense. They still would need to find a NT.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
The more film I watch on Murphy, the more I want him as a Hawk.
Watching highlights is one thing, watching all his tape is another. He had an ok year last year, not top 10 material with his 2022 play.

BASF

Reaction score
Watching highlights is one thing, watching all his tape is another. He had an ok year last year, not top 10 material with his 2022 play.
This is an excellent point. I was watching highlights of a Florida linebacker that made him look pretty good. Then I was watching highlights of one of their defensive linemen and saw how little the linebacker was doing on a lot of plays. It could be that Florida had him in the read and react method of linebacking, but he seemed almost uninterested during some plays.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
Yeah, it's fun to talk about this stuff now but the top 4 on draft day last year were not the top 4 from that January. Walker was still in the 20s (or lower) at this time last year and went #1 overall. Maybe we do get Jalen Carter but with our pick at #20.

I bet more than the typical amount of Hawks fans are going to be watching the combine this year.
This, I've been waiting for this. I think we're all going to be pretty surprised at which players get picked in the first round. Perfect example?

Cole Strange ending up as a 1st round pick when the "great" Sean McVay thought he'd be available with pick 104 overall in round 3.

That's why I think the Hawks will nab Ika with the 20th overall pick and not risk getting him in the 2nd which he's projected to go.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
There is always at least a few surprises in the draft. I come from the camp if there is a player you really want and feel he won’t be around with your next pick forget about” draft value” and just pick him

Last edited:

QWERTY

Reaction score
We need to find this year's Aidan Hutchison. That guy has a motor that never stops. Carter isn't even close when it comes to that type of energy level.
Hutchison did shit against Georgia OL

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Hutchison did shit against Georgia OL
What does that matter? Hutchison had a great year for the Lions. The kid doesn't stop and he's only going to get better. I'm just saying that Carter doesn't have the motor that Hutchison has.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I could easily see a team moving up to draft a QB Arizona's spot. I actually think Anderson or Carter will be around at 5.

Then we better hope Levis and/or Stroud have a hell of their pro days.

Because unfortunately two of the four teams ahead of us don't need QB's, which makes it highly unlikely Carter will be there at 5.

I also think from what Schneider said last week about the #5 pick and salivating about never having this kind of opportunity to really use it's full leverage and power? That tells me he's dying to grab more high picks by trading down.

The good news is there's really no bad outcome here. Either we get a game changing elite player, or we drop down and get a king's ransom of much needed players to infuse into key positions like we did last year.

Chawker

Reaction score
We have great flexibility in this years draft, I like the idea of a taller DT like Dexter, Carter or Bresee. Passes knocked down should be consider in any DT drafted.

Bigger DE like Wilson and Harrison I like, they play with power and speed.