Jalen Carter

ivotuk

Reaction score
Every player says they want to be in the Hall of Fame.

The statement that makes me think that he will work out is "I want to go down as the best and highest-paid defensive lineman in history."

That's real motivation right there...BUT, that was Albert Hanesworth's motivation. He tore it up the last year of his rookie contract, but Tennessee wouldn't reup him. Leave it to Dan Snyder to give him a huge contract, then watch him get fat, get lazy, and get cut.

His statement when signing his huge contract: "I don't want Bust attached to the name of Hanesworth." LOL! I think you did buddy.

Germanhawk7

Reaction score
Every hour we are getting closer to the draft im thinking that we are trading down. And i hate that scenario

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I'm not trying to pursuade you of anything. I just know he's fairly connected and seems to get a lot of stuff right. Maybe you're biased because you want Carter? I have no clue who they draft but other than a couple of outliers most are saying Seattle is out on Carter at 5. It could easily all be a part of their plan and they sprint to the podium to draft him, I guess we will see.
Fairly connected? He is not even slightly connected. Staton is less than a talking media head. At least guys like Salk have some connections, have conversations with Pete or John or other Seahawks staff, and have cohosts and guests with backgrounds in the sport. Staton is a guy who watches youtube videos and spouts his opinions. He has never played, coached, or scouted professionally at ANY level.

And, as to getting some stuff right, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while. If you spout off enough nonsense, something you say will eventually be right. He is wrong, and spectacularly wrong at that, far more often than he is right or even in the ballpark of right. Blowhard is too soft of a term for someone as loud obnoxious and frequently wrong as Staton.

Think about who you get information from to form your opinions, is it taking heads (Mike Salk, Cowherd, Staton, and others) who have never played coached or scouted professionally whose main job is to get clicks or drive ratings, or is it the analysts who know the sport and have coached played or scouted professionally? One group is paid to drive ratings and get clicks, the other is paid for their knowledge and expertise as football and/or draft analysts. Why would anyone form opinions based on the rating whores rather than the analysts? It blows my mind.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
It's gonna be a good day, no matter what.

Carter.
Salary cap.
Edge.
Center.
It's not going to matter until August 29th, so enjoy!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Staton is fairly connected and has proven it over the years. He's buddies with Nagy and Pelisero two guys are are well respected.

Not sure why listening to interviews with Nagy for example and take something from it blow anyone's mind but to each their won.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Every hour we are getting closer to the draft im thinking that we are trading down. And i hate that scenario
I'm torn because they've always talked about never getting the chance to pick that high but it does seem like an off year in some regards to be picking that high. Hopefully they have someone they fall in love with and they make it to 5.

Ozzy

Reaction score
49er evidence 1A and 1B, Javon Kinlaw and Solomon Thomas:cry:
Yep perfect example. Even last year everyone wanted Walker, Davis, Thibs etc and none made a major impact in year one and probably half of the guys taken in the first will either bust or perform way under expectations. Quarterback isn't that much harder to scout anymore than other positions....they're all hard.

GemCity

Reaction score
No source, just logical conclusion from the evidence.
Odds are, you’re right. That could and should have a significant impact on him.

I’m just saying, you never know though…

Wasn’t trying to come at you. We’ll know what PC and JS think about it tonight.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You are assuming its as simple as one just overruling the other as opposed to a collective decision reached together after I would assume, hours of discussion
Sure, but at the end of the day Pete has the final say over everything. If he really wants a player, he can circumvent anything JS wants.

bileever

Reaction score
49er evidence 1A and 1B, Javon Kinlaw and Solomon Thomas:cry:
Defensive linemen have a 35% bust rate among those picked in the first round, almost as high as QBs, 40%.

bleacherreport.com/articles/2441018-which-positions-are-the-safest-riskiest-at-the-top-of-the-nfl-draft

This is based on the last 25 years, so a pretty big sample size. Strangely enough, the lowest bust rate among first-rounders are for safeties and centers.

Weadoption

Reaction score
It’s such a beautiful game of power and speed, but I often wonder if some draft busts are simply an inability to overcome the physical pain and mental grind factor day in day out of what it means to be an even above average NfL starter.
My cousin in law played starting guard for the NY Giants for i think 5 years, and i know part of it for him has the grind and being away from home all the time. Was like being a highly paid soldier. Once he had set up his family, he got out to save his body.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
But also Deforest Buckner and Nick Bosa.

All draft picks carry risk, even top 10 picks. But only one position group sets your entire organization back 4-5 years if you pick the wrong one, QB.
Not really, AZ picked Rosem then turned around and picked Murray. They are hosed now because they extended Murray, not because they drafted 2 QBs in the top 10.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not really, AZ picked Rosem then turned around and picked Murray. They are hosed now because they extended Murray, not because they drafted 2 QBs in the top 10.

Arizona sucks, you're making my point. In fact, BECAUSE they swung and missed on two consecutive bad QB's is why they're picking in the top 5 once again.

I just can't imagine a 71 year old coach is going to use the highest pick he's ever had in his tenure on a QB who won't be ready for years.

That's a 1st year young coach risk, not a 71 year old coach move who's trying to get back to a SB before he retires.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Arizona sucks, you're making my point. In fact, BECAUSE they swung and missed on two consecutive bad QB's is why they're picking in the top 5 once again.
No, they failed on the 1st QB, Rosen and moved on quickly and made the playoffs. The problem they have is they just extended Kyler and he doesn't want to put in the work to be great (sounds familiar??). If Kyler was playing like he did early on in his career, they would still be a competitive team.

Weadoption

Reaction score
as a niner fan, i’m more worried the Hawks hit on a QB more than anything else.
Wilson came out of nowhere and put my team to sleep for a decade. An absolute Niner destroying machine.
But ya, not looking forward to facing Jalen Carter either, he very well could be a monster.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No, they failed on the 1st QB, Rosen and moved on quickly and made the playoffs. The problem they have is they just extended Kyler and he doesn't want to put in the work to be great (sounds familiar??). If Kyler was playing like he did early on in his career, they would still be a competitive team.

But he's not, and they did extend him. So again, your making my point.

They did not find their long term QB picking #1, and are now starting over...........again.

Pick a bad D-lineman or other position group, it doesn't set your franchise back. I'm not saying don't draft a QB, but you better be damn sure he's your QB of the future, because there's no margin for error with the most important position on the team. Or you end up like bad franchises like Arizona hiring and firing coaches/GM's and starting over.

GemCity

Reaction score
If we base our picks on PCs age and not balance, development, and potential….we won’t do very well in the long run.

This team is at LEAST two years out from being competitive enough to win a SB.

#InBeforeTheFUYoureNotARealFan

That’s the reality.

Latest posts