Jay Glazer reports Brock Purdy is now the 49ers permanent starter

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Looks like Stinky G and Trey “Britney G” Lance are both backups. Stinky G will probably go to the Jets is my guess in free agency. Trey Lance has negative trade value

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Purdy has been pretty dang consistent. I don't think he's exceptional, just better than the other two at running that extremely good offense.

GemCity

Reaction score
Frodo you never fail to disappoint

Personally I was concerned at qb going into this season with Lance at qb. Then when we signed Jimmy I thought at least we have insurance.

When Jimmy went down I was defeated . We were screwed. But Purdy has been a revelation

Purdy has statistically been the best qb in the league during his span. Yes better than mahomes statistically.

I don’t give a rats ass about the draft capital we gave up. It’s a sunk cost. Gone no matter if Lance panned out or not. But now Purdy has panned out so we have a qb. No matter what we have a qb that will work

The draft capital expenditure is done after this year even with the cmc trade. We have a full suite of picks in 2024. We have money to spend on free agents. The only position we are aged at is LT.

Frodo I will make a bet right now that 49ers will finish with a better record than Seahawks in 2023. Put your money where your mouth is. 100 usd . You are so confident this is the end for SF prove it. You didn’t take the bet when I offered it at the start of the season this year.

Seahawks have questions once again a qb. Will they draft a qb or sign geno? And their defense needs to hit on 3 players to be in the same league as us. WR, RB corners , safety , some pieces on online. But major deficiencies at DLine , LB. My suspicion is it will take 2 years
Ummmm, excuse me 49er fan. You are wrong.

We need to hit on at least 7 defensive players 😂

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Kudos to the niners for not falling for fallacies of sunk cost.

Meanwhile in Seattle LJ Collier still has a roster spot. 😳

They didn’t have a choice this season. Pretty much, the die is set. They play Trey hard in preseason highlighting these qb Rush plays and Moon balls Trey was supposed to be awesome at to see how ready Trey is to come in if/when Brock gets hurt.

If Trey is awesome they’ll Jordan Love him. If not they’ll just keep him as a developmental with a Ufa in the mix like Mullens and Bethhard.

There will be scant opportunities for Trey to star in national branded commercials, nor will he be heavily promoted by the 49ers Twitter About his Christmas presents. Must

knownone

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how Purdy does going forward. So far, he hasn't been asked to do much besides manage the game.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
But to his credit, the kid hung in there today and sometimes the going was pretty tough. He didn't win the game but he didn't lose it either. Shanahan helped keep him afloat with a few in-game adjustments but I felt he could have done even more to keep Dallas from pinning their ears back. But maybe he's saving that stuff for Philly. Hopefully, cuz that game will be brutal.

49ersNFCWsBest

Reaction score
As he should be.

Trey Lance will be the back up. His contract dictates this.

Jimmy G will be wearing a Jets or Raiders uniform or possibly a Dolphins jersey before next September.

94Smith

Reaction score
Ummmm, excuse me 49er fan. You are wrong.

We need to hit on at least 7 defensive players 😂
Nah. Still have Jamal adams and a good secondary. Hit on a linebacker , stud de and solid d linemen . Sign good veteran free agents. Get a good scheme going

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Extremely lucky dropped pick in the red zone by the Cowboys defender or we might be having a very different discussion today.
Several blown opportunities. The better team won, but Dallas gave that game away.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Nah. Still have Jamal adams and a good secondary. Hit on a linebacker , stud de and solid d linemen . Sign good veteran free agents. Get a good scheme going
This is the most intelligent thing you’ve said. Btw congrats on the win over Dallas. I keep telling Cowboy fans that Dak isn’t the guy and they keep getting disappointed lol

Vesuve

Reaction score
Frodo you never fail to disappoint

Personally I was concerned at qb going into this season with Lance at qb. Then when we signed Jimmy I thought at least we have insurance.

When Jimmy went down I was defeated . We were screwed. But Purdy has been a revelation

Purdy has statistically been the best qb in the league during his span. Yes better than mahomes statistically.
Purdy - so-called "Mr. Irrelevant" at being the 262nd and final pick in the draft just RE-AFFIRMES my skepticism of first-round QB draft picks.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Seeing how he looked against the Cowboys, I don't think the Brock Purdy phenomenon will be a lasting one. For now the team is so good and the stars have aligned for him.

I think eventually he turns out a lot more average than everyone expects right now. Hell in the Dallas game his QB rating was under 90, which is average. The sad thing if I turn out to be correct, is they lose Jimmy G when he was playing great, and probably could be counted on to be consistent for a few more years.

Gambling on Purdy might end up being a mistake. He might not fare so well against good defenses, and when everything around him isn't running so well. Being our division rival that's how I'm calling it, and of course hope I'm right.

It's just way too small a sample size of his play, against too weak of teams to make such a gamble.

I mean yeah I see valuing him over Lance, but Jimmy G, it's a tougher call.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
But yeah, I'm saying it now. If you give it all to Purdy, you're gonna be looking for a QB again in 1-2 years. When that comes to pass, remember you heard it here. Totally calling it now.

Just not a Purdy believer. Not that I think he'll be bad, just I don't think he will in the end, be a top ten QB long term. There's a reason he was drafted last. My hat will be off to him if I'm wrong, but I've seen this before, we all have.

Remember Matt Cassel?

94Smith

Reaction score
Doesn’t every Qb look average against good defenses ? Pull up Brady’s , tagovailao , Herbert’s and Genos stats against our d. All top 10 qbs this year. Mahomes was the exception

bileever

Reaction score
Brock Purdy is for real. Credit to the 49ers for getting him in the 7th round. As for Trey Lance, the 49ers had the draft capital to take the chance on him. They accumulated it through some lean years:

2015: 5-11
2016: 2-14
2017: 6-10
2018: 4-12

Those multiple years of sucking led to getting Arick Armstead, DeForrest Buckner, Deebo Samuel and Nick Bosa. Two of those years, 2017 and 2018 were Shanahan years. But they also used high picks during that time to draft Josh Garnett, Dante Pettis, Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster. They could afford to whiff on some picks because they had so many chances. Of course, they also hit it big with lower round selections like Purdy and George Kittle (5th round).