Ken Norton has to go

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
[/quote]
I understand, but you don't blitz against belichick with Brady. Cam Newton isn't exactly......Tom Brady, with that pin point accuracy. Newton couldn't lace Brady's cleats.[/quote]

No no homie...your looking at it all wrong. Newton played better than brady tonight. Didnt you hear colllinsworth say Edelman had his best game stat wise tonight recieving yards wise. That says alot! All those years with brady and tonight he recieved the most yards in game he has ever had. Crazy! He is known to get open, but we literally could not cover their only known threat. Tell me how many times they ran? I cant tell you but it seemed very minimal. We literally planned for the pass and couldnt stop it. No pass rush, but no true coverage either. We should have blown them out. I even started our defense in fantasy thinking we were about to get back to dominant defense. Holy shit was I wrong. We cant cover receivers or get to the qb.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
I understand, but you don't blitz against belichick with Brady. Cam Newton isn't exactly......Tom Brady, with that pin point accuracy. Newton couldn't lace Brady's cleats.[/quote]

No no homie...your looking at it all wrong. Newton played better than brady tonight. Didnt you hear colllinsworth say Edelman had his best game stat wise tonight recieving yards wise. That says alot! All those years with brady and tonight he recieved the most yards in game he has ever had. Crazy! He is known to get open, but we literally could not cover their only known threat. Tell me how many times they ran? I cant tell you but it seemed very minimal. We literally planned for the pass and couldnt stop it. No pass rush, but no true coverage either. We should have blown them out. I even started our defense in fantasy thinking we were about to get back to dominant defense. Holy $h!t was I wrong. We cant cover receivers or get to the qb.[/quote]

If the Hawks generated even a little pressure it would have rattled Newton, but nope, Newton sat back there all day picking apart are so called elite secondary. They need to start blitzing those linebackers a lot than they are instead of dropping all 3 of them into coverage all the time and rushing 3 D-linemen. I wish this could be like madden. I would Dump Norton in a heartbeat and use the Ravens Defensive playbook. I like the ravens D, I wish we can play D like that.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
We play 3 quarters with our 3rd string safety after spotting the opposition a 7 point lead, an unbelievably bad scenario for any team to overcome, & still win & we have posters calling for the DC, & maybe even the head coach, to be fired?

JFC, this place.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not a Nortan fan but with that dline there isn't much you can do. They can't play man late with zero pressure from their front 4 and they're forced to create pressure with your safety. They have to get some pressure. Why Alton isn't suiting up when you're getting zero pass rush after claiming he was one of the better pass rushers on the team is tough to understand.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":3btrjypc said:
We play 3 quarters with our 3rd string safety after spotting the opposition a 7 point lead, an unbelievably bad scenario for any team to overcome, & still win & we have posters calling for the DC, & maybe even the head coach, to be fired?

JFC, this place.
It's not just this game. It's last week as well, and as a matter of fact the entire last year. Norton needs to go back to a LB coach or something. Norton is a garbage DC he was bad in Oakland as well, and thats why he got fired. They were bottom of the barrel in every defensive category, so I'm not blaming the players completely on this. Yes they need to play better, but they also need a DC who knows what the hell they are doing, and that's where it starts.

RCATES

Reaction score
hawks85":3ku8g4iq said:
I have to vent. Norton is such a garbage DC. We have to try someone else. 2 weeks in a row where we get roasted, and I'm sick and tired of it. When a Safety is your leading Sacker your Defense has major issues. No F'ing pressure at all. I'm not even gonna blame the players for this. Norton has a track record of being absolutely terrible as a DC. It was the same way in Oakland as well. Bottom of the barrel in every defensive category. Norton has to go plain and simple. If Adams wasn't on this team we would be 0-2.

So its Norton's fault JS/PC jacked around all off-season and didn't address the pass-rush?

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
RCATES":1u7uzori said:
hawks85":1u7uzori said:
I have to vent. Norton is such a garbage DC. We have to try someone else. 2 weeks in a row where we get roasted, and I'm sick and tired of it. When a Safety is your leading Sacker your Defense has major issues. No F'ing pressure at all. I'm not even gonna blame the players for this. Norton has a track record of being absolutely terrible as a DC. It was the same way in Oakland as well. Bottom of the barrel in every defensive category. Norton has to go plain and simple. If Adams wasn't on this team we would be 0-2.

So its Norton's fault JS/PC jacked around all off-season and didn't address the pass-rush?
They had Clowney last year and they still were terrible. It's not the players....completely. Norton has to step down and let someone else have a crack at being a DC.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Somewhere in this thread I thought I'd see a mention of having our pro bowl safety disqualified in the 1st quarter, and his backup go down with an injury in the 2nd quarter. But noooo....

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You would think, but you can't really be shocked right? More time is spent talking about how horrific this D is. Instead of actual REASONS that the Patriots started moving the ball better. They are 2-0, but but but but.....they gave up a ton of yards..…

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
Jerhawk":iwh1h1ak said:
I think the players on the d line are more to blame than Norton but I see where you're coming from.
They need to do twists and stunts on that d-line, kinda the same thing as what SF did last year. All we do is rush 4 and drop the 3 LB's into coverage. Norton needs to get creative, and I'm telling you the D will improve.

RCATES

Reaction score
Tusc2000":ryd4o4bv said:
Somewhere in this thread I thought I'd see a mention of having our pro bowl safety disqualified in the 1st quarter, and his backup go down with an injury in the 2nd quarter. But noooo....

Kinda a moot point when they were all healthy last week and the D gave up 500+ to Matt Ryan. Its a major problem going forward. If nothing changes Hawks will be again an early exit from the playoffs.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
hawks85":wf483pb8 said:
Jerhawk":wf483pb8 said:
I think the players on the d line are more to blame than Norton but I see where you're coming from.
They need to do twists and stunts on that d-line, kinda the same thing as what SF did last year. All we do is rush 4 and drop the 3 LB's into coverage. Norton needs to get creative, and I'm telling you the D will improve.

I've called John to recommend you as our new DC. You obviously have it all figured out.

#clownshoes

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
2-0...that's great I'm happy. Almost 1 and 1 by 2 yards. Your underrating how bad the defense is and that it could effect our standings or wins in general. I guess you'll care then.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
People want Richard back? Just no. He was a bad DC too. He lived off Quinn’s strategy and the Seahawks had tremendous talent. He had LOB secondary, Wagner and Wright at lbs, and Bennett, Avril, Mebane, McDaniel on the DL. Richard wouldn’t fare any better than Norton with this team. Besides it’s Pete’s defense....always has been.

chris98251

Reaction score
This is Petes defense, Norton does a lot of calls on game day but the game plan and approach is Petes, no coincidence that we go deep prevent almost whenever we have a lead. That being from the beginning.

Sac

Reaction score
Honestly, I think if we had guys on the D line that could do the minimum we'd be singing Norton's praises.

Right now it's damned if you do, damned of you don't.

We need playmakers on the D line.

TraderGary

Reaction score
chris98251":qm2z8wss said:
This is Petes defense, Norton does a lot of calls on game day but the game plan and approach is Petes, no coincidence that we go deep prevent almost whenever we have a lead. That being from the beginning.

Exactly, and it's why after we went ahead by 2 scores with around 4 1/2 minutes left, I told my brother this game is far from over. It was for the very reason you stated, and this has gone on since the PC era began. I'll never understand why he doesn't see the obvious flaw in that strategy.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
hawks85":369wpv24 said:
RCATES":369wpv24 said:
hawks85":369wpv24 said:

They had Clowney last year and they still were terrible. It's not the players....completely. Norton has to step down and let someone else have a crack at being a DC.

That's because they had nobody across from Clowney and nobody in the middle, not because Clowney was AT ALL considered to be enough DL help. That's why we also signed Ansah, who busted for us.

The last time we had what would be considered league-standard defensive line talent for an entire season was 2015.

themunn

Reaction score
Well we opened weeks 1 and 2 against former MVP quarterbacks, so I'm hopeful that's one of the reasons why we got off to a slow start, particularly since offenses have looked strong across the league.

It was a bit disappointing to see Alton Robinson as a healthy scratch, and I expect Taylor's rookie season is going to go the way of Collier's given he's been unable to practice since joining the team.

I do think that with Green back in the rotation, and hopefully Griffin getting promoted, that we should have a better game against the Cowboys, but they've got another tough test against a strong offense and O-Line coming up, so probably relying on Russell to magic our way to a win again.