Ken Norton has to go

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1y4htdh1 said:
Ken Norton did not have bottom 6 defensive talent last year.

He did up front. Clowney was gimpy most of the time, Ansah was worse, Reed decidedly did not duplicate his 2018 performance, and nobody else was worth mentioning.

OP
OP
H

hawks85

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":366pdhzv said:
TwistedHusky":366pdhzv said:
Ken Norton did not have bottom 6 defensive talent last year.

He did up front. Clowney was gimpy most of the time, Ansah was worse, Reed decidedly did not duplicate his 2018 performance, and nobody else was worth mentioning.

I stand corrected and I apologize. Looked at the stats again and didn't realize Falcons and Pats threw a combined 90 something passes against us. It's the highest in the league and explains all the pass yards. Our D still needs work tho. Hopefully Norton will find his inner creative being.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Hard to replace a defensive coordinator two games into the season.

We probably wouldn’t be as bad if the front four has more talent.

Coaches call plays, but talent wins games.

In this instance, the front 4 needs more talent.

Unfortunately, we are low on talent in the defensive line.

No coach can turn water into wine with the players in this front four.

Clearly, the winning recipe this year is for the offense to win a majority of the games.

Who else agrees with me?

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":3anpnmdy said:
When it comes to schemes where the DC could do something different:

1. I know teams will run plays to get mismatches and spring guys open but once he started getting big yards, was there anyway Norton could have taken Edelman away and force Cam to go elsewhere?

2. What was it about our coverage that gave up such big chunk plays when that's what's the D should have been defending? Was it all due to things breaking down in the back end due to lack of pressure?

Thanks for this post with good questions that lead somewhere. I don't really have the answers, but these are the types of questions we should be measuring a DC against.

1. There were 2 receivers hurting us, Edelman and the other dude, forget his name. Definitely take away Edelman. It's not like teams haven't tried this, and maybe we were trying and failing. Especially down 2 DBs. Against a dude that should be a 1st ballot HOFer.

2. The big chunk plays in the passing game... no Quandre Diggs for starters. And for sure no pass rush also.

Next man up, and sometimes it's a big dropoff, but not sure how any of this is directly an indictment of incompetence on Norton's part.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":39xppz0l said:
These types of threads always confuse me, and they did before too when people were calling for Cable's head, or Bevell's, or Kris Richards, or heck even Pete's back in the day.

They confuse me because;

1. We're 2-0 and one of the odd's on favorites to get to the SB
2. The time to switch coordinators is in the off season when you have the most time and the most candidates to choose from, vet out and decide on.

You certainly don't fire your main coordinator mid-season, unless you're 2-8 and you've lost the team and need to light a fire under everyone, including your staff.

But 2-0, winning and the only candidates you'd have to choose from is.........wait for it.............inexperienced position coaches on Norton's staff.............who would..........wait for it..............coach like Norton.

Huh?

BA HAHAHAHA!!!