Let This Sink In...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What is more concerning is that the Seahawks are now somewhere between the Browns and the Bengals.

Every year we keep Pete, we will get closer to the Bengals than the Browns.

Pete won't improve this team recordwise. The 12 wins themselves were an illusion. This was a team that won the division in the same way that a runner wins a race because the other runners trip and fall before the finish line.

There were 2-3 extra wins baked into our schedule this year because of injuries and being fortunate to get the NFC East as your opponent for 1/3 the year. Maybe even 2-4.

This was probably a 9 win team, no matter what Parcells said. It played like an 8 win team and coached like a 6.

No surprise the moment we went into the playoffs against better coordinators, better coaches, and a better defense - we were done.

I don't think Carroll has it in him to be better than this. This is probably as good as the team will look for the rest of the time he is here. He is clueless in adjusting and I think approaching that senility threshold where you cannot come up with new ideas anyway.

He will lose some good players and then find some good players to replace them. He builds rosters and develops talent.

But the slow slide to mediocrity is coming and I don't think Wilson can save us from it. I also don't think there will be much of Wilson left when Pete leaves. So this is the peak.

I cannot see him outcoaching any other coach in the playoffs and making the playoffs will become less and less likely. That is just the reality of it.

The Seahawks were great for a short time, very good for a long time, and now somewhat good but trending down.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
OrangeGravy":24s3ckqo said:
Sgt. Largent":24s3ckqo said:
LoneHawkFan":24s3ckqo said:
If you're inferring that Russ isn't as talented as most have been led to believe, I tend to agree with that. .

I'm the one who got kicked in the nuts all last week for saying Russell isn't as good as the other elite QB's in the league like Rodgers and Brees.

He's in the next 1b tier of QB's, QB's that can jump up and play at an elite level in flashes like we saw at the beginning of the year............but also can stink up the joint for stretches of games, also as we saw this year.

He needs a great defense, he needs a great run game in order to back the defense off so he can do what he does best, play action and make explosive plays. He doesn't throw on time well, he holds the ball too long and has a very difficult time throwing into windows while in progression.

So yeah, we love Russell but is he worth 35M a year if he's never going to take that next step to truly becoming a consistent elite QB week in and week out to carry this team to another SB under Pete's offense?

Eh, I'm not so sure about that.
The problem isn't that he isn't worth 35M, because he is when compared to other QBs and their pay. The problem is that QBs in general eat up way too much of the cap on a 53 man roster. When the market forces you to either pay 35+M for a top ten QB or 20-28M for an average QB, it's a no win situation. The market has basically reduced the league into needing a good enough QB on a rookie deal to have a legit chance to win it all. The only other option is to convince a HOF QB to take a pay cut. If you pay market value for any QB, you're pretty much left with hoping the stars align.

You can pay your QB 35M a year if that QB is consistently elite year in and year out, game in and game out and you can depend on him to never play worse than 80% of his capabilities.

If those QB's don't play lights out 80%+ of the time? Then you lose, because yes there is no elite defense stacked full of talent to bail him out........or O-line with four All Pro's on it to take over in the run game when your franchise QB is off for 4-5 games in a row, or during a playoff game where he looks completely lost.

That's where we're at with Russell. This team is not good enough for him to play poorly, or even average for that matter. Russell balls out, we win, he doesn't? We lose.

THAT'S what paying your QB 35M a year means.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":380ukmxd said:
OrangeGravy":380ukmxd said:
Sgt. Largent":380ukmxd said:
LoneHawkFan":380ukmxd said:
If you're inferring that Russ isn't as talented as most have been led to believe, I tend to agree with that. .

I'm the one who got kicked in the nuts all last week for saying Russell isn't as good as the other elite QB's in the league like Rodgers and Brees.

He's in the next 1b tier of QB's, QB's that can jump up and play at an elite level in flashes like we saw at the beginning of the year............but also can stink up the joint for stretches of games, also as we saw this year.

He needs a great defense, he needs a great run game in order to back the defense off so he can do what he does best, play action and make explosive plays. He doesn't throw on time well, he holds the ball too long and has a very difficult time throwing into windows while in progression.

So yeah, we love Russell but is he worth 35M a year if he's never going to take that next step to truly becoming a consistent elite QB week in and week out to carry this team to another SB under Pete's offense?

Eh, I'm not so sure about that.
The problem isn't that he isn't worth 35M, because he is when compared to other QBs and their pay. The problem is that QBs in general eat up way too much of the cap on a 53 man roster. When the market forces you to either pay 35+M for a top ten QB or 20-28M for an average QB, it's a no win situation. The market has basically reduced the league into needing a good enough QB on a rookie deal to have a legit chance to win it all. The only other option is to convince a HOF QB to take a pay cut. If you pay market value for any QB, you're pretty much left with hoping the stars align.

You can pay your QB 35M a year if that QB is consistently elite year in and year out, game in and game out and you can depend on him to never play worse than 80% of his capabilities.

If those QB's don't play lights out 80%+ of the time? Then you lose, because yes there is no elite defense stacked full of talent to bail him out........or O-line with four All Pro's on it to take over in the run game when your franchise QB is off for 4-5 games in a row, or during a playoff game where he looks completely lost.

That's where we're at with Russell. This team is not good enough for him to play poorly, or even average for that matter. Russell balls out, we win, he doesn't? We lose.

THAT'S what paying your QB 35M a year means.

Russell didn’t even play lights out 50% of the time. Last 10 weeks were a downward spiral

Sac

Reaction score
The Browns offensive line is vastly superior to ours. We've been ignoring this position group for far too long.

Optimus25

Reaction score
How come this time of year sucks in the extremely low post count types who have little insight on anything besides dead horse beating negativity?

And secondly why do you just assume Cleveland has a worse roster? Baker isn’t russ, got it, but their roster is extremely talented and the product of analytics, cap space and draft capital.

Latest posts