My McVay/Rams theory

Vesuve

Reaction score
pehawk":2lnnjwk1 said:
So, I have a crazy theory on what model the Rams will be using to build their team. I think the Rams are going to implement a, and the, great experiment. They're gonna follow a model long discussed but never implemented out of fear by GM's and HC's.

I think the Rams are never going to pay their QB. I think the Rams are going to always have a rookie or cheap QB and will NOT resign Goff.

McVay's system makes QB's almost irrelevant. McVay has gifted Goff the best OL, best skill position group, best RB, and best scheme to make easy throws over the middle. On top of that McVay LITERALLY makes the calls for Goff, telling him his read right before the headset turns off at 15 seconds. He doesn't need an elite QB to make that offense click...but he cant have an elite QB and stars everywhere else. So, Goff wont be resigned and McVay will probably draft a QB next year then sign a cheap, Keenum type bridge guy.

I am excited to see the experiment. And I do, somewhat, root for it to succeed, because I think it'll make the game better. Just not against the Hawks.

Anyway, love you.

Sincerely,

Flipper Anderson
After 2020 we'll find out, when Goff's contract expires.

This year the Rams will gor far and we know about recent big money QB contracts.....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
A lot of this will come down to how much money Goff wants.

If the Rams had a top tier QB (and I don't think they do) I think there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that they wouldn't resign him. That would be the test of this theory, but I don't think we'll get to see it, because even in a vacuum IMO Goff is fine but is a replaceable player.

TBF I also don't think I'm as sold on McVay as the rest of the league is. There's a piece of me that wonders if he's the 2019 version of Chip Kelly taking the league by storm in his first couple years, or if he can develop and adapt.

If McVay keeps on running his entire offense out of a single formation and spamming the same five or six concepts over and over again as he has been, that's Chip Kelly, and the league will catch up.

If he can develop a curve and changeup to go with his fastball he might end up being the offensive genius that everyone has already touted him as.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3n82newx said:

If the Rams had a top tier QB (and I don't think they do) I think there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that they wouldn't resign him. That would be the test of this theory, but I don't think we'll get to see it, because even in a vacuum IMO Goff is fine but is a replaceable player.

TBF I also don't think I'm as sold on McVay as the rest of the league is. There's a piece of me that wonders if he's the 2019 version of Chip Kelly taking the league by storm in his first couple years, or if he can develop and adapt.

If McVay keeps on running his entire offense out of a single formation and spamming the same five or six concepts over and over again as he has been, that's Chip Kelly, and the league will catch up.

If he can develop a curve and changeup to go with his fastball he might end up being the offensive genius that everyone has already touted him as.

That's where we part ways. McVay dumbed down his QB position so much he doesn't need to spend crazy cash or capital.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1pte2lsq said:

I'll give McVay credit inasmuch as McVay runs his team like an NFL coach instead of Chipper's obsession with the college game. His offensive style completely killed his defense, and McVay doesn't have that issue. Not to mention, Pete Carroll put the blueprint out on stopping Chip Kelly in 2014 when Seattle held a Chip Kelly offense to it's lowest total yards since Kelly was at New Hampshire (139 offensive yards). Before that game, Kelly's record was 19-9. From that game forward, it was 7-12 (with the Eagles, if you add his season in SF, it goes to 9-26, but the 49ers were talent starved, which I think mitigates how bad Kelly was there).

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2zxj8dij said:

Goff is approaching top 10 QB status. I'm not sure what that means to people, but that's probably a fair evaluation of where he is.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment about him in a vacuum, but the following players are in the same category:

Stafford
Newton
Eli Manning (entire career)
Dak
Garrapolo
Watson
Carr
Winston
Mariota
Foles

These are all guys whose performance doesn't match the money they'd get. The difference is that the Rams have better offensive talent than all of those teams, so the idea of replacing Goff is more enticing.

Now having said all that - I am not opposed to replacing him. The only QBs I would pay "QB money" are Rodgers, Brees and Brady though.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1hc3fsnv said:
Popeyejones":1hc3fsnv said:

Goff is approaching top 10 QB status. I'm not sure what that means to people, but that's probably a fair evaluation of where he is.

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment about him in a vacuum, but the following players are in the same category:

Stafford
Newton
Eli Manning (entire career)
Dak
Garrapolo
Watson
Carr
Winston
Mariota
Foles

These are all guys whose performance doesn't match the money they'd get. The difference is that the Rams have better offensive talent than all of those teams, so the idea of replacing Goff is more enticing.

Now having said all that - I am not opposed to replacing him. The only QBs I would pay "QB money" are Rodgers, Brees and Brady though.

3vKJqc7.gif

Goff is NOT top 10. He's shown almost no ability to shoulder the team in the clutch (73.6 rating, 2 TDs, 2 Ints in 4 postseason games), and when Gurley is hurt, which is becoming a bigger concern with his arthritis diagnosis, he looks lost. I would take Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Wilson, Luck, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Newton, and Foles over Goff. In a heartbeat. And probably Watson, too, because his play feels less like the sum of the talent around him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maulbert":10qudfm3 said:
Goff is NOT top 10. He's shown almost no ability to shoulder the team in the clutch (73.6 rating, 2 TDs, 2 Ints in 4 postseason games), and when Gurley is hurt, which is becoming a bigger concern with his arthritis diagnosis, he looks lost. I would take Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Wilson, Luck, Ryan, Roethlisberger, Newton, and Foles over Goff. In a heartbeat. And probably Watson, too, because his play feels less like the sum of the talent around him.

Either were guys like Garoppolo, Smith, Cousins, Flacco, Foles, Carr, etc when they signed their big extensions.

If you're a good starting QB in the NFL, you're going to get paid, by someone. Maybe McVay will balk at giving Goff a monster extension.............especially if Goff plays this year like he did in the SB after Belichick gave the entire league the blueprint on how to frustrate and confuse Goff.

I'm also of the mindset that McVay doesn't want to extend Goff if he doesn't have to, but if Goff has another year like he did last year, he's gonna want Russell Wilson money.

original poster

Reaction score
To be fair he said ‘approaching top 10’, that’s a very fair statement in my opinion.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
I just wonder if Belicheck put a blue print out on McVay/Goff. Goff tanks under pressure. So jam the thunder out of his recievers and blitz all day.

SuperMan28

Reaction score
Agree on trading rather than paying Goff. I also put Prescott in that category.

xray

Reaction score
The " evil genius " Belichick exposed the Lambs offense ; so any team with a good defense should be able to really slow down their offense this season . The question still remains ; do the Hawks have a good enough defense to do what the Patriots did to take back the division ?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
original poster":15aipdfr said:
To be fair he said ‘approaching top 10’, that’s a very fair statement in my opinion.

Thank you.

And to even further clarify, I'm not saying I believe that he is. I put a ton of stock into a team's supporting cast, and there are a lot of QBs that could have gotten the Rams to the Super Bowl last year.

But by how most people seem to quantify QBs, there's no doubt that he's close to being top 10. I think PFF ranked him as the 7th or 8th best last year.

The Rams won 13 games last year (ugh I despise using wins as a QB stat)

His other rankings:

TDs - tied for 6th
YPA - 4th
YPC - 3rd
Passing yards - 4th
Passer rating - 8th
4th quarter comebacks - 3rd
Game winning drives - 4th
QBR (garbage ESPN stat) - 10th

A lot there to support him being top 10 if someone were inclined to argue on his behalf.

Maulbert

Reaction score
SuperMan28":2q85874v said:
Agree on trading rather than paying Goff. I also put Prescott in that category.

You're not going to get an argument about Prescott from anyone here. His play is directly proportional to the talent around him. Without Elliot and Cooper, he's a high quality backup.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":o0amq8hj said:
Well, imagine Russ on that team. His numbers would be next level ridiculous.
Goff is quite overrated.

I agree that with Wilson the Rams would have probably gone 16-0 and won it all last year.

But he's got a LOT more experience than Goff. I think Wilson was quite overrated when Seattle won the Super Bowl, just as Brady was overrated when they won their first few Super Bowls - the talent/coaching around Wilson (and Brady) was insane.

But ironically enough, some Seahawks fans were arguing that he was a top QB, and most of that had to do with how many games they were winning.

I'm not arguing that for Goff - I'm aware of how much the talent around him has impacted his numbers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":317hl16p said:
Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.

Similar to Goff last year, several QBs could have led them to both of those Super Bowls.

He's a top QB NOW - but during those years, he was not. Dude threw five INTs in the NFC Championship game and it was a game Seattle somehow won.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3jifor6e said:
SoulfishHawk":3jifor6e said:

Similar to Goff last year, several QBs could have led them to both of those Super Bowls.

He's a top QB NOW - but during those years, he was not. Dude threw five INTs in the NFC Championship game and it was a game Seattle somehow won.

He threw 4, and 3 were deflected by Jermaine Kearse. And in overtime, he threw back to back 35 yard passes on the last two plays of the game. We don't win that game with at least 85% of the starting QBs in the NFL. Most would fold like a cheap suit after that last pick.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love when someone tries to pull out the "but he threw a bunch of picks in the NFC Championship" Yeah, that's pretty much the ONLY game in his career where he's come close to that. AND, 3 of them were on Butterfingers Kearse. They always were down 16 with 5 minutes left and he took that team on his back, period.
His blatant refusal to give up, along w/his ability to close out a game is among the best of all time.
But some on this particular page flat out refuse to EVER give him credit for any of it. It's all because of the Defense and the running game :roll: