My McVay/Rams theory

Maulbert

Reaction score
justafan":1s31ox97 said:
You have to pay the QB.

Mcvay walked into a loaded team, maybe the most talented in the league. I think in time we will see how overrated he is.

Sure, the team was loaded, but McVay is a good coach, maybe a bit overrated, but we saw what this talent does with an inferior coach, because Jeff '7-9' Fisher is the defenition of inferior coach.

justafan

Reaction score
Maulbert":1vvxia4n said:
justafan":1vvxia4n said:
You have to pay the QB.

Mcvay walked into a loaded team, maybe the most talented in the league. I think in time we will see how overrated he is.

Sure, the team was loaded, but McVay is a good coach, maybe a bit overrated, but we saw what this talent does with an inferior coach, because Jeff '7-9' Fisher is the defenition of inferior coach.

Im not saying he isnt good,you are right he is, but he isnt a guru. Fisher sucked . We will see when the cap comes calling and they arent drafting in the top ten every year.

Maulbert

Reaction score
justafan":1pxs1e1n said:
Maulbert":1pxs1e1n said:
justafan":1pxs1e1n said:
You have to pay the QB.

Im not saying he isnt good,you are right he is, but he isnt a guru. Fisher sucked . We will see when the cap comes calling and they arent drafting in the top ten every year.

I think that with a threat like Gurley, he's managed to dumb-down the offense for Goff, who has a world-class arm with a kindergarten-class head. I think the minute Gurley is no longer a threat, Goff will regress.

justafan

Reaction score
Maulbert":2ss5ndvw said:
justafan":2ss5ndvw said:
Maulbert":2ss5ndvw said:
justafan":2ss5ndvw said:
You have to pay the QB.

I think that with a threat like Gurley, he's managed to dumb-down the offense for Goff, who has a world-class arm with a kindergarten-class head. I think the minute Gurley is no longer a threat, Goff will regress.

I agree, But I have a higher opinion of Goff than most. We will see when they lose the talent. That whole team is stocked from the Oline,WR , TE and RBs. He should be able to coach a top five O every year.

IMO Bevel would look good with that talent.

justafan

Reaction score
They scored 3 points in the SB. How much worse could Bevel have done.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ncpvk2h said:
Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
justafan":21csvx3c said:
You have to pay the QB.

We’ve already seen it. It was on full display at the Owl. He slobbered all over Billy B. and was excited to see how well he game planned for the Rams and yet did absolutely NOTHING to game plan for the Pats. Knowing full well he didn’t have his star RB at 100%.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This is really interesting and I will be monitoring this situation closely. I think PE might be right about the underpinnings of the plan.

The one thing I would say is that this philosophy probably doesn't have a long shelf life. No system or football genius stays at the top for long without a somewhat special player at quarterback.

As a contemporarily unprecedented plan, it would require an unprecedented level of adaptation and flexibility to work. Maybe McVay can stay that good and on top of the curve. But I doubt it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
With the example from the Super Bowl, I'm sure there will be plenty of focus around the league on shutting their run game down and making Goff beat them. Lambs play at Carolina at 10 AM tomorrow morning. Gonna be interesting.........

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Goff is a pretty good QB. Overpriced a bit as He is making basically what Russ is making, but as stated by others in a few years if he is still relevant he will be priced well.

mikeak

Reaction score
Go back and watch the Rams - KC shootout last year. You can't watch it and say Goff is just a system QB. I know KC had issues on defense, but he put the ball on the money over and over again

Dude can play

If he is a system QB then it is that he doesn't fit a Fisher system.....

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1wl1fyff said:
I have a theory, and it's much better than Pe's.

The Rams (& Jerry Jones) are signing guys early to get out ahead of an upcoming Cap Adjustment that will make these contracts (& Russell's), look like a bargain.

Had they waited until next year, they would have been paying much more on a QB or RB contract.

And Chris Carson will be the beneficiary, making more than Zeke.

That's my THEORY, and I'm sticking to it!

Love it! Great call. And of course the theory is better than mine...I whiffed. Big time.

mikeak

Reaction score
I would like to applaud the person calling out Minshew. At this point 11 for 11.... Lol what a call

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
mikeak":ppnd7uc0 said:
I would like to applaud the person calling out Minshew. At this point 11 for 11.... Lol what a call

I got something right. Finally.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The problem with evaluating QBs is you need to watch a ton of all 22 footage to disaggregate their ability from the system they're playing in.

To be totally honest, this year I think the best window into evaluating how good Jared Goff is doesn't even involve watching Goff.

Instead, watch Andy Dalton. We get to watch a QB we know really well and who has just been pretty average his whole career suddenly get to play in Jared Goff's offense. After the first week when Dalton put up a career day, it's not looking good for Goff.

There could be other reasons for this (the Seahawks running stone aged spot-drop zone schemes all game which this offense is DESIGNED to carve up) and we'll need at least a half season to start to feel comfortable in any predictions, but if I'm being honest my first thought when watching Dalton last week was geez, maybe the Rams shouldn't have given Goff all that money.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3o1ec4h0 said:
The problem with evaluating QBs is you need to watch a ton of all 22 footage to disaggregate their ability from the system they're playing in.

To be totally honest, this year I think the best window into evaluating how good Jared Goff is doesn't even involve watching Goff.

Instead, watch Andy Dalton. We get to watch a QB we know really well and who has just been pretty average his whole career suddenly get to play in Jared Goff's offense. After the first week when Dalton put up a career day, it's not looking good for Goff.

There could be other reasons for this (the Seahawks running stone aged spot-drop zone schemes all game which this offense is DESIGNED to carve up) and we'll need at least a half season to start to feel comfortable in any predictions, but if I'm being honest my first thought when watching Dalton last week was geez, maybe the Rams shouldn't have given Goff all that money.

That's assuming Zac Taylor is going to be as good an offensive coach as McVay, which is....a stretch. It'd be different if McVay was coaching Dalton.

Goff has had some great games and some bad games - but he's not even 25 years old yet. I wasn't thrilled with the extension, but the reality is, it doesn't kick in until 2021 - by then even with all that money he will probably only be the 7-10th highest paid QB. He has two years to get to that level consistently, which should be easy - he played like a top 7 QB for most of last year.

I think Dalton had a great game because of a combination of lack of talent in the Seahawks' secondary and it being the first game of the season (Seattle not really knowing what to expect).