My McVay/Rams theory

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Maulbert":mx7vmvdz said:
Ramfan128":mx7vmvdz said:
SoulfishHawk":mx7vmvdz said:
Um, they don't make EITHER Super Bowl w/out Russ, period. Regardless what any of the Russ bashers tell you.

Similar to Goff last year, several QBs could have led them to both of those Super Bowls.

He's a top QB NOW - but during those years, he was not. Dude threw five INTs in the NFC Championship game and it was a game Seattle somehow won.

He threw 4, and 3 were deflected by Jermaine Kearse. And in overtime, he threw back to back 35 yard passes on the last two plays of the game. We don't win that game with at least 85% of the starting QBs in the NFL. Most would fold like a cheap suit after that last pick.

I could say something similar about the Saints game. Most people ignored it because of the no call, but Goff outplayed Brees after the slow start and that brought the Rams back. I could also say that not many QBs could have brought the team back after being down 13-0 in one of the loudest environments in NFL history.

I stand by my comment - Wilson was then what Goff is now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
hahahahahahahahaha

Oh man, thx for the laugh. Goff isn't going to be NEAR the QB or winner that Russ is. But hey, he's on your team, I get it.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2fdcl3er said:
I love when someone tries to pull out the "but he threw a bunch of picks in the NFC Championship" Yeah, that's pretty much the ONLY game in his career where he's come close to that. AND, 3 of them were on Butterfingers Kearse. They always were down 16 with 5 minutes left and he took that team on his back, period.
His blatant refusal to give up, along w/his ability to close out a game is among the best of all time.
But some on this particular page flat out refuse to EVER give him credit for any of it. It's all because of the Defense and the running game :roll:

I don't think Goff has ever played with Kearse.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Expansion on this theory - Goff is a Bengal next year.

Fade

Reaction score
You always wait until you have the next QB before you move on from the current one.

KC had Alex Smith, they drafted Mahomes. Once they confirmed he was the guy, they then traded Smith.

It's hard to find great QBs though so you really can't plan a strategy around "Well we'll just draft another one, no big deal."

You might be looking for 40 years.

McVay is definitely a special case. And he should be aggressive drafting QBs, he could develop them and then flip them for higher picks, and if their is one he really likes he could have him takeover as the starter, and flip Goff for picks and Salary Cap relief.

The Rams should extend Goff in the mean time though.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Welp, let's all point and laugh at how stupid I am. They just signed him to an extension.

Haha @pehawkdoucheboy

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Theres more than one person to laugh at, for sure.

253hawk

Reaction score
We live in a world where a man who doesn't even know which direction the sun rises or sets is going to make $30 million+ per year. FML

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Wow Rams are going to cap hell faster than I expected..What a stupid move but it
helps us.
Pe it's ok,your theory will be used when teams stop being scared.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Honestly this might be a hell of a deal for the Rams if they're happy with Goff and he continues to improve. Everyone thought they would make him play out his contract and then grab another cheap/young QB, looks like they decided to get out in front of it and extend him with two years of control left instead.

I have no idea what the structure is but I saw the numbers and $32.5MM APY. His cap hit probably isn't going to be much 3-6 seasons down the road.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
I anticipate a lot of fullback twists getting called in the absence of a dominant QB.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":h6emoiaa said:
So, I have a crazy theory on what model the Rams will be using to build their team. I think the Rams are going to implement a, and the, great experiment. They're gonna follow a model long discussed but never implemented out of fear by GM's and HC's.

I think the Rams are never going to pay their QB. I think the Rams are going to always have a rookie or cheap QB and will NOT resign Goff.

McVay's system makes QB's almost irrelevant. McVay has gifted Goff the best OL, best skill position group, best RB, and best scheme to make easy throws over the middle. On top of that McVay LITERALLY makes the calls for Goff, telling him his read right before the headset turns off at 15 seconds. He doesn't need an elite QB to make that offense click...but he cant have an elite QB and stars everywhere else. So, Goff wont be resigned and McVay will probably draft a QB next year then sign a cheap, Keenum type bridge guy.

I am excited to see the experiment. And I do, somewhat, root for it to succeed, because I think it'll make the game better. Just not against the Hawks.

Anyway, love you.

Sincerely,

Flipper Anderson

This didn't age well.

Now it's time for the Rams to do what we all wanted them to do, pay Goff, regret it and stink for the next decade.

ivotuk

Reaction score
RedAlice":vnvbhzxs said:
Tho you are the first one I remember fronting this theory Pe, it’s been said over and over now.

We are just about to be at the point of fruition for your theory if it holds.

You have put in the time.

Alice, did you lose a bet, or have you come over to the Dark Side? Or maybe a house (occupied by Bill Belicheck) landed on McVay?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I have a theory, and it's much better than Pe's.

The Rams (& Jerry Jones) are signing guys early to get out ahead of an upcoming Cap Adjustment that will make these contracts (& Russell's), look like a bargain.

Had they waited until next year, they would have been paying much more on a QB or RB contract.

And Chris Carson will be the beneficiary, making more than Zeke.

That's my THEORY, and I'm sticking to it!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Since when did Pe become a Rams fan? :sarcasm_on:
Personally, I would love to see an A bomb hit the whole franchise.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":2ydqqbya said:
I have a theory, and it's much better than Pe's.

The Rams (& Jerry Jones) are signing guys early to get out ahead of an upcoming Cap Adjustment that will make these contracts (& Russell's), look like a bargain.

Had they waited until next year, they would have been paying much more on a QB or RB contract.

And Chris Carson will be the beneficiary, making more than Zeke.

That's my THEORY, and I'm sticking to it!

It's not a theory, it's fact in the NFL.

Everyone's jumping all over the Rams and McVay for giving Goff his huge extension............but how good is 32M a year going to look when the Chiefs and Cowboys have to give Mahomes and Prescott 40M a year once the new CBA is completed and the cap goes up 20%?

We all look at these contracts in a vacuum, but it's VERY much about what's coming down the pike and what potential contracts other guys are signing. That's how good proactive teams stay ahead of the curve, and bad reactive teams stay behind it and continue to stink year after year.

justafan

Reaction score
You have to pay the QB.

Mcvay walked into a loaded team, maybe the most talented in the league. I think in time we will see how overrated he is.