Not being dramatic BUT is this the beginning of the end?

RiverDog

Reaction score
pmedic920":2lfd4rhg said:
Say we lose in the first round of playoffs this season.

You’re willing to enter a complete rebuild phase?
Is this what you’re saying?

If so, I suggest you stay away from Vegas.

If we look at the season after this one, the odds of success with Pete/Russ still would far surpass that of whatever rebuilding took place.

I’m not questioning anyone’s status as a fan, I’m simply offering my way of looking at things.

You do you.

As I said, I do not have a W/L record or playoff result expectation. It's an intangible feeling that I refuse to put a number on.

Having said that, it's very likely that if we don't go deep into the playoffs this season and play solid, winnable games, that I'd tip over the edge and fall off the bandwagon. If something unusual happens, that we lose a key player, say Russell, at a critical juncture or if Covid somehow intervenes in some unexpected, or if we go 2-7 in our first 9 games then run the table beating the eventual SB winner but miss the playoffs, then it might cause me to placate my thirst for another season. But if we do another face plant like we did against the Rams, I'm done with this regime.

So to answer your question, yes, under the circumstances I outlined, I would be willing to enter a complete rebuild: Fire Pete and John, trade Russell, Bobby, or whatever a new regime thinks is in the best interests of this team.

I'm not exactly sure what your comment about staying away from Vegas is supposed to suggest. As I stated quite clearly, I am fully aware that there is a good chance that a complete rebuild could go very badly, put us in the company of the Lions or Jets where there's a revolving door at the HC/GM position, that we end up with some type of John Kitna/Rick Mirer hybrid at QB, that we could go a decade or longer without so much as a playoff appearance. So be it.
It's a chance I'd be willing to take.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":gghtlz7s said:
pmedic920":gghtlz7s said:

If we look at the season after this one, the odds of success with Pete/Russ still would far surpass that of whatever rebuilding took place.

I’m not questioning anyone’s status as a fan, I’m simply offering my way of looking at things.

You do you.

As I said, I do not have a W/L record or playoff result expectation. It's an intangible feeling that I refuse to put a number on.

Having said that, it's very likely that if we don't go deep into the playoffs this season and play solid, winnable games, that I'd tip over the edge and fall off the bandwagon. If something unusual happens, that we lose a key player, say Russell, at a critical juncture or if Covid somehow intervenes in some unexpected, or if we go 2-7 in our first 9 games then run the table beating the eventual SB winner but miss the playoffs, then it might cause me to placate my thirst for another season. But if we do another face plant like we did against the Rams, I'm done with this regime.

So to answer your question, yes, under the circumstances I outlined, I would be willing to enter a complete rebuild: Fire Pete and John, trade Russell, Bobby, or whatever a new regime thinks is in the best interests of this team.

I'm not exactly sure what your comment about staying away from Vegas is supposed to suggest. As I stated quite clearly, I am fully aware that there is a good chance that a complete rebuild could go very badly, put us in the company of the Lions or Jets where there's a revolving door at the HC/GM position, that we end up with some type of John Kitna/Rick Mirer hybrid at QB, that we could go a decade or longer without so much as a playoff appearance.

So be it. It's a chance I'd be willing to take.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":37mgwoeu said:
RiverDog":37mgwoeu said:
pmedic920":37mgwoeu said:

You do you.

Having said that, it's very likely that if we don't go deep into the playoffs this season and play solid, winnable games, that I'd tip over the edge and fall off the bandwagon. If something unusual happens, that we lose a key player, say Russell, at a critical juncture or if Covid somehow intervenes in some unexpected, or if we go 2-7 in our first 9 games then run the table beating the eventual SB winner but miss the playoffs, then it might cause me to placate my thirst for another season. But if we do another face plant like we did against the Rams, I'm done with this regime. I want to wear my 12 jersey like I'm trying to touch my elbows behind my back, not like I just came out of the restroom and forgot to zip up my fly.

I'm not exactly sure what your comment about staying away from Vegas is supposed to suggest. As I stated quite clearly, I am fully aware that there is a good chance that a complete rebuild could go very badly, put us in the company of the Lions or Jets where there's a revolving door at the HC/GM position, that we end up with some type of John Kitna/Rick Mirer hybrid at QB, that we could go a decade or longer without so much as a playoff appearance.

So be it. It's a chance I'd be willing to take.

hoxrox

Reaction score
John63":232ao617 said:
hoxrox":232ao617 said:
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-qb-russell-wilson-not-going-to-change-mindset-after-pete-carrolls-assessment-of-ot-possession/

So I’m not going to change my mindset,” Wilson continued. “I know how to win a lot of those games. We’ve done it before. And you’re not going to win every single one of them. But you believe you can. I think that’s the key to our football team, always believing that you can.”

So, basically, no, Wilson doesn’t really agree with Carroll that he should have played dink-and-dunk at the end of the game.

So In other words your just going to make crap up. What if what he mean by mindest could be that he believes he can bring us back.

Here is an idea until he actually says he doesn't agree lets not put words in his mouth.

Actions speak louder than words, and he confirmed with his own words the reason why.

This is a boom or bust offense, which was apparent to all of us last year as well. As others have said, Russ will feast off bad defenses but it will be famine against good defenses when he fails to utilize an entire field, or take check downs when required to move the chains.

And Russ just this week told us the reason why. "Mindset"

Just let that sink in for a minute. It really should be as clear as day.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This isn't the beginning of the end, unless Russ leaves.

This is the continuing of the middle.

When was the last time we were in the NFC Championship game?

To be honest, we rarely are even competitive in the Divisional game.

But we aren't terrible. We make the playoffs. We just don't matter as a contender.

This Sunday, the Packers are likely going to lose to the 49ers - who are better than us and in our division.

Does anyone here believe we could beat the Packers right now?
(We will find out in November, but the only way we beat them is if we radically improve our offense to consistently score points EVEN AFTER WE HAVE A LEAD.)

Does anyone think we could even stay within 2 TDs of the Rams right now?

But divisional opponents tend to lose to even bad teams in their division . The benefit of that is that we should split a few in our division. We know the problem with our defense, in both roster and coaching. Expecting much this year makes no sense.

Right now, we are just trying to figure out if we are even better than the Cards. And right now it does not look like we are.

That isn't terrible. The expectations need to be ratcheted way back though. There is no reason to expect a SB, or even much of a run in the playoffs. We should be able to expect some decent regular season games though, even with this defense.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Sorry for the duplicate posts. I thought I was editing just the one. Blame it on my age.

keasley45

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":16fdz4aw said:
This isn't the beginning of the end, unless Russ leaves.

This is the continuing of the middle.

When was the last time we were in the NFC Championship game?

To be honest, we rarely are even competitive in the Divisional game.

But we aren't terrible. We make the playoffs. We just don't matter as a contender.

This Sunday, the Packers are likely going to lose to the 49ers - who are better than us and in our division.

Does anyone here believe we could beat the Packers right now?
(We will find out in November, but the only way we beat them is if we radically improve our offense to consistently score points EVEN AFTER WE HAVE A LEAD.)

Does anyone think we could even stay within 2 TDs of the Rams right now?

But divisional opponents tend to lose to even bad teams in their division . The benefit of that is that we should split a few in our division. We know the problem with our defense, in both roster and coaching. Expecting much this year makes no sense.

Right now, we are just trying to figure out if we are even better than the Cards. And right now it does not look like we are.

That isn't terrible. The expectations need to be ratcheted way back though. There is no reason to expect a SB, or even much of a run in the playoffs. We should be able to expect some decent regular season games though, even with this defense.

I'm not quite as down on our chances this year. We have a great qb. A great rb. Two great wrs. A great LB, two more up and coming stars at the position, a great DE, and two great safeties. And up and coming
Talent at dt.

That is literally the EXACT makeup we had when we won our champiosnhips.

And that's the problem. If we lose games like last week it's because we failed as a team. We have the pieces. We just have to do what we did in 2012, 2013 and 2014... play together. Play smart. And not play for stats and individual accolades or media driven highlight clips.

To do that, each player has to acknowledge their weaknesses and learn to play within our system, stats, publicity, PR aside. Stop pointing fingers and defending dumb decisions.

If we can just get out of our won way and do that, when the chips fall, I'm confident we will be as good as we can be. And for me, that's enough.

pmedic920

Reaction score
RiverDog":3clgzrlr said:
pmedic920":3clgzrlr said:

You do you.

I'm not exactly sure what your comment about staying away from Vegas is supposed to suggest. As I stated quite clearly, I am fully aware that there is a good chance that a complete rebuild could go very badly, put us in the company of the Lions or Jets where there's a revolving door at the HC/GM position, that we end up with some type of John Kitna/Rick Mirer hybrid at QB, that we could go a decade or longer without so much as a playoff appearance. So be it.
It's a chance I'd be willing to take.
The “Vegas” thing was nothing more than humor/ball busting. It was a commentary on the odds of having any better success the season after this if in fact we were to go complete re-build.

I’m not naive enough to think that some time in the future we won’t see a more successful regime but for now, even though I get frustrated, I understand fully that this has been the most successful era ever in the history of the Seahawks.
I too have been a fan forever, I did a dance in the kitchen with my mother in 1974 when it was announced that Washington was getting a team.

Not only has this been the most successful era ever, it’s one of the top eras in the NFL over the time period.

Like I said, I get frustrated as much as anyone but I’m well pleased with the Seahawks over Pete’s tenure.
It could be worse easily, the chances of it ever being better are very slim (statistically speaking).

The loss to the Titans embarrassed me as a fan but I know that’s wasn’t my team, I have faith that they will bounce back, and probably with authority.

I’ll gladly suffer the embarrassment of a stupid loss over the prospect of what could be. I know this is a winning team, and my fandom appreciates that.

We all have an investment in our fandom, we all have to deal with the gains/losses of that investment on our own. I’m simply relaying how I deal with mine, and my thoughts in doing so.
Not faulting anyone.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The same makeup?

Our entire secondary is a dumpsterfire. Sure the safeties are good, but since our corners and DC are so bad you would hardly know it. Adams and Diggs are good together, great players, but nothing more than good as a combination.

We are missing the secondary. that is the problem and the reason this team just be lucky to make the playoffs this year.

Even if we stop the finger-pointing, that does not fix our DC. Or suddenly give us effective corner play.

RiverDog

Reaction score
pmedic920":3n8jy1et said:
The “Vegas” thing was nothing more than humor/ball busting. It was a commentary on the odds of having any better success the season after this if in fact we were to go complete re-build.

I’m not naive enough to think that some time in the future we won’t see a more successful regime but for now, even though I get frustrated, I understand fully that this has been the most successful era ever in the history of the Seahawks.
I too have been a fan forever, I did a dance in the kitchen with my mother in 1974 when it was announced that Washington was getting a team.

Not only has this been the most successful era ever, it’s one of the top eras in the NFL over the time period.

Like I said, I get frustrated as much as anyone but I’m well pleased with the Seahawks over Pete’s tenure.
It could be worse easily, the chances of it ever being better are very slim (statistically speaking).

The loss to the Titans embarrassed me as a fan but I know that’s wasn’t my team, I have faith that they will bounce back, and probably with authority.

I’ll gladly suffer the embarrassment of a stupid loss over the prospect of what could be. I know this is a winning team, and my fandom appreciates that.

We all have an investment in our fandom, we all have to deal with the gains/losses of that investment on our own. I’m simply relaying how I deal with mine, and my thoughts in doing so.
Not faulting anyone.

I realize the Vegas thing was meant as nothing more than just a fun poke. It's just that I had already acknowledged and accepted the consequences. I didn't think that I had indicated that I thought that a rebuild would be short and painless, ie stay away from betting on it, which is why I was a little surprised at your comment.

My comments have nothing to do with a lack of appreciation for what Pete has done for us in the past, and I agree with most of what you're saying about the current regime. I'm very grateful to him and his charges for what they've done for our franchise just as I was with Mike Holmgren, Chuck Knox, and Jack Patera.

But all good things must come to an end. At some point, we have to show enough insight and reflection to admit that what worked yesterday no longer works today and is unlikely to work tomorrow. For me, that point is rapidly approaching. I am no longer content with just making the playoffs. The expectation bar has been raised.

We played a great opening game against the Colts (I was in the stands rooting us on) with all 3 units playing above expectations, followed it up with a really nice first half of football against the Titans, then a horrible 20 some minutes that effectively wiped out that great first half and left us with a .500 record and last place in our division. We must do better, a lot better. Playing .500 football isn't going to cut it.

chris98251

Reaction score
I am going to watch the next few games with a focus on plays Russell defers to, Pete brought in a OC that runs a multilayered up tempo offense that spreads the ball all over the field, we seen it work with the Rams, this offense is very much like theirs, and some of it against the Colts.

Last weeks showing appeared to be Russell's control of it and preferences, if last weeks trend continues or surfaces off and on then the problem is Russell.

Pete is trying to change and correct issues with his OC selection.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
pmedic920":1o9vmjvt said:
keasley45":1o9vmjvt said:
Sgt. Largent":1o9vmjvt said:
keasley45":1o9vmjvt said:
Been a fan since 81. Very appreciative of the succrss we've had and who's brought it to us. But you'd have to have your head in the sand to not see that there's something amiss in our PNW version of Camelot. Talking about doesn't mean you you're pulling for some apocalyptic end. Just obvious there's something not quite right.

Your "not quite right" is the norm in the NFL, even for good franchises.

The problem is you and other fans think anything short of a SB something is "not quite right." When it's just the reality of a parity league that punishes winners and rewards the losers, and now we're back to just being a good team, and not a great one. Doesn't mean we shouldn't want to go to SB's, or make occasional deep playoff runs.

But that is not the norm, for ANY franchise. This IS the norm.

So go ahead, have bigger unrealistic expectations, but IMO your not quite right is a product of expectations, and not what you're seeing on the football field.

My saying things arent quite right have nothing to do with whether or not we win superbowls. Zero, It has to do with the obvious disconnect between what it seems we should be capable of even attempting vs what we're showing on the field.

I personally think the hawks have the best franchise in the league because they emphasize a human aspect of team building and character building that few, if any other franchises do, and place that value above raw physical measurables. They do that because they believe that if you can get athletes (men) to play to their maximum ability because their contributions are valued and acknowledged, that that can get you a lot further than just marching a group of hyper talented, concensus top draft picks out on the field and scripting the latest and greatest of x's and o's for them to follow.

My 'not quite right' has to do with the dissonance that is obvious between what we said we were going to go out and accomplish in terms of becoming a more effective and aggressive offense (acquiring Waldron, implementing a new scheme - talking about how great it was all offseason), and the literal antithesis of that on the field. Its the equivalent of upgrading your track car from a miata to a 911 and then never shifting out of third gear, or using all the tech that SHOULD make you more competitive.

Even beyond that is just a basic lack of situational awareness and disconnect between offense and defense that saw the O implement ZERO ball / clock control playcalling. ZERO. and situational awareness has been a hallmark of Pete Carroll / RW led teams. And then that the leader of the O seemed to not acknowledge that that was an issue... nor was the decision to use but 1/5 of the toolbox the offense has at its disposal.

And none of that has anything to do with false expectations. Football is a dynamic sport. Ive coached it, played it and have been an NFL fan since i was 5 years old. Its foolish to have any expectations for how a season will end in terms of Wins and Losses. For me, none of that is as important as playing to your ability, whatever that might be when taking injuries, unforseen circumstances, etc into account. Just play sound, smart football.

We arent doing that. The reason why goes beyond basic x's and o's
This is fair too.

Here’s how I’m looking at it currently.

We have a very small sample size (2games) with the current OC/DC/HC/QB configuration.

After the first game a was 100% stoked.
After the 2nd game I was disappointed.

I had to check myself with the disappointment because it was only one game, and I just don’t see this becoming a trend. This team always bounces back strong even in the face of a two game slide.

When I hear complaints or loss of faith in the current team, I always wonder who do we want to replace Pete or Russ, and this goes back to my previous question. What are our expectations?

Still too small of a sample size for the season to make determinations. The first week, outside of the 3rd quarter, showed promise that Pete could let some things go and let his coordinators work. Week two was back to what we have been seeing for years. When you consider what the 3rd quarter looked like in week one and how it relates to the last 7 years, I think the serious concern that it is likely nothing has changed continues.

I have said it before, I often found the 90's more entertaining to watch. Equally disappointing but at least you had teams playing above what they were capable of and giving it everything for 4 quarters. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than stagnation and playing not to lose.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Honestly - I love the longer posts. BUT:

I don't think the OP really meant that, or perhaps he may have.

What I think is that it doesn't really matter if I've been a fan since 1920 (obviously impossible), OR if 'I' am ready for a reboot/rebuild.

The point is: Russ got payed. Russ ain't happy. Rus ain't been happy since earlier this year, or honestly - longer than that.

It's not really about what 'we' want - there are SERIOUS cracks in both the foundation and facade between Russ and the team. And, if we're seeing this stuff - there's 10X more happening under the surface.

I think it's just a matter of time - he's not happy generally. Thinks he knows more than Pete (well, lots of people think that), and he's viewed finally as one of the best at his position. Some other teams (and in more entertainment friendly Ciara markets) will FALL ALL OVER themselves to snag him.

He just hasn't pulled the trigger yet.

keasley45

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3jcsv3ns said:
The same makeup?

Our entire secondary is a dumpsterfire. Sure the safeties are good, but since our corners and DC are so bad you would hardly know it. Adams and Diggs are good together, great players, but nothing more than good as a combination.

We are missing the secondary. that is the problem and the reason this team just be lucky to make the playoffs this year.

Even if we stop the finger-pointing, that does not fix our DC. Or suddenly give us effective corner play.

Fair. Not exactly the same. But we have talent the majority of the rest of the league would kill for.

pmedic920

Reaction score
ddores":7bi1u7w3 said:

What I think is that it doesn't really matter if I've been a fan since 1920 (obviously impossible), OR if 'I' am ready for a reboot/rebuild.

The point is: Russ got payed. Russ ain't happy. Rus ain't been happy since earlier this year, or honestly - longer than that.

It's not really about what 'we' want - there are SERIOUS cracks in both the foundation and facade between Russ and the team. And, if we're seeing this stuff - there's 10X more happening under the surface.

I think it's just a matter of time - he's not happy generally. Thinks he knows more than Pete (well, lots of people think that), and he's viewed finally as one of the best at his position. Some other teams (and in more entertainment friendly Ciara markets) will FALL ALL OVER themselves to snag him.

Russ ain’t happy?

He sure hasn’t said that, and it appears that the media spun things ( during the off season) to generate clicks IMO.

Do you have something specific that makes you say this with such authority?

RiverDog

Reaction score
JustTheTip":24c8q0y8 said:
Still too small of a sample size for the season to make determinations. The first week, outside of the 3rd quarter, showed promise that Pete could let some things go and let his coordinators work. Week two was back to what we have been seeing for years. When you consider what the 3rd quarter looked like in week one and how it relates to the last 7 years, I think the serious concern that it is likely nothing has changed continues.

I have said it before, I often found the 90's more entertaining to watch. Equally disappointing but at least you had teams playing above what they were capable of and giving it everything for 4 quarters. In my opinion, there is nothing worse than stagnation and playing not to lose.

The sample size goes back to the 2015 season. IMO it started with Kam's holdout. He was never the same player and we were never the same team.

I don't agree about the '90's teams being more entertaining. They were nothing short of horrible and tested my mettle as a tenured Seahawk fan. I had season tickets back then, in the days before Stub Hub and other secondary marketers. At the time I lived in Moses Lake, and since I worked odd shifts and weekends, not to mention living on the wrong side of a mountain pass, there were a lot of occasions that we couldn't go to the game. The Hawks during that era were so bad and a waste of time to watch that I couldn't give them away so we ended up not renewing them.

keasley45

Reaction score
pmedic920":1z33ofaf said:
ddores":1z33ofaf said:

Russ ain’t happy?

He sure hasn’t said that, and it appears that the media spun things ( during the off season) to generate clicks IMO.

Do you have something specific that makes you say this with such authority?

What happened tbis offseason was not the media's 'making'. They certainly ate it up, but It was Russel's doing. He forced the conversation about all the things the offense and his coach were doing to handcuff him. He adopted the Let Russ Cook mantra and rode it as far as he could. I tbink it was calculated. I think his press conference responses this week are also calculated. And I think we will see more of the same in the coming weeks if we struggle.

I would absolutley love to be wrong, and if I am, will be the first to admit it. But what I feel coming are a series of games where we begin to struggle offensively as Waldron pulls back on the big play script and tries to implement the offense he was accustomed to in LA. When that happens, you'll see more plays that result in Russ pulling the ball down ( not getting it out in rhythm) and the sacks will begin to pile up. And the response from #3 will be that the protection needs to get better. Pete will lean on the run, the Offense won't look as explosive ( because we're feast or famine) and the media will pick up the narrative that the line isn't holding up good enough (it's seattle, that's always the lazy excuse) and that Pete just wants to run.
If we have success through the air, it will be similar to the play action passes that hit big, or by taking advantage of a defense's lapse in coverage, or through Russ's improv. The net result will be Russ pinning his struggle on things other than #3. He will ride out the season on as many big plays and Tds as he can and leverage his stats to land a fat contract with his next team.

I think Russ knows who he is - An amazing, improvisational QB that the media just loves to ooohh and ahhh over. And he knows who he isnt... and is out of tools to be able to cover himself- an A Rogers / Tom Brady type of QB who absolutely annihilates opposing secondaries with fast reads and flawless delivery.

Russ is thinking about next year. And if he plays it right the media and fans will be behind him.

Why?

Because his legacy depends on him being cast as a hero that flourished despite being in a system that held him back.

Because the alternative is that he flourished because he was in a system that masked what he couldn't do and allowed him the room to create a career doing what he was good at. Improvisation, making up success outside the playbook and on the fly.

BASF

Reaction score
ddores":ypot4pre said:

Russ may not be happy because he is being asked to take what the defense gives him and he wants to play hero ball. Each member of the three headed monster (Carroll, Waldron and Wilson) have said that he can change the plays at the line of scrimmage. So he is in control of how we play offense. His main problem now is that people will see he has been an issue instead of all the people who have made excuses for him for years.

As far as earlier in the year, he wasn't happy because he was being questioned about finally being the focal point of the offense and failing so miserably in the playoff game. He went with the very convenient excuse of his protection (in the case of the playoff game he is absolutely right since Carroll went with a washed Iupati as the starter which was a gigantic mistake), but our O-Line play last year was not nearly as bad as a lot of people like to say.

OP
OP
S

ScottishHawk84

Reaction score
To revisit my initial post..people HAVE to see it now. We are all over the place:
-Defense- come on Pete keeps thinking Tre can be a starter in the NFL..’he had a great off season’. The guy is lucky to be a backup. I like DJ but he’s had a poor season. The pass rush has been poor bar the Indy game. It sounds, per post press conferences, that players were confused as to what they were to do. Is it Pete or KNJ?
-Offense- the lack of production in the second half is beyond baffling. Pete even said the Vikings didn’t really change anything but they couldn’t figure it out.

We all know we’ll be 1-5 after the next two games and there’s your season over. After that, we just play the season out. So, who goes first Russ or Pete? It’s the end of an era and if you really are honest, you’ll agree. It’s upsetting but I think we are all going to have to accept it sooner rather than later.

balakoth

Reaction score
Getting to the playoffs is the goal folks.... remember that.. since our xxxxx post posters deem so.

YEEE Winning.. to lose. Come on now. Get over yourselves . They could win the rest of their games and get snatch wrecked by any other playoff team.

But acceptance is now.. being a "Sky is falling" type of person.

Trade Russell now.. Get Jets pick back this year if we end up going sub win. Get a package deal, 4 picks and a chance to move fwd in 3 years.

You all complain about the Mariners, but they are making strides. We are not a super bowl team, we need help, lets use that over the next 2 years to get back.

I love WIlson..... but the talent we could get in trade... and what he might ask for after now having no defense and playing better than when we had one?

HOnestly... again... I dunno.