O-Line

John63

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2yx6exu2 said:
John63":2yx6exu2 said:
Wenhawk":2yx6exu2 said:
kf3339":2yx6exu2 said:
I am starting to think RB as well for #27. Perhaps Jonathan Taylor?

Taylor is projected late 1st and would step in and produce right away. There are at least 3 or 4 others that deserve a look in the 1-2nd rd.

With Carson and Penny coming off injury a young 220+ back would be great. Taylor is proven unlike Penny.

24, 30, 25, 25, 30, 24, 32, 20 Oiline pass blocking rankings 2012-2019 (FYI 24th in 2011,) (Never higher than 2oth in PC era)

4, 51, 43, 41, 45, 42, 44, 33 Sacks 2012 -2019

1st 2012-2019 hits, hurries, pressures and sacked in NFL

And yet we get road graders not pass blockers. Its only a mater of time before our luck runs out. Then all the RBs and road graders in the world will not matter.

And here is our assoicated Win record

11-5, 13-3, 12-4, 10-6, 10-5-1, 9-7, 10-6, 11-5

There is no correlation of OL pass blocking rating translating into wins.

Great now imagine if we had an avg pass blocking oline we could have oh I don't know won more SBs, gotten father.

Now you supposed correlation

lets see last 10 SB winners
KC won Oline pass blocking ranked 4
NE won Oline pass blocking rnake 1
PHI won Oline pass ranking 12th
NE won Oline Pass blocking rank 6th
Denver won Oline Pass blocking rank 13th
NE won oline pass blocking rank 2nd
Seattle won oline pass blocking rank 32nd
Balt won oline pass blocking rank 13th
NYG won oline pass blocking rank 6th
GB won olien pass blocking rank 21st

So there is your correlation out of 10 SB winners only 2 won with olines ranked in the bottom half of the league in pass blocking.

8 out of 10 SB winner had top half ranked pass blocking olines.

Jville

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3922epaw said:
John63":3922epaw said:
Wenhawk":3922epaw said:
kf3339":3922epaw said:
I am starting to think RB as well for #27. Perhaps Jonathan Taylor?

Taylor is projected late 1st and would step in and produce right away. There are at least 3 or 4 others that deserve a look in the 1-2nd rd.

With Carson and Penny coming off injury a young 220+ back would be great. Taylor is proven unlike Penny.

24, 30, 25, 25, 30, 24, 32, 20 Oiline pass blocking rankings 2012-2019 (FYI 24th in 2011,) (Never higher than 2oth in PC era)

And yet we get road graders not pass blockers. Its only a mater of time before our luck runs out. Then all the RBs and road graders in the world will not matter.

Note that if a link had of been provided to the source of what is represented to be pass blocking ratings, we could all read the disclosed details as to what they specifically reflect. Posts lacking disclosure are not all that credible and can skew impressions. Field performances go further than statistical occurrences in telling the full story.

With regards to the never ending narrative, I think that tiresome repetitive narrative dismisses the magic of Russell Wilson. Inviting an overaggressive pass rush continues to open up areas of exploitation as a most valuable feature of the offense. And the annual win records reflect it's success. We have somebody under center that not only fits but thrives in this offense.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
John for one if there were any consecutive positive posts from you about the team, the OLine or about most anything to do with the team you'd not be seen as a hater. I know you are not, but after a while the negativity becomes wearing. For sure it's not all rainbows and sunshine but several of the OLine additions could be quite good fits while being far better pass blocking than their stats have indicated. Let's wait and watch before complaining.

For me I should talk b/c I'm truly confused by what the team is doing about the pass rush. Suspect you might be quite happy with what some of the recent additions to the OLine are able to do this season. I suspect the team will come out alright in that regard but at present I can't for the life of me figure out WTF their plan is.

Maybe we don't know what the plan is for the OLine? How about LT- Brown, LG- Warmack, OC- Kinney, RG- Fluker, RT- Shell, with a draft pick at C and at T. The guys are road graders and might just be "average" or even better in pass pro.

The reality the team is working on and spending significant resources at fixing the OLine should be encouraging to you.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
John63":2c0r3dw6 said:
SoulfishHawk":2c0r3dw6 said:
Our? We? Sorry they don't go get who YOU want. I'm curious if you'll ever be happy with what the front office does. Good luck with that.
Hmmmmm

Sure just get an oline that can be average at pass blocking and I will be happy. Not too much to ask all and should be what every fan wants.

The Seahawks are a run first team mentality. That is the head coach's philosophy. So logically it makes sense they are acquiring guys who are strong run blockers first. If you're hoping for a change to that, it's not happening under this regime.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
John63":2tsggucu said:
Wenhawk":2tsggucu said:
John63":2tsggucu said:
Wenhawk":2tsggucu said:

Great now imagine if we had an avg pass blocking oline we could have oh I don't know won more SBs, gotten father.

So there is your correlation out of 10 SB winners only 2 won with olines ranked in the bottom half of the league in pass blocking.

I'll be the one to say it - much of our perceived offensive line struggles have been either caused or exacerbated by Russell Wilson having one of the highest time-to-throw averages in the league for a decent while now. Any offensive line is going to look worse because our scheme is (and has been) predicated largely on passes that take a longer than average time to develop. I'd argue that sacks and traditional line rankings are heavily swayed by scheme, and Seattle's scheme has traditionally been difficult on offensive linemen because they're generally asked to hold their blocks for a longer period of time.

That being said, talent-wise we've improved marginally at tackle in the pass blocking department, and have added high upside guys around the line, especially Finney who has shown impressive pass blocking chops on the inside in his limited action.

We continue to go back to your baseless statement about the signings all being "road graders." You should be happy the line appears preliminarily to be improved for good value, yet here we are still.

A top-graded offensive line is becoming increasingly difficult to field due to a shortage of bona fide OL talent in the league. Fielding a great line costs a significant amount of the cap - have you seen these contracts that your beloved "pass protectors" are getting? They're incredibly lucrative. You don't just pull those guys out of a hat. We can't allocate that much dough to the offensive line when you've got a defense and star QB to pay, unless you want to give one of those things up.

Me personally? Something's gotta give, and I'd prefer it be the OL over the defense.

balakoth

Reaction score
John63":1pr73df9 said:
SoulfishHawk":1pr73df9 said:
Why do some people seem to hate a team they supposedly love? :?

Why is it a fan cant want more without being a hater?

Because I've been a lurker longer than you've been a member by double and I can see that you NEVER... STOP... COMPLAINING.. about... SOMETHING...

I'm a pessimist... but holy crap.. shut... up

balakoth

Reaction score
John63":3pvdhqcd said:
Wenhawk":3pvdhqcd said:
John63":3pvdhqcd said:
Wenhawk":3pvdhqcd said:

While you are at it.. you should probably check all the other years.. that those teams actually ranked above those grades.. and won.. jack.. diddly

Statistics are fun when you only use samples sizes to fit your narrative....

John63

Reaction score
Jville":1d5e9lyb said:
Wenhawk":1d5e9lyb said:
John63":1d5e9lyb said:
Wenhawk":1d5e9lyb said:

Note that if a link had of been provided to the source of what is represented to be pass blocking ratings, we could all read the disclosed details as to what they specifically reflect. Posts lacking disclosure are not all that credible and can skew impressions. Field performances go further than statistical occurrences in telling the full story.

With regards to the never ending narrative, I think that tiresome repetitive narrative dismisses the magic of Russell Wilson. Inviting an overaggressive pass rush continues to open up areas of exploitation as a most valuable feature of the offense. And the annual win records reflect it's success. We have somebody under center that not only fits but thrives in this offense.

As has been posted many many times my rankings come from football outsiders. As to the rest and imagine how much better it would be if the oline was just avg.

John63

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1yihp8b7 said:
John for one if there were any consecutive positive posts from you about the team, the OLine or about most anything to do with the team you'd not be seen as a hater. I know you are not, but after a while the negativity becomes wearing. For sure it's not all rainbows and sunshine but several of the OLine additions could be quite good fits while being far better pass blocking than their stats have indicated. Let's wait and watch before complaining.

For me I should talk b/c I'm truly confused by what the team is doing about the pass rush. Suspect you might be quite happy with what some of the recent additions to the OLine are able to do this season. I suspect the team will come out alright in that regard but at present I can't for the life of me figure out WTF their plan is.

Maybe we don't know what the plan is for the OLine? How about LT- Brown, LG- Warmack, OC- Kinney, RG- Fluker, RT- Shell, with a draft pick at C and at T. The guys are road graders and might just be "average" or even better in pass pro.

The reality the team is working on and spending significant resources at fixing the OLine should be encouraging to you.

Okay first I have had numerous positive posts in a row so that point is inaccurate. As to working on it yes for the last 8 years still waiting for avg.

John63

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3hi926wb said:
John63":3hi926wb said:
SoulfishHawk":3hi926wb said:
Our? We? Sorry they don't go get who YOU want. I'm curious if you'll ever be happy with what the front office does. Good luck with that.
Hmmmmm

Sure just get an oline that can be average at pass blocking and I will be happy. Not too much to ask all and should be what every fan wants.

The Seahawks are a run first team mentality. That is the head coach's philosophy. So logically it makes sense they are acquiring guys who are strong run blockers first. If you're hoping for a change to that, it's not happening under this regime.

And if you think we will continue to get lucky and our QB will continue to remain uninjured you nuts. We are playing with fire. And maybe in the end that is what it will take, Wilson getting hurt and missing game for some in hear to get it and maybe PC too.

John63

Reaction score
balakoth":22uge48o said:
John63":22uge48o said:
Wenhawk":22uge48o said:
John63":22uge48o said:

While you are at it.. you should probably check all the other years.. that those teams actually ranked above those grades.. and won.. jack.. diddly

Dont need to the correlation was made. 8 of 10 SB winners had top half of the league pass blocking olines to include run heatvy Denver and Balt. But thanks for playing correlation made.

John63

Reaction score
balakoth":1trto9pc said:
John63":1trto9pc said:
SoulfishHawk":1trto9pc said:
Why do some people seem to hate a team they supposedly love? :?

Why is it a fan cant want more without being a hater?

Because I've been a lurker longer than you've been a member by double and I can see that you NEVER... STOP... COMPLAINING.. about... SOMETHING...

I'm a pessimist... but holy crap.. shut... up

Yeah it's a forum I will post what I want. Dont like it dont read it. Oh goodbye

chris98251

Reaction score
John63":2yi6bijl said:
balakoth":2yi6bijl said:
John63":2yi6bijl said:
Wenhawk":2yi6bijl said:

Dont need to the correlation was made. 8 of 10 SB winners had top half of the league pass blocking olines to include run heatvy Denver and Balt. But thanks for playing correlation made.

I don't have to search but pretty sure almost every Super Bowl winner has had a defense in the top 3rd of the league with maybe a half dozen exceptions.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
It's atypical JS/PC offseason.....Amass players that the draft is full of (and good ones)....The cap is dwindling and the elephant in the room is just glaring from the corner.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Largent80":1sx9th2x said:
It's atypical JS/PC offseason.....Amass players that the draft is full of (and good ones)....The cap is dwindling and the elephant in the room is just glaring from the corner.

I don't think that this would necessarily prevent them from drafting offensive linemen. These are all 1/2 year deals, and we needed to sign a lot of help on the line. Dude, they're coming off a year where their top 2 centers both went down for the year, they're losing their LG and RT to free agency, PLUS their primary backup tackle - that's 3 spots you have to address on the OL, plus you need good depth behind those spots, or else you've gotta start Joey dang Hunt again.

They needed to attack in free agency, and they may still draft there for the future - but you don't want to go into the draft with a flaming personnel need because as you saw last draft, the board doesn't always fall the way you need it to and then you're stuck with LJ Collier.

Also, regarding cap room: they can EASILY clear a significant amount of space on short notice if needed.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Largent80":2onp4xke said:
The current pandemic may result in cancellation of rookie mini-camp, and cancellation or limitation of other preseason team activities; this is not a year to rely on rookie o-linemen. I'm not saying we won't draft any o-line help, but I am glad we are filling the need prior to the draft. Filling our needs in free agency/trades predraft also ensures that JS/PC have flexibility to make draft decisions without the requirement to fill an immediate glaring need.

cheese22

Reaction score
I keep thinking these signings opens the door to drafting a project with major upside. Like Alex Taylor from SC State.

toffee

Reaction score
So far none of the OL additions are exciting, because lacking in past performances or upsides. They are all known commodity that had to sign 1-2 years deals on the cheap. So these guys are on 1-2 year deals, I don’t think we have any next great thing waiting to make the jump either, Pocic? Jamarco? Roos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xray

Reaction score
Seems like every year ...the Hawks OL will be awesome ... Was it Wilson or Carroll that says that ...or both ? :D

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I posted this in the Ifedi thread but really meant to post it here....

I don't think Fluker is safe at RG either. Jordan Simmons, Jamarco Jones, Haynes, Warmack, Ogbeuhi, Finney, Pocic can play that spot as well. If they dropped Fluker they could save some salary too ( about $3.6M). He's solid but also has had injuries during the season where he has missed games. It's a competition and who they think is the best of the bunch will survive. The only sure spot is Duane Brown at LT. The rest are up for grabs...
https://12thmanrising.com/2020/03/09/seahawks-2020-offseason-plan/2/