Pete Carroll on the Brink

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":317xn3a4 said:
JustTheTip":317xn3a4 said:
Sgt. Largent":317xn3a4 said:
JustTheTip":317xn3a4 said:
The point that is being missed is that people don't want the whole organization to change, they want what appears to be a major issue resolved while there is still some semblance of a winning culture here. That culture is far more important than the man who built it. Seattle sports sucks in its sentimentality.

People are asking why Gordon and Sherman didn't sign here. I think it is likely because players know the culture is changing.

You're insinuating that if Pete and or Pete/John leave, the "winning culture" remains.

Which is not true, because they created the winning culture. So it's entirely possible that if they leave and whoever replaces them stinks, then we're back to pre-Holmgren Hawk culture of just another mediocre franchise in south Alaska that no one pays attention to.

This is especially true if Jody Allen is the apathetic owner most people think she is and is just fine with mediocrity as long as the equity of her football team continues to appreciate.

Has a better chance of remaining than if it is allowed to deteriorate entirely. It seems pretty obvious to me right now that it is deteriorating. And just because they leave doesn't mean the winning culture goes with them. Greenbay, for example, has survived multiple changes in QB, coach and front office over the last 3 decades while maintaining a winning culture.

I'm not disagreeing that we need to make a coaching change, I'm disagreeing that the winning culture stays if he leaves.

That's no guarantee, and in fact it's probably not likely if John and Russell also leave. Could get ugly without another owner who's super passionate about winning like Paul was.

If given my perfect scenario? John and Russell stay, Pete goes and we find a younger more dynamic head coach.

Fully agree with everything in this post. I wouldn't even mind Pete staying in the front office in a reduced role. I just think he is doing far more damage to the franchise than good in his current role(s) and we can't live on his success almost a decade ago and get back to being a healthy franchise.

LTH

Reaction score
JustTheTip":26m9hgh8 said:
Sgt. Largent":26m9hgh8 said:
JustTheTip":26m9hgh8 said:
Sgt. Largent":26m9hgh8 said:
You're insinuating that if Pete and or Pete/John leave, the "winning culture" remains.

Which is not true, because they created the winning culture. So it's entirely possible that if they leave and whoever replaces them stinks, then we're back to pre-Holmgren Hawk culture of just another mediocre franchise in south Alaska that no one pays attention to.

This is especially true if Jody Allen is the apathetic owner most people think she is and is just fine with mediocrity as long as the equity of her football team continues to appreciate.

Has a better chance of remaining than if it is allowed to deteriorate entirely. It seems pretty obvious to me right now that it is deteriorating. And just because they leave doesn't mean the winning culture goes with them. Greenbay, for example, has survived multiple changes in QB, coach and front office over the last 3 decades while maintaining a winning culture.

I'm not disagreeing that we need to make a coaching change, I'm disagreeing that the winning culture stays if he leaves.

That's no guarantee, and in fact it's probably not likely if John and Russell also leave. Could get ugly without another owner who's super passionate about winning like Paul was.

If given my perfect scenario? John and Russell stay, Pete goes and we find a younger more dynamic head coach.

Fully agree with everything in this post. I wouldn't even mind Pete staying in the front office in a reduced role. I just think he is doing far more damage to the franchise than good in his current role(s) and we can't live on his success almost a decade ago and get back to being a healthy franchise.

Why because they are 1-2 LMAO!!! fire Pete put him in the front office in a diminished role? LMAO!!! dude drink more beer!! :irishdrinkers:

chris98251

Reaction score
Holmgren had to have his role reduced, Pete my need to have it done also so he can focus on a particular aspect.

Coach or front office, not both.

LTH

Reaction score
chris98251":1qkl94vb said:
Holmgren had to have his role reduced, Pete my need to have it done also so he can focus on a particular aspect.

Holmgren had his role reduced for completely different reasons part of which was losing a pissing contest with trader Bob. PC isn't even the GM..

LTH

JustTheTip

Reaction score
LTH":3a0uodg6 said:
JustTheTip":3a0uodg6 said:
Sgt. Largent":3a0uodg6 said:
JustTheTip":3a0uodg6 said:

Why because they are 1-2 LMAO!!! fire Pete put him in the front office in a diminished role? LMAO!!! dude drink more beer!! :irishdrinkers:

Glad you are amused but my opinion spans nearly a decade of behavior not just a 1-2 start.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":w7eitjg0 said:
pittpnthrs":w7eitjg0 said:
Flyingsquad23":w7eitjg0 said:
For an Internet forum we sure have a lot of posters who seem to have intimate knowledge of Jody Allen and her willingness/desire to run this franchise. I personally have never seen or heard anything that would lead me to believe this. She will never be Paul, but she will also never be Jerry Jones…

New owner, new coach, different QB… none of it comes with guarantees. I have watched hot coach’s $h!t the bed time and time again.
Did anyone see that idiot Chargers coach throw the ball twice with 40 seconds left, scoring and leaving Mahomes 37 seconds and a T.O.
Or that genius Shanahan scheme up that sweet prevent…the win defense lulz

How about McVay putting up THREE in the SB…I know I know he has a HOF QB now, that has ZERO playoff wins in 12 years.

For those of you that desperately want the whole organization to change have no fear, that time is coming and then you will have a whole new set of names to complain about every day.

So everthings just fine and dandy in Seahawk land right now right? Stay the course.

I'll never understand fans that think like this when its right there in front of them.

First off can you show were I stated everything is “fine and dandy”. You quoted me and then didn’t even address the things I actually wrote.

I will “never understand “ fans like you who think the grass is always greener on their side of the fence with no actual proof or reasoning. The Hawks are one of the most winningest teams in the league during Pete & John’s tenure…fact. The Hawks have had a HOF Qb and a spot in the playoffs all but one year, that means they have had a chance at the big prize…fact. Only 4 current coaches have multiple SB appearances, getting to and winning a SB is extremely difficult even for great coaches(not named Belicheat).

You have given no citation on the belief that Jody is disinterested/incapable of running the Franchise. Fact of the matter you never give citation to any of your gloom and doom, you are definitely entitled to your opinion but that doesn’t make you a more insightful/knowledgeable fan.

One of the points I was trying to make is that everyone of the Wunderkind HC’s has had their turn shatting the bed. You would be on this site today still complaining if Pete’s team put up THREE points in the SB and yet McVay is god and the Rams have already won the west.

There is a high percentage chance this current team and staff are winding down their tenure and an equally high percentage that the new regime will disappoint you. Me personally, I’m in for the ride and I know that with Russ under center anything is possible.

Your post of giving examples of games coaches have failed in and your defense of Jody Allen is a clear indication your content with the current regime or you would have said otherwise.

I never said the grass is always going to be greener on the other side. As a matter of fact, i've even said it could easily be worse, but i'm willing to try because the grass is stagnant and dead right now with Pete Carroll.

My citation on the belief that Jody Allen is disinterested/incapable of running the franchise was when she handed the keys over to a 70 year old coach and gave him a 5 year extension. Seriously, when do you ever see or hear of Jody Allen making football decisions? You dont because she doesnt. Thats Petes job. Honestly the Seahawks are only a business to her at this point. Once they start losing money, she'll sell them in a heartbeat.

Sure every coach shats the bed, but not on a consistent basis like Pete. Wilson wills the team to 10 or better wins most every season and then the team gets whipped in the early round of the playoffs due to horrendous game day coaching. Its been going on for years. Its not hard to see unless you allow yourself to be fooled by regular season records. Heck McVay embarrassed Carroll just last season with a depleted defense and a 4 fingered QB. Thats not going to change.

A new regime wont disappoint me, they'll finally instill some hope, even if they stink for awhile. I have no hope with the current regime. Russ is a great QB, but even he cant overcome Pete Carrolls coaching deficiencies in the post season. The past 6 years have proven that.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
What's funny about this is --- win on Sunday and everyone is happy.

** and yes I get that a LOSS on Sunday and things get far worse.**

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3qd55c14 said:
What's funny about this is --- win on Sunday and everyone is happy.

** and yes I get that a LOSS on Sunday and things get far worse.**

You are wrong about that. Most the people seriously talking about the need to replace Pete aren't swayed by individual games. As I said in my previous post, this isn't about the 1-2 start, this is based on observation spanning almost a decade.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
LTH":2sg771k2 said:
Dude the team is 1-2... everybody is freaking out? what does that say? Pete's done? I would put down money this thing turns around... Its going to turn around even if they go 1-4.. Pete is a pro at working through adversity. he is a pro at teaching people to work through adversity. I don't know how they are going to do it but they will because that's what they do. Its almost hard to read this board sometimes because people don't understand the process of a Carroll team.. they just get caught up in this storm of emotion even if they lose 1 game... I can't remember when the Hawks lost 2 in a row maybe last year but when was the last time this team lost 3 in a row? I'm not sure it's happened with Pete Carroll at the helm...

Blaw blaw blaw

Its going to work out they just need to make some adjustments...

LTH

Its not because the Seahawks are 1-2 though (everybody expects 10 or so wins and it will probably happen), its the last 6 years thats the reason. The Seahawks now arent the same as they were and it was clear what was happening years ago. Wilson and Seattle owned the vikings - just got throttled by them, home field advantage is nonexistent anymore, the defense is historically bad, players choosing other teams rather than Seattle, a head coach that routinely gets outcoached and now doesnt understand or realize why and how it happens, uncertain ownership, etc,,,,.

It was a nice road for awhile, but its been eroding for some time.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
It gets old when I hear Pete say things like "Idk what happened out there", as if he's not standing on the sideline during the WHOLE GAME and can easily adjust...In those moments it feels like he has this "My hands are tied, Idk what I could've done in that moment" attitude and it makes me not want to see his face for another week.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
LTH":3sfop02z said:
chris98251":3sfop02z said:

Holmgren had his role reduced for completely different reasons part of which was losing a pissing contest with trader Bob. PC isn't even the GM..

LTH
Carroll IS the defacto GM. When he was hired he got full control over player acquisition and personal. In fact, Carroll even hired the GM, Schneider himself. That is very a-typical for an NFL team. It was stipulated when he was hired that he had final say over player acquisition and trade. It was one of his conditions for making the transition back to the NFL.

Carroll has complete control over every aspect of the Seattle Seahawks.

rjdriver

Reaction score
TreeRon":6n6ok881 said:
I personally can not listen to the mumbling word salad of a Pete Carroll press conference. Cliches R us.

Reminds of this quote from this years "Why your team sucks"..

Every year, I can count on there being a “Pete Carroll Defends Decision To Blindfold His Own Kicker”–type headline in the aftermath of some eminently preventable loss.

I would love a bit more accountability from coach from time to time. This "we are almost there , just have to execute better" thing is getting old.

Vesuve

Reaction score
TreeRon":1yenzhrc said:
I personally can not listen to the mumbling word salad of a Pete Carroll press conference. Cliches R us.

Yeah, Pete is not a straight shooter.

I take his pressers with a grain of salt, if that.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":wn23w7o4 said:
LTH":wn23w7o4 said:
chris98251":wn23w7o4 said:

LTH
Carroll IS the defacto GM. When he was hired he got full control over player acquisition and personal. In fact, Carroll even hired the GM, Schneider himself. That is very a-typical for an NFL team. It was stipulated when he was hired that he had final say over player acquisition and trade. It was one of his conditions for making the transition back to the NFL.

Thanks, I forget that we had a whole new group of fans join after Pete signed on and the LOB came into being, most don't know the history, as far as Holmgren's beef, it was with Ruskell, he got Bob Dumbshit fired.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
chris98251":2wb8dbdc said:
Spin Doctor":2wb8dbdc said:
LTH":2wb8dbdc said:
chris98251":2wb8dbdc said:

LTH

Thanks, I forget that we had a whole new group of fans join after Pete signed on and the LOB came into being, most don't know the history, as far as Holmgren's beef, it was with Ruskell, he got Bob $h!t fired.
Ruskell was a dick

The_Second_Half

Reaction score
I had a whole segment on my YT show arguing he should get fired. Not because of a poor start to the year but because of everything in the last 6ish years. Wasting the careers of generational talents

Link if you want to check it out
[youtube] https://youtu.be/jOXyB77-M8I[/youtube]

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
The absolute swings of this fan base is amazing. Transport back after week one and everyone is cloud 9. Adversity hits and it’s armageddon. I’m equally frustrated as the next fan with the last 2 games as many and looking at next 2 games as uh oh. Bit on the prediction post at beginning of the year I said the same thing. I could easily see us go 1-4 if not 0-5. Our schedule is brutal. Like many I was blown away with the new look well one and surprised the way that game went. Motion, hurry up, scheming plays to move the sticks, holy shit we are actually using the TE’s. Titans game we reverted to looking like old offense in second half, D gave up a lot but the offense gave zero favors. Last week come out hot and I knew our defense would struggle that game with outside threats and fact Maddison torched us last year too. Carson had 75 yards before half and then went away. But end of the day we had Kirk Cousins look like a superstar by playing 10 yards off the ball and tossing pitch and catches all day on under routes. I think its definitely scheme but defensively also on the players. DJ Reed isn’t close to a number 1. Flowers, well as much as Ive rooted for him as he’s been the whipping boy its showing. All the more reason the keep adams just roaming around and stop the late pass rush attempts when he just gets bottled up in the mess leaving middle wide open. I like Pete. Love what he brings. Is it all on him that I can’t say. Let Waldron call plays but is Russ ignoring checks for sideline tosses. It’s hard to say. I think Russ is gone sadly regardless what happens minus winning the SB. Heaven forbid the game throws his first interception in a game trying to win and everyone wants to ship him off a la last year. Even if Pete is some how dismissed I think 3 vacates, so Pete gets sent packing who is our new hire everyone gets excited about?? Tough sledding with schedule/division but we’re 1-2 and with the history this team has I believe we’ll see a run. Sell us off and put a chip on the shoulder, that’s what we need. Team has always been the best when underrated. If it doesn’t happen things are going to get ugly, and will linger for some time. Cheer up. Go f’n Hawks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Pete ties his own hands by stubbornly refusing to change anything once the kickoff happens. It's all part of his war of attrition philosophy. He's playing the game like it's 1998 still.

TraderGary

Reaction score
AubHawk71":1x86nlit said:
Pete ties his own hands by stubbornly refusing to change anything once the kickoff happens. It's all part of his war of attrition philosophy. He's playing the game like it's 1998 still.

Because it's all he knows.

hawk45

Reaction score
Pete isn’t getting fired after one season without making the playoffs. Regardless of how one feels about that, does anyone seriously entertain that notion as a possibility? Seriously?

Russ isn’t getting traded either.

I mean good lord.