Rumors are Russ is unhappy with O line.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ptwzjjc said:
Then the FO better wake up.

ALL franchise QBs have a right to a seat at the executive table now.

The days of doing what you are told when the coach tells you are over the moment one guy is not only responsible for 25% of your cap but also the literal face of your franchise.

He is now your brand and your success/failure is going to depend on enabling his success.

As they should be. Not winning only affects the legacy of QB's. No one cares if a great WR or RB was on teams that never won. If my legacy was on the line, then I'd damn sure want a say in things like who our coordinators are and what type of gameplanning we're doing.

RCATES

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":3j59x34o said:
TwistedHusky":3j59x34o said:
Then the FO better wake up.

ALL franchise QBs have a right to a seat at the executive table now.

The days of doing what you are told when the coach tells you are over the moment one guy is not only responsible for 25% of your cap but also the literal face of your franchise.

He is now your brand and your success/failure is going to depend on enabling his success.

As they should be. Not winning only affects the legacy of QB's. No one cares if a great WR or RB was on teams that never won. If my legacy was on the line, then I'd damn sure want a say in things like who our coordinators are and what type of gameplanning we're doing.

Who cares who they are. It's Russ who always shits the bed down the stretch and into the playoffs. Every year the same thing. But yet we blame everyone else. Hilarious

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
There's a reasonable middle ground here.

It's alright to acknowledge that the OL has been a huge problem for almost the full 9 season Russ has played in the league. It's also plain to see that the OL was not especially bad last season, and in fact may have been slightly ABOVE average with its starting lineup in pass protection. It's fine to acknowledge that Russ is a great quarterback but holds the damn ball for too long.

With that being said, Russ was probably on his last nerve going into this season and is no longer willing to settle for an average line with a shoddy scheme. I was pleased with the offensive line play last season... as a fan, who is more willing to acknowledge improvement when I'm not the one who has been teed off on for the previous 8 years.

It's time to keep him happy and seriously invest in his protection. Russell is the franchise, and has always been a selfless leader. He knows that he's getting up there, and to be the greatest, he needs more help. Help that all the greats that he wants to be named among have received from their organizations.

Go all-in on the line. Move cap around. Pull all the strings you can. Russ has more than earned it, and honestly, we should be glad he isn't as pissed about this as a Brady or Rodgers would be. Period.

Overpay for Linsley or Thuney to solidify the interior. Keep Brown and Shell happy while looking for long-term replacements. If you strike out on Linsley, either go to bat with Pocic as the weakest link (not that weak as far as weak links go) or address the spot in the draft. I'd say make a home-run package for Orlando Brown Jr., but he's not an immediate upgrade at left tackle, and he will NOT play right tackle... which is why he wants a trade. Russ wants results now.

This is, in my opinion, NOT the optimal way to bolster the roster - but Russell is the crown jewel of this organization. If he's unhappy, you get him what he wants. He has not been unreasonable, and believe me, any other quarterback of his caliber would've been VERY unreasonable by now.

I love Pete, I love John, and I love Russ. This time, Pete needs to cave to his star, or the party is over.

A_Biased_Fan

Reaction score
Jerhawk":3qdc5uqb said:
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article249124930.html

Straight from his mouth. No more rumors or speculation.
He's tired of the rain. Tired of the Space Needle. Tired of it all and wants to take his talents elsewhere.

The time has come. Prepare the Geno!

I think a lot of people aren't even reading these reports and just basing their opinions on headlines. Things Russell said, he's tired of being hit, the line needs to be play better, he needs to be play better, he desperately wants to play in the big game again, and he thinks Waldron has the it factor and is going to be a great coordinator.

That doesn't sound like a guy who wants out like Watson does. That sounds like a guy who wants the team to go all out, personnel wise and scheme wise, to get back to the SB. And he put himself in that equation, saying he himself needs to be better as well.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Best way the FO can support Russ this off season is to:

1) Hire a new offensive coordinator who will implement a balanced attack – Check.
2) Continue to upgrade the O-line – guard and center – Pending.
3) Draft a stud RB who will make defenses respect the run game. Pending.
4) Find a reliable third down target, whether that’s a WR, RB or TE. Pending.

On Russ side, here’s where he can improve this off season:

1) Hit receivers in stride on crossers like Mahomes can do with regularity
2) Learn to attack the entire field and let players around him make plays
3) Drop few pounds / get faster / quicker
4) Get better at pre-snap reads / be ready audible when needed

misfit

Reaction score
this is a russ vs pete situation

and if this team has a brain they will ride w/ Russ all the way

Jerhawk

Reaction score
A_Biased_Fan":cxjnwk6z said:
Jerhawk":cxjnwk6z said:
https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/article249124930.html

He's tired of the rain. Tired of the Space Needle. Tired of it all and wants to take his talents elsewhere.

I think a lot of people aren't even reading these reports and just basing their opinions on headlines. Things Russell said, he's tired of being hit, the line needs to be play better, he needs to be play better, he desperately wants to play in the big game again, and he thinks Waldron has the it factor and is going to be a great coordinator.

That doesn't sound like a guy who wants out like Watson does. That sounds like a guy who wants the team to go all out, personnel wise and scheme wise, to get back to the SB. And he put himself in that equation, saying he himself needs to be better as well.

I did read the article. He's frustrated with getting hit.
You don't hear QBs talk like that TO THE MEDIA.

Thats the biggest thing here, he's airing his grievances to the media, not keeping it in house. And in the article provided, he doesn't take responsibility. He's just stirring up all this junk for no reason.

If he would've kept it in the locker room that's one thing. Now he's throwing his coaches and personel under the bus for everyone to see. Not acceptable for being the face of the franchise and the QB!

And especially since a lot of these hits and sacks he takes are on him if he could properly read the defense and release the ball to take the 5 yards and move on

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2d3ezfxb said:
A_Biased_Fan":2d3ezfxb said:
Jerhawk":2d3ezfxb said:

Thats the biggest thing here, he's airing his grievances to the media, not keeping it in house. And in the article provided, he doesn't take responsibility. He's just stirring up all this junk for no reason.

If he would've kept it in the locker room that's one thing. Now he's throwing his coaches and personel under the bus for everyone to see. Not acceptable for being the face of the franchise and the QB!

And especially since a lot of these hits and sacks he takes are on him if he could properly read the defense and release the ball to take the 5 yards and move on

While there are facets of this I do agree with, we often times do see great quarterbacks airing their grievances to the media. Rodgers and Brady have both done it before, and for less significant things that 8 years of bad OL play, even if I do agree that they were not the main culprit of the inflated sack total this year.

Russ probably has a bit of a short fuse on the issue at this point, and he's personally motivated to be the best. He wants that all-in supporting cast... and, frankly, I get it.

I understand how this could rub fans the wrong way, especially with it being out of character for the generally-selfless Wilson... but the end of the day, if he succeeds in using his leverage to the best of his ability, the team is probably going to be better for it.

I mean, the worst that probably comes of this is the team overpaying for a good offensive lineman in free agency.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He also is unhappy with corona, traffic, and wants world peace. This doesn’t seem like anything more than saying water is wet.

ducks41468

Reaction score
hoxrox":18duqym4 said:
Best way the FO can support Russ this off season is to:

1) Hire a new offensive coordinator who will implement a balanced attack – Check.
2) Continue to upgrade the O-line – guard and center – Pending.
3) Draft a stud RB who will make defenses respect the run game. Pending.
4) Find a reliable third down target, whether that’s a WR, RB or TE. Pending.

On Russ side, here’s where he can improve this off season:

1) Hit receivers in stride on crossers like Mahomes can do with regularity
2) Learn to attack the entire field and let players around him make plays
3) Drop few pounds / get faster / quicker
4) Get better at pre-snap reads / be ready audible when needed

What is this balanced post? Don't you know that Russ needs to be shipped out for a third and replaced with Geno?

Incidentally, I periodically peruse reddit and other broader NFL boards and of course the fans that hate Russ the most are overwhelmingly Seahawks fans. Unique phenomenon compared to every other team.

5thgen

Reaction score
Brady is giving tampa at least 10M/yr discount and there are talks of restructuring so they can keep key players for a repeat. It's either SB rings or money and no rings.

When you're already making 25M/yr, a few million extra a yr ain't gonna change your lifestyle much.

hawks85

Reaction score
Before Wilson starts complaining, I urge Wilson to go back and re-watch every game from this season, and count how many times players were wide open in the flat before you got sacked or threw it away. Start there Wilson

ducks41468

Reaction score
5thgen":30j33a8i said:
Brady is giving tampa at least 10M/yr discount and there are talks of restructuring so they can keep key players for a repeat. It's either SB rings or money and no rings.

When you're already making 25M/yr, a few million extra a yr ain't gonna change your lifestyle much.

Where are these numbers coming from?

I mean if we're making up numbers then hell, Russ should take a 900 billion dollar paycut so that we can sign Lebron, Godzilla, and Barney the dinosaur to play o-line and have Russ throw the ball 5 seconds before its snapped to a receiver that's simultaneously 50 yards downfield wide open in the endzone and also onside.

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2020/

ducks41468

Reaction score
hawks85":2w76zjze said:
Before Wilson starts complaining, I urge Wilson to go back and re-watch every game from this season, and count how many times players were wide open in the flat before you got sacked or threw it away. Start there Wilson

Why don't you start there? Go through the film of every QB this year and provide a detailed breakdown comparing the amount of times each QB missed a receiver that was "open". With screenshots.

Don't spin your wheels on it but have it on my desk by 6 pm. Get to work.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3lhy6uco said:
Jerhawk":3lhy6uco said:
A_Biased_Fan":3lhy6uco said:
Jerhawk":3lhy6uco said:

While there are facets of this I do agree with, we often times do see great quarterbacks airing their grievances to the media. Rodgers and Brady have both done it before, and for less significant things that 8 years of bad OL play, even if I do agree that they were not the main culprit of the inflated sack total this year.

Russ probably has a bit of a short fuse on the issue at this point, and he's personally motivated to be the best. He wants that all-in supporting cast... and, frankly, I get it.

I understand how this could rub fans the wrong way, especially with it being out of character for the generally-selfless Wilson... but the end of the day, if he succeeds in using his leverage to the best of his ability, the team is probably going to be better for it.

I mean, the worst that probably comes of this is the team overpaying for a good offensive lineman in free agency.

Pretty sure the people on this board have never seen another team play. If they saw Russ mouthing off like Brady did to Matheiu in the SB they would probably faint and then throw a tantrum about perfume lines and missing receivers.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
ducks41468":zps023a5 said:
5thgen":zps023a5 said:

I mean if we're making up numbers then hell, Russ should take a 900 billion dollar paycut so that we can sign Lebron, Godzilla, and Barney the dinosaur to play o-line and have Russ throw the ball 5 seconds before its snapped to a receiver that's simultaneously 50 yards downfield wide open in the endzone and also onside.

Shows $31 mil in the link provided.

He can't be the highest paid player on the team, then turn around and cry about not having protection. If he truly is about winning, then restructure the contract to give the team some cap relief and get the help.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I rarely criticize Wilson but this is what he should have been thinking about when asking for that contract. The highest paid QB from the time signing rarely wins the SB the next following years. He needs to restructure his contract or leave. Simple as that.

Here's a list of the top 10 highest paid QB's this past season
1. Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes: $45 million
2. Texans QB Deshaun Watson: $39 million
3. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
4. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $34 million
5.Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
5. Rams QB Jared Goff: $33.5 million
7. Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $33 million
8. Eagles QB Carson Wentz: $32 million
9. Cowboys QB Dak Prescott: $$30.1 million
10. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million

Only 1 of those quarterbacks has a title in the past 6 years (Mahomes). I understand people like money as do I but it makes Russ look like a fool when he comes out and says hes not happy with his Oline. I hope MLB never adds a salary cap!

ducks41468

Reaction score
Jerhawk":12zsp97g said:
ducks41468":12zsp97g said:
5thgen":12zsp97g said:

He can't be the highest paid player on the team, then turn around and cry about not having protection. If he truly is about winning, then restructure the contract to give the team some cap relief and get the help.

What does this response have to do with my post? Read it again.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
ducks41468":3erb1y39 said:
Jerhawk":3erb1y39 said:
ducks41468":3erb1y39 said:
5thgen":3erb1y39 said:

What does this response have to do with my post? Read it again.

I honestly cant figure out what you're saying man.
Barney? Godzilla?

You responded to the poster who said Wilson is making $25 million. You provided a link that shows Wilson is actually making $31 million, so I really don't know what you're getting other than overly obnoxious and condescending responses throughout the board.

Latest posts