Russ and QB Sneaks

strohmin

Reaction score
Did he ever throw 40 something times a game on purpose?
There was the Kansas city game vs mahomes and a texans games vs Watson where it was pretty high scoring shoot out. Im not sure how many times he threw though.

rcaido

Reaction score
Wilson went off in that Houston shootout. He had like 450yards & 4 TDs. Got the game winning TD drive w/ less 1:30 left. Rawls & Lacey had a combine -1yrds in rushing in 12 carries. Wilson carried the Seahawks that year and should have gotten the MVP.

keasley45

Reaction score
Laughing out loud to all the geniuses on this site that said Russ sucked, can't read defenses, can't run anymore, oh and my favorite, he's washed up. Same geniuses who now say Geno sucks and is washed up.

Clearly the system they were and are in sucks along with its head coach and OCs. Not to mention the garbage OLines they had/have to play behind. But ya it's the QBs. 🙄

Told ya, seahawks let the wrong person walk. 🤷...

Seriously? He's being forced to do what he bitched about doing here. His performance during their winning streak was 100% that of a manager in support of a defense that is winning games for the team. His last game... wasn't he 13 - 22 with a TD and a fumble lost and 130 something yards?

Sure. He's cooking... cereal. Which IS EXACTLY what Pete wanted him to do. PC just didn't have the balls that Payton does to force him to do it. Payton sees his deficiencies and works around them, which is why you rarely see Russ throwing for more than 200 yards a game (more often much less), and their offense is still anemic in terms of yards per play. Then again, after the abomination that was last year, Duss didn't have much choice but to humble himself and listen.

strohmin

Reaction score
That wasn’t the question
No i get it, I should have phrased it better. My point being that I dont think Russell would have this revival without a change of scenery and being humbled. I dont think that would have happened in Seattle and I dont think Jody Allen is the type who would be savy enough to pursue Sean Payton.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Y'know what's crazy

Even though he's doing well overall, he's still already taken 33 sacks on the year lol

He's on pace for his career 4th highest sack per dropback ratio

strohmin

Reaction score
Wilson went off in that Houston shootout. He had like 450yards & 4 TDs. Got the game winning TD drive w/ less 1:30 left. Rawls & Lacey had a combine -1yrds in rushing in 12 carries. Wilson carried the Seahawks that year and should have gotten the MVP.
I dunno, other than the Houston game and maybe the philadelphia game, we beat a bunch of bad teams and lost to some bad teams. Tom Brady deserved the mvp that year more than Russell. However looking at new englands schedule that year, I guess New England beat a bunch of bad teams as well.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
No i get it, I should have phrased it better. My point being that I dont think Russell would have this revival without a change of scenery and being humbled. I dont think that would have happened in Seattle and I dont think Jody Allen is the type who would be savy enough to pursue Sean Payton.
This is why, despite his resurgence & Geno's regression, I still think the trade was the right move.

strohmin

Reaction score
This is why, despite his resurgence & Geno's regression, I still think the trade was the right move.
agreed but I also wanted Pete gone as well because it doesnt seem like pete will ever get the most out of the player like he once could.

Xxx

Reaction score
Man I Payton came here who knows

rcaido

Reaction score
Y'know what's crazy

Even though he's doing well overall, he's still already taken 33 sacks on the year lol

He's on pace for his career 4th highest sack per dropback ratio

Those sacks are misleading...Despite having 33 sacks, he only has given up 164yards loss. That's not even top 10, he is the middle of the pack at 15th. Compared to Geno, he has been sacked 27 times and is in the top 5 in yards loss w/ 210yrd. Lot of his sacks are at the line of scrimmage trying to make plays.

I dunno, other than the Houston game and maybe the philadelphia game, we beat a bunch of bad teams and lost to some bad teams. Tom Brady deserved the mvp that year more than Russell. However looking at new englands schedule that year, I guess New England beat a bunch of bad teams as well.
Patriots pretty much had the easiest division for that decade. Bills, Jets, & Dolphins were dumpster fire and was a complete cakewalk for Brady. Meanwhile Wilson had to go against 49ers, Rams, & Cardinals arguably the most competitive division that decade.

That 2017 was complete bullshit too w/ Blair Walsh project. He cost the team 3wins for missing FGs. I still cant believe we actually signed a guy who miss a 27yard field goal to try to beat us the following season. We ended up getting rid of Haucsh Money! Who ever decided that needs to be slapped, cost us the playoffs.

hawker84

Reaction score
His Play?i'd say it's more the Denver D and teams gifting them easy turnovers..
Makes it too easy for a QB and the offense.
Sean has him neutered and I love how you nuthuggers jump on a win thinking
the almighty #3 is back.
Denvers D was terrible, most would say it's why they started so slow out the gate this season. 👌

olyfan63

Reaction score
Russ did have some great years with a higher volume, no line and a terrible running game. We way overuse this angle with Russ even if there is an element of truth to it.
I think around that time, after 2015, NFL DC's started to figure Russ out, and it was hard for Russell to excel as the gunslinger he wanted to be. Russell seemed to understand single-high safety looks well enough, then teams figured out that he struggled vs two-high shell types of looks, so they started showing him a lot of that. Russell does NOT read defenses at the level of a Brady or Peyton, nowhere close. Even though he struggled to carry an offense with his passing at times, he does read some types of things well, like how he read the Packers' zero blitz in the NFCCG and threw the ball to Kearse for the walk-off, Super Bowl ticket TD. In fact he did a similar thing multiple times last game, vs the Browns, reading multiple blitzers, and throwing up a ball to Courtland Sutton for a nice completion or a PI.

To me it looks like Sean Payton is a much better OC and schemer that anyone the Seahawks have ever had. The Broncos *should* have a depleted roster after having squat for impact draft picks. Somehow, the Broncos are fielding an O-Line that is opening holes in the run game and giving Russell enough time to throw. Somehow, the Broncos are fielding a defense that is now generating turnovers and making red zone stops, despite giving up that 70-burger earlier this season to the Dolphins.

In any case, Payton has figured out how to maximize Russell and get him to play to his strengths. The Broncos strong run game opens up the play-action that Russell excels at. I've noticed a few more middle-of-the-field throws. Some (Sherm) say Pete treated Russell with kid gloves, like a delicate china doll. Seems like Payton has been very direct and clear with Russell about what he wants and has even gotten Russell to change and improve parts of his game. It seems to me like Russell and the Broncos are doing a little better at the 3rd and 4 types of situations that Russell sucked at with the Seahawks.

The receivers seem to have figured out the scramble drill much better, especially Sutton, but also Jeudy, and (IIRC) rookie Mims, TE Dulcich, and the rest. The scramble drill competence was totally missing last year, so I'll credit Payton's influence.

Some of my favorite memories of Russell are from his gunslinger games, which to me are these:
* Beating 2nd year Patrick Mahomes in a shootout
* Beating DeShaun Watson and the Texans in a shootout
* Beating Ben Rothlisberger and the Steelers in a shootout

It's actually kind of fun watching the Broncos now, and Russell seems to have bought into the Payton way, and is looking like a really good NFL QB again. I don't miss the version of Russell we had at the end of his time in Seattle, but it's also clear now that Geno+Waldron is not the answer, and the Hawks need a QBOTF, not just a better Tavaris Jackson.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Those sacks are misleading...Despite having 33 sacks, he only has given up 164yards loss. That's not even top 10, he is the middle of the pack at 15th. Compared to Geno, he has been sacked 27 times and is in the top 5 in yards loss w/ 210yrd. Lot of his sacks are at the line of scrimmage trying to make plays.

Patriots pretty much had the easiest division for that decade. Bills, Jets, & Dolphins were dumpster fire and was a complete cakewalk for Brady. Meanwhile Wilson had to go against 49ers, Rams, & Cardinals arguably the most competitive division that decade.

That 2017 was complete bullshit too w/ Blair Walsh project. He cost the team 3wins for missing FGs. I still cant believe we actually signed a guy who miss a 27yard field goal to try to beat us the following season. We ended up getting rid of Haucsh Money! Who ever decided that needs to be slapped, cost us the playoffs.
I know you're a big Russell fan, and I respect your opinion even when I see it differently. It's good to see him playing well, doing the things he does best. I was never rooting for him to suck as badly as he did last year, but he sure did suck badly at times. (Colts game was a low point) Geno has regressed to the mean, and Russell has returned to playing his game. You stuck with Russell and believed in him the whole time, that he would rebound and play well again, and it seems Russell is proving your faith was properly placed. Kudos!

P.S. I think Payton has kicked Russell's ass about taking big-yardage sacks, and that little dipsey-doodle reverse bail out of the back of the pocket thing Russell often does. Russell seems to move around within the pocket better, like what CJ Stroud excels at, not get sacked as deep, and sometimes his sacks are getting tripped a yard behind the line when he takes off to run, as you pointed out.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
Multiple things can be true at the same time, ya know. Russ needed to go, Geno needs to go and Pete probably needs to move on as well. I've lost faith in all of them. I can't unsee last year's Russ. Just knowing he has that pure suck deeply embedded in him is enough for me.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Be careful! It's SPICY!!!!!!

I think I prefer the 'underneath' subway grip the best of all of them.

omg....