Russ MVP

hoxrox

Reaction score
2020 i blame Pete for handcuffing him.
Gimme a break. Russ had 10 turnovers over a 4 game stretch in 2020. He handcuffed himself. The LRC campaign was a disaster once teams figured out he couldn't beat Cover 2.

In the playoff game that year, he put up abysmal numbers.

MVP in 2020? Was paid like one. But certainly didn't produce like one.

keasley45

Reaction score
Gimme a break. Russ had 10 turnovers over a 4 game stretch in 2020. He handcuffed himself. The LRC campaign was a disaster once teams figured out he couldn't beat Cover 2.

In the playoff game that year, he put up abysmal numbers.

View attachment 61875

MVP in 2020? Was paid like one. But certainly didn't produce like one.
If geno put up those numbers in a preseason game, the calls for his release would be endless. Russ laid that turd in the playoffs.

RiverDog

Reaction score
My point is MVP award is a joke and very subjective. MVP should stand for the best player in the league. He definitely wasn’t the best player that season. I’d argue that he wasn’t the best player on his own team that season.
I don't necessarily disagree. Except as it relates to the team's success, I'm not big on individual awards and achievements. They could do away with the MVP, the DPOY, the Pro Bowl, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

And quite frequently, the QB, RB, or WR is not the best player on their team even though they get an award like an MVP. Take 2005 as an example. IMO Walter Jones was heads and shoulders a better player than Shaun Alexander and was more instrumental in our team's success, but who got the MVP?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've seen multiple outlets say Russ was better that year but regardless it shows he was MVP level play so the idea "he's never gotten a vote because he's never been that good" is a little misleading at the least?
Once again, the issue is not whether or not Russell was "that good." If he played on a different team and performed at the same level as he did with us, then maybe he would have been deserving of an MVP. But when you play on a team with a lights out defense like our LOB years, it tends to make all offensive positions less important to the team's success. Had Russell taken a team like the 2014 Packers with the 14th ranked defense as Aaron Rodgers did or Matt Ryan taking the Falcons with the 27th ranked defense to the SB, then maybe Russ would have won the award.

My point is that the very term "Most Valuable" means that it is relative to the team they play on.

rcaido

Reaction score
MVP not only considers passing stats, but overall contribution to the team's success. Again, Carolina was #1 in PPG that year. The next team wasn't even close. Seattle was 7th.

View attachment 61872

Cam had 35 Passing TD + 10 Rushing TDs = 45 Total TDs.
RW had 34 Passing TD + 1 Rushing TD = 35 Total TDs.

Dudes need to take off their Russ-colored glasses. He clearly wasn't the most valuable that year.

So one category makes him the MVP? So whoever scores the most TDs should get MVP. Does that mean Josh Allen the clear MVP right now?

Why didn't Wilson win in 2017? He had the most TDs

Seahawker

Reaction score
With the Bronco's coming off an upset over the Bills on Monday night & currently on a 3 game winning streak, Courtland Sutton wants everyone to apologize to Russell Wilson.
So Seahawk fans pony-up your heartfelt sentiments here...
F  ygUVawAA2OzP

morgulon1

Reaction score
Not really Troll, Wanted to share the MSN article and searched to see if the topic was already being discussed per forum protocol. When I did this thread came up. Didn't look at the forum it was in before posting (Mods please move to NFL Nation). Russ is gone, but myself I hope he has a good future and also enjoy all the benefits we got with the trade. No I do not want him back, but would love to see one of our old team mates do good. I choose to hope the best for people rather than tear them down. Weird concept I know!
I generally wish ex Seahawks the best

Not this one.

morgulon1

Reaction score
It's hard to pick one season where Russ should have gotten a vote. 2017 was his best year statistically, but we went 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Unfortunately, his best seasons coincided with some all-time great statistical seasons. For example, Russ was excellent in '18, '19, and '20, but Mahomes had 51 TDs, Lamar had 43, and Rodgers had 51.
Yeah I think MVP goes out the window if your team isn't doing well.

Usually.

hoxrox

Reaction score
So one category makes him the MVP? So whoever scores the most TDs should get MVP. Does that mean Josh Allen the clear MVP right now?

Why didn't Wilson win in 2017? He had the most TDs
Pretty sure my other post mentioned overall contribution including rush stats and rush TDs. That made him very valuable to the success of his team, which made it to the SB that year. I mean 45 TDs vs 35 TDs... come on.

In 2017, Brady also put up amazing stats, elevated his team, and took them to a SB.

You need to look at the overall picture. Cam and Brady were definitely more valuable than Russ was to their teams in those respective years.

rcaido

Reaction score
Pretty sure my other post mentioned overall contribution including rush stats and rush TDs. That made him very valuable to the success of his team, which made it to the SB that year. I mean 45 TDs vs 35 TDs... come on.

In 2017, Brady also put up amazing stats, elevated his team, and took them to a SB.

You need to look at the overall picture. Cam and Brady were definitely more valuable than Russ was to their teams in those respective years.
Lol 2017 Russ less valuable. He was responsible for a NFL record of total offense points for the team w 86%. He led the Seahawks in Rushing. Almost doubled the next rb. He also had the most TD in the NFL. LOL

RiverDog

Reaction score
Fair enough but I still disagree. Russ was ultra critical that year. The running game isn't as good as it was without him, obviously. The dude had almost a thousand yards and its common knowledge when a QB is a threat it opens up the running game because you're defending two players. Pete/Bevell deserve credit too for the innovative offense. Russ had multiple game winning drives, come from behind victories and because he played mistake free football it allowed you to play defense ultra aggressively too. Russ was nowhere near a Dilfer or Johnson....not even remotely close. I have a DVD that goes through all their games and its obvious how much they relied on Wilson.

No one is arguing the didn't have an all time great defense, I think it's possibly the best ever but Dilfer had 1/4 of the production and that isn't a typo lol and averaged under 100 yards per game. Its dishonest to say him and Russ are in the same stratosphere for what they meant to their team. I could throw for 90 yards and almost a pick per game too just like Dilfer.
My point in bringing up Dilfer and Brad Johnson was that the defenses on their teams were so good that they did not need the quarterback to win games for them. They were not quarterback-centric teams just as we were from 2012-2015, ie the LOB years. We were run-first, finishing 1st/2nd/2nd/3rd in 2012,13,14, and 15 respectively in rushing attempts.

I agree, Russell was a very important contributor to our 2013 season and had it been Tavaris Jackson slinging the rock that year, we probably don't make it. But "ultra" critical? You could say the same thing about Beast, or Richard Sherman, or Earl Thomas, or Kam Chancellor. What we're talking here is "most valuable," a singular term.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Russell. He was a great player for us, especially in those early years, arguably the best QB in franchise history, and I'll be forever grateful to him for his role in what was without a doubt the best period of Seahawk football in franchise history. The discussion here is limited to how important he was to the Seahawks winning games vs. guys like Cam Newton was to the Panthers, Peyton Manning was to the Broncos, and so on.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Russell Wilson will always be the MVP to his fanboys on dot net. These diehard Wilson fanboys are just like Hiroo Onoda, the last Japanese soldier to surrender, in 1974, decades after his emperor surrendered. Onoda hided in the forest, Wilson fanboys hide on dot net, just like Onoda who refused to accept the war was over, our boys refuse to accept Wilson's MVP dream is over.

Last edited:

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
MVP possibilities aside (and very unlikely) I am stunned that Tater has appeared to be fairly diligent in following his coaches game plan thus far. He is handing off and making checkdown throws (at least in recent games) at a rate that astonishes me. I honestly thought he would be benched by now for going unauthorized "Hero Ball".
I'm sure SP let him know very directly what would happen if he didn't toe the line. He started the season trying his normal shtick with predictable results.

Threedee

Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree. Except as it relates to the team's success, I'm not big on individual awards and achievements. They could do away with the MVP, the DPOY, the Pro Bowl, and it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

And quite frequently, the QB, RB, or WR is not the best player on their team even though they get an award like an MVP. Take 2005 as an example. IMO Walter Jones was heads and shoulders a better player than Shaun Alexander and was more instrumental in our team's success, but who got the MVP?
I think it's a bit unfair to compare awards and distinctions with at least some actual significance to the Pro Bowl.

Latest posts